Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Looking at putting a Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 on my Brothers Compass. Would Warne Medium rings work or should I order High rings?
Old 06-08-2018, 6:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Looking at putting a Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 on my Brothers Compass. Would Warne Medium rings work or should I order High rings?

Medium might work but will be a close fit. I have about 8mm gap on my 44mm objective with medium warne maxima rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
Old 06-08-2018, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Medium might work but will be a close fit. I have about 8mm gap on my 44mm objective with medium warne maxima rings.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a set of Warne High 30mm rings for it. They'll be here Monday along with the Argos. Once I get it mounted up, I'll measure the clearance gap and report back.

I swapped a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 with Ballistic Plex Reticle onto my Compass from my AR to try for now. We're going camping at Lake Pillsbury next week for 5-6 days so will test them both out good on the long gravel airstrip up there.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

Last edited by WartHog; 06-08-2018 at 6:55 PM..
Old 06-08-2018, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

So, the company I ordered the Athlon Argos BTR from yesterday afternoon for my Brother was supposed to ship it UPS 2nd Day for $27.95. They shipped it instead by Overnight which cost them like $100 from Louisiana and I'm mounting it up now.

There's a solid 3/8" gap between the Objective and the Barrel with the Warne High rings, 1/2" if you remove the flip-up cover. Shouldering the rifle, my cheek/lower jawbone is resting high on the stock but not on top and the scope sight picture comes into alignment/view.

Is the gap satisfactory or should I reorder lower rings? Warne lists ring height for their Fixed rings as follows - High .525" - Med .375" - Low .250". Using the Med rings drop the height .15" whereas with Low rings the drop is .275". If my math-deficient brain has it right, I have a .375 gap now so a set of Low rings sounds like they would work, barely.

Last edited by WartHog; 06-08-2018 at 7:55 PM..
Old 06-08-2018, 8:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So, the company I ordered the Athlon Argos BTR from yesterday afternoon for my Brother was supposed to ship it UPS 2nd Day for $27.95. They shipped it instead by Overnight which cost them like $100 from Louisiana and I'm mounting it up now.

There's a solid 3/8" gap between the Objective and the Barrel with the Warne High rings, 1/2" if you remove the flip-up cover. Shouldering the rifle, my cheek/lower jawbone is resting high on the stock but not on top and the scope sight picture comes into alignment/view.

Is the gap satisfactory or should I reorder lower rings? Warne lists ring height for their Fixed rings as follows - High .525" - Med .375" - Low .250". Using the Med rings drop the height .15" whereas with Low rings the drop is .275". If my math-deficient brain has it right, I have a .375 gap now so a set of Low rings sounds like they would work, barely.

Ideal ring height depends on your face geometry as well as shoulder to cheekbone, if it feels high like you’re not getting a tight cheek weld or have to push the rifle low in your shoulder pocket rather than it sitting high on shoulder then try another pair. If you go too low you could get some shadow of the barrel or muzzle device at low magnification, you also don’t want to have to really try and crunch into too small a cheek weld and have your eye / shooting glasses causing limited field of view because you’re not aligned.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old 06-21-2018, 8:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What did you end upi with? Pics? Hows the gap and fit?

I think my TC is perfect, but I have a REM700 where I felt the gap could be less, but adding a flip cap probably as low as possible... seemed risky to swap mounts and try for lower and it is comfortable. I think an huge gap that needs fixing is obvious though. The struggle is real though, I hear ya.

Here's my old Vortex Diamondback with Leupold mount low as you can go

New Viper HS LR with Talley's

Old 07-06-2018, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone else find loading that last round in your Compass magazines to be a PITA? My brother and I both have 308's and find it so difficult that we just load 4 rounds. Would it help to leave the mags loaded with 5 rounds to get the springs to break-in/relax?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Anyone else find loading that last round in your Compass magazines to be a PITA? My brother and I both have 308's and find it so difficult that we just load 4 rounds. Would it help to leave the mags loaded with 5 rounds to get the springs to break-in/relax?
I wasn't lucky enough to have gotten one of these.

