Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-03-2013, 7:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Attention Chicken Lovers...

I do not care for chicken unless it is fried or pork unless it is bacon.

I DO care for beef and I can eat it all the time. I love a nice slab of london broil with my CBT rub and cooked medium.

Mix up some avocado butter and serve with a few pieces of lettuce (cause who we fooling here?) and I will enjoy the meal.

SO when I say that I found a chicken recipe, but really a method, ANYONE who has never tried to poach chicken should PAY ATTENTION and try this at least ONCE.

The KEY to poaching chicken for those that do not know is to have ultra smelly water. you want it VERY AROMATIC- POT POURI like. When I poach my chicken the whole house smells like pepper and well, chicken...

SO, with that said, here is a very SIMPLE way to make some killer JUICY and TASTY chicken...

Get a 5 or more qt stock pot.

In it put 1/3 of it with chicken stock and fire it up to boil. DO NOT USE WATER. Water will water down the flavor literally. (Get the swanson 1 qt of chicken broth or stock for $2.00 - use a couple of them or stock up on a lot of the little cans if they are on sale. I make this for about 10 lbs of chicken at a time, then eat it for about a week or two. so if you are only doing a dinner and only a few lbs of chicken, then you do not need a lot of stock or ingredients.)

Then start adding things
I added:
Cayenne Pepper (about 1/5 cup)
Kosher Sea Salt (about 1/5 cup)
7 Indian Bay Leaves
COARSE GROUND Black Pepper several tablespoons
About 1/4 cup Ground Cumin
2 14oz cans of Chicken Stock (very important to not use water)
Chicken Boullion (I have the Smart & Final kind that stays in the fridge and is a yellowish dry paste)
Lime juice
Orange juice
Apple Juice
Red Wine Vinegar
ANYTHING AROMATIC, ONIONS, GARLIC, CELERY, PARSELY, BASIL, YOU NAME IT- 7 different kinds of pepper! CAYENNE, WHITE, BLACK, ALEPPO, ANCHO, SECHUAN, CHILE POWDER TOO! Your broth should be tangy spicy when it is all mixed up.
REAL ingredients seem to be cheaper and work better. I noticed more flavor after cutting up an onion, some jalapenos and cilantro as well as an anaheim chile taht I blistered on the stove along with the jalapenos. You are not gonna eat the ingredients, they are just there to add flavor to the water. Toss in an old shoe if it is flavorful.

THROW IT ALL IN and let that liquid come to a boil.

Then get some Chicken pieces- like boneless breasts or boneless legs/thighs and take note, If you get the Randal Farms boneless/skinless chicken breasts then cut them up long ways into quarters or fifths because they WILL plump up and be large once they are in the liquid.

Get your pieces ready and make the liquid boil for a few minutes, then turn it off and start dropping in your chicken.

Fill it up if you want, the liquid is good for several batches of chicken.

Next Leave it alone and put a lid on it and just let it sit for about 20 minutes or so with a lid over it preferably. Longer if you did not cut your chicken up. After that 20 minutes you can return and pull it out, put a piece on a plate and cut it down the middle to check that it is done. If it is then you can go ahead and eat it. I warn you, this is very addicting. I have gone through about 20lbs of chicken in the past two months. It is fun to play kitchen chemist and see what works and what does not work.

ON CE you let your chicken drop in the water, DO NOT TURN IT ON AGAIN. LEAVE THE HEAT OFF. For this reason it is BEST to use chicken that has been removed from the fridge an hour or two prior to dropping in the pot. The chicken should be almost room temp, it should NOT be cold or frozen. If it is too cold and it chills the water down then you have to put the heat on to simmer it and depending on how hot the water gets you could toughen your chicken a little.
FOR THE BEST OUTCOME MAKE SURE TO LEAVE THE HEAT OFF ONCE YOU DROP IN THE CHICKEN.
WARNING: DO NOT LET YOUR CHICKEN BOIL. If you boil it the chicken will get tough and dry out because the proteins in the meat will squeeze out the juices and shrivel up under the intense heat. Read about it here:
http://www.chefdarin.com/2011/04/why...hicken-is-bad/
FWIW I put the lid on and put this to simmer, but it ended up boiling after I took the photos and I was on calguns typing a post or two or twenty. When I went to the kitchen I saw it was boiling when it should not have been. I lost track of time and well, now I have about 9lbs of dry chicken breasts. I am gonna see if they can be fixed, but prolly not. SO DON'T LET IT BOIL EVER!

BTW, This started out as me trying to duplicate the Alberto's Chicken Recipe - yes, the Alberto's Mexican Fast Food place...

Enjoy...

BTW, the chicken must be submerged in order to get poached. I have inserted a skimmer and raised it so you can view it in this pic. Also, my bay leaves are on the bottom of the pot under the chicken (just happened but means nothing). AND, when you take your chicken out and store it in the fridge, you SHOULD take out some of this poaching liquid and store it with it. It just seems to keep it VERY moist.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

Last edited by stilly; 11-15-2013 at 4:19 PM..
Old 11-04-2013, 3:30 AM
Veteran Member

Talking Filipino adobo.

Many filipinos make their adobo differently, some like it more sour others like it sweeter. I've converted a many to love my adobo. PS this is not that mexican adobo seasoning crap.

- 1/2 onion
- meat of your choice. (literally, I've made this out of bat one time. I prefer pork ribs)
- 2 parts water
- 1/2 part soy sauce
- 1/4 part vinegar
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp whole black peppercorn
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 5-6 bayleaves
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Accent (MSG....just use salt if you're not down with MSG)

sweat onions until translucent in a large pot, add water/soy sauce/vinegar. start with 2cups/half cup/quarter cup. add meat. increase proportions of liquid until the meat is covered.

add all dry ingredients. bring to boil and simmer low for 2-4 hours. check at regular intervals and replenish liquid levels with water.

Last edited by Germz; 11-04-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Old 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What kinda bat did you use? Was there more meat on the breast?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
What kinda bat did you use? Was there more meat on the breast?
its was with 3 fruit bats and it tastes like generic beef. too many bones if anything.
Old 11-04-2013, 4:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ahhh, but those guys are cute...

Wasn't there any goats or otters or squirrels around instead?

Old 11-04-2013, 4:49 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

recipes [w/o bat, thank you] sound really good!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 11-04-2013, 4:56 PM

Not a lady, but have to share my wife and daughter's favorite:

2 lbs Flank Steak (run through the tenderizer once)
12 oz WishBone Italian Dressing
6 oz Soy Sauce

1. Pour dressing and soy sauce into baking dish, add meat and allow to marinate for a few hours.
2. Grill until done.
3. Serve with rice.

Enjoy!
Steve
Old 11-06-2013, 4:32 PM
Banned

Thanks for the poached chicken recipe Stilly. I'll try that tomorrow.

Just like you, I want beef on my plate. Bloodier the better... and I dont care for chicken. Been trying to eat more chicken for a healthier diet, and cant get the chicken to get any flavor no matter what I do......

So this sounds like something to try.

Any benefit of trying to flavor the chicken in a rub or marinade beforehand?

Like I said- not big on chicken, and hate tasteless chicken....

Last edited by postal; 11-06-2013 at 5:22 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 4:51 PM
Banned

Default Easy Tzaziki sauce (cucumber sauce for gyros)

My favorite lately.....

I use tri tip for most of my beef/steak. Get them on sale at Stator Bros cheap and slice them thin for steak tacos or gyros- pack into dinner for 2 servings with marinade and freeze- same with thick slabs for grilled steaks..

Find a local middle eastern market for pitas or flatbread. It's way cheaper and better than the regular grocery stores. I think I pay about $0.80 for a pack of 6 compared to $3.00+ for stale ones at the regular stores.....

Most Tzaziki sauce calls for greek yogurt which I think is bitter.

I prefer using regular sour cream. I think it tastes a lot better. You can use either.... but as I said, greek yogurt is bitter in comparison, and the sour cream version rocks!

Simple to make but you need to let it sit for an hour or two to drain water so it's nice and thick.

1-2 cups sour cream (however much sauce you want to make)
1 large peeled/seeded cucumber
2+tea garlic powder
1+ teaspoon dill weed
1+ tea sugar
squirt of lemon
pinch of salt/pepper (mineral salt is perfect for this)

( the 1+ teaspoon... for 1 ish cup sour cream, 1 tea- if 2 cups, use 2 tea)

Peel the cucumber, split in half length wise- use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Finely shred the cucumber over a paper towel. when finished, fold up the towel, and squeeze all the water out of it you can. You'll be surprised how much water comes out.

Mix the shredded cucumber, dill/sugar/salt/pepper/garlic into the sour cream.

Put a coffee filter in a strainer, put the strainer into a large bowl. Put the sour cream in the coffee filter. place in the fridge for minimum 1 hour. 2 is better.

After 1-2 hours, a lot of water will have drained out of the sour cream. As strange as it looks, the sour cream is now so thick, it wont stick to the coffee filter. Just get a new bowl, or pour the water out of the existing bowl, and dump the sour cream mix from the coffee filter into the bowl and stir it up again.

Add the lemon juice and stir, and serve. Or put in the fridge for later use. It is usually served cold.

It's not quite a traditional recipe... but tastes really good, and accomplishes several longer steps all at once.

(some recipes call for salting the cucumber to release water, some call for straining the sour cream/yogurt before mixing THEN say mix the dill and cucumber and sit for 2+ hours to let the flavors 'blend'.... etc)

This is the shortcut that does all the necessary things without adding too much salt (which I hate) and do it in the shortest time.

Grill up some thin sliced tri tip or beef of your choice (or lamb- or chicken if you're a freak), and serve on warmed pitas or flatbread with lettuce, onion, tomato and a thick spooning of the tzasiki cucumber sauce.

This is also a decent healthy veggie dip, but you might want to add more salt for that...

Last edited by postal; 11-06-2013 at 5:24 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 4:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhorse2010 View Post
Not a lady, but have to share my wife and daughter's favorite:

2 lbs Flank Steak (run through the tenderizer once)
12 oz WishBone Italian Dressing
6 oz Soy Sauce

1. Pour dressing and soy sauce into baking dish, add meat and allow to marinate for a few hours.
2. Grill until done.
3. Serve with rice.

Enjoy!
Steve
Sounds interesting and easy..... but I really dont like the taste of vinegar. If cooking rare/medium rare, does the vinegar from the dressing burn off?
Old 11-07-2013, 8:14 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHuey View Post
How about yellowtail?
Water.

To the.

Plate.

Get in my belllly!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
Thanks for the poached chicken recipe Stilly. I'll try that tomorrow.

Just like you, I want beef on my plate. Bloodier the better... and I dont care for chicken. Been trying to eat more chicken for a healthier diet, and cant get the chicken to get any flavor no matter what I do......

So this sounds like something to try.

Any benefit of trying to flavor the chicken in a rub or marinade beforehand?

Like I said- not big on chicken, and hate tasteless chicken....
STINK that liquid up! Instead of using water grab a couple quarts of that chicken stock. Make certain to toss in some peppers- LOTS of pepper, Cayenne, black, white, the more the merrier. Also make certain to use salt, salt gets in the muscle fibers and opens them to absorb liquid and they will plump up.

I do not know of any rubs that are good for chicken except maybe pollo asada that I see in the supermarket shelves- from Chef Merrito of whatever his name it, it will have a yellow cap and be sold near the meet counters usually.

But yeah, the more aromatic the poaching liquid is the tastier it will be.

I just did 8.x lbs of chicken on the stove and I used 6 14oz cans or so of hy-top and swanson brand chicken broth as the base. I added about 1/3C of lime juice, 1/2C orange juice, about 3 tablespoons of the yellow chicken bullion dry paste, smoked spanish paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder, 5 bay leaves, garlic powder, thyme, parsley, corriander seeds, ancho chili powder and let it come to a boil, then I turned it off, dropped in the chicken and turned on the heat again since the chicken came from the fridge and cooled down the liquid so much. Now it was brought back up to ALMOST boiling then shut off. I will post later on how it looks, but I am surprised that you REALLY do not need that much liquid as long as it covers your meat and it will lay flat and stay under the surface. - GOOD stuff... I can smell it all the way across the house. After sitting for about 45 minutes (original recipe only needed about 15-20 minutes). I just had a piece and DAMN. Not a lot of up front flavor, (I am always afraid of making it too salty or peppery) but there is a little bite on the end and it DOES taste good, just not as flavorful as I was hoping, so maybe double down on the ingredients OR perforate the chicken with one of those tenderizers. It IS juicy though...

OMFG! I just tried a piece of the boneless thigh/leg meat and all I gotta say is (as I roll my eyes up into my head) DAMN... I think my knees about buckled. Glad I was leaning on the counter. The thigh/leg boneless/skinless pieces that I got on sale REALLY suck up the flavor. I can feel a bit more heat too but this chicken is so damn good now that when the piece I was biting on fell into the sink, I picked it up and continued to eat it. It is THAT good. I just wish I knew how to bring more front end flavor to it. Maybe adding some ginger or cloves might help. - OH, so will more cumin. Too much cumin (1 CUP?) though and it will start to get a more Indian flavor (Dot Indian; not Feather Indian). OMFG I am gonna go get more. Now I have eaten three pieces. I might very well prove that you can get fat eating only chicken alone. No seriously, I might not go back to beef for another few months now... And I am glad that I documented this here. If I die from too much chicken there will be a well documented note of details on calguns... When I get my recipe down I will make note of the ingredients and make a PDF and clean this all up. Nobody wants to read the notes of a madman...

OH and if you want BULK ingredients? Then stop in at WINCO and in the corner of the store they have a BULK ingredients/Spices section. It is VERY good for some cheap spices like cumin and pepper and stuff that you might burn through. OMG I gotta go eat some more...
Enjoy.

Last edited by stilly; 11-07-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Old 11-07-2013, 4:32 PM
Banned

HAHAHHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great write up Stilly! You rock!

I do the bulk of my shopping at winco and stators. Cant beat the bulk spice section!!!!!!

Gonna try it tonight with some frozen (now thawed) chicken breast I had- I think I'll slice them in half so not too big, and stab them with a fork to let more flavor in.

==========

Got the mix together....

a little montreal seasoning,

Premixed by me spices-
Asada mix
schawarma mix
pizza topping green herbs

Lots of black pepper, some "rainbow" fresh ground pepper
cayenne
crushed red pepper
one new mexico dried chili
celery
coriander
onion
spicy brown mustard
dash of soy
mineral salt
4 bay leaves
lemon, lime and orange

.....and.... since I want it to taste like something....

BEEF BROTH for the win!!!!!!

Gonna let that boil and simmer a while since the NM chili was dry. I eat late too since the GF has an odd schedule.

--edit-- it's starting to heat up... you're right! SPICY POTPOURI!!!

Last edited by postal; 11-07-2013 at 5:05 PM..
Old 11-07-2013, 4:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good. I am about ready to puke from all the chicken I had earlier on today.

I always forget to stab the chicken multiple times. I got the really cool stabber too, it has like blades that come out, like some type of hand weapon you would see in Phantasm where when you hit the meet the guard retracts and the two rows of blades pop out and pierce it about 24 times...

Well, Phantasm or Hellraiser.

I think it is good to be heavy on the Cumin above the rest of the dry ingredients and right now Trader Joes has 32oz chicken broth for 1.99 as well as Target, well, I dunno if Target is 32oz, I THINK they are, but I think it might be swanson or pantry shelf. Broth is broth for things like this. Maybe it might be good to let the water sit with the ingredients a bit longer. Initially the recipe started with just letting the ingredients simmer for 10 minutes, then let it boil for a minute, then shut off and drop in 2 chicken breasts (bahahahahahahaha- yeah right) and let it sit with the flame off for 15 minutes. - Oh and that WAS a very moist and good bird. Anyways K, I am done for now. Enjoy the chicken.
OH, here is a photo of what that small amount of broth did, it turned out being like 8.4 lbs of chicken I believe...

Keep in mind I have eaten about 8 pieces and my g/f 3 pieces with warnings that I better leave her some...

Last edited by stilly; 11-07-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Old 11-07-2013, 5:28 PM
Banned

Easy home made french onion soup for 2 (double for 4) That doesnt taste like it was made with sea water like restaurant french onion soup!!!

Start out by saying I dont like salt.

I buy low sodium/no salt products anytime I can.

I love french onion soup, but most restaurants, it tastes like they made it with sea water..... There's THAT much salt in it.

French onion soup is easy...

For 2-
Ingredients.
1 small can **Swansons LOW SODIUM beef broth**
1 large onion (I prefer white)
1/4-1/3 stick of butter
2 slices swiss cheese
2 slices of french bread (or any white bread really)
1 teaspoon sugar
1+ teaspoon garlic (I use more like a table spoon)
1+ teaspoon pepper (same- a table spoon)
2 teaspoon worshtershire
salt or soy sauce to taste.

onion.
Slice it in half, and slice as thin as you can.

1/4-1/3 stick UNSALTED (yeah I dont like salt!) butter.
Melt butter with onions in pot
Cook them down stirring occasionally. You want them to get some browning on them- takes near 20 minutes.

If using fresh or minced garlic, you can add it and brown slightly before adding broth.

Add 1 can Swansons *low sodium* beef broth. (it's the only way I can have french onion soup is the low sodium, or I'd have to make my own broth.)

Add half-2/3 can water.
Add:
sugar
Garlic
pepper
2 teaspoons worshtercher. (important!)

Bring to boil and let simmer 15 minutes. It can simmer for a long time if the rest of your dinner isnt ready yet.

The soup is done except the bread/cheese done just prior to serving.

You can toast the bread, drop in bowl with soup, add cheese then broil. (traditional)

Or, toast bread lightly, add cheese toast again to melt cheese and drop it in bowl.

Or, I'm not big on the bread.... I just drop swiss cheese in the bowl with the soup and it melts nicely in a couple minutes.

This version actually needs a little salt. I either use about a teaspoon of soy sauce for the salt, or add a little mineral salt.
Old 11-07-2013, 5:30 PM
Banned

LOL Stilly!!!!!

You crack me up man...... The asada and I forgot, the schawarma might have cumin in it...

I have straight cumen sitting on the shelf.... Guess I'll add more.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

:O

I am thinking that MAYBE it would be better to grind up EVERYTHING including bay leaves (hey more fiber...) and dump it in the put next time. As well as stab the heck outa of the chicken, but my feedback was that I did not need to make it any more flavorable since it had plenty of flavor in it already. :\ Yeah whatever amateur...

Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

Mine didnt turn out well for a first try. I think I over cooked the chicken, or it was probably salt injected chicken which makes it tough, and blocks flavor.

Also, I had an 'accident' with the pizza herb blend and dumped about 3 tablespoons in....

I'll have to try again with fresh thighs or leg quarters.
Old 11-08-2013, 1:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Mine didnt turn out well for a first try. I think I over cooked the chicken, or it was probably salt injected chicken which makes it tough, and blocks flavor.

Also, I had an 'accident' with the pizza herb blend and dumped about 3 tablespoons in....

I'll have to try again with fresh thighs or leg quarters.
IIRC, you only need enough heat to keep the water simmering, but the orignal story was that you drop in TWO breasts and allow the hot water to cook them while being removed from the heat, so like, let the water boil, then take the pot off the stove, drop in the chicken and let it sit for abotu 15-25 minutes.

As for me, I turned off the heat, dropped in 8.4lbs of chicken and then turned the heat back on to bring the water temp back up to a cooking temp. After about 5-8 minutes I saw it was getting warm enough to churn the water under the seasonings so I turned it off and just let it sit. That should have been all that was needed. I always use either randal farms or foster farms or whatever the store has, but I use boness/skinless thigh portions for a VERY good end flavor, and the breasts I will fillet in 3-4 pieces.

Old 11-08-2013, 3:25 PM
Banned

It cooled when the chicken went in, and turned the heat up til the spices started churning like you're talking about, stopping before it starts to simmer, and kept doing that for 40 minutes.... OOOOPS!
Old 11-09-2013, 8:20 AM

Camp Chicken
1 - whole chicken
1 - large sweet onion
1 - head garlic
2-3 large potatoes
3-4 carrots
1-2 large handful mushroom, cut in halves - optional
sage
thyme
rosemary
1 - bottle Porter or Stout

Clean chicken. Set aside gizzard/liver/neck.

Slice onion, carrot, and potato in thick slices. Clean/shell the garlic, and chop in large pieces.

If sage leaves are available, place a few under the skin of chicken(we keep herb garden). Place sage leaves, thyme sprigs, and rosemary sprigs in cavity of chicken(Easiest to tie a bundle of the herbs).

Place chicken in Camp Dutch Oven. Place onion, potato, carrot, garlic, mushroom around chicken. Season to taste with cracked pepper, salt, rosemary/thyme/sage as desired. Pour beer/porter/stout over chicken.

Put lid on Dutch oven. For a 12" dutch Oven, use 8-10 briquette on bottom, 14-16 on top(for 12" Dutch oven, that should be equivalent of 350 degree oven). Cook time 60-90 minutes. Rotate Dutch oven on coals every 15 minutes. Rotate lid opposite direction(eliminates hots spots from coals)

Could also cook this in crock in kitchen oven, 350 degrees for 60-90 minutes(till chicken cooked thru/done).

Can also use campfire coals if adventurous; just harder to control temperature.

Note - after finished, we use the carcass, and gizzard/neck etc to make homemade chicken stock...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ready to eat.JPG (72.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It cooled when the chicken went in, and turned the heat up til the spices started churning like you're talking about, stopping before it starts to simmer, and kept doing that for 40 minutes.... OOOOPS!
Yeah you are dancing on the edge by doing that, once it starts to churn (without breaking the surface) then remove it from the heat and let the water cook it. I already been there done that the first time. I think once you bring the water temp back up and then let it sit the chicken will no longer be cold and will start to cook right. As long as you butterfly or fillet your breasts they will cook right through, but if you have real thick pieces, then pull the biggest one out after 20 minutes and have a look, cut it in half and see if it is cooked; once you get a feel you will be able to drop it in, and know that you can turn the heat up, then turn it off and let it sit for 20+ minutes and it will only keep it warm and moist. Good stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE228 View Post
Camp Chicken
1 - whole chicken
1 - large sweet onion
1 - head garlic
2-3 large potatoes
3-4 carrots
1-2 large handful mushroom, cut in halves - optional
sage
thyme
rosemary
1 - bottle Porter or Stout

Clean chicken. Set aside gizzard/liver/neck.

Slice onion, carrot, and potato in thick slices. Clean/shell the garlic, and chop in large pieces.

If sage leaves are available, place a few under the skin of chicken(we keep herb garden). Place sage leaves, thyme sprigs, and rosemary sprigs in cavity of chicken(Easiest to tie a bundle of the herbs).

Place chicken in Camp Dutch Oven. Place onion, potato, carrot, garlic, mushroom around chicken. Season to taste with cracked pepper, salt, rosemary/thyme/sage as desired. Pour beer/porter/stout over chicken.

Put lid on Dutch oven. For a 12" dutch Oven, use 8-10 briquette on bottom, 14-16 on top(for 12" Dutch oven, that should be equivalent of 350 degree oven). Cook time 60-90 minutes. Rotate Dutch oven on coals every 15 minutes. Rotate lid opposite direction(eliminates hots spots from coals)

Could also cook this in crock in kitchen oven, 350 degrees for 60-90 minutes(till chicken cooked thru/done).

Can also use campfire coals if adventurous; just harder to control temperature.

Note - after finished, we use the carcass, and gizzard/neck etc to make homemade chicken stock...
mmmmm food porn picz are HOT. Get me all buttery and peppery and stuff...

Last edited by stilly; 11-09-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Old 11-12-2013, 6:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hey my sister game my g/f some recipe and some bag of "STARTER" bread dough the other day.

HAS anyone else been exposed to this? I swear it is the NEXT evolution of the chain letter. It involves mashing it up for several days, then mixing the ingredients THEN dividing the dough up into 4 bags, THEN giving three of those bags away or keeping them all to mash up each day, and with the fourth bag, you actually dump it into a pan and make a loaf of Amish Bread or whatever it is called. I am rather irritated that you are required to mix it all up then seperate the ingredients though and give someone else the dough along with a copy of the printed recipe. WTH? However I will say this, the bread, when finally cooked in a non metallic pan, turns out a LOT like a good moist cinnamon strudel coffee cake. Good stuff. Nobody has come across that yet? We have some in our kitchen. both a starter bag and the printed recipe... Time to stop mashing and stark baking. OR you could keep all the bags yourself but you would find yourself baking 4 loaves after the time is up, and THEN you would have 16 bags to seperate into and give away...

Old 11-12-2013, 6:32 PM

had not heard of it...sounds yummy!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 11-12-2013, 6:39 PM

it is called friendship bread and making the dough is a 10 day process
Old 11-13-2013, 9:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickshooter View Post
it is called friendship bread and making the dough is a 10 day process
Yeah, THAT sounds ridiculously stupidly FACEBOOKY enough to be it. I DO recall hearing the 10 days mentioned somewhere.

It really does sound like someone on facebook had too much time on their hands and decided to pull a chain letter OFF the screen and make it a sad reality for all of their "friends" and I swear that if this thing DID start with facebook then I just might have to go shoot someone... But first bake that first loaf and eat it so that I can have a plausible defense (sugar high) in court (because DAMN that is some pretty good tasting bread) because there will be NOTHING OF THE SORT like THAT let into MY house if it did originate from facebook... But if it did, and since I do like it, I do not know how much longer I will go on without punching myself in the face for liking it. OMG! I just accused it from being from facebook and I said that I "LIKED" it! NOOOOO!

No Carrier

Okay. Everyone take a deep breath. When I googled friendship bread I saw what appears to be just regular recipes from REAL recipe sites...
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amish-f...bread-starter/ Oh look, it has real BENEFITS too... Oh wow, that was close...

And yes, I heard of AMISH bread, STARTER and 10 days so clearly I must have hit the point here. Okay, sorry for that outburst. It looks like we can all go back to being normal now...

Last edited by stilly; 11-13-2013 at 10:04 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 PM

^ i think you have had too much sugar. after that post idk if i can ever consider you normal : ).
Old 11-14-2013, 8:22 AM

you assumed he was normal in the first place, chick!
define normal, please!

eta: stilly, thanks for the link to the recipe. have you tried saving the starter? seems many have done that because they ran out of people to give it to! i quit making kombucha at home because of that as well.....and the fact that the "mother" that grew on the top was just a bit too human skin like for me to tolerate over time.
Quote:

Last edited by movie zombie; 11-14-2013 at 8:24 AM..
Old 11-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Looking around for something to use up what was in the pantry, found this: http://www.food.com/recipe/savory-se...ne-sauce-55680
Sauce was a little thin, so added flour last minute to thicken it, turned out pretty good. It has potential for doctoring to suit. For me, triple the garlic o and Worcester.
Needs a bread to go with it though, IMHO.

Good stuff.

Ingredients:

Servings:

Units: US | Metric

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 lbs sea scallops
2 cups dry white wine
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced parsley
fresh ground pepper

Directions:

Heat oil in heavy skillet over high heat.
When oil begins to smoke add scallops.
Sear each side for one minute or until each side is golden brown.
Add 1/2 cup of wine and lower heat to medium.
Simmer for 2 minutes.
Remove scallops from pan.
Add remaining wine and lemon juice,and garlic.
Bring to a boil and reduce by half.
Add butter, parsley and season with pepper.
Place scallops on a plate and smother with sauce.
Serve.

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/savory-sea-scallops-in-white-wine-sauce-55680?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/recipe/savory-sea-scallops-in-white-wine-sauce-55680?oc=linkback</a>
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / CHP S&W / Other PD trade ins....

Last edited by ptoguy2002; 11-14-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Old 11-14-2013, 5:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
define normal, please!

eta: stilly, thanks for the link to the recipe. have you tried saving the starter? seems many have done that because they ran out of people to give it to! i quit making kombucha at home because of that as well.....and the fact that the "mother" that grew on the top was just a bit too human skin like for me to tolerate over time.
Yeah if my friends started giving me chain-letter bread that REQUIRED me to bake then I would be dumping them too... "I will bake when I feel like it and not on a schedule that YOU dictate to me thank you, UNLIKE..."

I have not bothered to freeze it yet. It was supposed to be baked a day ago I guess so due to lack of funds the g/f just threw it out.
I mean, I barked and she pulled the bag out of the garbage and now is mixing it with some newly found milk and sugar... SCORE!

Damn, and I had spent time and energy mashing it up for a minute or two also...

Last edited by stilly; 11-14-2013 at 5:56 PM..
Old 11-14-2013, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Sounds interesting and easy..... but I really dont like the taste of vinegar. If cooking rare/medium rare, does the vinegar from the dressing burn off?
Yes, all you taste is the soy sauce and light spices from the dressing.
Old 11-15-2013, 4:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I just revisited the Poached Chicken recipe. I think I have made it enough now to know what works and not. what works is to NOT turn any heat back on and to NOT use cold chicken. THAT will give you extremely juicy and moist chicken breast filets (if you cut them up) ELSE you need to use chicken thighs/ leg pieces that are boneless//skinless...

Also, if you have a bit of a rub on the meat, it WILL carry through and you WILL taste it. My chicken is now ULTRA tasty... In fact, TOO tasty... I think I needed to water it down some more, but oh well.

Old 11-17-2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
define normal, please!
LoL, when it comes to living things i do not think there is a "normal." i personally am so far from that term that if i consider something/someone to be "not normal" then chances are that 98% of the population will consider it to be just BSC.
Old 11-19-2013, 1:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A few thousand rules about the particular AMISH/FRIENDSHIP bread recipe that we received...

We just completed this, it was not bad, but our timeline was also a day or two later because we kinda lost track. Only my persistence even got it made tonight.

Instead of vanilla pudding we used butterscotch. It seemed to turn out okay. Maybe cut back the cooking by about 10 minutes though. (glass pan)

Old 11-19-2013, 7:14 AM

it looks yummy!
Quote:
Old 11-19-2013, 7:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
it looks yummy!
Yeah but it still reaks of chainletterness...

Old 11-19-2013, 4:47 PM

in case someone wants to make the bread but doesn't have the starter:

http://www.momswhothink.com/bread-re...hip-bread.html
Quote:
Old 11-20-2013, 9:48 AM
Calguns Addict

How about a simple recipe that is actually surprisingly good?

Take some mild white fish (Swai works perfectly for this) put it in an aluminum disposable pan. Dump a cup of salsa on top of it, cover with foil, place on grill for 15 minutes.

This is obviously very simple, but you will be surprised at how good it actually tastes. I have found that medium salsa works great for the flavor. A mild salsa does not have enough spice and the end result is a tad bland.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 11-20-2013, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Homemade chicken & noodles anyone?

2 chicken breasts covered in water, boil for 20-30 minutes (until cooked thoroughly) then remove chicken from remaining water and let cool.

Add 1 package of grandma's egg noodles and simmer (stirring every 10 minutes or so) for about 1 hour. Gradually add 1 can of Chicken Broth to noodles. (They will soak up the water/broth as the expand.) MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT DRY OUT!

Tear chicken into bite size pieces and dump into noodles. Add salt & pepper to your tastes. Heat for 15 minutes or so and it is ready to eat.

ETA: Wouldn't you know it! WalMart has the egg noodles!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Grandma-39...-1-Lb/13424653

Also, why is this recipe thread in the ladies forum? I do all of the cooking at my home.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

Last edited by MaHoTex; 11-20-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Old 11-20-2013, 3:17 PM

because too many that posted re recipes in OT got cut to pieces by verbal ninjas. here, well, verbal ninjas are not tolerated.

welcome! your recipe sounds good!......and easy!
Quote: