Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-26-2019, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT447 View Post
What the heck. Might as well chime in here. Here is (one of) my Marlin story--

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...4&postcount=16
Wow! May as well be from the custom shop. That is restoration at it's finest.
Nicely done.

MLC
Old 11-26-2019, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT447 View Post
What the heck. Might as well chime in here. Here is (one of) my Marlin story--

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...4&postcount=16
Very nice, I wish we could send them in now and get them back like that one in other calibers.
Old 11-26-2019, 5:27 PM

Picked up my first Marlin, an 1894 SBL 44 Magnum. Just got back from the range and no issues with loading, firing and cycling. Fired all round smoothly and was accurate as hell!

Looking forward to my next outing with the rifle
Old 11-27-2019, 7:41 AM

Newbie,
Congrats on your new Marlin 44 mag. Thanks for the range report. Reloading is next!
Old 11-27-2019, 7:54 AM

Happy day before Thanksgiving everyone! I have a few questions about dry firing my lever gun.

1- Can I dry fire with snap caps? Is there a brand that you trust or I should avoid? I was going to get this kind (A-ZOOM):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1

2- Can I use a dry fire laser cartridge? This kind:

https://www.laserhit.com/products/lasercartridge

3- How terrible is it to dry fire without either of those, and even with them? I was told that I don't need these because as long as I have my safety engaged I can dry fire all day because the hammer will never touch the firing pin. Does that sound correct to you guys?

Thank you and happy Thanksgiving!
jerdog3
Old 11-27-2019, 8:21 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

1. Always invest in snap caps when acquiring an unfamiliar firearm (especially for someone who is a new shooter). They are invaluable for the practice of loading magazines (detachable, internal, tube, whatever) and for dry-firing and the practice of overall safe gun handling.

Be aware, however, that the polymer primer inserts don't last forever, and will recede under continual pressure from the firing pin, to the point where they may almost be useless (for dry firing).

2. If the manufacturer of the laser device *says* you can dry-fire/drop the hammer on it, then, yes.

3. The only firearm, typically, that you don't want to dry fire on an empty chamber is a rimfire firearm. That said, I have some degree of mechanical sympathy, and it has taken years! to accept the fact that it's okay to occasionally dry fire my centerfire firearms when chambers are empty.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 11-27-2019, 8:44 AM

Don't laugh. I make my own "snap caps". Leather punch a plastic primer. Glue it in the brass. No powder. Seat the bullet. Dychem the brass with bright color. Bingo.
Old 11-27-2019, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah,,, it doesn't hurt these Marlin Rifles one bit to dry fire them.

The rimfires are a case by case basis.

I have a Springfield M2 that if you dry fire it it puts a divot on the chamber mouth and it takes some work to remove it. We don't dry fire that one.

A Marlin 39A will do the same thing to a lesser degree.

As far as centerfires,,, if the gun has an exposed hammer the farthest the pin can go is however far the hammer will push it before it hits the receiver. This doesn't hurt anything.

On a bolt gun the pin ends up sticking out "X" distance (.060?) when it runs into the end of its travel This doesn't hurt anything.

You can dry fire a Glock a million times and it won't hurt anything except eventually wear the Striker Spring out. The Glock Striker works kind of like a slingshot. It is pulled back by the trigger and then side stepped at release. Goes forward and the step on the pin bottoms out in the slide.

Don't dry fire your Crossbow or Regular Bow without the load of the arrow or bolt,,, it will break the limbs.

Don't dry fire your Spring Piston Air Rifle. Without a pellet to allow the air to compress, the piston hits the end of the cylinder hard,,, which ruins the seal. You can dry fire a PCP Airgun as much as you want as the striker hits the spring loaded valve the same way every time whether it is charged or not.

Dry firing a high end shotgun without snap caps is not advised, because they cost alot of money.

Use your head here guys

Randy.
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-27-2019 at 9:23 AM..
Old 11-27-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Yeah,,, it doesn't hurt these Marlin Rifles one bit to dry fire them.

The rimfires are a case by case basis.

I have a Springfield M2 that if you dry fire it it puts a divot on the chamber mouth and it takes some work to remove it. We don't dry fire that one.

A Marlin 39A will do the same thing to a lesser degree.

