Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Your Preferred, Personal "Mess Kit"

Some like former military kits, from the Swedish Army kits to a canteen cup...

Some remember their Boy Scout days with fondness...

There are practically endless variations these days.

What's your "go to" in terms of a Personal "Mess Kit" in or for a 'survival' scenario?

Last edited by TrappedinCalifornia; 10-14-2022 at 7:43 AM..
Old 10-15-2022, 10:23 AM
Calguns Addict

My Boy Scout Kit from the 1960s is sufficient. It's light, compactable, and has been in use for 60 years and it's as good as new. My Boy Scout knife, spoon, and fork set from the 60s are also as good as new.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:09 PM
This page left blank
CGN Contributor

What Randy said. Plus a "Sierra" cup.
Old 10-15-2022, 2:52 PM

I'm in process of modding cheap non-sticks into mess kit by removing or bobbing the handles and use universal pot grabber handle.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...e&athbdg=L1300

Walmart mainstays 2 quart pan is also a candidate.

On 9" cake pan with wider flat lip I put two opposed then used pliers to bend the lips together in 3 random spots, then used metal document clips and it seems to work quite well to hold them together to make semi-sealed cooking container. They also nest. Idea would be as stand alone or as cover for non-stick real pot, and as plate/bowl.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilton-Ba...ll&athena=true

9" are bit too big and these don't look like they have enough flat lip for my bending locking scheme but might work with more bends.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilton-Ba...ll&athena=true

Main reason for non-stick is easier cleanup with less water.

I like these spoons for use in small non-stick pot such as Walmart Mainstays 2qt. Long enough to not fall in but also works as table spoon for eating out of the pot and wont hurt non-stick and wont melt even on hot cast iron, and very light weight. Also nice and long for digging food out of the bottom of a bag.https://www.amazon.com/Stirring-Cook...s%2C585&sr=8-6
https://www.amazon.com/Stirring-Cook...s%2C585&sr=8-6

$1.50 small lightweight chef's knife. My knife experts tells me its quite good knife steel. 10.5" total length. Lots of other cheap cool stuff at Diaso. https://www.amazon.in/Deba-Bouchou-F.../dp/B00H6P6RN6

Last edited by Big Chudungus; 10-18-2022 at 11:34 AM..
Old 10-15-2022, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

My personal, individual 'kit' shares aspects with the Boy Scout version and the military 'kits.' In other words, it's a bit of an hybrid. Of course, I've gone through most variations over the years to arrive at it and the 'kit' is seen as 'too much' by some and 'not enough' by others. Which means, to me, that I may have found something in the sweet spot, where it's far too easy to succumb to the idea that if you don't have something which will allow for every scenario possible, you don't have enough, but cutting your nose off to spite your face when counting ounces can lead to grave consequences.

It was just interesting to see all the variations being noted in articles, on YouTube, etc. Some of them, while based on "Old School" technology from the 18th and 19th Century just strikes me as 'too much weight' for the modern crowd and the ultra lightweight, titanium obsessed comes across as far too 'techy' for the average person. Both appear to be far too expensive in that while good gear can cost, 'survival' gear should also be affordable in a truly obtainable way.

I was just curious to see what people here were using.
Old 10-16-2022, 5:26 AM

Stanley 2 cup set here. Bought about a dozen when they dropped to around 10 bucks awhile back gave a couple away, have one in my Jeep and 4 with my camping gear.
Old 10-16-2022, 6:03 AM
Calguns Addict

This is just me but when I go camping (with the exception if it's not some type of big group gathering or emergency situation) I like pack light. Maybe things like nuts, trail mix and of course water.

So it's Mountain House meals, which have the best flavor of all the freeze-dried meals in a bag.

And you just need a long spoon so you don't have to cut the bag, to get it all the food at the bottom, which allows you to use the bag to carry out your trash like napkins or a few wet wipes.

They sell special titanium long spoons for hardcore hikers but I just use a long wooden spoon. The kind that everyone has in their kitchen to stir things they're cooking.

For the weight and space that a mess kit is going to take up, not even counting the food you're going to use, I could easily pack four or five Mountain House meals ready to go in their own bags.
You can even eat them with just cold water mixed in but you have to wait about twice as long for the food to absorb the water that way.

