Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 8:58 PM
Banned

Default My first AND LAST trip to Angeles Shooting Range!!!

I live in the South Bay, by Palos Verdes and before today, I was a regular at Burro Canyon. I have no complaints about Burro Canyon so far, except for some of the patrons (that shoot my target frame to pieces ) but that's not burro's fault. I figured since I had never been to Angeles before, it's about the same distance from my place and my shooting buddy (who lives in Pomona) was out of town, that go over and check it out instead of Burro.

I went into the shop, got my targets, bought a few boxes of ammo and grabbed my bench! I had my .30 Carbine, my Ruger M77 .308 and my Garand. I was considering bringing my BWK-92 but since the lady I talked to on the phone didn't know what an OLL was (even when I told her what the acronym stood for ) I didn't feel comfortable bringing it.

STRIKE ONE!!! (plus she was rude on the phone)

I sighted in my .30 Carbine (sporter) and my .308 and then shot at some steel with my Garand. I went back and bought some replacement targets and cover-ups after a while and after all said and told, I spent about $70 at their range today. IT'S THE LAST DOLLAR ANGELES SHOOTING RANGE WILL EVER SEE FROM ME!!!

Like I said, I'm about the same distance to either them, or Burro Canyon, so it's not like there's an advantage to going to one over the other. When I was all done shooting, I went to turn in my target, they asked for my receipt.

Apparently, they won't give you a refund for an undamaged target stand if you don't have your receipt. I didn't know that. As I've said, it was my first trip to Angeles. My target stand was undamaged, not one hole in the target stand and they REFUSED to give me a refund.

STRIKE TWO!!! (plus it was the same obnoxious, rude lady that was on the phone)

I started packing up and then realized that since they were charging me for the target stand, I should get to keep it. I figured since I was getting ripped off, I could at least use the stand at Burro. I went back in to grab it and they said that I would have to pay $2 more dollars and that they had already put it away, so I couldn't have it.

STRIKE THREE!!! THEY'RE DONE!!!

I go shooting, on average, at least once a month. I usually spend between $50 and $100 at the range when I go, so I'd say a "healthy median" would be $75 dollars per trip. Sometimes I shoot more frequently than once a month but let's just stick to the once a month, for argument's sake. Well, I hope they really enjoy that $4 that they stiffed my for because it's costing them $900 per year!!!

Great job mean, obnoxious lady! You just cost your range almost a grand!!!

See you guys at Burro!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:21 PM

Sorry to hear that usually they make it clear that you need to keep your receipt to get your money back, it sounds like it was a new person in training. I would give them another shot no pun intended.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:34 PM

ASR is 10000x's better than Burro. That being said, was it the really young chick (good looking, in her 20's) that helped you today? I was there today and she was kind of a *****. I tried to buy a few boxes of .22 at 5:45pm and she told me they weren't selling anymore bc they close at 6pm.

Don't let one bad experience stop you from going there. Most of the other clerks I've had were very helpful. They also usually make sure to tell you to keep the receipt (I think the purpose is to avoid people from going to home depot, making their own target stands and selling it to them for profit).
Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 PM

I've had no issues at Angeles. It gets crowded at times, and that's not really a complaint.

I have to say out of the out door ranges in the north end of LA, A place to shoot is my favorite. It's more out of the way, so it isn't quite as crowded most of the time.

Much more mellow out there.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay331 View Post
That being said, was it the really young chick (good looking, in her 20's) that helped you today? I was there today and she was kind of a *****.
She was there and she might have sold me my target but it was the old, b!tchy, "battle-axe" who denied me the $4. I explained to her that it was my first time but she wasn't hearing it...

Like I said...

The people in charge up there better enjoy that $4, because it's the last they'll ever see from me!!!

It's not like I'm a cheap skate, it's the idea that they would nickel and dime me over $4, after I had just handed them over $70. Then, to deny me the target stand that they just made me buy, that's insult to injury...

NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:57 PM

I'm sorry you didn't have a pleasant experience at ASR, but just to let you know, they are very OLL friendly there. I've personally shot over a dozen off-list rifles there, and seen many, many more shot there without a problem. Several of the range safety officers own and shoot OLL's as well. Sounds like you talked to the one person there who doesn't know OLL.

