Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
You might consider some prism scope offerings from Primary Arms, Vortex, or Burris. Or you could consider a used ACOG.
If you wanted to look through an ACOG, where would you go?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I believe the original you linked to is no longer in production, and that it is the one with the heavy "Pig Plex" script in the reticle.

This one appears to still be in production (and is available on opticsplanet for $229) and is the newer, much cleaner reticle that I prefer. I have both, and like both, but I like this one better. In my opinion, it is about perfect for a 45-70. I have the newer style on my 45-70 that I use for pigs and bison, and the older style on my .458 WinMag that I took to Africa.
https://www.leupold.com/reticles/ret...vx-freedom-181

Here's a thread where it came up a half a year or so ago.
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...light=pig+plex
Did you try hitting anything around dusk or dawn? I took my Guide Gun with me to TX and my takeaway after looking through it in low-light conditions where I could see, just a bit, with my unaided eye, was no es bueno. Works great in full sun, but I was in a blind over a feeder and couldn’t see doodly squat through the scope.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
Try your local gun shops. There's probably a couple in your area with them.

If not, you could check the Calguns Marketplace to see if there's anyone near you selling one.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Do you have Skinner peep Sights?

The 45/70 has an interesting trajectory.... I would look for maybe a 2 power with cross hatches to help use the cross hatches vs holdover.
Cartridge (Wb@MV) Bullet BC 100 yds. 200 yds. MRT@yds. MPBR (yds.)
45-70 (405 FP at 1330) .214 +1.3" -22.9" 3"@65 131

22" of drop at 200

If you are concerned about recoil, maybe a shotgun scope
a 1 ounce slug is 440 Grains @1800 FPS is pretty close to the 45-70 in energy

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...matte-bdc.html

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by hermosabeach; 07-10-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Do you have Skinner peep Sights?

The 45/70 has an interesting trajectory.... I would look for maybe a 2 power with cross hatches to help use the cross hatches vs holdover.
I put a Skinner on my 1895GBL and it's perfect for the .45-70. I can't imagine a much better cartridge for big stuff inside 100 yards, and I can't imagine a much worse rifle cartridge for anything past that, unless you're a mortarman.

For Sale: USFA SAA, S&W Model 27, Colt Police Positive .38 $325

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Did you try hitting anything around dusk or dawn? I took my Guide Gun with me to TX and my takeaway after looking through it in low-light conditions where I could see, just a bit, with my unaided eye, was no es bueno. Works great in full sun, but I was in a blind over a feeder and couldn’t see doodly squat through the scope.
I'm glad you pointed that out, I put a normal old Nikon 3-9 scope on my 45-70 1895 because I want to see in low/bad light and a good clear rifle scope will do just that. People really should take a rifle with a set of open iron sights and go out just after sunset and get deep into the thick trees and then look through those sights, they are going to be amazed at what they can and can't see. If they would put a brown piece of cardboard up next to a tree and look at those irons in low light at the target. Then try it with a scope. A good peep sight is so much better than a open or a crapy scope it's just dumb. Pull the trigger in that low light and it's muzzle flash blindness until your eye recovers.
Old 07-10-2019, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Try your local gun shops. There's probably a couple in your area with them. If not, you could check the Calguns Marketplace to see if there's anyone near you selling one.
I'll do that. Never tried one before, figure they are made to be knocked around without issue. But the main thing that has kept me from trying one is the co$t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
I'm glad you pointed that out, I put a normal old Nikon 3-9 scope on my 45-70 1895 because I want to see in low/bad light and a good clear rifle scope will do just that. People really should take a rifle with a set of open iron sights and go out just after sunset and get deep into the thick trees and then look through those sights, they are going to be amazed at what they can and can't see. If they would put a brown piece of cardboard up next to a tree and look at those irons in low light at the target. Then try it with a scope. A good peep sight is so much better than a open or a crapy scope it's just dumb. Pull the trigger in that low light and it's muzzle flash blindness until your eye recovers.
In low light conditions, the pupil in the human eye can be up to 8mm in diameter. To my way of thinking-- I've not measured my pupil in low-light, but I can go with 7-8mm-- I'm looking for a scope that has an exit pupil about that size, which means for 4x I need something with at least a 32mm objective lens, since (objective lens diameter)/(magnification) = (exit pupil diameter). It seems counter-productive on a scope one wants to use before dawn or after dusk to have one with an exit pupil smaller than the unaided eye. Some models of the ACOG apparently have up to a 16mm exit pupil, which is even better.

Last edited by socal m1 shooter; 07-10-2019 at 1:56 PM..
Old 07-10-2019, 9:19 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Whereabouts are ya? I've got a couple different ones you could look through if you're near here.
Old 07-10-2019, 9:21 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I've used both scopes to shoot pigs, bison, jackrabbits, steel, and a baboon in low light, along with practice and sighting in the 45-70. Been very happy with them.

Granted, they are 220 dollar scopes so you can't expect the world, but, they've survived a trip to Africa and several hundred rounds of 458 WinMag and 45-70 without ill effect!
Old 07-13-2019, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
Weaver still makes the V1-3x, which is very similar. About the same size. Also made in Japan and very lightweight: 8.5 oz. I have one mounted on a LE #4.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-reticle-matte

FYI, I also have a K2.5 to compare it with. I have it on detachable rings for my M1894 .44mag. It's a nice setup. But the 1-3x is a little more versatile of course. And readily available.
I would agree with this. Have one on my .357 Henry.
Just saw them on Natchez.com for $139.99. Good price.

Last edited by pennstater; 07-13-2019 at 8:16 AM..
Old 07-13-2019, 9:26 AM

Default Weave V for Lever

Penn,
What scope mount did you use to mate the Weaver to your Henry? Any fish left in that lake?
Old 07-13-2019, 12:10 PM

Duece, I used the Talley Integeral base/rings mount from the "Henry Pride" store. Works like a champ. We left a few! Henry's Lake was hitting some mighty good trout. I pulled in a 7lb'er. Real nice cutbow. Kinda neat fishing there and seeing elk grazing by the shore. Looking at going back in Oct for some upland birds.