Last edited by sealocan; 10-16-2022 at 6:07 AM..
Old 10-16-2022, 6:07 AM

Third on the Boy Scout kit. Mine is around 55 years old.
Old 10-16-2022, 6:27 AM

Snow Peak plate, bowl, cup and a GSI Skillet. Has served all my needs.
Old 10-16-2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
My Boy Scout Kit from the 1960s is sufficient. It's light, compactable, and has been in use for 60 years and it's as good as new. My Boy Scout knife, spoon, and fork set from the 60s are also as good as new.
Yep, still have the mess kit, canteen, backpack/frame and sleeping bag. Fine for one.

Since I had a camper from the mid-70's on until recently, I rarely used the Boy Scout stuff. Good backup though, and now primary.
Old 10-17-2022, 7:55 AM
Calguns Addict

We just use old stuff that used to be kitchen/table ware and press it into service.
Waste not.

*we do favor long handled iced tea spoons for their reach and japanese style soup spoons for their ability to actually hold soup. Small enough to fit anywhere.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-17-2022, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

I just use a canteen cup.
Old 10-18-2022, 5:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I spent 10 days cruising my small KatBote 16 that I built for a trip from Olympia to Port Townsend. Most nights were anchored out. I was solo. But my rations of Mountain House, coffee were all made in 60 seconds with my JETBOIL.
I would just pour into the bag, let it sit and long spoon it out. Also easy to cook In the JETBOIL container. I did have a stove on board but never used it.
Fun Trip

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 10-18-2022, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
I spent 10 days cruising my small KatBote 16 that I built for a trip from Olympia to Port Townsend. Most nights were anchored out. I was solo. But my rations of Mountain House, coffee were all made in 60 seconds with my JETBOIL.
I would just pour into the bag, let it sit and long spoon it out. Also easy to cook In the JETBOIL container. I did have a stove on board but never used it.
Fun Trip

Bob
If all your doing is boiling water, it's hard to beat a Jetboil or MSR Reactor!
Old 10-19-2022, 12:39 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Another vote for Jetboil. It is a cooking system that works in most weather conditions, is very efficient, and is compact to carry.

I've used it in 28 mph high-wind, 31F outdoor temperature, to boil water for my Mountain House meal and coffee. It took just a couple minutes, and I got boiling water ready.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

I know this is not what the cool kids use, but it works. Breaks down into 2 pieces and starts fires for cooking and can be used directly on your cook pot/pan etc. Camping gear has 3 of them stored. Very KISS, common and cheap.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic...-Head/50126385
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-20-2022, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

My simple option would be a nice supply of MRE’s with chemical heaters. Easy.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-20-2022, 5:30 AM
Calguns Addict

As I said in the OP, there are, practically, 'endless variations.'

As I later noted, I was just curious to see what people here were using; which, in some respects, provides an indication insofar as the thinking and presumptions involved in how each views a 'survival' scenario.

It's been interesting so far. I have to admit, I've never tried the Jet Boil, although I've been tempted a number of times; at least in terms of backpacking and short term survival scenarios.
Old 10-20-2022, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
As I said in the OP, there are, practically, 'endless variations.'

As I later noted, I was just curious to see what people here were using; which, in some respects, provides an indication insofar as the thinking and presumptions involved in how each views a 'survival' scenario.

It's been interesting so far. I have to admit, I've never tried the Jet Boil, although I've been tempted a number of times; at least in terms of backpacking and short term survival scenarios.
I go backpacking monthly, so I listed what I use there. Now if you are talking about what I keep in my BOB, then I have an Emberlit UL titanium stove, a 4"x8" grill, a Snow Peak Titanium Trek 700 Mug, and a long Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spork. These were cast offs from previous camp kits that all have lots of miles and meals on them but are very serviceable.
Old 10-20-2022, 7:07 PM

2 large sierra cups, a coffee mug, 2 large metal sporks, the frying pan and pot out of an old BSA mess kit, and an aluminum percolator.
Old 10-21-2022, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

I keep a handsome supply of Stero type fuel canisters by the case too. But as a part time metal fabricator, I’ve made some portable rocket stoves that burn wood, pine cones, bark, whatever is flamable. I’ll never run out of fuel for cooking if needed.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-23-2022, 2:16 AM
Calguns Addict

What I like and, in some cases, find fascinating are some of the improvements or proposed improvements on things which have been around for some time. I'm not talking so much about the use of new materials, but, well... For instance...

