Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-01-2019, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Inexpensive (per lb.) bulk shotshell powder?

I just pulled the trigger on Amazon's $60 gift card back (when opening a line of credit, which will be paid off before this month is over), and decided to treat myself to a Lee Load All II NIB, horked box for like $54ish.

Want to start shotshell reloading, and desire to have some powder for a start w/for component acquisition.
(Better if it can be used with 9mm, and/or .38 SPL too, but not a big deal...)

What say my Internet fiends?
Old 12-01-2019, 9:31 PM

I use Hodgdon Clays and Ramshot Competition for my 12ga, 9mm, 38spl, 40s&w, 44spl, 45 colt, 45 acp loads. Works awesome and it's cheap. Check out Hodgdon and Ramshot's web pages for the recipes.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2019, 9:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Right now I just found 2 Ramshot Competition 4LB jugs for less than an 8lb jug.
This seems to be the best price-point option for starting in bulk.

Last edited by the86d; 12-01-2019 at 10:25 PM..
Old 12-02-2019, 6:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
I use Hodgdon Clays and Ramshot Competition for my 12ga, 9mm, 38spl, 40s&w, 44spl, 45 colt, 45 acp loads. Works awesome and it's cheap. Check out Hodgdon and Ramshot's web pages for the recipes.

Pretty much the same for me, except I use 700x. Cheap, and always available.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 12-02-2019, 8:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Promo and 700x

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 12-02-2019, 9:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Depends on performance level (payload& speed) you seek in the shotgun and the pistolas.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 12-02-2019, 5:08 PM

I always had used Red Dot and 700x.

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 12-02-2019, 5:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm confused! is this for shotgun or pistol and rifle? If for shotgun then you need to figure out a hull your are gonna shoot and look up the recipes for powder and wads, THIS IS NOT just pick your powder and reload whatever.
Old 12-02-2019, 5:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Feel free to IM for any help that you need.
Old 12-02-2019, 7:10 PM
Veteran Member

Many many years ago I used to share reloading cost and we shot a lot of Bullseye powder, Bob died of a stroke and now I had a lot of Bullseye powder, was looking for other calibers or what ever else I could use it up in, then I get a issue of American Rifleman and they have a great article on using Bullseye powder in 12 ga. I sure broke a lot of clays using it up.
Moral of the story if shotgun reloading is high on your list do a little research to see what else that powder works in, I also used Clays as noted above.

Old 12-02-2019, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whutsup40 View Post
I'm confused! is this for shotgun or pistol and rifle? If for shotgun then you need to figure out a hull your are gonna shoot and look up the recipes for powder and wads, THIS IS NOT just pick your powder and reload whatever.
Many "shotgun" powders are very versatile, and can also be used for pistol loads with great results. some have been mentioned here - 700x, Clays, Ramshot, Red Dot, etc. and you can add Green Dot, Blue Dot, Herco, and 2400 to the list.

For example, 700x is a great powder for 12 and 20 gauge, and also works very well for .45acp, 44mag, 9mm, 9mm MAK, .38spl, 38-40, 44-40, 25-20, 32-20, and a few others that I forget off-hand. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the OP's desire to economize by efficiently using a versatile powder. Many of us do it, with great results.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 12-02-2019, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Red Dot and Herco work for shotgun, pistol, and lighter rifle loads. Red dot is just fine for 9 and 38/357 lighter to mid loads. It is a relatively fast pistol powder. Herco is a bit slower. Magnum pistol loads use even slower powder, which doesn't really line up with shotgun powders, but you didn't mention magnums anyway.

x2 on shotgun loads being more particular than pistol, so start there.

Last time I checked, I could not buy components to load shotgun shells for less than what run of the mil 12ga birdshot loads cost........maybe things have changed or you are loading something more unusual. It has been a few years since I bought shotgun or 22 ammo, and reload everything else.
Old 12-03-2019, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post

Last time I checked, I could not buy components to load shotgun shells for less than what run of the mil 12ga birdshot loads cost........maybe things have changed or you are loading something more unusual. It has been a few years since I bought shotgun or 22 ammo, and reload everything else.
This is certainly true for 12 gauge and usually 20 gauge as well. Value packs work out to about $0.50 more per box than reloading your own, so hardly worth the trouble unless you like having stock on hand and want to tailor loads for specific purposes.

However, you can save a lot of money if you reload for a less popular caliber, say 16, 28, or 410 gauge.

Old 12-03-2019, 2:40 PM

You have to buy right to save money on 12 ga shells. 5000 wads, and 5000 primers, at a minimum.
Go to a big shoot and buy from the vendors. Trapshooters.com has a shotshell cost calculator. Plug in your values and see how you stand.
Old 12-03-2019, 3:06 PM

I’m using American Select in .38 Special, my bro uses it in 12 gage reloading too. Super clean and bulky. Doesn’t meter well through my Hornady LNL, so I use a Redding 10X powder measure. A burn rate just a bit behind TiteGroup, but much cleaner...
Old 12-03-2019, 4:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Something like Unique or Universal are rather.....universal.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 12-03-2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
Last time I checked, I could not buy components to load shotgun shells for less than what run of the mil 12ga birdshot loads cost...
This is a common misconception. The Walmart blaster pack with the steel based hulls is $22 ($5.50 a box) and the STS or AA are $8 a box. Now the difference is that I reload an STS clone load with the STS hulls and a Remington style wad for the same price or less than the blaster pack. The better way to look at it is that I save myself about $25 a flat for about 15 mins of work to make STS ammo.

