Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-11-2021, 11:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Project for fun target shooting - input wanted

Looking to start a project for a fun target rifle, not competition purposes. Since doing a lever & revolver fun project is on hold due to ammo/gun shortages & super high prices I figured I may look into another fun project. I probably already have to many gun projects, though my wife doesn't seem to mind, yet.... (Trying to pull her in slowly)..

Anyway back to topic. Looking for some input and feedback on items I'm interested in from the Calguns braintrust. First a bit of background. I already have a 10/22 takedown, which is great for plinking and a travel gun for fun when out and about in the forest, etc. However I do want some thing that will fun to shoot targets out to 100yds, maybe a little further, though I would rarely get the chance to go beyond 100 yds. Already have an AR for a defensive long gun and which will be more accurate and consistent at long ranges. Also looking for something that is easy to use, and potentially get my wife and kids interested in shooting.

My thinking so far:

1- Caliber
Want to stick to 22LR since I have a bit in stock. Low noise, recoil, etc. Don't really want to add another caliber, especially in the current climate. Also will be easier to get novices to use it without "side effects". It is also pretty accurate to 100 yds, though starts adding some "fun" due to drop and wind that needs to be accounted for. More powerful calibers you can pretty much point and shoot at 100 yds. So it will add a bit more thinking even at 100 yds as wind does impact 22LR, and different cartridges will add to the complexity.

2- Rifile
Thinking of getting a Ruger American rimfire, since I already have the magazines, loader, etc. Makes it easier to share with the 10/22. Want a bolt action as it is simple to use, and good for beginners to learn the basics without having to deal with semi-auto if there is a feed issue, etc. I have bolt actions to be more reliable than semi-auto with 22LR due to the overall poor quality of 22 rimfire ammo compared to centerfire. Also already have a 10/22 for semi-auto and plinking purposes, with a red dot for faster target acquisition.

I looked at the Ruger Precision Rimfire and just don't like the looks of it, and will likely add to the intimidation of novice young shooters (female). Since I don't plan on doing competitive things with it, probably not needed.

Looking at the Ruger American Rimfire, looks to be plenty accurate, like the looks of it. Not sure if the 22" barrel or 18" is the way to go. Don't think the 22" will add much in terms of accuracy, any ideas? Also the overall length of the 22" I can manage in my safe and rifle case, but will make things a bit more tight.

My preference is to the Ruger since I already have the 10/22 and mags, etc. I also like the elevated stock that comes with it, which should make it more conformable with a scope.

But perhaps I need to widen my thinking.

3 - Scope
I definitely need a scope with my eyesight to really see at 50 & 100 yds for more accurate shooting. I have used the peep sight on the AR and it does help, but at 100 yds my eyes are just not good enough anymore to precisely see the bullseye. I don't want to buy a scope that will cost more than the rifle, prefer something that will be clear but still budget friendly.

I saw the new Bushnell Banner II - 4-12x40 - the pricing seems good and I like to be able to get get a little higher in magnification to get a better picture. 12x with 40 will work best in good light, and I'm ok with that. Not planning on darner shooting. Something that can do 10x or better will be good, especially if the optics are clear in good light conditions.

I do like the app that comes with the DOA on the scope to estimate drop and will make it fun to play with different ammo and see/save profiles. May make target sessions fun, or frustrating???

Open to other ideas as well.

4 - Scope mount

Only saw a few Weaver mounts like this Weaver Quad Lock rings

But really no idea of what works, etc.
Also not sure if I need a little torque wrench to fit the rings properly or hand tight is GTG.

Anyway figure this may be a fun discussion, and hopefully I get some good ideas to build this project.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:23 AM

Ever thought about getting an Airgun in 22? It’s how I got my son interested and it’s cheap ammo in these times...trigger time is trigger time.

IF it were me, if I didn’t go air rifle. Maybe a 10/22 non takedown? More accuracy and you’ll be able to share most parts & a little cash on the way....maybe a win/win with the wife too....she may not notice a “new” 10/22. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2021, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

If you want to continue to use accessories you already have, then it sounds like a Ruger something is what you want for a rifle.

As far as scopes, I put a Cabelas 3-9x40 rimfire scope on my Savage Mkii and it's more than adequate. Under $100 and I expect to get long service from it. You might also look for used scopes. I also have a Bushnell scope that came with the Savage and it works just fine. I've shot mini-Palma matches with the Savage and while my scores are nothing to write home about, they sure weren't the scope's fault.

