Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > United Sportsmen, Concord
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2022, 7:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default USI seems to be turning a corner

The last few times at the public range things seem to be going a bit faster. They also now implemented a new process where you just tell the RSO when you leave. No need to grab your license now, avoids congestion in the office.

Hopefully the AP side have more freedom as well.

Now to close that wall between the rifle and pistol side, will speed things up.

Hopefully positive changes keep coming.
Old 06-29-2022, 6:39 AM

The AP range just had a trial USPSA match to demonstrate that it can be ran safely. Still haven’t heard anything about whether they got the necessary votes/approval to sanction matches but I’ll be there later today and can hopefully get an update from one of the guys to report back.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3nryl3 View Post
The AP range just had a trial USPSA match to demonstrate that it can be ran safely. Still haven’t heard anything about whether they got the necessary votes/approval to sanction matches but I’ll be there later today and can hopefully get an update from one of the guys to report back.
Great! Looking forward to hear if it will happen.
Old 07-01-2022, 4:49 PM

The new USI president is much more customer service oriented. I am confident that lots of good changes are coming to USI.
Old 07-01-2022, 7:42 PM

Update from the AP range: The mini USPSA match went well, although no other USI board member showed up to spectate besides the new president, even though the other 5 board members were invited. They’re going to run another mini match at the end of this month to continue to get used to running USPSA safely before it goes to a vote. One of the challenges is that most of the ROs at the AP range have not RO’d for a USPSA match or have not done so in a long time. So there is a learning curve before they are confident in their ROs and procedures before it goes to a vote and hopefully opens up to the public.
Old 07-03-2022, 8:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Fingers crossed that it works out. Was at AP practice session on Sat and the mini course looked interesting.
Old 08-02-2022, 8:10 PM

Is AP practice at all like Richmond? A RO is watching the line and several shooting can come up, unholster and shoot. RO calls for ceasefire like every 15 minutes or so.

Having a really strict and formal AP practice kind of kills the fun.
Old 08-03-2022, 6:01 PM

Only one shooter at a time comes up to the line to shoot, an RO is watching and running a timer.
Old 08-03-2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Only one shooter at a time comes up to the line to shoot, an RO is watching and running a timer.
Weak! Aside from drawing, not much difference than Public range.
Old 08-03-2022, 6:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad that they’re unclogging some of the processes! Always wondered why they were SO strict on the C-19 crap. Yes, I get it, they don’t want to get shut down, but I think they were a bit overzealous and a bit heavy handed in their approach.

Looking forward to the new and improved USI. Really would hate to see us lose another range in the Bay Area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-03-2022, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
I’d say it is significantly better than the public range. Ability draw, rapid fire, shoot steel and fire at multiple targets instead of just the single paper target is definitely more fun than the public range. I haven’t been to the AP range at Richmond yet, but I get why DAP is pretty strict about safety, they don’t want to be shut down once again due to an AD going over that hill. That’s why approval for running USPSA matches is taking so long. I did get a chance to run one of the USPSA stages they had built for the recent matches at one of the practices and it was loads of fun to shoot. Looking forward to them expanding more of the USPSA stuff.

Last edited by H3nryl3; 08-03-2022 at 9:28 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 08-15-2022, 5:10 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

This is why I always prefer private land.
Old 08-16-2022, 8:44 AM

Quote:
I’d say it is significantly better than the public range. Ability draw, rapid fire, shoot steel and fire at multiple targets instead of just the single paper target is definitely more fun than the public range. I haven’t been to the AP range at Richmond yet, but I get why DAP is pretty strict about safety, they don’t want to be shut down once again due to an AD going over that hill. That’s why approval for running USPSA matches is taking so long. I did get a chance to run one of the USPSA stages they had built for the recent matches at one of the practices and it was loads of fun to shoot. Looking forward to them expanding more of the USPSA stuff.

Agreed

I also bought that VIP card, I convinced Leta to change the name from “discount card” to VIP. I hope it’s gonna come with more perks that will make it more valuable to us

CMAT GMAU
Old 08-19-2022, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I get why DAP is pretty strict about safety, they don’t want to be shut down once again due to an AD going over that hill. That’s why approval for running USPSA matches is taking so long. I did get a chance to run one of the USPSA stages they had built for the recent matches at one of the practices and it was loads of fun to shoot. Looking forward to them expanding more of the USPSA stuff.
My understanding from speaking with existing RO is that they are so strict that even if you’re an NROI certified RO you need a more special RO (so called RO2) to oversee your practice.

Last edited by naz; 08-26-2022 at 6:37 AM..
Old 08-25-2022, 8:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The R & P range use NRA trained RSOs, the AP range uses NROI trained ROs which is part of USPSA. The NROI trains differently as these are completely different activities which include drawing from a holster. They have to understand the rules of the "game" which can be many. The NROI guys do a great job in such a dynamic setting.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 09-03-2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
The R & P range use NRA trained RSOs, the AP range uses NROI trained ROs which is part of USPSA. The NROI trains differently as these are completely different activities which include drawing from a holster. They have to understand the rules of the "game" which can be many. The NROI guys do a great job in such a dynamic setting.