Stuff I've seen shot at ASR by non-LEO's: Uzi, FAL, PTR-91, AK, AR, HK USC, Saiga-12, M1919, M-2, etc. (All were semi-auto). No problems. Just an FYI.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:27 AM

I usually go to Burro as well and have been thinking about trying out Angeles. Out of curiousity, had they not treated you like that, would you have considered going there instead of Burro more often?
Old 10-06-2008, 6:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You need to think about something. Who cares if someoene doesn't know what a OLL is? That term was coined by the early calgunners and it is not a legal term. ASR is OK with any legal firearm you own (except NFA stuff) and maybe you should have asked about OLLs in a different way. Not everybody who works around firearms knows about OLLs and they don't have to. Instead of being so arrogant, you should have listened closely to the cashier's instructions when you first arrived. They alway tell me and everyone else to hold onto your reciept. I'm a little concerned that you felt you were above listening and/or knowing all the range rules and policies before you started shooting. Personally, I'd feel better knowing that you either stopped acting like an accident waiting to happen and started paying attention to all the rules and procedures at every range you shoot at. Did you actually read everything you signed? Did you read all the safety rules? Did you pay attention to everything all range employees told you? If you honestly answered "yes" to all these questions, you should have your $4 in your pocket.
Old 10-06-2008, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
You need to think about something. Who cares if someoene doesn't know what a OLL is? That term was coined by the early calgunners and it is not a legal term. ASR is OK with any legal firearm you own (except NFA stuff) and maybe you should have asked about OLLs in a different way. Not everybody who works around firearms knows about OLLs and they don't have to. Instead of being so arrogant, you should have listened closely to the cashier's instructions when you first arrived. .
This is spot on and well stated. As a Range Officer at Angeles I can tell you with certainty that Angeles is definitely OLL friendly, though some of the [ mostly female] office staff are definitely not familiar with the term.
But that all said I'd like to make an offer to the OP; if you decide to give Angeles another try on my shift days[ PM me] I'd be happy to make sure that your next experience is as perfect a shooting range experience as can be had. I will personally walk you through soup to nuts, I'll spot you a target frame for free, and all with whatever OLL rifle you want to bring.
Angeles is a great place to shoot, and I'm NOT saying this because I work there. Before I started as a Line Officer I was a member at Angeles for 12 years. I don't know of another place in So Cal/ San Fernando Valley offering a 600 yd rifle range.
Old 10-06-2008, 8:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
Out of curiousity, had they not treated you like that, would you have considered going there instead of Burro more often?
Definitely...

The range is quite a bit nicer than burro and has more amenities. Had they not treated me so poorly, I would go back...
Old 10-06-2008, 8:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hundo View Post
Definitely...

The range is quite a bit nicer than burro and has more amenities. Had they not treated me so poorly, I would go back...
Then take Electric Factory offer..
Old 10-06-2008, 8:52 AM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

"Then take Electric Factory offer.."
+1
Old 10-06-2008, 8:55 AM

nods take electric up on his offer i've never had a bad experience at angeles.. it could have been just a fluke day.
Old 10-06-2008, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm usually up there with a few calgunners every sunday and each time has been a pleasant experience. Dennis, Liz, Ed, Eric, Ocean and the rest of the Angeles crew have been really cool everytime I'm there.

Give em' another chance. They're much, much better than the public range at Burro.
Old 10-06-2008, 9:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Factory View Post
This is spot on and well stated. As a Range Officer at Angeles I can tell you with certainty that Angeles is definitely OLL friendly, though some of the [ mostly female] office staff are definitely not familiar with the term.
But that all said I'd like to make an offer to the OP; if you decide to give Angeles another try on my shift days[ PM me] I'd be happy to make sure that your next experience is as perfect a shooting range experience as can be had. I will personally walk you through soup to nuts, I'll spot you a target frame for free, and all with whatever OLL rifle you want to bring.
Angeles is a great place to shoot, and I'm NOT saying this because I work there. Before I started as a Line Officer I was a member at Angeles for 12 years. I don't know of another place in So Cal/ San Fernando Valley offering a 600 yd rifle range.
That is a generous offer and I appreciate it! I would settle for a simple apology from the lady at the counter but I'm not going to get "wrapped around the axle" over that...

It might be a few weeks before I'm up there again. I've gotta deal with this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=124717

...but after I get that sorted out, I'll send you a PM.

Thanks again...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 AM

5hundo,

Just curious - what did you do with the receipt between the time it was issued to you, and the time you left?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I don't know of another place in So Cal/ San Fernando Valley offering a 600 yd rifle range.
Not San Fernando Valley.... but if we are talking about SO CAL.... Pala range is all the way out to almost 900 yds. (www.ncsapala.com)

It's not in your 'hood tho....

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Sauer View Post
5hundo,

Just curious - what did you do with the receipt between the time it was issued to you, and the time you left?
I have no idea...

After I found out that I had to have it, I checked all my pockets, all of my gun cases, all of my ammo boxes. I Looked all through my truck, asked the line officers if they had seen it and/or picked it up. My best guess is that I set it down on the bench while I was setting up and it blew away...

Had they told me that I needed to keep it, I would have put it in my wallet or something but, like I said, it was my first time there so I didn't know...
Old 10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Sucks you had a crappy 1st experience. I too have lost my receipt before. Target simply came home with me and now goes to other ranges! I feel bad because I recommended ASR to you via PM.

A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned.

-Shepard Booke R.I.P.
Old 10-06-2008, 1:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
Sucks you had a crappy 1st experience. I too have lost my receipt before. Target simply came home with me and now goes to other ranges! I feel bad because I recommended ASR to you via PM.
It's not your fault at all...

Had it been explained to me, it would not have been an issue but how was I supposed to know?

As you said, I should have just kept the target but she even told me that I couldn't do that! That lady was about as rude as you can get!
Old 10-06-2008, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

You could have call the cops on them.

They TOOK your item, you paid for them, and they put it away and refused to give it back to you (altho, you don't have a recipt to proof that...). They officially "stole" your item in front of you.

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 10-06-2008, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I think Angeles could be a great range but my 3 experiences were not pleasant. The most recent one was simply a shopping trip. I first went to the reloading store. The guy who works there took 30 seconds to tell me that they didn't have what I was looking for, turned his back and disapeared back into his office. Walked up to the main office looking for percussion caps. The young girl was being chatted up by one of the young guys who works there. I could barely convince her to take my money and she was as about as impersonal and dismissive as someone can be. A middle aged guy who worked there stood there watching it all, he could've cared less too. third strike and out for me also.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 10-06-2008, 1:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post
You could have call the cops on them.

They TOOK your item, you paid for them, and they put it away and refused to give it back to you (altho, you don't have a recipt to proof that...). They officially "stole" your item in front of you.
IMHO, it was pretty uncalled for...

If I didn't think the cops had much better things to do than get my $4 back, I might have considered that...

Any cops out there? How would you feel about answering that detail?
Old 10-06-2008, 1:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I just go there for the vending machines in the back. Then I like to pick up the quarter like slugs off the dirt when they let me walk on range, I throw them on the ground and watch the dust rise. I also enjoy driving into the driveway, then backing up being careful not to hit the tables or the curb.
Old 10-06-2008, 1:52 PM

Quote:
As you said, I should have just kept the target but she even told me that I couldn't do that! That lady was about as rude as you can get!
I could forgive a couple of employees having a bad day and I'd understand the receipt thing (I'd be upset, but I'd understand). Wanting to charge you extra to pick up something you already paid for? That is really ridiculous. That can't be their official policy can it? Maybe the lady was upset you argued with her?
Old 10-06-2008, 3:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I also enjoy driving into the driveway,
I wish I'd have known that you could do that when I first got there. I carried my stuff up there from the parking lot...
Old 10-06-2008, 4:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
STRIKE THREE!!! THEY'RE DONE!!!
No worries.
There are more than enough people already going there to worry about a soft skinned newbie...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-06-2008, 5:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
No worries.
There are more than enough people already going there to worry about a soft skinned newbie...