However if you want to take on the 300 yard egg challenge, you might need something a little better.
Old 01-11-2021, 2:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalZen View Post
Ever thought about getting an Airgun in 22? It’s how I got my son interested and it’s cheap ammo in these times...trigger time is trigger time.

IF it were me, if I didn’t go air rifle. Maybe a 10/22 non takedown? More accuracy and you’ll be able to share most parts & a little cash on the way....maybe a win/win with the wife too....she may not notice a “new” 10/22. Lol
I will probably go with my buddy, who has a number of good airguns in a few weeks. DO some plinking with the 10/22 and his airguns, may see. Though I would like something that can reach out to 100 yards reliably, not sure airguns are the way to go.

My wife probably doesn't care if I get another 10/22, I just like some different options. Figured a bolt may play nice with some different ammo options, though the 10/22 has been fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
If you want to continue to use accessories you already have, then it sounds like a Ruger something is what you want for a rifle.

As far as scopes, I put a Cabelas 3-9x40 rimfire scope on my Savage Mkii and it's more than adequate. Under $100 and I expect to get long service from it. You might also look for used scopes. I also have a Bushnell scope that came with the Savage and it works just fine. I've shot mini-Palma matches with the Savage and while my scores are nothing to write home about, they sure weren't the scope's fault.

However if you want to take on the 300 yard egg challenge, you might need something a little better.
She's cute, but not sure if she got the memo that it is a bad idea to shoot across roads Though 300 yds with a 10x scope, her eyesight is obviously much better than mine. I don't think I will hit an egg at 300 yards with a 22 and a 10x scope. May have to try it sometime, once I get my setup sorted.
Old 01-11-2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNGGlock View Post

She's cute, but not sure if she got the memo that it is a bad idea to shoot across roads Though 300 yds with a 10x scope, her eyesight is obviously much better than mine. I don't think I will hit an egg at 300 yards with a 22 and a 10x scope. May have to try it sometime, once I get my setup sorted.
Shooting across roads is fine.....in Switzerland.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1657917
Old 01-11-2021, 6:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Guess this answers the 18 vs 22" barrels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfjs-XykIiQ

The 18 gives the same velocity as the 22 inches, so smaller and likely going to be more accurate as well. Guess that why it costs more. They even have a more expensive target model with bull barrel, that goes well beyond the $400 mark - not sure if that is worth it.
Old 01-12-2021, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNGGlock View Post
Guess this answers the 18 vs 22" barrels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfjs-XykIiQ

The 18 gives the same velocity as the 22 inches, so smaller and likely going to be more accurate as well. Guess that why it costs more. They even have a more expensive target model with bull barrel, that goes well beyond the $400 mark - not sure if that is worth it.
From what I’ve heard all the powder is burned up in the first 16-18 inches so the only reason to have a longer barrel is when using iron sights vs scope.
Rutgers are great guns but I prefer CZ’s in rimfires. If this is for kids the CZ Scout is a great beginner gun.
Old 01-12-2021, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Barrel length would matter depending on what ammo you use. I like an 18ish when using standard velocity ammos. My preference is to have the bullet leave at subsonic so it doesnt have to immediately go through the transonic jumble. So if you use faster ammo a 22ish barrel can increase accuracy.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe47 View Post
From what I’ve heard all the powder is burned up in the first 16-18 inches so the only reason to have a longer barrel is when using iron sights vs scope.
Rutgers are great guns but I prefer CZ’s in rimfires. If this is for kids the CZ Scout is a great beginner gun.
I'm with Joe. I'm suggesting CZ 457 for bolt action 22 (tikka t1x). Both the CZs and Tikkas run neck in neck for high quality, accurate, low cost bolt actions (there are others of course). There are a wide variety of CZ 457 models...I know you want the kids/wife to shoot, but we all know you will be the heavy user lol. If you really want to shoot 50 and 100 yards, these guns can shoot tight groups. Nothing is funner than accurate shooting...and these guns will make it addicting. I personally have a CZ, but it was a flip of the coin CZ vs Tikka.

For ammo, you want to use standard velocity target ammo for the best accuracy. If you can get bricks of CCI standard velocity, get as much as you can. Otherwise, there is target ammo in the whole spectrum of quality/price.