As far as centerfires,,, if the gun has an exposed hammer the farthest the pin can go is however far the hammer will push it before it hits the receiver. This doesn't hurt anything.

On a bolt gun the pin ends up sticking out "X" distance (.060?) when it runs into the end of its travel This doesn't hurt anything.

You can dry fire a Glock a million times and it won't hurt anything except eventually wear the Striker Spring out. The Glock Striker works kind of like a slingshot. It is pulled back by the trigger and then side stepped at release. Goes forward and the step on the pin bottoms out in the slide.

Don't dry fire your Crossbow or Regular Bow without the load of the arrow or bolt,,, it will break the limbs.

Don't dry fire your Spring Piston Air Rifle. Without a pellet to allow the air to compress, the piston hits the end of the cylinder hard,,, which ruins the seal. You can dry fire a PCP Airgun as much as you want as the striker hits the spring loaded valve the same way every time whether it is charged or not.

Dry firing a high end shotgun without snap caps is not advised, because they cost alot of money.

Use your head here guys

Randy.
Great info Randy, and Apples! Thanks!
Old 11-28-2019, 1:53 PM

Logged onto CalGuns for something else, but stumbled on this thread.

I've purchased 3x Marlins in the last year. All three have had some custom work done to them, but all three shot just fine right out of the box. The first two are 1895s (both 45-70s). The third started out as a 1894 (357), but has since been modified ... slightly.

I attached a few pics (because I can't remember how to link to them) ...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2143.jpg (94.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2141.jpg (94.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2692.jpg (91.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 11-28-2019, 1:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heycorey View Post

I've purchased 3x Marlins in the last year. All three have had some custom work done to them, but all three shot just fine right out of the box. The first two are 1895s (both 45-70s). The third started out as a 1894 (357), but has since been modified ... slightly.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Wow, you sure did have some work done on those.
Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing

MLC, First 3
Old 11-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

That last one is definitely the epitome of the CAlifornia Assault Weapon!

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:25 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Hey Corey, neat guns!

Old 11-30-2019, 4:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
That last one is definitely the epitome of the CAlifornia Assault Weapon!

Randy
Sooner or later

Levergun manufacturers must really love California

MLC, First 3
Old 11-30-2019, 4:52 PM

All these wonderful pictures of wood and steel make me wanna get one for myself. I need to stay off the forums!
Old 11-30-2019, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I have an 1894 44 Mag circa 2017.

First time I shot it I was at the Angeles pistol range having a blast ringing steel up and down the range. Then all of a sudden I couldn’t hit anything, not even the 25 yard targets. Turns out the front sight worked itself loose in the dovetail and the only thing stopping it from falling out was the hood.

Other than that, my only complaint is the fit and finish of the wood. The forearm is fat and clunky and the grip fit to action is far from perfect.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

I visited my favorite LGS Friday evening on the way to pick up the wife at the Burbank AP. Actually not a bad trip! No traffic both ways.

I looked at all of the Marlin Leverguns he had on the wall (about 7-8 guns) .30-30's .45 LC .45-70's, and all of them were in the $700-800 range. Some with regular wood most with Laminate. The fit and finish on all these guns was excellent. Note: these were NOT the Truck Guns I mentioned earlier in the thread.(IE $400-500 range)

There were no sharp edges on the levers or hammers and they ran smoothly but all could benefit from some fine tuning and internal deburring to bypass the couple hundred rounds of Break In they all need. I would have been happy with any of them.

Better than anything JM Marlin ever made! The actual machining is so far above anything Marlin ever did it is beyond belief that the less informed still cling to to the notion that these new Remlins are in some way inferior to a genuine JM Marlin Gun. I've got both and they aren't!

Note: I am a Machinist with 40 years making chips, and I do know the difference. So will others with my level of experience.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-01-2019 at 12:55 PM..
Old 12-04-2019, 9:17 AM

Oh my.

https://gunsmagazine.com/rifles/cima...el-1894-38-55/
Old 12-04-2019, 11:16 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Before I read the above link, Randy, you should have seen my new ‘94 SBL made maybe 18 mos ago. It wasn’t pretty, but it also wasn’t anything I couldn’t and didn’t make right. I felt at the time one year ago that had I sent it back to Marlin, they would have made it worse.

Glad to hear of their improvement. Thanks for the report.