Nice compliment for the NROI ROs The rulebook is a good 122 pages. There tends to be a small celebration every time an RO passes recertification (exam every 2 or so years)… living in both worlds, it would be nice to see the NRA (C)RSO program recert past submitting a payment before a deadline & make sure the RSOs are staying up to date on best practices.

Old 09-03-2022, 5:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I do agree about the NRA credential renewal program. Once I certify them control is lost. Pay your renewal fees and you are GTG. One thing though, each range also has a duty to make sure their RSO staff is performing well. Where I RSO we are constantly updating our SOP, this is the document that rules the range operation. Each particular range tailors their rules to fit their situation and layout. When we make changes to the SOP it is sent out to all RSO and the senior RSO group is expected to implement it into the range operations.

Still, a more robust renewal wouldn't hurt.

Old 09-03-2022, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

The RO’s at RRGC are great. The meat heads get weeded out quick. It’s much better than the public range . There is a practice bay, a stage bay which is different every week and a 3 gun stage for practice once a month . Matches are every 2 weeks.
Old 09-03-2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulJoker View Post
The RO’s at RRGC are great. The meat heads get weeded out quick. It’s much better than the public range . There is a practice bay, a stage bay which is different every week and a 3 gun stage for practice once a month . Matches are every 2 weeks.

[mention]BrassCase [/mention] was referring to the ROs at Diablo Action Pistol (DAP)... they’re also NROI certified. DAP has Saturday practice every weekend. Diablo/USI’s Action Range orientation actually introduces more than just USPSA: there were three steel challenge stages, a USPSA stage, and an ICORE stage today.
Old 09-13-2022, 5:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

That sounds fun. I’ll have to check it out . I always wanted to try steel challenge , but Friday’s at 4 never worked for me.
Maybe I’ll see you there Vince.
Old 09-13-2022, 6:05 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Quote:
I think he means that only one person at a time can run through the practice stage. Which is the same as it is at Richmond on their practice stage bay.

The question is whether USI also has a practice static line like Richmond's where you can draw from a holster, rapid fire, but have to remain stationary on the line.

(I'm a Richmond Action Range RO)
Old 09-13-2022, 6:12 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
That sounds fun. I’ll have to check it out . I always wanted to try steel challenge , but Friday’s at 4 never worked for me.
LOL. That is actually not Vince.

Quote:
but I get why DAP is pretty strict about safety, they don’t want to be shut down once again due to an AD going over that hill.
I shot one match at USI. Ironically, it was their last USPSA match before they got shut down all those years ago.

I seriously doubt it was an action shooter that sent rounds over the hill. You would have needed to negligently discharge your round almost straight up to make it over the crest. That sort of thing is hard to hide when it happens at a match.

Last edited by Gryff; 09-13-2022 at 6:29 PM..
Old 09-13-2022, 8:30 PM

Quote:

I’ll let Vince know

Come out and practice at the Action Pistol range on Saturdays. There’s Steel Challenge, a USPSA, and an ICORE stage (can do all the “action static line” drawing from a holster there that you’d like on the ICORE stage since its set up very similarly). Just let the ROs know what you’d like to practice.
Old 09-13-2022, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
LOL. That is actually not Vince.

I shot one match at USI. Ironically, it was their last USPSA match before they got shut down all those years ago.

I seriously doubt it was an action shooter that sent rounds over the hill. You would have needed to negligently discharge your round almost straight up to make it over the crest. That sort of thing is hard to hide when it happens at a match.
I also highly doubt that it was an action shooter that did it, but the assumption/conclusion is that it did and that is what is causing the red tape and extra precautions at the action range.
Old 09-13-2022, 8:48 PM

Quote:
I also highly doubt that it was an action shooter that did it, but the assumption/conclusion is that it did and that is what is causing the red tape and extra precautions at the action range.

Right now, USPSA/non-Steel Challenge matches are on a month-to-month testing period. So far, experiences for anyone in attendance has been positive. The leadership at DAP & Diablo are a good, cohesive set of folks that are balancing the red tape + new activities.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:15 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

They have definitely turned the corner on how much they feel who is OK to raise prices. Absolutely unbelievable.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

It's either raise prices, or cease operation. The cost of everything has gone up. I'd rather pay a bit more than have one of the remaining ranges in the area close down.

I know that you, BigPimping, have a place to shoot other than on a regulated range. Most people including me, don't have that sort of access and we're going to pay to support a biz that we've participated at since the mid 80's to keep them going.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
It's either raise prices, or cease operation. The cost of everything has gone up. I'd rather pay a bit more than have one of the remaining ranges in the area close down.

I know that you, BigPimping, have a place to shoot other than on a regulated range. Most people including me, don't have that sort of access and we're going to pay to support a biz that we've participated at since the mid 80's to keep them going.

I usually agree with BP, ok not really. His love of plastic is without equal. Lol.

