Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Transition from desktop to laptop

Is it as simple as cloning the desktop ssd to the laptop? Or do all the applicatons and data have to be reinstalled?
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 01-13-2021, 11:03 AM

All of your applications have to be reinstalled (if Microsoft, you probably have to be repurchased).
Your data can be copied drive to drive.
Old 01-13-2021, 5:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well that's discouraging.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 01-13-2021, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
All of your applications have to be reinstalled (if Microsoft, you probably have to be repurchased).
Many Microsoft apps can be installed on multiple devices. I am told that the OS, I assume W10, can be transferred if it was a bought version but not when it was OEM, but I have not had the opportunity to test that yet.
Old 01-14-2021, 1:47 AM

The applications have to be reinstalled, and it is better this way, they are portable apps or PortableApps.

The data can be simply transferred over. Best to use a utility like 'Fast Copier' to verify by checksum that everything transferred flawlessly (no corruption).
Old 01-14-2021, 6:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post

This.

But you can still buy Office for XP on fleabay. Just download the 2007 and later patches, and it'll run on Win10 even. You can use it as MANY times as you want, with the authentication code. I can't remember how many computers of mine I've installed it on since 2002!
Old 01-14-2021, 8:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use Acronis to backup the entire SSD. It has been my understanding that if my desktop were stolen or destroyed all I needed to do was restore that backup on a new machine. That's not the way it works?
CRPA Member

~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 01-14-2021, 8:34 AM

Fyi,
Simply take out the ssd from the desktop and install it in the laptop. Everything should work. As is, then simply go to the laptop manufacturer website and under support download drivers for your laptop. Ive done many times myself without issue
Old 01-14-2021, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you do a bare metal restore it is a big problem. There is stuff in the installed OS that is unique to the CPU, Northbridge and Southbridge chips, audio chips, video chips, network chips, etc.

The first time you boot the restored drive in a new PC Windows will go crazy trying to update itself. Chances are it will not be stable afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
I use Acronis to backup the entire SSD. It has been my understanding that if my desktop were stolen or destroyed all I needed to do was restore that backup on a new machine. That's not the way it works?
Old 01-14-2021, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

What OS is on the new laptop?

If it's Windows Pro, I'd leave it. The reinstall your apps on the new computer. You may have to call MS to get new pass codes.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 01-14-2021, 12:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
What OS is on the new laptop?

If it's Windows Pro, I'd leave it. The reinstall your apps on the new computer. You may have to call MS to get new pass codes.
The OS on the laptop will be Win 10 Pro 64 bit same as on the desktop.
CRPA Member

~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 01-14-2021, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Then, unfortunately because of the way MS apps work, your best bet is to do new installs of all apps you want on the new computer. Then hook up to the old drive and copy over all files you want.

On a Mac, there are applications that can clone your drive to another drive. I used one to copy everything on my wife's old drive to a new drive. I then swapped drives and all I needed was a new pass code from MS for the Office apps and I was good to go.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 01-14-2021, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

Apparently there are now cloning apps for MS OS. Here's one for 20 dollars:

https://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/clo...windows-7.html

Old 01-14-2021, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a good review of various options:

https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/...ning-software/

If you can, try and find one that will just copy apps and leave he OS alone.

Old 01-14-2021, 1:31 PM

You guys are slaughtering Featureless.

You cannot just clone one drive onto another that would be going on a wholly different motherboard and chipset without running into problems.
Old 01-14-2021, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is way above my paygrade, I wouldn't even attempt it. I'll check into hiring a local IT person. It is disappointing though about the Acronis backup. I thought it could do a bare metal startup on a new machine. Was using Shadow Protect before, which claims that ability, but it was too complicated for me.

I'm self employed, one man office. The desktop is my business machine, it's got several versions of QuickBooks, multiple years of tax prep software, amortization software, and the usual MS Office apps plus Thunderbird for email and some other cloud accounting stuff on it.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to transition to the laptop and use docking stations for both the office and home in order to have a standard size monitor, keyboard and mouse in each location.

I also like the idea that everything on the machine will be with me rather than left at the office in case of a break in.
CRPA Member

~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 01-14-2021, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

Make sure you're doing comprehensive backups of everything.

Actually, another important question is, do you have a current backup of everything? If not, do that first in case the transfer goes bad and you loose everything. Always, always backup.

Old 01-14-2021, 2:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I do full backups every few days and incrementals in between on to an external ssd.
CRPA Member

~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 01-14-2021, 3:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This guy says it can be done. He's using Paragon software.

CRPA Member

~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 01-14-2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
If your new machine is exactly the same as your old, you can do that. There is a ton of stuff in the operating system that has to match the specific hardware pieces inside of the new machine, and that is best done during installation unless the new and old machine are pretty much an exact match inside. Otherwise the risks of missing something important being set up correctly, are just not worth the slight time savings.

To make this kind of thing easier, it's best to partition the main hard drive to have one partition for the operating system, and another for all your personal files. That includes databases that your email client, tax software, or financial software creates, which are often by default stored on the main OS partition - any software that stores your "creations" or work-in-progress needs to have its default options/preferences changes so that storage location is moved to your "data partition". That way you can just back up your data partition, without all the space needed to back up the OS, which is a pointless exercise if done that way (there are good reasons and ways to back up the OS, but that should be done separate from your personal files). That also facilitates refreshing or repairing the operating system if it gets corrupted, or you want to change to a different one, without having to go hunting on the OS partition for all your personal stuff before you over-write everything. If you don't do it that way, for sure you will remember that important working file that you forgot to grab, only after it is too late because your OS went down or got wiped for some other reason.
Old 01-14-2021, 5:47 PM

Give it a shot.

Clone your desktop hard drive onto your laptop's hard drive.
[Source: Desktop drive] [Target: Laptop drive]

(I am guessing there is nothing needed on the laptop drive?) as any data on there (the laptop drive) will be wiped out in the process:

you are cloning the entirety of the source drive [your desktop hard drive and all its hidden partitions] onto the source destination in a 1:1 copy [the laptop hard drive], unconcerned about disk size differences.

After this finishes, given that your operating systems are the same, there is a chance you will load into Windows but your operating system will be unstable: here we are already expecting dissimilar hardware components, requiring new device drivers before for the laptop.

Using the laptop, if possible, or another computer, go to the laptop manufacturer's website and download the Chipset drivers specific to your laptop model, install them it will ask you to reboot, reboot before doing anything else.

Then install the other laptop drivers you find on the laptop manufacturer's website for your specific model.

Once you finish installing all the available drivers, open 'Device Manager' and see to it that there are no yellow exclamation marks.

Test out the laptop. Open your important applications. See if they run properly. Reboot your laptop a few times and re-open the applications do confirm if everything is working as it should.