Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-19-2019, 3:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default SKS Rifle Chinese Type 56

Chinese SKS Rifles have just arrived and should be good to go for sale to California .Is anybody aware of any issues for shipping them to CA ?

Old 08-19-2019, 4:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Atlantic, I watched the video you put out yesterday on YouTube. You said that bayonets are not legal in CA, but this is not true.

I can't cite any actual legal documentation to prove that bayonets are allowed here, but it's something worth knowing if anyone in CA tries ordering from you.

Otherwise the rifle is fine, legally.
Old 08-19-2019, 4:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A bayonet lug is not a "feature" so it should be GTG. I'm calling my FFL tomorrow about a transfer!!
Old 08-19-2019, 4:10 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

These are good to go in CA. Bayonet is not a problem.

Old 08-19-2019, 4:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good to go. Fixed mag, no flash hider or other evil features.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-20-2019, 6:39 AM

I bought a Yugo with a blade bayonet, PPT'ed through the usually overcautious Turner's in Corona a little over a year ago. The bayonet wasn't an issue and the counterman who processed the DROS even commented on the pig sticker.
Old 08-20-2019, 6:58 AM

I call your attention to appendix "A" Roberti-Roos ban...Norinco SKS type 56, 56S, etc...also "made in China type 56, 56S etc...
Old 08-20-2019, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmapache View Post
I call your attention to appendix "A" Roberti-Roos ban...Norinco SKS type 56, 56S, etc...also "made in China type 56, 56S etc...
That would be the AK type 56 series that the list is referring to. The sks type 56 is not listed.

(1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows:
(A) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, AK56, AK56S, AK84S, and AK86S.
(B) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.
(C) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47.
(D) MAADI AK47 and ARM.
A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.
Old 08-20-2019, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Those are AKs.... An SKS is a type 56 ( made from 1956 on) but the China type 56, 56s in Roberti Roos was a fixed stock cheap Norinco AK and the Made in China included all the others such as Polytech. The 56-1, 56s-1 is an underfolding Norinco or Polytech AK as in my Norinco 56s-1 in attachment. The "s" after the 56 designated them for civilian exports.

You can see in the Roberti Roos list that these were all under the AK series paragraph in the second attachment..

The only illegal Chinese SKS in California are the ones modified to receive AK mags.

The "illegal" bayonet on a Chinese or a Norinco Chinese in California is PURE FUD.

Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 05-27-2023 at 10:53 AM..
Old 08-20-2019, 8:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Have shot many Chinese SKS rifles over the years---good reliable little guns, but well-used and ugly! If you can find a Yugo version, you'll pay more, but much nicer made rifle---of course, if you just throw it in back of a pick-up truck, it doesn't matter...
Old 08-20-2019, 8:18 PM

Ja, the terminology is wobbly...reading the list, one could reasonably be confused...Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, 86S...Well, in any case, I do not have to worry about it...moved, and just sold the SKS...building my first AR in 6.5 Grendel... I really feel sorry for you folks...
Old 08-24-2019, 5:36 AM
Vendor/Retailer

We will be glad to ship the SKS to CA as long as the transfer dealer does not have a problem with the bayonet. Thus far we've shipped quite a few of these to California and a few of the dealers have asked us to remove the bayonet prior to shipping but the ship it with the weapon
Old 08-24-2019, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Only paratrooper sks-d that takes ak mags is illegal
Old 08-24-2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
Have shot many Chinese SKS rifles over the years---good reliable little guns, but well-used and ugly! If you can find a Yugo version, you'll pay more, but much nicer made rifle---of course, if you just throw it in back of a pick-up truck, it doesn't matter...
I have a couple of chinese (blade and spike now) and a yugo. Yugo feels like a tank, the blonde wood is pretty, and it has the unique factor with the gren launcher sight, but the type 56s are noticeably lighter and point easier, plus are chrome lined. Really a trade off depending on what you're looking for. I wouldn't part with either at this point, they're both great.
Old 08-25-2019, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

its hard to sew up the skin after those crucifix bayos plunge

2x SKS Trench Art $480 & $500
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post28101198
Old 08-25-2019, 3:49 PM

