Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 05-12-2022, 2:58 PM

Default Tactical vest for CZ 75 SP-01

I recently picked up a CZ SP-01 9mm. While I will certainly be shooting it regularly at the range, I want a "grab and go" HD solution. Since my imagined HD scenario also includes my Benelli M2 shotgun, I am thinking a tactical vest fits my needs.

I have been looking a lot of them online. Amazon has a ton and those aren't very expensive.

Here are some examples that have the features I like.
https://www.amazon.com/GLORYFIRE-Enf...p?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BQZUD4...ojects-20&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/YAKEDA-Ultra-...97&sr=8-6&th=1

There seems to be some issues with the pistol holster part. Some won't fit a full size pistol with a light. Some people like the velcro attachment but other say a steel frame gun will fall off. The Gloryfire one has Molle attachment but a video review says the holster flops around.

hard to tell if these are just Amazon cheapies and if there are better brands out there. I am very open to other alternatives or personal experiences with this type of product.

Last edited by rhodesengr; 05-12-2022 at 3:02 PM..
Old 05-14-2022, 6:07 AM
Veteran Member

For HD if you see yourself having enough time to don a vest you may want to consider a Molle plate carrier with either hard or soft plates or a chest rig. You'll have plenty of options of staging your kit and if you run plates You'll have ballistic protection also.
Old 05-14-2022, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
For HD if you see yourself having enough time to don a vest you may want to consider a Molle plate carrier with either hard or soft plates or a chest rig. You'll have plenty of options of staging your kit and if you run plates You'll have ballistic protection also.
^^ This. A tactical vest is pointless if it's only real purpose is to holster your firearm. If it's a HD situation you'll most likely be holding said firearm. I'd rather have a plate carrier on and have some ballistic protection.
And are you planning on grabbing both a long gun and pistol if there's a real bump in the night?
Those things look really cumbersome. Buy once cry once I always say. Plate carriers vary in quality and price. As well as where they're made. Get the best one your budget will allow. Way more modular vs those crappy vests that are set in where your gear can go. Then decide how much money you can spend on plates. It costs more to go lighter. That's something only you can decide. My wifes APC only has soft plates. It's not weighted down with a bunch of stuff. Previous long-term injury won't allow that to happen. It's fairly minimalist. But it works perfect for HD. If we ever had to go mobile she wouldn't be carrying a long gun anyway. Just the way it is. But I have kids big and strong enough to make up for that. As well as my own gear.
Old 05-15-2022, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madland View Post
And are you planning on grabbing both a long gun and pistol if there's a real bump in the night?
Well anything I think of is just a projected, hypothetical scenario. I live in a quite suburban neighborhood. Never had a break-in and probably never will. There have been some day time break-ins in my area but but any "home invasions" where the people are there.

I started acquiring HD equipment about two years ago. I chose shotguns as my primary means of defense. So in my imagined scenario, I would still grab the M2 or SXP first. With one of the vests I mentioned, I could also have the CZ 75 and extra shells for the M2. I think I can thrown on a vest fairly fast.

I do appreciate the advantage of something that has some protection and I may go that route. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 05-15-2022, 7:58 AM

Have you had any training? If not , spend the money on classes so your reactions are based on how you continually train and drill versus imagination . I’ve got a CZ75 P-01 by the bed with 17+1 and a spare mag. That’s it. I carry that pistol daily, drill with it , run courses with it, take classes with it and have 10k rounds through it. I have an SP-01 that I have shot as much. When my wife and I have done earthquake drills and home invasion drills , there isn’t much time for fumbling around. Some feel that having to do a task like loading a round in a shotgun and switching off the safety helps you wake up. Maybe a vest would do the same. Having a vest is of little use for me if I don’t train to shoot rapidly, under stress while moving. The only thing I’ve considered having is ear protection so that I don’t go deaf after the first round.

Last edited by JoyfulJoker; 05-15-2022 at 8:16 AM..
Old 05-15-2022, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulJoker View Post
Have you had any training?
Any good suggestions? I took a basic shotgun class when I first started and now I shoot once a week or more. I was focused on Trap for a while and went to some Trap coaching sessions. I started during the initial covid wave so there wasn't much being offered. Definitely open to a more tactical or home defensive oriented class.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulJoker View Post
Have you had any training? If not , spend the money on classes so your reactions are based on how you continually train and drill versus imagination . Iíve got a CZ75 P-01 by the bed with 17+1 and a spare mag. Thatís it. I carry that pistol daily, drill with it , run courses with it, take classes with it and have 10k rounds through it. I have an SP-01 that I have shot as much. When my wife and I have done earthquake drills and home invasion drills , there isnít much time for fumbling around. Some feel that having to do a task like loading a round in a shotgun and switching off the safety helps you wake up. Maybe a vest would do the same. Having a vest is of little use for me if I donít train to shoot rapidly, under stress while moving. The only thing Iíve considered having is ear protection so that I donít go deaf after the first round.
I would agree with this...

@OP - You are already thinking tactical... But, how good can you run the gun?

_
Old 05-15-2022, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Any good suggestions? I took a basic shotgun class when I first started and now I shoot once a week or more. I was focused on Trap for a while and went to some Trap coaching sessions. I started during the initial covid wave so there wasn't much being offered. Definitely open to a more tactical or home defensive oriented class.
Check the appropriate sub-forums... A lot of recommendations have already been given:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...splay.php?f=19

_
Old 05-16-2022, 2:32 AM

Another thing to consider in the HD handgun vs long-gun realm is the ability to multi-task while using a handgun.
In my HD scenario..either of the handguns I have in the bedroom have a TLR-1HL mounted to them. 1000 lumens of light. Enough light if I'm holding in a high-ready position to spill light into the entire hallway and down the hall to the loft where any potential threat should be coming up the stairs from..and still not have to point at anything while still putting light on what I'm looking at. In this case I can still get my kids from their room over to my room without flagging anyone. And I still have a free hand to help move them and also be on my phone calling 911. With a shotgun..the only thing you are doing is holding it with two hands..potentially pointing it at a friendly in order to get light into the area..and someone else has to call 911.
Plus..both handguns hold 13+1 with a spare mag each. A shotgun you probably only are getting 6+1 with a few out there holding a bit more. Your reload time on a few shells vs a full 13rd spare mag is massive. Something to think about.

P.S. I keep an old pair of running shoes already laced up next to the bed. I can slip right into them. They're there more for in the event of an earthquake or fire in the middle of the night. But either way I don't want to have to get up in the middle of the night in an emergency and have to put in some work barefoot. Something else to think about as well.