I've got the Heavy Cover lid for both the Crusader Cup and the U.S. GI Canteen Cup. It's a trifle 'heavy,' was a bit expensive, and I wish I'd bought more as they work well. (I don't think they are made anymore.) I'm tempted to try this version of the 'Swedish Army Mess Kit' in that it's not much more expensive than the actual kits, is in stainless steel (the original ones in stainless can be difficult to find at times), and it's not 'painted.' I'm just not sure it's enough of an 'improvement,' but it does seem to be robustly made as opposed to the corner cutting often seen in off shore sourced 'copies.'

Then there's the 'combinations' that come up such as a canteen/canteen cup, a Swedish Army Mess Kit (which was utilized by more than just the Swedes), and a GI Mess Kit for a 'near complete' kitchen set up... in the opinion of some.

I just find something like the Mors Kochanski 2-liter Bush Pot to be limiting in many ways...

Well, at least as the 'only' pot you have with you. I get it and don't necessarily disagree. But, it strikes as being more a part of a 'survival kit' and not necessarily a 'mess kit.' Then again, how much do you want to carry for 'survival' where 'mess' is only one part and what is your approach to 'mess;' i.e., what you would use with 'only MRE's' is likely to be different than what you would use if you intend to 'live off the land.'

As I said, it was just interesting to see all the variations being noted in articles, on YouTube, etc.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:08 AM
Calguns Addict

As a couple of members suggested above, sometimes, in the line of thought that 'survival' gear should also be affordable in a truly obtainable way, creativity sometimes has its merits...

After all, famed survival instructor Ron Hood simply used a coffee tin as his 'pot' for years and in one of her 'Cave Cooking' videos, his wife utilizes an abandoned frying pan to prepare a decent looking, foraged meal.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
As a couple of members suggested above, sometimes, in the line of thought that 'survival' gear should also be affordable in a truly obtainable way, creativity sometimes has its merits...

After all, famed survival instructor Ron Hood simply used a coffee tin as his 'pot' for years and in one of her 'Cave Cooking' videos, his wife utilizes an abandoned frying pan to prepare a decent looking, foraged meal.
It doesn't take genius level MacGyver skills to come up with something to prep/eat a meal with.

Need drives imagination, imagination drives experimentation, experimentation delivers results. Results are weighed and refined by trial and error.
All that diy experience is skipped over by point and click shopping. Sad.
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-26-2022, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
It doesn't take genius level MacGyver skills to come up with something to prep/eat a meal with.

Need drives imagination, imagination drives experimentation, experimentation delivers results. Results are weighed and refined by trial and error.
All that diy experience is skipped over by point and click shopping. Sad.
I think it's referred to as 'missing the obvious' due to convenience. More money than time can often lead to experimentation, not due to imagination, but due to the thought that one can shortcut actual experience. It doesn't necessarily taken 'genius level MacGyver skills,' but it does, usually, take a certain level of experience ('trial and error') to distinguish what will work in most circumstances, under a variety of conditions.

Well... That and the effect of 'wealth signalling'...

Quote:
...Desire, status and luxury are concepts that have been explored for hundreds of years. In 1899, sociologist and economist Thorstein Veblen suggested that the act of buying expensive things was a means for people to communicate their social status to others. He suggested that the purchase of luxury goods, expensive houses or attending exclusive soirees was a form of ‘wealth signalling’, or what others have called ‘peacocking’...
It's something the media understands well; as do advertisers.

One of the preeminent examples are knives used by 'survival instructors' (and other personalities) on television.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:10 PM
Calguns Addict

USGI for me. And a canteen cup.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:44 PM

I got a deal awhile back on 15oz cans of sardines and those tins make great cooking/eating tins too. I tend to stock shelf stable items in sizes for single servings but that deal was too good to pass up; it was like 1.50 per tin. Price mistake probably. I shape the lids into utensils. Still have the Boy Scout mess kit for civilized eating.

Power is out tonight so good time to process out emergency gear in the dark.