But, I do load all my new magazines and let them sit that way for a few days to help make loading in the future easier.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 11-04-2018, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Had the 308 Compass out to the range the other day and had a blast bangin' steel out to 600yds. The Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40 scope with Ballistic Plex Reticle I'm currently running makes getting hits on torso-sized plates seem easy although some more magnification at 600 would be nice. Need to find the Win Model 70 trigger spring I bought and get it in to lower the trigger pull a bit. Overall, I am loving my Compass!

FYI - Thompson-Center is giving you a $50 pre-paid Visa card with purchase of a Compass rifle through December 31st 2018. Using the gun.deals search engine, Compass prices are running as low as $274.99 shipped free from both Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore and SMGA.com.

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt...es/t-c-compass

https://www.tcarms.com/rebates
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 11-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
What did you end up with? Pics? Hows the gap and fit?

I think my TC is perfect, but I have a REM700 where I felt the gap could be less, but adding a flip cap probably as low as possible... seemed risky to swap mounts and try for lower and it is comfortable. I think an huge gap that needs fixing is obvious though. The struggle is real though, I hear ya.
Sorry for the late reply.

My Brother isn't totally happy with the Athlon Argos BTR on his 308. The main issues are at max magnification - the Side Focus just doesn't seem crystal clear, eye relief is poor and it is pretty unforgiving as to eye placement. He's probably going to sell it and buy something else.
Quote:
Old 11-04-2018, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
saw this on the TC page...

"The rifle performance was “Outstanding”. My 100 yard groups were 1in wide x 2in high. But loading the magazine, I had a lot of trouble reloading it with 308 rounds. It would only except 3. A 4th round was a struggle. So back home I used silicon spray to soak the insides of the magazine, 4 times allowing it to drain and dry between applications. Now it excepts 5 rounds with no hassles."
Old 11-04-2018, 3:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
...and personally I had no issues loading 5 rounds when brand new. It probably is impossible if you simply push rounds straight down into the mag and expect it to rotate freely on the fourth and fifth. There is plenty of space inside there, but remember it is a rotating mag, not a simple box mag with a follower on a spring that compresses straight down. Assist the mag in rotating to the next position to make space for the fourth and fifth round - if the mag is facing you with the bullets in your direction shove the last round over to the right and down. It isn't that stiff.

Last edited by crufflers; 11-04-2018 at 5:04 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 1:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I mounted the EGW 20MOA base to my 308win short action TC. It fits great and looks good, expecting good things.

Unfortunately, waiting on my scope to get replaced from SWFA due to a focus knob issue that resulted in no focus change and knob spinning freely beyond limit (Falcon M18+), but they are planning to send new one when stock available so hoping for the best there.
Old 11-18-2018, 6:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Really sucks that I missed this last year.

I was hoping for the same deal this year. No such luck. Only $249.99 this year.

Quote:

Old 11-18-2018, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Really sucks that I missed this last year.

I was hoping for the same deal this year. No such luck. Only $249.99 this year.
What was the lowest price before rebate previously? We paid $274.99 less the previous $75 rebate - total with FFL fees + sales tax was $272 OTD.

With the current $50 rebate deal going on thru Dec 31st, you'd only be paying $25 more. What caliber would you be looking for? Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has carries the Compass in pretty much all the calibers for $274.99 with free shipping.

https://www.tcarms.com/rebates/
Quote:
Old 11-18-2018, 7:09 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

How much does the .308-chambered TC Compass weigh? What's the barrel length? Thanks in advance.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 11-18-2018, 7:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
How much does the .308-chambered TC Compass weigh? What's the barrel length? Thanks in advance.
7.25lbs - 22" Barrel

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt...es/t-c-compass
Quote:
Old 11-18-2018, 7:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What was the lowest price before rebate previously? We paid $274.99 less the previous $75 rebate - total with FFL fees + sales tax was $272 OTD.

