Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:01 AM

Default Remington U.S. Rifle, Model of 1917 Canadian returnee

This post is about the U.S. Model of 1917 rifle below:

I originally thought that this rifle was one of the 119,000 U.S. Model of 1917 rifles given to Great Britain in WW2 under the Lend Lease
Act. However, I have since found out the rifle was one of the over 200,000 sent to Canada instead under a different agreement.

The Broad Arrow within a "C" on the stock is a Canadian military acceptance stamp. The "31TC" unit designation on the stock may be a
reference to the Canadian "31st Brigade".

I don't know if it was a commonality between British and Canadian military, but the bolt has a serial number on the handle. The serial
number does not match the rifle's receiver serial number and is too high for a Remington M1917 manufacture. The bolt perhaps was
once used on a Eddystone made rifle.

The receiver and barrel were made within a month of each other in 1918, so I think that each is original factory assembly to each other.

The receiver is stamped with another Canadian Broad Arrow. Also, the follower has been shaved down so that the bolt will close when
the magazine is empty. If the rifle was used for training purposes, that little modification may have made drill inspection easier.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by loademup; 04-10-2021 at 9:27 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

The broad arrow inside the “C” indicates your rifle went to Canada.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
The broad arrow inside the “C” indicates your rifle went to Canada.
Thanks for the update. Good to know. I was off by 3600 miles. I found something about the Canadian M1917s on the Gunboards, CMP and other forums. Using your information, I did find a Canadian 31st Brigade Group unit active during WW2. So it is a wonder whether the unit marking on the stock is in reference to that unit. They still used M1917s for training purposes, and I have found some indications that "TC" after the "31" may mean "Training Center".

Last edited by loademup; 08-14-2019 at 8:51 AM..
Old 09-01-2019, 6:50 PM

I bought one earlier this year with red paint and faint "30.06" that you can barely make out on the stock. I read that these red painted rifles were given to the British Home Guards. 30.06 was marked to distinguish from the P14s that fired 303. I will post pictures of mine soon.
Old 09-02-2019, 7:12 AM

Default my 1917

Red paint and "30.06" marked on stock, follower ground down as well. Looks like it's originally made in 1918 based on serial number and barrel marking.

RS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1346.jpg (7.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1342.jpg (16.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1343.jpg (7.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1344.jpg (8.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-03-2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingsun212 View Post
I bought one earlier this year with red paint and faint "30.06" that you can barely make out on the stock. I read that these red painted rifles were given to the British Home Guards. 30.06 was marked to distinguish from the P14s that fired 303. I will post pictures of mine soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingsun212 View Post
Red paint and "30.06" marked on stock, follower ground down as well. Looks like it's originally made in 1918 based on serial number and barrel marking.

RS
Thanks for showing some pictures of your M1917. I see you have what looks like a broad arrow within a "C" on your rifle's stock too. My Canadian broad arrow marking is very faint and I had to magnify the picture greatly. Not knowing much about the Canadian Broad Arrow marking, I always thought the faint "C" was just part of an impression circle left from a stamp used to make the broad arrow...that's about a quarter of century misconception on my part.

I've read the same thing about the red paint around the front of the stock, that it helped distinguish the M1917s from the P14 .303 cartridge firing rifles.

I don't remember my rifle as having a "30.06" marking by the paint. As I said, I regret removing the paint from my rifle.

I mentioned my rifle was imported by CAI (Century Arms International) back in the 1990's. I wonder if your rifle was part of that batch and has a CAI import stamp on the barrel.

Regards!