Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 06-08-2021, 8:52 AM

Default Cheap 1911 frame quality

Finishing up my first 1911 build, or rather rebuild of my old worn out Springfield A1 GI, and having a ton of fun with it. I'd like to build some more 1911s, but obviously a Caspian frame is out of the question, so I'm thinking the thing to do is buy a couple "cheap" 1911s either new or used and harvest the serialized frame from them.

Question is, what frames should I be looking for, what frames should I steer clear of?

I can get a Citadel for $550 NIB, figure that's about $300 for the frame once I eBay the parts off it, so not horrible, but I don't know if that leaves me with a decent foundation to build from. Should I look for a Rock Island instead? More Springfields? Something else?
Old 06-08-2021, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

At the minimum, I'd go with a Rock Island. I have a friend who tried to do some work on a Citadel and he had some issues with fitting parts. Granted, it could have just been him, but when I took a look at the issues he had, I suspected that his gun was more likely not perfectly in spec for a 1911.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 06-08-2021, 9:59 PM

Gi rocks are as cheap as $459.

I wanted the same thing, so I bought a cheap GI ria to modify. I didn't want to hack up a more expensive gun. I cut the frame for a beaver tail, fit a new slide with Novak cuts, redid the barrel fit, match bushing, trigger job with stoning etc.

It's really not a "cheap" gun. It's far far surpassed what I expected. The only thing I don't like is the park finish, but you're not getting a blued gun cheap.

I'm a fan of the brand and I'd buy another one in a second.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:53 PM

Sounds like some RIAs should be on my shopping list

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomReloaded View Post
The only thing I don't like is the park finish, but you're not getting a blued gun cheap.
Yeah the parkerized finish is less than ideal, but I don't see myself getting a GI frame and not checkering the front strap at the very least, so refinishing is going to happen one way or another.
Old 06-09-2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomReloaded View Post
Gi rocks are as cheap as $459.

I wanted the same thing, so I bought a cheap GI ria to modify. I didn't want to hack up a more expensive gun. I cut the frame for a beaver tail, fit a new slide with Novak cuts, redid the barrel fit, match bushing, trigger job with stoning etc.

It's really not a "cheap" gun. It's far far surpassed what I expected. The only thing I don't like is the park finish, but you're not getting a blued gun cheap.

I'm a fan of the brand and I'd buy another one in a second.
Good to see RIA's getting some love. My first handgun was a basic 1911a1 Rock Island and I was shocked it has held up well. Recently bought a springfield armory im going to do modifications to but good to see there's info here about doing these kinda modifications
Old 06-09-2021, 3:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have slides and barrels.