Old 12-05-2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heycorey View Post

Happy Thanksgiving!
Awesome guns!!! Very nice!
Old 12-17-2019, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceMcGurk View Post
All this 1895 is giving me a fever .... for an 1895.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/h...inchester1895/

Anyone have an 1895 in 30-06?
Yes sir. I have a Browning 1895 in .30-06. Absolutely love this rifle. I also have the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70. Kinda 95 ied up.

Love this rifle! Someday when I grow up and am rich and famous I will send this rifle to Turnbull. It deserves it. New fancy wood and their color case hardening on the receiver. Bought it last spring at a gun show in Bakersfield. Bet it didn't have five rounds through it. The action had hardly been cycled. It has been now. Find one and get one!

No pics of the Marlin. I bought it in the late 90s don't remember when exactly. I use to do a lot of horse packing in off the way places in the Sierra. Kept it loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo. While I never had to fire it for its intended purpose, I did have to face down angry bears twice and it was comforting to have in hand.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:50 AM

I like the Ruger and rig it's in.
Old 12-18-2019, 6:06 AM

Thanks guys! @ elk hunter its an old model Vaquero in .45 Colt. I built the holster.
Old 12-18-2019, 1:56 PM

Hoss,
That is a beautiful holster. Ever make one for a 1911?
Old 12-18-2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Hey Corey, neat guns!
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the compliments on the LeverGuns. For the benefit of our studio audience (and those of you playing at home), I thought I'd mention that two of them were customized by Lee Hadaway, a gunsmith out of Trinidad, Colorado. If you're thinking of getting a levergun with some custom features (or maybe just repaired and/or improved upon), I can recommend him very highly.

I discovered Lee because I wanted a takedown levergun (and really ... who doesn't) and there are only a few gunsmiths who specialize in that. Moreover, Trinidad State College has one of the few nationally recognized gunsmithing programs. And Mr Hadaway teaches a summer class on how to convert lever actions into takedowns, which I had the pleasure of attending last June. I actually converted the first levergun in those pictures (with the brown stock) into a takedown in that class.

Yay me! :-D

I'm mentioning all of this because you guys have an interest in leverguns for yourselves. And not only does Lee convert leverguns into takedowns, he can also convert them into different calibers. Most notably, he can convert a Marlin 1894 to either a 9MM or even a 10MM (which is what that unGODly black levergun of mine is) ..., which gives a whole new meaning to PCC. And of course, he can add custom components (like the Ranger Point levers and XS Sights scout rails in the first two pictures). He even makes his own custom wood stocks for your extra fancy-Dan leverguns.

I lived in California for the better part of 40 years (though I managed to escape about a year ago), so I can appreciate the political environment you're still living in. If you've been considering a levergun for self-defense, I just thought I'd mention the possibilities that are out there beyond the classic 45-70, etc.

I mean your basic 1894 in .44 magnum is a great gun. But that little black beauty of mine pairs very nicely with my GEN-3 (CA Handgun-Roster Approved) Glock G20. Just Sayin'

If you're interested, Lee has a web-site called The Arms Room (http://www.thearmsroom.com/). And if you want to see more of his guns, he's got a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...0232380405749/) that shows off his recent builds and custom work. If you scroll down a bit, there's a video of him shooting the 10MM levergun that he built for me. He even stuck a suppressor on the end of it. You will recognize him by his very good ol boy accent (he's good people too). I'm obviously a satisfied customer and wanted to pass his info along.

Here's wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Last edited by heycorey; 12-18-2019 at 4:27 PM..
Old 12-18-2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewright View Post
Thanks guys! @ elk hunter its an old model Vaquero in .45 Colt. I built the holster.
You do nice work.
Old 12-18-2019, 4:32 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Agreed. Beautiful leatherwork there. Thanks for the photos!

And thanks Corey for your thoroughly informative post.

Old 12-18-2019, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Agreed. Beautiful leatherwork there. Thanks for the photos!

And thanks Corey for your thoroughly informative post.
Agreed! A good one.

MLC
Old 12-18-2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceMcGurk View Post
Hoss,
That is a beautiful holster. Ever make one for a 1911?
Ya bet sir. Looks kinda like this un:

Sometimes like these guys:

And even for Marlins:

Henrys:

Even an Ubertti once and a while:

Thanks all!