For scope, I'm thinking you need something that goes to 20X or higher. If you really want to shoot out to 100y and see the bullet holes, you need magnification. Let's face it, our eyes aren't getting any younger. Plus who wants to lug around a spotting scope if you can avoid it. ALSO, you need a scope that has adjustable parallax down to rimfire ranges bc I'm sure the kids and wife will be shooting a lot at close in. You will need to do some homework to get the right price point/features combo you want. You'll get a lot of vortex suggestions. I also suggest the Athlon Midas TAC 6-24×50, which has parallax adjustment down to 10 yards. Athlon also has lots of models, so you'll be able to find something you like. Bushnell has some quality scopes too. You can do some research at rimfire central and snipers hide. I keep saying to pick up scopes at camera land NY, Europtics, or sport optic. Definitely stay away from "Optics Planet" lol. Good optics cost money...so be prepared to lay out some cash in that department. Your eyes will thank you later, and you'll be able to clearly see at 100 yards and beyond. You will prob see solid recommendations for the Vortex Viper diamondback tactical 6-24x50 and Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 6x24x50.

Get some good rings and torque them properly...you don't want to be an ignoramus and destroy an expensive scope. I have a wheeler torque wrench, but since I got a nifty fixit sticks kit, the wheeler never sees the light of day. Fixit sticks are so handy. I wish I just spent the money on them up front.

Good luck! It seems like everything is out of stock these days, so you would do well to research carefully and be patient. In fact, don't spend a dollar until you've researched a ton.

You'll be well on your way to shooting solid groups at 100 yards no problem.

Last edited by Peahi2; 01-15-2021 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-16-2021, 3:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks guys, I may need to expand my rifle brand search a bit, not that anything is in stock currently. Was hoping not to have to add another magazine type to the mix, but not a big deal with a bolt action.
Old 01-16-2021, 4:10 PM

My 10/22 takedown is finicky like a cat. Won't eat much bulk stuff. .22LR it likes are CCI Mini-mags, Winchester M-22 and funny enough Remington Golden Bullets. All else is usually jam-o-matic.

How ammo selective is your current Ruger? My thoughts paralleling yours was to get a bolt action (or pistol) to shoot what my 10/22 won't cycle.
Old 01-16-2021, 7:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My 10/22 has worked with everything I have fed it, was a bit finiky with Norma when it was new. Now it runs fine with everything I have fed it.
I just cleaned and lubed it with MPro7. Some guys have issues with the stock and how the mag fits, causing issues. Mine runs great with pretty much everything now. Though I only used Federal, mini mags, golden bullet, norma tac, aguila hv.
Old 03-03-2021, 2:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just to close the loop on this. I ended up with a Ruger American Rimfire, got the compact model due to availability, but it was reasonably priced at SW ($349). I got the normal stock drop ins with high comb for the scope from Ruger. The nice thing is that it cam with the high comb stock on the compact size to take the girls out with.

Got a BSA 4-12x40 Sweet 22 - which has the turrets for 22LR, comes with the rings ready for the RAR 22LR. Figured it is worth a shot at $80 (on Amazon).

Also added a Harris bipod I had from another project.

Didn't want to break to bank for fun target rifle and maybe a trainer as well for the kids.

It al ready to go, need to go zero it, and see how it does with bulk ammo. Not expecting target rifle accuracy, more economy fun.

A few interesting tid bits, the RAR was missing the trigger set screw (contacted Ruger support to get it. Trigger is pretty light at a hair over 3lbs, will see how it feels on the range. The BSA scope crosshairs are not 100% aligned on the turrets, had to use a plumb bob to get the crosshair lined up (used a flash light through the scope to the wall - in reverse). The bolt is a little tight, even after lubing, hopefully will loosen up a bit with use. All in all not too bad for an economy build.
Old 03-04-2021, 6:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Took it to the range today. Need to make a few adjustments, the high comb on the stock wasn't comfortable, switching to the stock comb on the standard pull. Also need to figure out the focus adjustment better, had issues getting the target in focus only to find out that the eye piece can adjust a lot more than I noticed at the range (which would have helped accuracy).

Overall it did OK after I zeroed it, still not great as I had a lot fo fliers. I tested Norma TAC SV, CCI Mini Mag 40gr, Federal HV 40gr bulk. It seemed to like the Federal the best.

The BSA Sweet 22 turret seemed to work fine with HV ammo, zeroed at 50yds and the 100 yd setting was good.

At 25 yds
Federal

CCI

I struggled at 100yds due to focus, hopefully next time it will be better. Also the comb and positioning was hard to get a good target picture through the scope.

100yds with Federal. I'm sure with som adjustments and getting used to the setup it will improve.

The setup was fun to take out and a bolt action uses less ammo