With the current $50 rebate deal going on thru Dec 31st, you'd only be paying $25 more. What caliber would you be looking for? Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has carries the Compass in pretty much all the calibers for $274.99 with free shipping.

https://www.tcarms.com/rebates/
There's no Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore near me. Which means shipping and transfer fee. More than the current Turner's ad.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Quote:

Old 11-18-2018, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There's no Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore near me. Which means shipping and transfer fee. More than the current Turner's ad.

Sportsman's ships the Compass for free. All the FFL's in your area gouge on fees? If Turners has it for $249, I'd call that a great deal considering the rebate knocks another $50 off. Are you a penny-pinching KLR owner/rider?
Quote:

Last edited by WartHog; 11-18-2018 at 7:58 AM..
Old 11-18-2018, 8:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Sportsman's ships the Compass for free. All the FFL's in your area gouge on fees? If Turners has it for $249, I'd call that a great deal considering the rebate knocks another $50 off. Are you a KLR owner/rider?
Turner's has them for $299 with the rebate it is $249. Yes still a good deal. Just not as good as it was last year.

The best price for a transfer I know of is $25 so even with shipping still no better than Turner's.

I have no idea what a KLR is and since I don't know what it is I'm going to have to say that I don't own or ride one.

Quote:

Old 11-18-2018, 8:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I have no idea what a KLR is and since I don't know what it is I'm going to have to say that I don't own or ride one.

LOL - sorry, I was just being a bit of a wise-guy. You're still only paying a little more for a fine-shooting, great quality, inexpensive rifle. I'd just go ahead and buy it.
Quote:
Old 11-19-2018, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

Kentucky Gun Co. has the Compass for $259.99 now thru Black Friday - makes it $209.99 after $50 rebate.
https://www.kygunco.com/Search/AjaxS...tDirection=asc

https://gun.deals/product/kentucky-g...-friday-sale-0
Quote:

Last edited by WartHog; 11-19-2018 at 3:54 PM..
Old 11-19-2018, 3:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Kentucky Gun Co. has the Compass for $259.99 now thru Black Friday - makes it $209.99 after $50 rebate.
https://www.kygunco.com/Search/AjaxS...tDirection=asc

https://gun.deals/product/kentucky-g...-friday-sale-0
Too bad they don't have the 223 for that price.

Quote:

Old 11-19-2018, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Too bad they don't have the 223 for that price.

You mean this one - https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=111628
Quote:
Old 11-19-2018, 4:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yup. That's not listed on the link you have in the other post.

Quote:

Old 11-19-2018, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

Yup - it is on sale though if you search by the model number.
Quote:
Old 11-19-2018, 4:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yup - it is on sale though if you open up your eyes.
I did. I looked at every gun listed on the webpage you linked. Not my fault they don't have an easier website to navigate.

Quote:

Old 11-19-2018, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I did. I looked at every gun listed on the webpage you linked. Not my fault they don't have an easier website to navigate.

Yeah, they screwed up - I've found it best to search for just about anything using the manufacturers part number. Sorry for the unwarranted snarky comment.
Quote:
Old 11-20-2018, 7:06 AM

No mention of this by anyone ??

From the TC website:
Quote:
Minute Of Angle - T/C's match grade barrels with 5R rifling deliver guaranteed Minute of Angle accuracy... 1" (3 shot) groups at 100 yards with premium ammunition.
Tikka does this. Any other brand ? $900 rifles ??
Old 11-20-2018, 1:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The 5R rifling was the deciding feature for me between the Savage Axis II, Remington 783, and the T/C Compass.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old 11-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Default COMPASS 6.5 CREEDMOOR $179.99 AFTER $50 REBATE!

Sportsman's Warehouse has the T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor for $179.99 after the $50 factory rebate is factored in. Sale price is $229.99 only for 6.5 Creedmoor - all other calibers are $279.99. https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...gory/cat134103
Quote:

Last edited by WartHog; 11-30-2018 at 1:51 PM..
Old 11-30-2018, 12:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Sportsman's Warehouse has the T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor for $179.99 after the $50 factory rebate is factored in. Sale price is $229.99 only for 6.5 Creedmoor - all other calibers are $279.99.
Nice. Tempting. $220 for the rifle, $500-$700 for ammo I don't have in a new caliber.
Old 12-01-2018, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Sportsman's Warehouse has the T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor for $179.99 after the $50 factory rebate is factored in. Sale price is $229.99 only for 6.5 Creedmoor - all other calibers are $279.99. https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...gory/cat134103
Website shows the 6.5CM at $279.99 now. Was this a limited time offer or some secret in-store deal?
Old 12-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked K5 View Post
Website shows the 6.5CM at $279.99 now. Was this a limited time offer or some secret in-store deal?

Sounds like maybe they furked up and changed the price after they caught their mistake. The 6.5 was definitely shown @ $229.99 when I originally posted.
Quote:
Old 12-07-2018, 6:02 PM

I am so sad right now... I saw the sportsman’s deal last night and told
Myself I would buy today and then poof... gone
Old 12-27-2018, 9:46 PM

So I pick mine up tomorrow and now looking at scopes...

What do you all think of the Nikon ProStaff 5 Rifle Scope 2.5x10x 40mm? What type of rings should I get? This is my first bolt action rifle so I am completely new to this stuff haha
Old 12-27-2018, 11:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default T/C Compass $198.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP View Post
So I pick mine up tomorrow and now looking at scopes...

What do you all think of the Nikon ProStaff 5 Rifle Scope 2.5x10x 40mm? What type of rings should I get? This is my first bolt action rifle so I am completely new to this stuff haha

I used the vertically split Warne Maxima rings medium height.

Those rings are easy to work with because you have less need to do ring truing on them versus horizontally split rings with bolts on both sides.

What’s the purpose of the rifle? The BDC reticle is fine for known distance shooting on flat range like steel gongs. It’s ok for hunting if you’re only going to shoot basically “combat zero” shots where you’re not adjusting for distance and accepting some inaccuracy but effectively accurate enough (5” or so) such as 25-300 yards. But it’s not good for unknown distance (or practicing as if unknown distance) shooting where you would use features of the reticle to determine distance and then either hold-over or adjust reticle to new distance and fire.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member

Last edited by lordmorgul; 12-27-2018 at 11:41 PM..
Old 12-28-2018, 1:40 PM

talley rings in low for 40/42mm scope will be fine. I also like DNZ rings.
2.5-10 IMO is the perfect hunting scope. IF you want more target shooting than something like 3-12 or 4-16. BDC is good for hunting but target it is much better to dial.
If you go higher power scope, then step up to better glass for the higher magnification.
buy once, cry once. I really like my monarch scopes. I think I like them better than my VX3 scopes.
also here is a deal for good hunting scope for $159 https://www.natchezss.com/burris-ful...cle-matte.html
or more target for 219. https://www.natchezss.com/burris-mta...ack-matte.html
they got plenty of other brands to choose from

Last edited by FishnHunt; 12-28-2018 at 1:42 PM..
Old 12-28-2018, 6:55 PM

Thank you guys so much for the advice and suggestions. If im being honest with myself, this is going to be at the range or BLM more often than not target shooting. My goal is go to on my first hunt at some point in 2019. Let me know if that changes your advice.

I definitely need to read up on all the different reticles - there are so many different options that its a bit overwhelming. If its worth spending a bit more on the scope, I definitely will.
Old 12-28-2018, 9:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default T/C Compass $198.98

Cheek weld on this stock will be best as low as you can go so if the Talley low works go with that. They are probably good enough as sold to not bother truing and that’s mainly an issue to avoid minor installation marks on the scope than anything else.

Fish hunt gave you great scope options. For a mostly target rifle that may go first hunt I would pick the Burris Mtac. If you really are hesitant to deal with the more featured reticle then go with the Nikon you had picked out over the full field 3-9, you would likely be disappointed in that as a target gun.

4.5 is fine for hunting in California or nearby states you won’t be taking a 30 yard shot in dense woods, it’s all relatively open. You cannot use an illuminated reticle (even with battery removed) in California hunting, so don’t buy one.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member

Last edited by lordmorgul; 12-28-2018 at 9:45 PM..