Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-16-2022, 6:24 AM
Veteran Member

Default Just Lost Power!

Power went out at 5:30 am. Woke to the beeping of the UPS powering my internet modem and wifi router. Doesn't do much good when the internet provider also goes down. Using my phone as a hotspot.

Using a Bluetti AC50s to power my tankless water heater. I also have two Bluetti E3A's to power USB lights around the house. I'm just keeping the fridge closed for now, but I have a Jackery 500 next to the outlet if I need it.

I have an off-grid solar powered back-up system in the garage for extended power outages. It is not connected to the house circuit and it's a pain to run an extension cord into the house. It will power everything in the house for a couple of days except for the HVAC and washing machine. Using the smaller power stations is a better alternative for now.

Just received a text message from the power company. ETA for power is 2 hours.
Old 11-16-2022, 7:00 AM

I jumped in my toy hauler on went the generator Cummins 4000. Flipped the switch to my water pump and water heater boom. Iím safe now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2022, 12:55 PM

I look forward to power outages to practice living in a post-EMP world, preferably in the dark to make it more challenging. We recently had one that lasted about a day and if we get ice storms the power can be out for a week or more in winter. Good practice.

Back in the day 20-30 years ago, I'd walk to the shop, fire up the big genset and continue living like PG&E didn't exist. It was convenient but I noted it also left me a target. No getting around the difference between power and no power. People notice.

Now I live like a grey man.

Glad all the systems worked. I used to love doing that stuff, designing, building, maintaining. Then I got old and wondered why.
Old 11-20-2022, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

I'm already old as dirt but still enjoy my little prepping projects. I've also been waiting to use my power back-up systems. I have a small gas generator, but it's been a pain. I was firing it up every month and rotating the fuel supply. Even though it is fairly quiet, it's still noisy and there are exhaust fumes. It also takes some time to set up.

Solar is working out for me. I'll be adding to my larger solar system in the future. I could use more battery storage and solar panels. I'd also like to make it easier to switch from grid power to the off-grid system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user120312 View Post
I look forward to power outages to practice living in a post-EMP world, preferably in the dark to make it more challenging. We recently had one that lasted about a day and if we get ice storms the power can be out for a week or more in winter. Good practice.

Back in the day 20-30 years ago, I'd walk to the shop, fire up the big genset and continue living like PG&E didn't exist. It was convenient but I noted it also left me a target. No getting around the difference between power and no power. People notice.

Now I live like a grey man.

Glad all the systems worked. I used to love doing that stuff, designing, building, maintaining. Then I got old and wondered why.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Last hurricane that passed through here cut power from the afternoon until near noon the next day. I was wary of running my generator in the driving rain but once it tapered off my 5500 watt generator powered the house less HVAC and electric range via a 6 circuit panel that the generator plugs into.

I've since obtained a generator cover for running it in the rain.
Old 11-23-2022, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassburnz View Post
I'm already old as dirt but still enjoy my little prepping projects. I've also been waiting to use my power back-up systems. I have a small gas generator, but it's been a pain. I was firing it up every month and rotating the fuel supply. Even though it is fairly quiet, it's still noisy and there are exhaust fumes. It also takes some time to set up.

Solar is working out for me. I'll be adding to my larger solar system in the future. I could use more battery storage and solar panels. I'd also like to make it easier to switch from grid power to the off-grid system.
Where I live there is no light and power is has been around seven cents a kwh for about a decade now. I still like projects, heck I made my living owning a machine shop for decades, just not projects to kill the local PUD that is charging me practically nothing for power.

When the power goes out I live like my grandparents did on the ranch before electricity using much of the stuff we've saved over the decades. It's really little inconvenience. The worst I guess is plugging my phone into the truck to run the internet if I want that.

One thing to watch for as society deteriorates is criminal activity. We tasted it long ago due to high levels of agricultural crime (stealing farm equipment and supplies) which is where I learned about keeping a low profile. Lights on and a big engine turning in the shop tells crooks there's stuff to steal if they weren't already aware.

I got hit on election day; fortunately it appeared the Sheriff interrupted them before any of the big stuff could be taken. Something to think about for those who aren't pinned to their domicile 24/7. I've watched thieves pilfer other's homes on live security cameras and, heck, one time watched them steal the cameras. Long gone by the time any law enforcement arrived and, TBH, the law doesn't care about property. They just clean up the bodies. Good luck!