Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 08-22-2012, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
Yeah, I tried the Gun Room a couple of times thinking I'd avoid the heat at Sac Valley .. was pretty miserably hot in there . Definitely want to try this new one!
Ditto!
I was at The Gun Room in Elk Grove yesterday and the range felt like a steamy hot sauna.
I still enjoy shooting there on cool days, but on a hot day the indoor range
there is pretty bad, temperature wise.

They need to update their air quality and circulation system like The Gun Range in North Highlands.

"Five Stars" for The Gun Range in North Highlands.
It is a well thought-out facility that takes in consideration for shooters comfort and safety.

586L-Frame
Old 08-23-2012, 2:45 PM

Went today with a friend for the first time.

Friendly staff. Well ventilated. Didn't feel like 'work' to shoot there. Liked being able to draw from my Off the Grid Concepts holster(s).

On a side note:

Took my new Gen 4 19 and put 400 rounds of reload through it without any problems....not one brass to the face and other issues I've read about. I'm hoping I got lucky.

Put 200 rounds of reload through my G36 with no problems either.

I'm thinking I got lucky with my Glocks.
Deputy Vu Nguyen #1427 EOW 12/19/07

Deputy Robert "Bob" French #1162 EOW 8/30/17

Deputy Mark Stasyuk #728 EOW 9/17/2018
Old 09-03-2012, 7:30 PM

I am so glad you guys were open regular hours on labor day! I took my mom and brother to fire my new AR -15 today. It was my moms first time firing a rifle ever! She loved it and you guys were great! Some people get kind of on edge "having to work" on a holiday. Not you guys! Its just a testament as to why you guys have been so busy for such a new establishment.
Old 09-03-2012, 7:55 PM

I just got home from the gun range. This place is seriously a great range. The ventilation is fantastic the staff is beyond friendly and it feels like an incredibly safe environment. I can see me spending some serious time and money there, although they have kept the prices very reasonable. We had four people (and a six month old baby with us). We rented a Glock and brought our own AR and another rifle. The baby played in the clean lobby with the us while the boys shot a few rounds, then they came out and the girls had their practice with the Glock. The staff is very helpful and gave us all some great help and advice.

Don't miss going to the Gun Range.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
I just got home from the gun range. This place is seriously a great range. The ventilation is fantastic the staff is beyond friendly and it feels like an incredibly safe environment. I can see me spending some serious time and money there, although they have kept the prices very reasonable. We had four people (and a six month old baby with us). We rented a Glock and brought our own AR and another rifle. The baby played in the clean lobby with the us while the boys shot a few rounds, then they came out and the girls had their practice with the Glock. The staff is very helpful and gave us all some great help and advice.

Don't miss going to the Gun Range.
Thanks!

I'm working with the owner to become an official CalGuns sponsor so we can toot our own horn!

The best part of my day on the range, is helping new shooters.

After you folks left and when my shift was over, I got to blow off some steam after working from 8AM til 9PM and shoot my co-workers firearm.

I've never considered myself a great shot, but after shooting last night w/ a .45 ACP Glock- I shot so well- I scared myself. I shot the clothespins off the cardboard at 10 yds.

Glad you and your family had a great time and I look forward to see the whole crew back soon!

Kenny
Old 09-04-2012, 2:42 AM

Kenny, I think you would have a good amount of local supporters on this board for you being an official CalGuns sponsor for The Gun Range! I think I told someone there before that I pass 2 gun ranges to get to you guys. I live near Elk Grove, and the people, the ventilation, the common sense approach to rules, and overall respect everyone gives each other is what makes the drive worth it. The fact that you don't have to wait 1 second between shots is just the icing on the cake!

Last edited by BigRobb; 09-04-2012 at 2:45 AM..
Old 09-04-2012, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

I've been there three times, once just to check it out and twice to shoot with friends.

My comments:

This is a nice, well-thought out place to shoot. The counter staff is helpful and friendly. I did have one younger guy question the legality of my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 but it was not in the typical gun store know-it-all manner, he was genuinely curious. I enjoyed showing him my subbie and explaining that since it is impossible to fire the gun while folded, and has a permanently affixed buttstock extension and bullet button, we were in compliance with CA law.

My wife and a female friend who I took there were treated well - in no way were they talked down to. My wife is fairly experienced with firearms, and the other gal is a complete noob - seriously, this was the first gun store or range she ever walked into - and they both were treated with respect and courtesy. I'm grateful that they presented a shop/range environment that I can take future new shooters to with confidence that they will not get turned off to the sport by snooty gun store sales people.

