Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-08-2022, 2:48 PM

Default CMMG .22LR Conversion Kit Storage container

I used some 1.25” Schedule 40 and a couple of end caps to make a tube type container for my CMMG .22 conversion bolt. I stuffed a bit of foam in both caps to provide a bit of cushion, and a tighter fit. I also glued one (1) of the caps on. My plan is to store the bolt, magazines, and loading tool in one small plastic ammo can.

I really wasn’t paying attention or thinking when I initially removed the kit from the factory packaging. It came with a protective rubber sleeve that covered the chamber end of the bolt, and I tossed that rubber sleeve without giving it much thought. That was dumb. Anyway, perhaps this information might help someone. Good Luck. Edit: the second photo is the bolt, magazines and loader in a shallow Plano Ammo box. The box is about 5.75” tall. I could probably fit another magazine in there, plus ammo or tools etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFCC78B1-53C9-4DE4-AE3C-93E117A86686.jpg (19.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg DABFD0B1-700F-4308-8FDC-637052F407FF.jpg (20.1 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Ishootforblood; 06-08-2022 at 4:56 PM..
Old 06-09-2022, 6:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That's a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 06-12-2022, 2:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishootforblood View Post
Thanks for the kind response. To be fair, I read about it on a different web site. I checked to see if 1” PVC would work because I had plenty of 1” in my wood shed, but no, one-inch is too narrow. The 1.25” schedule 40 fits well, and is about $14.00 for an 8’ length at Home Depot. The end caps are $1.50 each. I used a couple of drops of super glue on one end cap. My PVC glue was dried out, and I didn’t want to spend the money on a new bottle; this won’t be used for water or high pressure etc. Now, what can I do with 7’ of 1.25” scheduled 40?

Buy 7 sets of end caps.
Make 7 more containers.
Sell them for $10 each + shipping.
Donate the proceeds to CGN.net.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 06-12-2022, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the kind response. To be fair, I read about it on a different web site. I checked to see if 1” PVC would work because I had plenty of 1” in my wood shed, but no, one-inch is too narrow. The 1.25” schedule 40 fits well, and is about $14.00 for an 8’ length at Home Depot. The end caps are $1.50 each. I used a couple of drops of super glue on one end cap. My PVC glue was dried out, and I didn’t want to spend the money on a new bottle; this won’t be used for water or high pressure etc. Now, what can I do with 7’ of 1.25” scheduled 40?

Edit: I also had plans to leave this kit installed in a rifle, and call it a “dedicated” .22LR. However, CMMG recommends that you remove the bolt from the rifle when not in use. I’m not sure if that’s a safety practice or if it’s a corrosion concern? And before the Peanut Gallery Chimes in, I know what a dedicated .22LR barrel & Bolt are (I have several).
Forget the donations.

Buy more ammo.
Old 06-12-2022, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

I was thinking of using a 1 1/4" schedule 80 threaded 10" nipple and two threaded endcaps. Pretty hard to find and would probably run $20 plus a bunch shipping. Have to hit Lowes (etc) to "look around". Probably end up with your suggestion, although I always see short lengths of pvc piping in all sizes, or at least I use to.

I've used my new conversion three times now in the past month. Shot off two boxes of 50 of the Thunderturds I bought 6 years ago, two boxes of Win 333 garbage, four sleeves of Win red slides (forget exactly which ones), a few Fed Champions, and a few Rem GB's, which by the way, shot the best, except for some mini mags hp's. Probably have another 5-10 years of shooting the Feds and GB's. Bought a few more mags, but they are slow loading. One FTF and one or two didn't load correctly. Otherwise fine. Glad I bought one.

Bleep. I almost forgot to thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks.

Last edited by Calamity Sue; 06-12-2022 at 3:17 PM..
Old 06-13-2022, 4:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Good diy carry case OP.

Maybe paint it orange so it doesn't look like a pipe bomb?
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-13-2022, 5:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Red with skull and cross bones.

Went to Lowes and bought the stuff I need to make one. I already keep my 5 magazines and a rag wrapped CMMG in an old Plano ammo can of which I have 20-30 not being used.
Old 06-16-2022, 6:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I’m sorry if my homemade protective case offends anyone; I really wasn’t going for a stylish, clandestine, ominous or manly look. The sad truth is they were all out of Hello Kitty vibrator pouches so I had to make do.
I think Michael's has a good selection of carry straps, glitter paint and assorted Sponge Bob Square Pants stickers.

*style points will be assessed/awarded at a later date for artistic value.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-16-2022, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
While I recognize that it’s important for you to express yourself with glitter & such, and I also understand it’s “Pride Month,” and perhaps that’s important to you. Although I’m not judging you, I’m also not participating. And I still believe you shouldn’t be using the lady’s restroom. Funny guy.
Pride month??? WTF are you talking about?

Apparently my humor has not been well received. All kidding aside. Your project still looks like a pipe bomb. IMO
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-16-2022, 1:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Schedule 80 would be really thick. I know you can get PVC thinner than 40, and it might be better to go that way. And yes, they often sell shorter pieces for about $5.00.
I save the white cardboard pop tubes / mailing tubes from BCG's... some of them come with those... similar to what some pocket knife manufacturers give you like GEC. I know I got at least a few from PSA. You can probably buy the tubes. PVC is stronger of course, but some of those tubes have a 80+ pound crush weight and a BCG is a lot tougher than that.

Lots of plastic tube option that are BCG sized, and places like Brownell's and Lone Wolf send the squared ones out with slides, pistol barrels, etc... repurpose them if you got em. Five packs of the 2"x8.25" plastic tubes with caps are about $15
Old 06-16-2022, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Pride month??? WTF are you talking about?

Apparently my humor has not been well received. All kidding aside. Your project still looks like a pipe bomb. IMO
You were misunderstood.

Maybe add some of the hazmat stickers from the last smokeless powder order?

If no one got your humor it's 100% certain they won't get mine. So I'm going to help you out: - - -

If all you're going to do is post hearsay who needs to read what you have to say?

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent.
Not losing is not a Victory if everything stays the same.
Winning isn't the only thing, there is also losing.
Old 06-16-2022, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

The reason I was thinking of using schedule 80 was due to the threading which makes it easy to get an end cap off. Stuff is too expensive. Already made one which is all I need for now. Had to sand down the pvc ends so the caps fit on more easily. Also had to get a bigger can, and the normal Plano can isn't much over 9" ID. No big deal. Again, thanks for the idea.
Old 06-16-2022, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

If I recall, mine is stored in an old empty Hoppes cleaning kit container.
Old 06-17-2022, 3:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The Ares SCR lowers came with a carrier / rat tail tube that can be used like that.

FED EX delivered a 7.5' shipping tube today with nice plastic end caps (Olympic weight bar) but one side was kind of mashed... I might slice it in half, keep the good side and caps, hahah.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Last Toolcraft BCG's I got from PSA... they have Microbest and Toolcraft on sale right now.

Old 06-18-2022, 9:54 PM

I just keep mine in my ar lol