I agree that if we want a place to shoot, we need to support the places that will allow it no matter how much better it could be if X, Y and Z were to happen. Paying a higher range fee comes with the times/economy. I’m glad we still have a local place to shoot. I remember having to drive a long ways to shoot. Now we complain? Livermore is stinking far, GFOS allows rapid fire as long as you’re safe and is similarly far from me (Martinez) and Richmond is well… Richmond. Tough sell to get wifey to come with me out there especially since we have a range in our backyard.

USI is as good as it gets for public ranges.

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-19-2022, 3:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Not sure when this posted to the website or if it has already been posted in this thread, but a message from the President of USI.
https://unitedsportsmen.com/message-...s-i-president/

To: Individual members of member clubs of USI:

I have been in my new position for 2 months and wanted to take this opportunity to share some of the things under way at USI. First, I am happy to report that our cash position has improved slightly giving us more runway as changes are made to improve our financial position.
The volunteer RSO program is growing, and we need more who are interested in becoming certified RSOs and helping on the ranges in return for privileges here at the facility. Please send an email to volunteer@unitedsportsmen.com and you will receive a full description of the program and benefits.
We are moving along with programs to separate the rifle and pistol ranges allowing independent operations and more efficiency. We have also made several changes to reduce or eliminate the check-in lines at the RP range. We are now opening at 9:00 am on Saturdays and Sundays to provide a longer shooting day.
We have added an auto-puller for skeet shooters that want to practice alone on the skeet fields and have ordered a new voice puller for trap field 7 that should be installed in a couple of weeks. Many thanks to the extraordinary volunteers who have worked hard to clean up and refresh 5-stand and the shotgun fields.
Through the generosity of the Walnut Creek and Concord clubs, we will be making repairs to the clubhouse and rest rooms within the next few weeks.
The officers and board are all committed to continue to help USI survive and to make small improvements while moving to improve our financial condition.
Larry Hood
President, United Sportsmen, Inc.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-20-2022, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

USI was not shut down, but was SUCKERED into closing it themselves. That was what I learned at the Brentwood Club back in 2014, october. But I am in Tennessee now, never ever again.

Psalm 1
Old 09-21-2022, 4:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sounds like you have never tried it. Steel Challenge builds skills for USPSA. SC has 8 different stages to shoot with 3 different size plates. Distance can vary from 7 yds to 35 yds. Each stage has 5 plates and all but 1 stage have a mix of plates sizes. If you've been a paper target shooter, this will light you up. I rarely shoot paper anymore, usually just to sight in or check something functional.

SC has been described as "drag racing with a gun".

Old 09-21-2022, 5:06 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
From a process standpoint, perhaps. But, I challenge you to try to hold your own against a better Steel Challenge shooter.

Comparing a public range to steel challenge is like comparing a golf cart to a drag racer. Sure, they both have engines and go in a straight line...
Old 09-21-2022, 5:09 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Great to hear the experience is getting better. Thank you to all the volunteer RSOs for your contributions.
Old 09-22-2022, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentiny View Post
I’ll let Vince know

Come out and practice at the Action Pistol range on Saturdays. There’s Steel Challenge, a USPSA, and an ICORE stage (can do all the “action static line” drawing from a holster there that you’d like on the ICORE stage since its set up very similarly). Just let the ROs know what you’d like to practice.
Ok T!

I’ll give it a shot when I have a free Saturday? You can shoot Steel Challenge with 22lr from low ready right? From the holster with a normal pistol like USPSA…
Old 09-22-2022, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ok T!

I’ll give it a shot when I have a free Saturday? You can shoot Steel Challenge with 22lr from low ready right? From the holster with a normal pistol like USPSA…
ALL 22's start from low ready, rifle or pistol as do all PCC's. All centerfire pistol is from a holster draw.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Ok T!

From my understanding of the rules; you must have completed the DAP orientation course OR have a USPSA/SCSA classification other than “Unclassified” to be able shoot at the AP range. Guests that have neither of the above requirements can be sponsored by a qualified DAP shooter to shoot at the DAP practices, but the sponsor must be present and responsible for the guest. The guest can only shoot from low and ready, regardless of what type of firearm. Sponsors are responsible for their guests to ensure the safety of the other shooters on the range. If the guest were to perform an unsafe act and get disqualified for the day then their sponsor would be disqualified as well. Source: Reached out to range master about their guest policy and this was the info that was shared with me.
Old 09-28-2022, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Thank you.
Old 09-29-2022, 5:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They are having a class again this Saturday.

Old 10-09-2022, 4:32 PM

Default Rifle pistol dividing fence planned

The berms at both rifle and pistol have been refreshed which was a precursor to dividing the ranges. Hopefully it will be started in a week or so and finished in 3 or 4. Should make a big difference when the two ranges are able to run independently.
Old 10-09-2022, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry94556 View Post
The berms at both rifle and pistol have been refreshed which was a precursor to dividing the ranges. Hopefully it will be started in a week or so and finished in 3 or 4. Should make a big difference when the two ranges are able to run independently.

That’ll be great once they do! Glad to see these positive changes taking place!

M&P 15 (Mine)