The range was well-ventillated and COOL! I mean the temp! Now this is what I like about an "indoor" range, climate control. Otherwise, if you're going to bake or freeze, why not just go outdoors?

We enjoyed shooting rifles indoors - that's a novel experience!

This was totally a pleasant experience and I can say with confidence I'll be shooting much more frequently now that there's such a great place to shoot that is easily accessible to me. And I'm also glad for a place I can send friends with confidence that they'll have a good experience there.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRobb View Post
Kenny, I think you would have a good amount of local supporters on this board for you being an official CalGuns sponsor for The Gun Range!
I am working on it and the owner has been so busy, he's lucky he gets to see him family... We are in talks to not only become an official vendor- but I want to have a Calguns/StopSB249 appreciation day with a BBQ, discounts and a prize drawing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
This is a nice, well-thought out place to shoot. The counter staff is helpful and friendly. I did have one younger guy question the legality of my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 but it was not in the typical gun store know-it-all manner, he was genuinely curious. I enjoyed showing him my subbie and explaining that since it is impossible to fire the gun while folded, and has a permanently affixed buttstock extension and bullet button, we were in compliance with CA law.
He wasn't curious- he was just jealous. I wouldn't mind having one myself.
Old 09-04-2012, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon911 View Post
I am working on it and the owner has been so busy, he's lucky he gets to see him family... We are in talks to not only become an official vendor- but I want to have a Calguns/StopSB249 appreciation day with a BBQ, discounts and a prize drawing.

I completely understand him being busy! The 6 times (I thought it was 5 but it's 6) I've gone there, on a non-weekend day...you guys were hopping. I mean I pass up an indoor range within 4 miles of me, and another outdoor range while driving up to shoot in your guys' facility. Great people, great prices, great place!

If you were to get a calguns/StopSB249 appreciation day with a BBQ let me know via PM. I'd be happy to volunteer if you would like some help. Only if I could find out enough time in advance to request it off.

-Robb
Old 09-04-2012, 4:55 PM

Quote:
I completely understand him being busy! The 6 times (I thought it was 5 but it's 6) I've gone there, on a non-weekend day...you guys were hopping. I mean I pass up an indoor range within 4 miles of me, and another outdoor range while driving up to shoot in your guys' facility. Great people, great prices, great place!

If you were to get a calguns/StopSB249 appreciation day with a BBQ let me know via PM. I'd be happy to volunteer if you would like some help. Only if I could find out enough time in advance to request it off.

-Robb
I called him today and told him. I've offered to BBQ for free.

Maybe, I should get all CalGunners to sign a petition to get him to become an official vendor! I've been an admin for a bike and a car forum and I know how it is for the admin folks here on CalGuns.

If you go in to shoot and can find Seth when he's not busy- just say Dragon on CalGuns asked me to remind you to become a CG vendor. (He's gonna even hate me more now!)

Off topic: Last night, I shot a G21C with a co-worker- it's his Glock. I shot so well at 10 yds, I scared the you know what outta myself! It was an unreal confidence builder.

I'm so busy at the range - I don't have enough time to shoot or I'm exhausted after a long day. Yesterday was a LONG day, and I was happy that I shot well with a firearm I've only shot once before.

Here is the first time:http://youtu.be/ZZOptTU-JsE
Old 09-04-2012, 5:15 PM

Nicely done Dragon. I would sign that petition. You were very helpful at the counter and on the range while we were learning to shoot that Glock. Thanks to you and Seth and all the great staff at TGR.
Old 09-04-2012, 5:24 PM

Well I cast my vote in! Next time I shoot I'll bug him!
Old 09-04-2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Nicely done Dragon. I would sign that petition. You were very helpful at the counter and on the range while we were learning to shoot that Glock. Thanks to you and Seth and all the great staff at TGR.
If he reads this - he's gonna kick my butt

Our goal is to have everyone to be safe, relaxed and to be a better shooter.

I don't wanna be the grumpy old man as a rangemaster.
Old 09-04-2012, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 PM

I am so busy and miss Thegunrange, been there only 3 times, but I refer to 3 other people and they came there to shoot, of course they praise the range. I'll be there next Thursday
Old 09-05-2012, 1:44 AM

Been to the range twice now. First time was with a friend and we were given a bay all to ourselves to shoot and draw from holsters. Admittedly, we were doing stuff we normally would only have done on BLM land or out at Sac Valley on the private bays or during a class (speed reloads, tac reloads, shooting off hand, etc) No one questioned us or gave us a sideways glance.

Everything I can say about the range has already been said by other people on this thread. Staff is excellent, no chip on the shoulder attitude. Ventilation is great there and the air flow feels amazing.

One thing I would love to see, and this is only for your protection, is maybe get the doors set up so someone inside the shop would have to buzz people in, almost like a pawn shop. Its not a great neighborhood and we can't have more gang bangers trying to go in and walk out with stuff.

And maybe a vending machine.
Old 09-05-2012, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn1stknightsoul View Post
Been to the range twice now. First time was with a friend and we were given a bay all to ourselves to shoot and draw from holsters. Admittedly, we were doing stuff we normally would only have done on BLM land or out at Sac Valley on the private bays or during a class (speed reloads, tac reloads, shooting off hand, etc) No one questioned us or gave us a sideways glance.

Everything I can say about the range has already been said by other people on this thread. Staff is excellent, no chip on the shoulder attitude. Ventilation is great there and the air flow feels amazing.
We like to shoot too.

Quote:
One thing I would love to see, and this is only for your protection, is maybe get the doors set up so someone inside the shop would have to buzz people in, almost like a pawn shop. Its not a great neighborhood and we can't have more gang bangers trying to go in and walk out with stuff.

And maybe a vending machine.
When the sun goes down- the buzzer is on. No vending machine as of yet, but there is water and gatorade available behind the counter.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 PM

This is the kind of gun range i like to shoot at and they are the type of people I like to do business with, Hell I like them more then I like my friends i bring with me to shoot. Maybe next time Troy can work the counter instead of shooting out the back lights and one of you can come shoot with me >?
Old 09-10-2012, 4:54 PM

I just found out they have an excellent lay away options for firearms purchases. I have been in the works of getting my CDS and wanted to check out a ruger lcr .38 +p after shooting today. Very Reasonable price and they told me about layaway. Im not the richest person so that really appeals to me.

As always I had great service. And they have a new guy there for his first day who is also National Guard. Another good addition to the team. Even for 1pm on a Monday they had a good amount of business.
Old 09-25-2012, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We like to shoot too.

When the sun goes down- the buzzer is on. No vending machine as of yet, but there is water and gatorade available behind the counter.
You know, that sounds all fancy-schmantzy... but I've actually had the experience of being busy with chores and hurrying to meet a friend at the range... then getting there and finding I couldn't focus, couldn't hold steady, and kept getting confused. Finally I realized that in my rush to get everything done and get to the range, I'd forgotten to eat lunch and was suffering from low blood sugar. If I'd been able to score a snack of some kind, I'd have been able to enjoy the shooting session. As it was, I had to pack up early because I was just wasting ammo and not having a good time or building any skill. Worse, I was a hazard to myself and others because of my wavering concentration. Not a good combination. On a subsequent range trip I realized this again just prior to starting shooting - I had to leave the range, get a bite, and come back.
Old 09-27-2012, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
You know, that sounds all fancy-schmantzy... but I've actually had the experience of being busy with chores and hurrying to meet a friend at the range... then getting there and finding I couldn't focus, couldn't hold steady, and kept getting confused. Finally I realized that in my rush to get everything done and get to the range, I'd forgotten to eat lunch and was suffering from low blood sugar. If I'd been able to score a snack of some kind, I'd have been able to enjoy the shooting session. As it was, I had to pack up early because I was just wasting ammo and not having a good time or building any skill. Worse, I was a hazard to myself and others because of my wavering concentration. Not a good combination. On a subsequent range trip I realized this again just prior to starting shooting - I had to leave the range, get a bite, and come back.
We have both snack and soda vending machines now, plus accesories, bulk ammo.

For those of you that know the owner- you'll get a kick outta this video of Seth dancing.

http://youtu.be/BWywzcZVrCI; There are a few other videos on my youtube channel.
Old 09-27-2012, 9:06 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm still butthurt that a good indoor range opened around the corner from my house and one of my friends works there, but this all happened two years after I moved out of state.
Old 09-27-2012, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
I'm still butthurt that a good indoor range opened around the corner from my house and one of my friends works there, but this all happened two years after I moved out of state.

Rich- check out the other videos on my youtube channel- like the night shoot. That was fun!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 PM

It's really true about women being more than welcome at The Gun Range. The staff there, both guys and gal, are genuinely happy to see a lady walk through the door, and they seem to really love groups of women who come in to have some fun.