Are these full of cosmoline like the ones from classic or has the cosmoline been taken off
Old 08-25-2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93chipper View Post
Are these full of cosmoline like the ones from classic or has the cosmoline been taken off
Yes, but some LGS will clean it for you at a price. Otherwise you can purchase off LGS inventory. Either way you will pay more.
Old 08-25-2019, 7:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93chipper View Post
From their description:

Quote:
These rifles have been in storage for several years and will be coated in Cosmoline for protection.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:37 PM
CGN Contributor

Bayos are OK for C&R guns. IIRC, the no bayonet issue was for new "para" SKS guns that used to be imported in the 1990s before Clinton closed that window.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bayonet mounts were "evil assault weapon features" during the Clinton Federal Assault Weapons ban from 1994-2004.

Often confused with current California "evil assault weapon features," though bayonet mounts have no current legal conflict nationally or in California.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viol...nforcement_Act
Old 08-26-2019, 4:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The Roberti-Roos Appendix "A" didn't list "SKS" type. It listed "AK" types.

The confusion related to the Chinese "type 56" firearms is due to the fact that the Chinese called the "SKS" a carbine. "Type 56 Carbine"

(Samozaryadny Karabin Simonova) "SKS"

They called their AK series 56's the "Type 56 Rifle".

Funny because the "Carbine" is longer and heavier than the "Rifle".

So both are "type 56's", But the SKS is the Type 56 carbine and the AK is the Type 56 rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 08-26-2019, 4:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Bayos are OK for C&R guns. IIRC, the no bayonet issue was for new "para" SKS guns that used to be imported in the 1990s before Clinton closed that window.
The Bayonet issue was based on the Clinton import ban. It had nothing to do with any type of rifle.

It was also not illegal (and still isn't) to put a bayonet on a Clinton era import rifle, even when it was imported didn't have one.

Quote:
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 08-26-2019, 4:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
Actually the Yugo made SKS type (model 59 and 59-66) guns don't have chrome lined bores. The Chinese SKS type 56 carbines do have chrome lined bores.

The Yugo types also sometimes suffer from issues related to their gas ports as those carbines have a gas shut off so they can launch grenades.

Yugo surplus ammo IS corrosive, and the use of that ammo prior to import in the non chrome lined bore and gas shut off causes the gas system problems.

There are many as new or new Chinese SKS types to be had, as they were imported in much larger numbers than their Yugo counterparts. So not every one is "well used".

Personally, I would rather have a Chinese SKS type as a shooter than the Yugo. Because of the chromed lined bore, and the fact that the Chinese SKS's are much lighter in weight than the Yugo.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Actually the Yugo made SKS type (model 59 and 59-66) guns don't have chrome lined bores. The Chinese SKS type 56 carbines do have chrome lined bores.

The Yugo types also sometimes suffer from issues related to their gas ports as those carbines have a gas shut off so they can launch grenades.

Yugo surplus ammo IS corrosive, and the use of that ammo prior to import in the non chrome lined bore and gas shut off causes the gas system problems.

There are many as new or new Chinese SKS types to be had, as they were imported in much larger numbers than their Yugo counterparts. So not every one is "well used".

Personally, I would rather have a Chinese SKS type as a shooter than the Yugo. Because of the chromed lined bore, and the fact that the Chinese SKS's are much lighter in weight than the Yugo.
Completely agree with you. Russian, Chinese, and Romanian SKS’ are better made rifles than the Yugo SKS’. The Yugos are just newer and in better shape.

That’s not to say that the Yugo’s aren’t good guns though. I just prefer a chrome lined barrel.
Old 08-27-2019, 2:18 PM

you were just proven wrong over and over but still can't admit it

Quote:
Ja, the terminology is wobbly...reading the list, one could reasonably be confused...Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, 86S...Well, in any case, I do not have to worry about it...moved, and just sold the SKS...building my first AR in 6.5 Grendel... I really feel sorry for you folks...