Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-03-2022, 4:35 PM
Banned in Amsterdam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default CPU core temperatures

Hi everyone

I have a new gaming lap top computer, and I've noticed occasional peaks in core temps.

Normally it runs 60 - 80 degrees Celsius. But once in a while, when running graphics intensive activities, some cores will spike to 90 -95 degrees. It only lasts for a brief moment before they drop back down.

Is this normal and acceptable? Or is this dangerous?

Thanks in advance.

"Shot placement trumps all."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Who uses 9mm for SD? Anything less than a 50BMG is stupid to use. Personally, I prefer canister rounds out of a 10lb Parrott rifle for SD.
Old 04-03-2022, 5:31 PM

Those Temps are a little high. At 100c the cpu will thermal throttle and possibly shutdown to protect itself. Make sure that you are not blocking the air vents on the laptop.
Old 04-03-2022, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

You can also use a cooling pad/fan that you can set your laptop on...
Old 04-03-2022, 7:27 PM

As long as below 100c, and it never consistently and stay at 90degrees. Because computer fan controls by temp, so the fan speed don’t run at 100% all time.
If you worry for the temp, you can get software to control cpu fan run at higher speed.
Old 04-04-2022, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

What kind of laptop is it? That's quite normal for most laptops that don't utilize a vapor chamber for cooling. When the temperature reaches 90-95C, the clocks will momentarily drop and the fan speed will increase in order to reduce the temperature.
Old 04-04-2022, 8:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i have an old laptop ('14) and i redid the thermal paste. it lowered 5 deg Celsius on avg. i also am good with opening the back and blow air thru the cpu fan, vents, and everywhere i can. i use my air compressor to have stronger air vs. the canned air.

over time, i think the heat degrades components. my work laptop looks to be in the same boat (lenovo) and i did a reset already and i have many problem on slowness.
Old 04-04-2022, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

If it's just temporary spikes, while high, not dangerous to the health of the CPU. Perhaps your CPU didn't have the best thermal paste job applied to it. I've seen that more often than I'd care to. At worse, you might want to look into undervolting your CPU. In laptops, this often helps to improve the performance overall and returns better thermals.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 04-04-2022, 2:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Usually you will want to adjust the included CPU/GPU tuning utilities. Fan profiles in particular. You do not have to run fans at 100% RPM all the time, but you usually should bump them up to hit 100% before the temp spectrum that is preset. I have a ASUS - ROG Zephyrus 14" and I had to change the fan profiles A LOT to get the temp targets I wanted. Out of the box it would thermal throttle. Usually the included utilities work fine.
Old 04-04-2022, 8:36 PM
Banned in Amsterdam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thank you very much everyone for the help.

I've purchased a cooling pad, which seems to help.

To Cruffler's advice, I've found the "MSI Center", an application included on MSI computers that among other things provides performance information and a means to adjust fan profiles.

Some modest adjustment of these fan profiles has made the problem go away - at least so far. The system is running much cooler. Both according to "Core Temp", a freeware program, and according to my fingers on the keyboard.

Thanks again. I'd hate for my new lap top investment to prematurely become a baked boat anchor.

"Shot placement trumps all."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Who uses 9mm for SD? Anything less than a 50BMG is stupid to use. Personally, I prefer canister rounds out of a 10lb Parrott rifle for SD.
Old 04-05-2022, 8:24 PM

What processor? Different processors have different maximum recommended temps. Intel processors generally run hotter than AMD, and laptops generally run hotter than desktops. One way to immediately and permanently lower temps is to apply new aftermarket thermal paste to the CPU and GPU, but I wouldn't recommend that if you're not very familiar with laptop modification and/or if your laptop is under warranty as opening it up will void the warranty. Factory thermal paste is usually garbage.

Last edited by MrFancyPants; 04-05-2022 at 8:30 PM..
Old 04-05-2022, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

If it is an AMD Ryzen, they had some glitches, a fix was or will soon be available (I don't have one so I didn't pay much attention to the news release).