Keep shooting at Burro, sounds like it's more your style. Say 'hi' to the gangsters throwing clays in the air and shooting at them with AK's.
Old 10-06-2008, 5:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
No worries.
Whatever, tough guy...
Old 10-06-2008, 5:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Where's the 'crying smilie'?
Old 10-06-2008, 5:52 PM

I could look past a bad first impression, but both times I've been there, they seem to have problems with first (and second) time customers. They have plenty of paying customers, so they don't see the need to treat new customers with any respect. The people at the counter get annoyed when they have to help you, (because you interrupted their chatting with fellow range employees) their attitude similar to "if we didn't have these pesky customers, we'd get a lot more work done". Then there's the ROs hovering around you and checking in your bag when your back is turned.
Old 10-06-2008, 6:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I commend you on this offer also but it's a shame the OP didn't get this type of treatment in the first place. Customer service is king and to risk losing a customer over a $4 target frame is idiotic. Heck, a piece of PVC and the fittings to make it are going to cost that much! I would think the range would love to buy target frames for $4 a pop without having to do any labor.

www.riflegear.com
Old 10-06-2008, 7:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I really like Angeles for the most part. Helps that they're under 5 min away from me.

That said, I had a similar incident with the cute young thing at the register a couple months ago. While paying for my admission and a target stand, she didn't ring up everything correctly. When I pointed out she hadn't charged me for the stand, she took the extra money and wrote the $4 on the till receipt by hand but didn't give me an extra printed receipt for the target stand (nor did she write anything on my copy before giving it to me). Unfortunately for me, I didn't catch her second mistake. So when I tried to return the stand, same scenario. No refund. No amount of talking with the sweet young thing would convince her she never gave me a corrected receipt. Even though I've been a member for several years, I was a bit frustrated by the exchange. She's cute, but dumb as a post. I just have to remember to watch her in the future!

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 10-06-2008, 7:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman View Post
Where's the 'crying smilie'?
For starters, 3 other members have issued similar complaints, so maybe it's not just an isolated event. Perhaps they do have a customer service issue and I'm not just whining...

Troll much?
Old 10-06-2008, 7:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
For starters, 3 other members have issued similar complaints, so maybe it's not just an isolated event. Perhaps they do have a customer service issue and I'm not just whining...

Troll much?
3 out of thousands, sounds like a majority to me.
Old 10-06-2008, 9:05 PM

Quote:

Troll much?
I will agree with you that the cashiers are not the best in the world, but you find that everywhere where sales is not a factor. They are just there for a paycheck and don't want to be bothered.

Other then that I love Angeles, I go every single weekend with a group of calgunners (Black Majik and Beetle Bailey and a few others who haven't appeared in the thread yet) and always have a great time shooting the crap with the RO's and manager there.

Take up Electric Factorys offer and give them another try I'm pretty sure it'll be more then pleasant.

www.addaxtactical.com
Old 10-06-2008, 9:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I love how an employee completely ruined his experience.
It was more important to him how someone dealt with him, than what he actually paid for.
Angeles has awesome facilities.
That's what you pay for.
Everytime I pay my range fees and pickup a target stand, they remind you to keep your reciept.
If you were half-awake, you would have heard them telling the people in front of you in line too.

I understand that you like burro better so why even bother to start this thread?
Is it to justify your feelings about angeles customer service?
You pay the range fees to use the range, not to make chit-chat with the help.
Pretty simple...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:41 AM
In Memoriam

The counter people have always been courteous, respectful, helpful and quick service. I haven't had a bad trip there.

Enjoy Burro

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I love ASR and the staff - even the old curmudgeon...

Stick around and gain some clout. When you can shoot slugs on the pistol line and just get eye daggers and no words from her, you'll know you're good.

Seriously, though... The staff at ASR is nothing but great, if you treat them well and don't act like an *** - but then that pretty much goes for anyone anywhere. I have to say they're like family.

It's $4. Really. $4. That's a 1/2 box of .223.

now I wanna know who EF is

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 10-07-2008, 1:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
I love ASR and the staff - even the old curmudgeon...

Stick around and gain some clout. When you can shoot slugs on the pistol line and just get eye daggers and no words from her, you'll know you're good.

Seriously, though... The staff at ASR is nothing but great, if you treat them well and don't act like an *** - but then that pretty much goes for anyone anywhere. I have to say they're like family.

It's $4. Really. $4. That's a 1/2 box of .223.

now I wanna know who EF is
OLD CURMUDGEON

ASR is a good range with safety conscious ROs(as they should be). I like going on the weekdays as it's alot less hectic and not so crowded(safer ) If you go on the weekends though don't be surprised if the ROs and cashier is a little bit more stressed out cuz they gotta deal with tons of customers and some of them don't know their safety and range rules. BTW, best deal is go on thursday and shoot all day for 6 bucks.
Closed Thread