Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-14-2018, 7:56 PM

Default Built 80% lowers

Let's say before July 1, 2018 I buy an 80% lower and I, through my own hand, make it a "firearm." A ghost gun dealer said I do not have to apply to the Dept of Justice for a serial number. This seems to be what the law says. Put aside for a moment the question of engraving a number on the lower.

It seems to me that if I have a full AR 15, the government and LE won't ask me for my receipt and let me off the hook should they ever find it in my vehicle. I believe they will say "You have an unregistered weapon and you are under arrest." Returning to the engraved serial number question, they will check out the number in the system and say the same thing.

Am I correct with what I wrote? If not, why not?
Old 06-14-2018, 8:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can build a CA compliant firearm and Volreg before 7/1/18 and it will be registered with your own serial number, and be legal. Create an account at the link below, go to the CRIS section and use the "Firearm Ownership Report" option.

https://cfars.doj.ca.gov
Old 06-14-2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater1 View Post
Let's say before July 1, 2018 I buy an 80% lower and I, through my own hand, make it a "firearm." A ghost gun dealer said I do not have to apply to the Dept of Justice for a serial number. This seems to be what the law says. Put aside for a moment the question of engraving a number on the lower.

It seems to me that if I have a full AR 15, the government and LE won't ask me for my receipt and let me off the hook should they ever find it in my vehicle. I believe they will say "You have an unregistered weapon and you are under arrest." Returning to the engraved serial number question, they will check out the number in the system and say the same thing.

Am I correct with what I wrote? If not, why not?
SEE post #2:

IF you engrave the required info on the receiver and it is entered into the central registry prior to 7/1/2018 you are legal, if it is not entered into the central registry prior ti 7/1/2018 (as I understand it) regardless of what you have engraved on the lower, you are required to apply for a S/N from DOJ, and upon receiving said S/N you then have 10 days to engrave that S/N on the lower and submitting proof thereof back to DOJ.
Old 06-24-2018, 4:38 PM

Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Here's my analogy that anybody on calguns can understand:
Hunters = law abiding gun owners
Poachers = school shooters
See how big the difference is?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 AM

I am hearing that if you completed an 80% lower prior to July 1st, 2018 and you engraved a serial number. Then you have until the end of the year to register it, not needed by July 1st. Could be wrong but heard an NRA lawyer discussion on it.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^ Wrong if you engaraved it prior to 6/31/2018 and applied for volreg then you are fine if not then you must apply for cadoj issued serial number and engrave that on your lower then volreg. If you did as above then engrave it again. Engravers must be spreading this wait FUD. (LOL)