Last edited by Horsewright; 12-18-2019 at 6:25 PM.. Reason: Additional.
Old 12-18-2019, 7:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Aaaaawwwww snap!

Nice leather there sir

MLC, First 3
Old 12-18-2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Aaaaawwwww snap!

Nice leather there sir
Thanks! Ya guys ever make it to the Mojave? Like to see pics!

Go down to the mouth of this canyon, turn left and long trot bout ten miles, ya be there.

Old 12-19-2019, 4:38 AM
Veteran Member

Mark, maybe some of our MLC pictures would do. What do ya think?

MLC
Old 12-19-2019, 5:25 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Dagnabbit, Horsewright, now yer jes' bein' mean.

Postin' pictures of you ridin' that canyon down to the Mojave.

*sigh*

You are living my dream. You, and splithoof.

Old 12-19-2019, 5:48 AM
Veteran Member

Horsewright, that up around Tehachapi area? Nice area regardless.

MLC
Old 12-19-2019, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
^^^^Looks much the same as our families section in Kern County.....
Yes sir in Kern.

MLC, yep Tehachapi. Just the other side of the ridge with the windmills...the Mojave!

We (the wife and I), recently were at a large gun store and tried the actions on a Henry, A Marlin and a Rossi. Bought the Henry. By far the smoothest. The other two were very gritty. I have three older Marlins and they are pretty dang smooth. I'll have to say the Marlin sure looked good fit and finish wise.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewright View Post
Yes sir in Kern.

MLC, yep Tehachapi. Just the other side of the ridge with the windmills...the Mojave!

We (the wife and I), recently were at a large gun store and tried the actions on a Henry, A Marlin and a Rossi. Bought the Henry. By far the smoothest. The other two were very gritty. I have three older Marlins and they are pretty dang smooth. I'll have to say the Marlin sure looked good fit and finish wise.
You ride something a little different than me, plus I have about 109 more horse power

IME, the Rossi's and Marlins's are hit and miss. I was lucky on my last two .38/357 lever guns. My Marlin 1894c from late 2018 was a keeper. I just picked up another Rossi R92 20" round barrel. This one is the best of the 3 Rossi's I have. The Winchester 20" round barrel model 92 that we've seen in every John Wayne movie and on the Rifleman (or clone) has been something that I have wanted since the 60s. It only took 8 lever gun purchases to get it.

I only have one Henry but I think that will change pretty soon.

MLC, First 3
Old 12-20-2019, 5:24 AM

Granted a few more HPs but those things aren't trustworthy like a good cowpony, they fall down. Sides how ya gonna pull a calf when a heifer is struggling?

Those bikes just ain't good at sitting back on the rope like that. Plus they get scared and run off. Then ya got a long walk home. Good pony anytime!

Sometime around 85 I bought a Rossi 92 in .44 mag. Really, really, liked that gun. It did develop some problems over time and I was not able to get er fixed. Couple three gunsmiths had a go at er but finally just gave up. Some of the internal parts had changed was what I was told and the current parts wouldn't work. Anyhoo. A bucket gun for me is a Browning 92 in .357. Quite fond of those Miroku's
Old 12-20-2019, 5:52 AM

I like the way you used the old leather in your work it's not only a good contrast to look at but I appreciate reusing things that are still solid and usable. I cant ride anymore so all my old tack is gone now and I'm stuck riding a Yamaha, easier on my knees and hips but if I had my druthers I'd still be working my way up and down gullies, canyons and creeks with Shorty my old horse.
Old 12-20-2019, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
I like the way you used the old leather in your work it's not only a good contrast to look at but I appreciate reusing things that are still solid and usable. I cant ride anymore so all my old tack is gone now and I'm stuck riding a Yamaha, easier on my knees and hips but if I had my druthers I'd still be working my way up and down gullies, canyons and creeks with Shorty my old horse.
Ya had me there for a bit on the old leather, wasn't following. Then I got it. Thats water buffalo leather, it just comes that way, in a tannage and color called Crazyhorse. Its pretty cool stuff, I've made probably a gillion belts from it. It just looks used, broke in and vintage right from the get go. Use it for most of my strap work, linings on breast collars for the ponies, occasionally on knife sheaths etc.

The term for that rustic appearance in leatherwork is "pull up".
Old 12-20-2019, 11:27 AM

Hoss,
Those pics are great.