Women are hyper-sensitive to being talked down to, especially when they are going to buy something. I've never seen that happen at The Gun Range and it will influence my shopping when I buy a CCW weapon in the next couple months. (Merry Christmas, Bonnie!)

Speaking of that, TGR has a nice collection of sub-compacts to rent and try out. I'm a big "test-driver", I barely buy socks without trying them on. The rental collection is growing all the time apparently. My dream for that would be that every model they sell would be available for rent. I'm so paranoid about buying "in the dark".

My other dream would be a membership plan. TGR's rates are really reasonable, and I know it's a commercial firm and not a club, but it would be nice to pay an up-front membership fee and then a deep discount to shoot thereafter. Just a thought.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
It's really true about women being more than welcome at The Gun Range. The staff there, both guys and gal, are genuinely happy to see a lady walk through the door, and they seem to really love groups of women who come in to have some fun.

Women are hyper-sensitive to being talked down to, especially when they are going to buy something. I've never seen that happen at The Gun Range and it will influence my shopping when I buy a CCW weapon in the next couple months. (Merry Christmas, Bonnie!)

Speaking of that, TGR has a nice collection of sub-compacts to rent and try out. I'm a big "test-driver", I barely buy socks without trying them on. The rental collection is growing all the time apparently. My dream for that would be that every model they sell would be available for rent. I'm so paranoid about buying "in the dark".

My other dream would be a membership plan. TGR's rates are really reasonable, and I know it's a commercial firm and not a club, but it would be nice to pay an up-front membership fee and then a deep discount to shoot thereafter. Just a thought.
Bonnie- thank you. Our goal is to provide a safe and friendly place for folks to shoot. You know I'm sorta a Glock fan guy, but I await the CA version of the M&P Shield for CCW folks.

As far as membership, Seth is trying to figure out what can work best for his business model.

Kenny
Old 09-29-2012, 12:45 AM

Kenny, any word on the BBQ and being the Calguns go-to guy for TGR? I'm going there Monday evening...would love to "suggest" this to Seth :P
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 PM

Quick lil tid-bit. My mom and I met up there early and were waiting for my brother and a co-worker to show up. So we were waiting in the waiting room just talking. We were offered complimentary ice cold bottle waters while we waited.

I've never been treated so well at a gun range or a gun store. These folks are re-defining the gun range and gun store experience in a good way. The bar has been set. It has been set quite high now!
Old 10-02-2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Quick lil tid-bit. My mom and I met up there early and were waiting for my brother and a co-worker to show up. So we were waiting in the waiting room just talking. We were offered complimentary ice cold bottle waters while we waited.

I've never been treated so well at a gun range or a gun store. These folks are re-defining the gun range and gun store experience in a good way. The bar has been set. It has been set quite high now!
The motto is to treat folks like not only how you'd like to be treated, but treat them like family.

It goes a long way.

I started a new job this week and won't be at the range as much as I'd like. Please give the staff a bad time about a CalGuns/customer appreciation day. Robb offered to man the grill and so did I on a weekend soon. Ask for Seth and tell him you are a CalGunner!

K
Old 10-02-2012, 8:12 PM

I usually work til 4pm on weekends. I just need a few weeks notice when the grilling will happen so I can ask it off. If I can't get it off, I can at least be there at like 5pm.
Old 10-03-2012, 6:33 PM

I had a great experience at this place... as others have said, the range is VERY well ventilated, and the air conditioning keeps the temp even lower than I set the thermostat at home. The range was kept very clean and the employees were friendly and helpful, with none of that gunstore/range snobbery that is so common. I felt very welcome at this place, and will be making it my go-to indoor range as long as this awful heat keeps up. I will not be giving my money to cordova/gun room again.

WELL DONE Seth, I wish your business the best of luck.
Old 10-03-2012, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalC View Post
I had a great experience at this place... as others have said, the range is VERY well ventilated, and the air conditioning keeps the temp even lower than I set the thermostat at home. The range was kept very clean and the employees were friendly and helpful, with none of that gunstore/range snobbery that is so common. I felt very welcome at this place, and will be making it my go-to indoor range as long as this awful heat keeps up. I will not be giving my money to cordova/gun room again.

WELL DONE Seth, I wish your business the best of luck.
Great to hear! I'll let Seth know.

