Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2021, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I would expect a normal rate of attrition, people move, didn't use it like they thought and don't bother to renew, die. We know the issue rate has dropped dramatically of course and I think SDCGO would yelp loudly if increased denials or revocations were happening.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 01-28-2021, 6:32 AM

Currently the number of permits : 4303

Perhaps they didn’t update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2021, 6:39 PM

After a year in the process I just got approved. Best of luck to the rest of you guys. Anyone have a strong recommendation for which CCW class to take?
Old 02-25-2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchma View Post
After a year in the process I just got approved. Best of luck to the rest of you guys. Anyone have a strong recommendation for which CCW class to take?
A year?! I feel for ya. I am so glad I did mine back in 2018.

As for instructors I highly recommend James Murphy. Former Sheriffs, US Marshal, and Marine. https://www.yelp.com/biz/ppft-person...diego?osq=ppft I used him for both my initial 8 hour class and my 4 hour renewal.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Congrats. I recommend Split Second Shooting https://g.co/kgs/RFCHrz
He's a retired Marine, and solid guy.
Old 02-25-2021, 7:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I've taken the class at Discount Gun Mart on Morena, twice now. I'll go again to renew again in two years. Good taco shop across the street for lunch noms if you're doing the 8 hour class.

Side Note: On my recent renewal for the shooting portion, the instructor noticed the red dot on my M&P and that I was shooting well. So for my last course of fire he put out three targets and then had me do transitions while calling out which target to hit. It's just a small thing but I appreciated him trying to make things more fun.

Also in my initial class they had us fire from the hip at three yards. That's not part of the official state requirement but they threw it in. We didn't do that on my recent renewal.

Fighter Pilot
Old 02-25-2021, 11:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
I've taken the class at Discount Gun Mart on Morena, twice now. I'll go again to renew again in two years. Good taco shop across the street for lunch noms if you're doing the 8 hour class.

Side Note: On my recent renewal for the shooting portion, the instructor noticed the red dot on my M&P and that I was shooting well. So for my last course of fire he put out three targets and then had me do transitions while calling out which target to hit. It's just a small thing but I appreciated him trying to make things more fun.

Also in my initial class they had us fire from the hip at three yards. That's not part of the official state requirement but they threw it in. We didn't do that on my recent renewal.

Same here. Frequent classes well suits a busy schedule.

It's funny, I bought my first handgun there in 1987.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 02-26-2021, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post

I went with Kyle Dau also for my renewal.

Patrick Lovette had me shoot transitioning while he called out different target, agreed, made it a little more fun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2021, 7:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Currently the number of permits : 4303

Perhaps they didn’t update?
Now shows 4,413
https://www.sdsheriff.net/i-want-to/...eapons-license
Old 03-01-2021, 9:10 AM

Hi all. I’m enjoying the second year of my permit originally issued 9/9/2019. Due to a change in my career I may not be able to use the same good cause I did before on renewal. Since COVID I shoot more regularly and have acquired more firearms now than before. I am strongly considering switching my good cause to “target shooting at remote locations with numerous firearms”. Has anyone switched good causes between original permit and renewal? Did that add to the time in between? Also are they still accepting target shooting in remote locations as acceptable good cause? Thanks everyone in advance for the feedback.
Old 03-01-2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1559 View Post
Hi all. I’m enjoying the second year of my permit originally issued 9/9/2019. Due to a change in my career I may not be able to use the same good cause I did before on renewal. Since COVID I shoot more regularly and have acquired more firearms now than before. I am strongly considering switching my good cause to “target shooting at remote locations with numerous firearms”. Has anyone switched good causes between original permit and renewal? Did that add to the time in between? Also are they still accepting target shooting in remote locations as acceptable good cause? Thanks everyone in advance for the feedback.
Have you checked with SDCGO? They may be able to help on this.
Old 03-01-2021, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Be prepared to prove the locations and times.
Old 03-01-2021, 7:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I have not switched my good cause but got approved initially with a good cause like you are proposing...and then just got renewed for it in Dec. Some suggestions...

Try to keep things on the shorter side. Less is more as long as you include the pertinent details

Cite the value of weapons, vehicle, camping equipment, etc., that makes you a risk for theft.

Cite remoteness with patchy cell service and increased police response time if you ever needed them.

They asked for pictures of me in the location with my vehicle and guns both times. Things like receipts from camp grounds are helpful if there's a campground where you go.

Good luck!

Fighter Pilot
Old 03-02-2021, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Have you checked with SDCGO? They may be able to help on this.

Yep, this is step 1.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:10 PM

I finally got mine after a year long process. Whew. Took forever!
Old 03-25-2021, 1:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
4634–an increase of >200 in one month!
https://www.sdsheriff.gov/i-want-to/...eapons-license
Old 03-25-2021, 4:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Talking

Quote:
4634–an increase of >200 in one month!
https://www.sdsheriff.gov/i-want-to/...eapons-license
I’ll bet back in 2017 when this thread began most of you thought you’d never see the day when Gore would issue >200 CCWs per month.
Old 03-25-2021, 9:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I’ll bet back in 2017 when this thread began most of you thought you’d never see the day when Gore would issue >200 CCWs per month.
I remember thinking, "yea, and a monkey just flew out of my butt." But here we are.

Fighter Pilot
Old 03-26-2021, 10:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you folk know people in LA county who want CCWs, Sheriff Villanueva has loosened Good Cause from Dark Red to Yellow and may loosen it even more this summer. More details can be found in the LA Co thread in the Concealed Carry County Information forum.
Old 04-05-2021, 7:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You're doing yeoman's work Paladin. I've been dealing with SDC Sheriff since 1994 and there has been a sea change. You working on LA County is just so encouraging. The counties are falling like dominoes! Two year dominoes! Keep it up.
Old 04-05-2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
That is absolutely correct. I held off for so long because I thought my GC would never fly. It wasn't until I saw similar Good Causes on the SDGO website that I felt comfortable enough to try.