Basically you couldn't reload a shell of the same quality as that blaster stuff. One could pick AA or STS hulls out of the dumpster, buy the components to load it they'd be making a better shell that costs the same.

And the savings is enormous when loading subgauge. Save around $10 a box by loading 410.

Last edited by Dooder; 12-03-2019 at 7:12 PM..
Old 12-05-2019, 4:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Guess what day yesterday was, guess what day?

Arrival day! Horked box (just chowdered corners, flap-restapled), AND because of this, I got about $10 off when I purchased (saw "New From..." at the bottom of the desc. due to the box being not in perfect condition.

NOW I can say I reload everything we shoot that isn't 22lr, AND still never payed the background-check tax for ammo yet, AND that is including 200 rd 9mm I got when I picked up a rifle from jail. I should have gotten some more defensive 9mm HPs, but I am sure the lady will get some when she gets her lefty Ruger American .308 rifle on the same ticket.
Old 12-07-2019, 9:43 PM
Calguns Addict

It looks like I got Universal for ~$23.1288/lb, after shipping/Hazmat for an 8lb jug...

Anyone do better?

Edit: Apparently, not including shipping/Hazmat Ramshot Competition 8lb can be as low as 18.74/lb...
I REALLY got a hell of a deal with Midway when I cleaned house on 158gr 1200 HP bullets, as all I paid to ship was Hazmat on primers/powder, during the free shipping deal when said bullets were on clearance, too.

Last edited by the86d; 12-07-2019 at 9:51 PM..
Old 12-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
This is a common misconception. The Walmart blaster pack with the steel based hulls is $22 ($5.50 a box) and the STS or AA are $8 a box. Now the difference is that I reload an STS clone load with the STS hulls and a Remington style wad for the same price or less than the blaster pack. The better way to look at it is that I save myself about $25 a flat for about 15 mins of work to make STS ammo.

Basically you couldn't reload a shell of the same quality as that blaster stuff. One could pick AA or STS hulls out of the dumpster, buy the components to load it they'd be making a better shell that costs the same.

And the savings is enormous when loading subgauge. Save around $10 a box by loading 410.

Well, my statement still holds true, unless you are paying significantly less than $5.50 per box equivalent for your components. I was purposely very specific with my statement.

What machine do you use for loading shotgun shells at that speed?
I considered a dillon or other progressive that would have run hundreds of dollars. I did not like the lee loaders that I tried. This adds to the expense ($2500 or so to setup a 1050 and bullet feeder for pistol ammo was cost effective for my use).

I buy my supplies in bulk and priced from powder valley and others for components. Shot was $2 per pound last time I looked. You must have found better prices than I did.

AA ammo did not make a difference for my skill level and relatively low volume of shotgun shooting, but that is great that you get better ammo for the price of the cheap ammo.

Loading premium ammo or the less usual varieties can save enough money to justify the press and time to reload, as per my original statement. When bulk packs satisfy my needs, it doesn't make sense for me to spend the time to load and money to buy a nice press when my cost isn't any less than buying bulk.

It took a few times of reading this: "Basically you couldn't reload a shell of the same quality as that blaster stuff. One could pick AA or STS hulls out of the dumpster, buy the components to load it they'd be making a better shell that costs the same", for the wording to make sense.

My cost calculations for components were not significantly higher than bulk ammo, so getting good prices on components could match the cost if people want quality or don't care about doing the work and time. Different strokes for different folks...........

Last edited by CGT80; 12-07-2019 at 10:58 PM..
Old 12-07-2019, 11:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
It looks like I got Universal for ~$23.1288/lb, after shipping/Hazmat for an 8lb jug...

Anyone do better?
I have universal for $20/lb if you are in the LA area.
I have many sealed 4lb jugs as well as an open one I will pour single pounds from.

I also have a lot of other older powders for $10/lb if you want to root through the milk crates.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 12-07-2019 at 11:25 PM..
Old 12-08-2019, 12:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have new red Dot and Clay's for $25 a lb of you're in norcal
Old 12-08-2019, 6:32 AM

I use red dot for all my shotgun reloading. I also have the lee load all 2 and its about as easy as it gets to reload. I will be doing some reloading today for a little bit of relaxation.
Old 12-08-2019, 6:54 AM

I use Aliant e3 in my Remington / Peters Hulls. I get it for $160 for 8lbs at Phillips Wholesale before tax. I have tailored my own 12ga shot shell loads. I have also tried this in 38 spl, and 45 acp. It also burns very clean in 12ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-08-2019, 2:45 PM

Also use E3 for Cowboy low recoil shotgun loads. Works great!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:47 PM

Alliant Promo powder is going to be about the most least expensive powder out there and will fit for light pistol and shot shell loads. It has the same burning speed as Red Dot but it measures differently so dont use Red Dot loading data for it. One more thing. Promo is only sold in 8lb kegs...
S.A.S.S #74217
Have Guns Will Travel
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Southpaw45; 12-08-2019 at 10:51 PM..
Old 12-11-2019, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw45 View Post
Alliant Promo powder is going to be about the most least expensive powder out there and will fit for light pistol and shot shell loads. It has the same burning speed as Red Dot but it measures differently so dont use Red Dot loading data for it. One more thing. Promo is only sold in 8lb kegs...
That is what I was looking for!!!

Thank you!