I got to shoot my new P226 today and shared it with a few co-workers. I'm in LOVE.
Old 10-03-2012, 9:39 PM

Quote:

Hey Robb- great to meet ya and the friends and fam... Nice choppin it up with ya. How'd ya like the Vortex... I'm totally happy with it. Lookin forward to next time... Def great place!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Great to hear! I'll let Seth know.

I got to shoot my new P226 today and shared it with a few co-workers. I'm in LOVE.

Hey Dragon

Nice to meet ya and Seth the other day! Definitely comin back soon..probably this weekend (I'm "Honolulu Fire Dept") came in with my friend she shot the AR first time... Hope rings a bell... You guys as advertised by everyone.... Great bunch of folks, great service, can't wait to go back. Hope the new job goin good.... We were there tues night...

Teaching my friend in an environment that's safe and staff that's so willing to help was such a great help. She was comfortable and had fun. The ventilation really good and everything worked - hangers, track, etc. also pretty cool that you could see the sand kick up when the round impacted. This session was much better and more fun compared to the other place in Elk Grove. When leaving we had a really great conversation with Seth too! Like I said We can't wait to come back.... Just will have to watch the time so that we can have time to grab dinner too Lol

Have fun shooting the new Sig...

Last edited by doc66; 10-03-2012 at 10:12 PM..
Old 10-04-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc66 View Post
Hey Robb- great to meet ya and the friends and fam... Nice choppin it up with ya. How'd ya like the Vortex... I'm totally happy with it. Lookin forward to next time... Def great place!!!
I was honestly on the edge about the Vortex beforehand. I only have experience with an issued aimpoint. And was leaning toward a used aimpoint when I could get a good deal. At this point I am sold on the Vortex. Once I get the funds (will be a few weeks my phone just went to crap last night) I will let you know. It was my first time shooting a M&P 15 sport as well. I am really impressed, you have a great setup.

If it works out to where you can get it and we meet up at the range, I'll let you shoot my Stag 8 piston.

And yes, we got carried away too, and ran out of time for dinner as well lol
Old 10-07-2012, 3:58 PM

I missed meeting "Audacious Annie" at the Gun Range last night, but enjoyed shooting my 686's there last night.
586L-Frame
Old 10-08-2012, 5:19 PM

I just purchased my G17 from The Gun Range. It was such a smooth process thanks to the people down there.

Yesterday afternoon I went down there and they let me shoot my newly purchased Glock. I put 100 rounds through it and loved it. I also have been to the Gun Room and I always felt like the range master thought he was better than me...I didn't really like it.

More props to a nice local spot.
Old 10-08-2012, 5:26 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Went the other day with my wife. Great place, I will definitely be shooting a little more often.
Old 10-08-2012, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhands View Post
I just purchased my G17 from The Gun Range. It was such a smooth process thanks to the people down there.

Yesterday afternoon I went down there and they let me shoot my newly purchased Glock. I put 100 rounds through it and loved it. I also have been to the Gun Room and I always felt like the range master thought he was better than me...I didn't really like it.

More props to a nice local spot.
You don't need to be a range commando to be range master/RSO.
The staff at the range, try to treat people like they would like to be treated. We are all firearm enthusiasts. (Yes, sometimes you have to be "firm", but not w/ everyone.)

To all the folks that I've met, kept the range safe for, shot with and chewed the fat... I'm back to my regular job working in IT and I'm on-call now for the range due to the new job. I'll work with Seth and Garrett on a Calguns/Customer appreciation day in the near future.

Go in and ask "Where's Kenny?" LOLz
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I live right down the street-ish from the Gun Range and I have just started working with the Calguns C3 team (Calguns Community Coordinators) in the Sacramento area.

Are you currently working with anyone from Calguns for promotional items or any other type of coordination? Let me know what I can do to help!!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You don't need to be a range commando to be range master/RSO.
The staff at the range, try to treat people like they would like to be treated. We are all firearm enthusiasts. (Yes, sometimes you have to be "firm", but not w/ everyone.)

To all the folks that I've met, kept the range safe for, shot with and chewed the fat... I'm back to my regular job working in IT and I'm on-call now for the range due to the new job. I'll work with Seth and Garrett on a Calguns/Customer appreciation day in the near future.

Go in and ask "Where's Kenny?" LOLz
Keep us up to date on that Calguns/Customer appreciation day sounds interesting.

I will probably be at The Gun Range either Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon if anyone wants to join PM me and we can try to work something out.