Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:26 PM

Default Recommendation Non Electric Heater

When power goes out during deep winter months. What do Calgunners recommend as indoor room heating. Assume I don't have access to firewood or fireplace.
Thanks.
Old 10-20-2019, 4:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

propane heater how big an area are you going to heat ? TRy craigslist and ebay. Where are you located?

Last edited by edgerly779; 10-20-2019 at 4:29 AM..
Old 10-20-2019, 5:58 AM
Veteran Member

Make sure you have proper ventilation, like a chimney. Death from carbon monoxide poisoning isn't fun.
Old 10-20-2019, 5:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do a lot of baking.
You need at least a duel tank.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/mr heater/heating?cm_mmc=SEM-_-Google-_-Heating-_-MrHeaterBroadTaxRespAd&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7DtBRCLARIsA GCJWBqTsQ9ZF_8b6RJlei5C8yDJtNUWgdJ8wcbtmPDvPAsQjrJ EvGDn0k4aAuqxEALw_wcB
Old 10-20-2019, 9:23 AM

Delete. Wrong thread
Old 10-20-2019, 9:25 AM

Exclamation I second this

also, be careful with open/unprotected flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
Make sure you have proper ventilation, like a chimney. Death from carbon monoxide poisoning isn't fun.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i use this but also have a battery powered co detector and keep a window slightly open

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Foldable...33669244150446

i also have a dynaglo but i like this one because a 30 pound tank fit inside
its operation is a bit odd it has no pilot only setting it has pilot/one panel then 1,2,3 panel heat

the way they work is fairly safe

also had kerosene for years but its smelly only 2 places in town sells kero and if it spills and catches fire you are not going to have a good time
Old 10-20-2019, 12:35 PM
This page left blank
CGN Contributor

For temporary use during a power outage, blankets are cheap and safe.
Old 10-20-2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jben View Post
For temporary use during a power outage, blankets are cheap and safe.
Old 10-20-2019, 1:53 PM

Don’t forget to include a carbon monoxide detector
Old 10-20-2019, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

The trick of course is getting into bed and having a cover over yourself that's very insulated maybe even highly rated winter sleeping bag that keep your body fully enclosed.

Two other suggestions, the first one I've used it's the old Zippo pocket warmers. they work off any liquid lighter fluid and although they are sometimes a pain to start once they get going they will keep your hands, pockets (or even for a short time only, under your covers) warm for quite a long while. If you use those keep in mind the only way to turn them off is deny them all oxygen and then if you want to keep the fluid from evaporating you should double or triple plastic bag it or just like a Zippo lighter it'll all evaporate.

They also make electric hand warmers and electric socks that run off 9 volt batteries or even rechargeable lithium but I don't know if when you say "no electric" heat do you include items like those smaller ones that could be powered off a solar panel or car battery.

Last edited by sealocan; 10-20-2019 at 2:14 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 8:19 AM

If you chose to go propane keep in mind how much propane they use.
Old 10-21-2019, 9:49 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Mr.Buddy portable heater
Old 10-21-2019, 10:19 AM

What everyone else said. However, if you are looking at long term heating like during a societal collapse, you may need to invest in a wood stove and have a deep stock of aged firewood. If you somewhere where you cant do this, you may need to plan to hunker down for a month or two then move to a recently vacated place nearby that has a fire place and wood supply.

One other ingenuous trick one of my neighbors did during a power outage in the winter was to boil water on their gas stove. The steam both warmed and humidified the air making it feel so much warmer than it actually was.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

You guys know it's OK to use your cold weather gear in the house right? Snow pants/parka/gloves/head cover etc; you can use a pop up tent inside the house to add dead air to your actual sleeping space.

This question all depends on how long the power is out and how cold it is before you NEED to heat your domicile.

When it's in the 30's - 40's you can get small and close/seal off some rooms and registers and only use rooms you can heat easily. The smaller the space the easier it is to warm up. The colder it gets the smaller you get. NO, that's no pea pea joke you yucksters you. Although that's biologically / physiologically correct for the male of our species, but I digress.

Bring in the dog/s and cat/s and the temps will rise in the sleeping room.

Remember the rockers called "3 dog night"?
Well that's how they did it in the old days. 3 dogs on the bed keeping you warm.
A 3 dog night was a very cold night.

Most of these techniques are proven to work. At the very least you can stretch the fuel in your genny or your wood pile for months or until things warm up in the spring.

Don't be this guy.

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-21-2019, 7:28 PM

There is some great stuff in The Warming Store. Battery powered heated jackets and pants.

http://https://www.thewarmingstore.com/
Old 10-21-2019, 8:01 PM
CGN Contributor

Wool blankets. Ones that are 80-90%+ wool.
Old 10-25-2019, 6:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
Mr.Buddy portable heater
Yes, this.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23.../dp/B002G51BZU or its larger version.

I used it tent camping above Bridgeport a couple weeks ago, was awesome.
Although it has safety features, I bought a carbon monoxide detector as an additional layer of safety.

The Portable will burn thru one 1lb propane canister in 4 hrs, so you're gonna want a decent supply. Its larger versions can be hooked up to large propane tank, but the mfgr recommends the large propane tanks be kept outside.

Last edited by RBShooter; 10-25-2019 at 6:44 PM..
Old 10-25-2019, 7:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i use the little dyna glow "tag-a-long" 8000 btu also but a propane only lasts about 2.5 hours on high and about 3 hours on low i have a bunch of the little cans i refill every summer

they are great for heating up the bathroom for a shi# or shower

i dont think they make them anymore though

the propane cabinet heaters are just better for bigger rooms also you can splice in a timer between the thermocouple and tip switch

Last edited by bohoki; 10-25-2019 at 7:30 PM..
Old 10-25-2019, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Propane or electricity is going to get used up very fast. Use good clothing and blankets. Scarves and knit caps as well. Save the electricity and propane for more important things.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 12-05-2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBShooter View Post
Yes, this.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23.../dp/B002G51BZU or its larger version.

I used it tent camping above Bridgeport a couple weeks ago, was awesome.
Although it has safety features, I bought a carbon monoxide detector as an additional layer of safety.

The Portable will burn thru one 1lb propane canister in 4 hrs, so you're gonna want a decent supply. Its larger versions can be hooked up to large propane tank, but the mfgr recommends the large propane tanks be kept outside.
Agree.

I have a lil buddy. Just buy the conversion hose from coleman for running the camping stove on a 20lb tank.

I bought that hose conversion for my camping stove which takes the 20 lb tank to a 1 lb fitting. which of course will work on the lil buddy. Can find them on amazon.

I think it's a firemarshall or some sort of code... that 20 lb tanks are not supposed to be used indoors. Not that it wont work.... but a 20lb tank blowing up inside the house would not be a good time....

lil buddy is supposed to be indoor safe, just crack a window... but be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector as well.
Old 12-05-2019, 8:05 PM

I barely use my heater at all, if the power goes off I'll just add another blanket.
Old 12-05-2019, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

2 big Eskimo gals and a lot of furs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 12-05-2019, 9:04 PM

You might want to consider a vented wall furnace that uses no electricity. Many of these are dual fuel, allowing you to switch between natural gas and propane. You'll need to install the furnace before the need arises, though. Having a proper vent is a big plus for me.
Old 12-06-2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
Mr.Buddy portable heater
Another vote for the buddy heater. I used it instead of the heater in my RV over the hunting trip. Worked perfectly. Leave a window cracked wherever you're using it if you're worried about it.
Old 12-06-2019, 9:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

dynaglo has a new design its called the heataround its indoor safe

360 heat unlike the infrared pannel type but you also have to have clearance all around it
Old 12-06-2019, 9:19 PM
Banned

I have a "Re Verb Ray" mounted on a 40lb tank that's attached to a dedicated wheel dolly. It's east to move, is fairly efficient, and is effective. Since buying the Re Verb Ray I've picked up a couple smaller heaters that operate in the same manner and they work really well. Having different sizes is kind of necessary as these kind of heaters aren't as easily adjustable as other types.

I always keep monoxide detector close by when running it, but its never gone off.

https://www.grainger.com/product/RE-...5-8-Tank-2E393
Old 12-07-2019, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
2 big Eskimo gals and a lot of furs.
With 2 big Eskimo girls there will be a lot of fur

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".
Old 12-07-2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I barely use my heater at all, if the power goes off I'll just add another blanket.
Uh, You're in San Diego!

Sometimes, My ex-Sun Micro co-workers would be walking around in shorts in December. That's rarely going to happen in NorCal.

bv
Old 12-07-2019, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Mr. Heater Buddy portable propane heater. I have one, this little heater is pretty handy. I can use it in the room or garage, or at tailgate during range days.

https://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html
Old 12-08-2019, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sweaters and blankets.

If you want something more formal, either professionally install a gas-fired heating system or a quality wood stove.

I live in a very funky cabin in snow country (had a gloriously white Thanksgiving this year) traditionally heat my home with wood. For a number of reasons, I have not lit a fire in this house for a number of years. The temps get down into the low 40s or even high 30s inside the house at times in the winter. Meh - we are warm-blooded creatures, with a sweater and decent blankets on the bed we do fine.

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)
Old 12-18-2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
Sweaters and blankets.

If you want something more formal, either professionally install a gas-fired heating system or a quality wood stove.

I live in a very funky cabin in snow country (had a gloriously white Thanksgiving this year) traditionally heat my home with wood. For a number of reasons, I have not lit a fire in this house for a number of years. The temps get down into the low 40s or even high 30s inside the house at times in the winter. Meh - we are warm-blooded creatures, with a sweater and decent blankets on the bed we do fine.
I'm built for summer. I can handle those 114 degree days working outside in the sun.

I don't take to cold well at all. My thermostat is set to 66 overnight. No way I'd put up with 40's inside the house.

If the electricity went out, I'd light the fireplace. If there was a reason to not run the fireplace, lil buddy heater and my 6 propane tanks....