Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-14-2017, 2:27 PM

Default 870 Express Finish?

Picked up a Police trade in 870 magnum a few months ago and it came with a mismatched barrel that was blued. I'd like to refinish the barrel to match the rest of the gun, but I'm not sure what finish the receiver is.

My goolge-fu is weak, the best answer I could find is that it's either parkerized or matte finish?

Lastly how much would it be to get this done to the barrel? Anyone know where I could get this done in So. Cal? Or would I be better off cerakoting the whole shotgun?
Old 03-14-2017, 2:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Its a really ****ty park. Honestly you would be better off with a cerakote or something similar. Not too many people parkerizing guns anymore.
Old 03-14-2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Its a really ****ty park. Honestly you would be better off with a cerakote or something similar. Not too many people parkerizing guns anymore.
Haha, yes it's terrible. Everyone I know who has an 870 has rust issues. Was trying to be cheap and not cerakote but it looks like that is the best option. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-14-2017, 2:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxl0bster View Post
Picked up a Police trade in 870 magnum a few months ago and it came with a mismatched barrel that was blued. I'd like to refinish the barrel to match the rest of the gun, but I'm not sure what finish the receiver is.

My goolge-fu is weak, the best answer I could find is that it's either parkerized or matte finish?

Lastly how much would it be to get this done to the barrel? Anyone know where I could get this done in So. Cal? Or would I be better off cerakoting the whole shotgun?
The Police Magnum has a parkerized finished, specifically manganese phosphate. Very common for steel military guns and gun parts. Great at keeping oil in place and ages into a very dark grey-green over the years...Garands are a great example. Brownells catalog has a bunch of good info on parkerizing.

Express guns use black oxide...a cheap and easy to use process. Little if any rust retardation. Some Express guns show surface rust and need regular maintenance. I use paste was designed for hardwood floors with beeswax and carnauba.

I just sent a barrel to these guys... Quality Plating ...and it came out perfectly matching the receiver.

I'd recommend them highly. They also have an FFL if you want to do the entire gun.

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Last edited by -hanko; 03-14-2017 at 9:52 PM..
Old 03-14-2017, 6:47 PM

Bain & Davis in San Gabriel used to do parkerizing. They are still in business but under a new name, something like Oscar's Gun Works. Have not been in there since the change, so not sure about their gunsmithing team. Also try King's Gunworks in Glendale, if they are still there.

I have a parkerized 870 that I use sometimes for ducks, and it rusts while you are looking at it. My refinish will be a can of flat black lacquer, does the job and easily removable if you decide to do some other finish later. Best looking and most durable finish would be Cerakote or something similar.
Old 03-14-2017, 8:04 PM

Ducky, Parkerizing does not protect the metal. Oil protects the metal. Parkerizing is like having a micro sponge wrapped around the metal and it holds the oil. If you have a parkerized 870 and it is rusting it is because there is no oil on it.

OP. The finish you are talking about is a Remington finish that only they do. You can send the barrel into to them but it will cost you close to what a new 18.5" Parkerized Bead sight Police cost which is $116. I say sell your Express barrel and get the P barrel. The matte finish on your barrel was designed to look like Parkerizing so many people think the have a parkerized 870 but do not. Remington only parkerizes two shotguns, the 870 police and the 11-87 Police.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunslings.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 03-14-2017, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

The parkerizing from Remington does a terrible job holding the oil. It's garbage. Just Cerokote or rattlecan it and move on.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 03-14-2017 at 8:52 PM..
Old 03-15-2017, 8:17 AM

Thank you everyone for all the excellent info. This was supposed to be a budget build, looks like I'll either cerakote or per aippi's suggestion sell my barrel and pick up a new barrel.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:52 AM

I picked up a beater 870 also a few months ago. I used engine paint that has ceramic in it, then baked it for a while. So far so good. And it was cheap, like 7 bucks. It's a little too glossy for my likes but I'm living with it. It seems to be holding up pretty well. I don;t remember the brand of paint, but I think it was VHT Engine Enamel. This was a budget build as well.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:10 PM

I picked up an 870 Express Tactical when Remington had the Black Friday rebate last year and I've already noticed some rust on it. This isn't something that I want to spend a lot of money on as I'm just using it as a beater.

CJJohn how did your prepare the metal before painting it?
Old 03-15-2017, 2:45 PM

Great Job CJ. I hereby give your 870 the "AI&P Tactical Two Thumbs and a Pecker Straight Up Award".

When you see surface rust on a Black Oxide Matte finish 870 that is the finish doing it's job. It is surface rust and wipes right off. If you see a spec of rust on a Blued gun it is to late as the rust forms in the pore and eats away at the metal till you have a pit. Nothing wrong with the Express finish if you maintain your guns.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunslings.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 03-15-2017, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

If you are ging to parkerize your barrel, you should do the entire gun.

There is a cheapo method you can do yourself if you have the equipment and space. All you need is Phosphoric Acid, which you can get at Home Depot, a stainless steel pan large enough to fit you barrel/receiver, a couple hot plates, a thermometer, and either a bead blaster or some muriatic acid pool cleaner.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Str...0220/100406369

Ospho is probably better: http://www.ospho.com/index.htm

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

Last edited by Carcassonne; 03-15-2017 at 3:00 PM..
Old 03-15-2017, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1911 View Post
I picked up an 870 Express Tactical when Remington had the Black Friday rebate last year and I've already noticed some rust on it. This isn't something that I want to spend a lot of money on as I'm just using it as a beater.

CJJohn how did your prepare the metal before painting it?
LOl, thanks. non chlorinated break cleaner, steel wool, then acetone before the paint. It's a Jeep gun so I REALLY didn't worry too much about what's outside and instead upgraded the insides........... where it counts. IMHO....
Old 03-15-2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Great Job CJ. I hereby give your 870 the "AI&P Tactical Two Thumbs and a Pecker Straight Up Award".

When you see surface rust on a Black Oxide Matte finish 870 that is the finish doing it's job. It is surface rust and wipes right off. If you see a spec of rust on a Blued gun it is to late as the rust forms in the pore and eats away at the metal till you have a pit. Nothing wrong with the Express finish if you maintain your guns.
Thank you Sir. I got a lot of info from your posts. I wanted a simple cheap reliable beater 12 ga. and I trust my life to this one. Shop bandsaw for the shorter barrel, Engine paint finish, used Police for-end, Wilson +2 mag extension, police magnum extractor, springs, but kept the plastic trigger plate. It works for me......

Sorry for the hi jack OP. I guess it's what you want, but I've been very happy with this finish........ and for a "beater/ budget"...rattle can it. Who cares what the cover looks like. OK, within reason.......

Last edited by CJJohn; 03-15-2017 at 4:04 PM..
Old 03-15-2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
If you are ging to parkerize your barrel, you should do the entire gun.

There is a cheapo method you can do yourself if you have the equipment and space. All you need is Phosphoric Acid, which you can get at Home Depot, a stainless steel pan large enough to fit you barrel/receiver, a couple hot plates, a thermometer, and either a bead blaster or some muriatic acid pool cleaner.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Str...0220/100406369

Ospho is probably better: http://www.ospho.com/index.htm

I've looked into it, seems simple enough, but I'm not too confident with my shade tree gunsmithing skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJohn View Post
Thank you Sir. I got a lot of info from your posts. I wanted a simple cheap reliable beater 12 ga. and I trust my life to this one. Shop bandsaw for the shorter barrel, Engine paint finish, used Police for-end Wilson +2 mag extension, police magnum extractor, springs, but kept the plastic trigger plate. It works for me......

Sorry for the hi jack OP. I guess it's what you want, but I've been very happy with this finish........ and for a "beater/ budget"...rattle can it. Who cares what the cover looks like. OK, within reason.......
Haha no problem! I'm enjoying reading all the great responses. Just more reasons to browse the forum more than I already do. BTW you did an awesome up job on that 870 of yours.
Old 03-15-2017, 4:10 PM

Thanks! It's in the top 3 I would grab if SHTF.
Old 03-15-2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Ducky, Parkerizing does not protect the metal. Oil protects the metal. Parkerizing is like having a micro sponge wrapped around the metal and it holds the oil. If you have a parkerized 870 and it is rusting it is because there is no oil on it.
I know you do this for a living, but my response is "Well, DUH!" I had my 870 Sportsman (you remember those, of course) bead blasted and parkerized after my kids beat the hell out of it learning to hunt ducks. It is always well oiled, but the Salton Sea is a brutal place to keep a gun looking pretty.
Old 03-15-2017, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

In the same situation. A friend is going to cerakote it.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

This stuff works well. I used it and scrubbed with some 0000 bronze wool. Oil it up afterwards.

http://www.evapo-rust.com