Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated > Manual Rifles Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2017, 2:01 PM

Default Pre 64 30-06 dilemma

My grandfather bought it new in 49. The bolt handle, floorplate and triggerguard have zero blue left but have worn to a shiny dark chrome like finish. Much of the original varnish is gone as well, just a few splotchy areas here and there. Checkering rounded and worn.Small dents and scratches all over stock with a small chip out of the bottom of the grip as well as a small gouge in the fore end checkering when I fell climbing down off a rocky arizona ridge looking for a coyote I zapped with a 55gr accelerator 40 years ago. Barrel is scratched, bluing is gone in a few spots. Old hardasarock airpad is actually warped and pulling away from stock. The action is well maintained and butter smooth. The old redfield wideview 2x7 and redfield jr. base and rings still holds zero but does fog. This rifle has seen a lot of country and means a lot to me. It's been my back-up for a long time now and I do shoot it occasionally at the range. I'm stuck between leaving it the way its been for almost 70 years and doing something different like maybe rebarrel to 35 whelen and restock. Would that be totally wrong. I just want this to stay in my family for future gens to use if they still can. I have little grandsons now so maybe that will happen. Thoughts anyone?https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58f53b48...17_124213.jpg?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2017, 8:32 PM

I was in a similar predicament a few years ago. I received it after my grandfather passed. He used it for hunting, but I am more into tactical long range shooting. I decided to make it a little more modern. Started looking for a composite stock. Two years later I finally found a Bell and Carlson Carbelite on eBay today. Put an EGW Pic Rail, a set of Leupold Rings and a Leupold Mark 4 Scope. I have decided to pull the stock, bottom metal and bolt off, and keep them in my safe. They are not in pristine condition, but I want to keep the original equipment as good as I can. By the way, mine is a 1949 as well. What is your serial? Mine is 1110XX. I would keep the original parts to keep them in the condition they are in now, and purchase some of the take off parts from ebay to beat on.
Old 04-18-2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwoodfan101 View Post
I was in a similar predicament a few years ago. I received it after my grandfather passed. He used it for hunting, but I am more into tactical long range shooting. I decided to make it a little more modern. Started looking for a composite stock. Two years later I finally found a Bell and Carlson Carbelite on eBay today. Put an EGW Pic Rail, a set of Leupold Rings and a Leupold Mark 4 Scope. I have decided to pull the stock, bottom metal and bolt off, and keep them in my safe. They are not in pristine condition, but I want to keep the original equipment as good as I can. By the way, mine is a 1949 as well. What is your serial? Mine is 1110XX. I would keep the original parts to keep them in the condition they are in now, and purchase some of the take off parts from ebay to beat on.
Nice score on the stock, hard to find. Serial # is 978xx. It still shoots better than I can.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk