Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-02-2022, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Default .308 match prepped Garand provenance?

A while back I picked up a match prepped M1 Garand in .308. It has beautiful wood, and the match conditioning was done well by someone that knew what they were doing. It shoots well, and has a very tight chamber. I was wondering if there was any way to figure out where it came from, and maybe where it was prepped. I don't think it was a Navy/military job, but really have no idea as to its origin. There are some marking on the interior bits, but I have no clue what they could mean. Barrel is not marked that I can find - maybe under the front hand-guard but I'm not removing it to see.

Bedding job was done neatly and thoroughly, the clip well has the ramp insert installed, the front hand-guard was unitized, and the rear hand-guard was relieved, as was the rear of the gas cylinder. N.M. rear sights were installed, as well.

If you more knowledgeable folks could take a look at the pics and hazard some guesses, I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 06-02-2022 at 4:26 PM..
Old 06-02-2022, 5:16 PM

BobBigbossman,
Regarding the barrel markings, the marking should be under the op rod. When opening the chamber for inspection, the barrel markings should be visible. If not, then the barrel is probably an after market barrel.

Please measure the barrel length. If the barrel length is 23.5" then the barrel was cut down from an original barrel. If the barrel length is 24", then this is the original length.

For the Navy units, they are marked as indicated above with a "7.62" followed by "MOD 0", or "MOD 1" indicated on the barrel. Normally the "Navy models" are serial numbered in the 5.8 million to 6.0 million range

Regarding the grease pencil numbering, no clue.

Best regards,
870classic.
Old 06-02-2022, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

No marking on the barrel with the action open. This is my seventh Garand, I know where to check. I'm pretty sure it is not a Navy gun - the one next to it was and I saw the barrel markings - but that one wasn't up for grabs.

This gun is built on an HRA receiver, with a serial number in the 4.7 million range. Barrel length is standard, same as the other six Garands it is nestled in with. I'm pretty sure it is a newer replacement barrel that was put on when the rifle was match prepped by person or persons unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870classic View Post
BobBigbossman,
Regarding the barrel markings, the marking should be under the op rod. When opening the chamber for inspection, the barrel markings should be visible. If not, then the barrel is probably an after market barrel.

Please measure the barrel length. If the barrel length is 23.5" then the barrel was cut down from an original barrel. If the barrel length is 24", then this is the original length.

For the Navy units, they are marked as indicated above with a "7.62" followed by "MOD 0", or "MOD 1" indicated on the barrel. Normally the "Navy models" are serial numbered in the 5.8 million to 6.0 million range

Regarding the grease pencil numbering, no clue.

Best regards,
870classic.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 06-02-2022, 7:28 PM
F it, we're doing it live
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

It's a long shot but maybe a FOIA request.

The 1911 CMP guys have been getting interesting results.
Old 06-08-2022, 6:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I support your decision to leave the handguard alone... you'd just be disappointed if you looked under there

I wonder if someone on the CMP forums would recognize the style of the "CO" marking in the barrel channel?

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 06-09-2022, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

If there are no visible stampings on your barrel, good probability it is a Criterion (or maybe Douglas?) barrel. Like Criterions, Marlin barrels were stamped in locations covered by the rear handguard. IDK where or if Douglas stamped their Garand barrels. But typically re-arsenal barrels also had a proof stamp underneath the op rod...
So, only way to know for sure would be to look underneath rear handguard I guess.
Old 06-09-2022, 3:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
So, only way to know for sure would be to look underneath rear handguard I guess.
No markings under the handguard.

Old 06-10-2022, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

OK. Not a Marlin or a Criterion barrel.

I forgot about Krieger. If the rear handguard was relieved as mentioned, was that to accomodate a "heavy" or full contour barrel?

If so, likely a krieger barrel on ur hra...

I forgot to ask, is *616* the last three digits of the receiver serial #?

Last edited by sofbak; 06-10-2022 at 3:18 PM..
Old 06-10-2022, 6:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Years ago I saw quite a few Garands converted/set up for .308 at CMP matches. I have a Fulton match Garand a friend of mine bought from Creedmoor Sports somewhere plus or minus 1990, for shooting in such matches.

Guys really liked them. I hope your rifle works well!

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 06-11-2022, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
OK. Not a Marlin or a Criterion barrel.

I forgot about Krieger. If the rear handguard was relieved as mentioned, was that to accomodate a "heavy" or full contour barrel?

If so, likely a krieger barrel on ur hra...

I forgot to ask, is *616* the last three digits of the receiver serial #?
Rear hand-guard is relieved in two ways - the rear is just short of the barrel/receiver junction, and the underside has been hogged out to accommodate a heavier barrel shank.

Also - 616 is the last three digits of the rifle....damn, how did I miss that?

Old 06-11-2022, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
Guys really liked them. I hope your rifle works well!
It does - but I lost on X count in last Tuesday's match.