Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-22-2019, 7:10 PM
Veteran Member

Default Any ladies here like shooting the Glock 42 or 43?

Was thinking of giving one or the other to my wife (legal transfer of course) in the event she decides to apply and qualify for a ccw (pro 2A sheriff in my county).

Just wondering what you ladies think of it to practice with and maybe ccw. My wife has shot the 43 but not the 42.

Opinions welcome. Thanks.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-23-2019, 7:43 PM

Got my wife a Kahr CW9 and she likes it. She is not into shooting and I hooked her up with an instructor that let her shoot several different weapons.

The CW9 does need a break in of a couple hundred rounds before it cycles reliably. Jam jam jam. After a good cleaning and a few boxes of ammo no problems at all.

John 14:6
Old 09-23-2019, 8:26 PM

My wife loves her 42, very soft shooting and lightweight. Some women I’ve talked to say the 43 is quite a bit snappier. .380 ammo is more expensive and lacks power but recoil management for women is a big plus. I’d have her try them side by side if possible before buying. I’ll bet she likes the 42 better.
Old 09-28-2019, 7:05 PM

I can manage the recoil of a larger round just fine. I don't need a puny 380 handgun for my carry. Take her to a range where she can try shooting different handguns for herself and see what she likes.
Old 10-01-2019, 5:14 PM

My wife has arthritis and could not operate the slide of semiauto pistols. She likes my Smith & Wesson model 66 with 2 3/4" barrel. She shoots it well, too.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Nice. Thanks all for the opinions.

I do find the .380 marginal at best, but a face full of .380 is superior to a face full of pepper spray. With the wife, if it’s “.380 or nothing,” I’d have her choose the .380.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-09-2019, 9:19 PM

I'm a woman and I have a G42. The only reason I have it is because the single-stack frame of the Glock was excellent for off-duty carry on my body. I would have 100% preferred to have gotten a single-stack 9mm; however, Glock had not come out with the G43 yet when I was shopping. The Shield, my other option, was sold out everywhere. So G42 it was.

I think the .380 is just fine for what it is - especially if it's for CCW. The G42 is *concealable* in a way that chubby sub-compacts and other pocket pistols are not. My issue with the G42 is that it is not performing up to my standards. It's picky with ammo and mags and it gets type II malfunctions far too often. It's not operator error - I had my coworkers watch me on the range and they insist it's not me. The G42 is very easy to shoot; but, it does seem to lack some power. My colleagues and I recently considered if I needed to step up the standard cheapo ammo for something with more bang. I am attempting to troubleshoot my G42; but, will likely switch it out for something else (like the Shield in 9mm I was initially looking at).

I have no problems handling large-caliber weapons or semi-autos of all types - any reported snappiness of a G43 would not bother me. Though, it could bother other women. I have not heard of the same issues with the G43 as I have with my G42. Like we always suggest; have your Mrs. try them out herself and see what she prefers! Good luck!

Last edited by BadKitty; 10-09-2019 at 9:23 PM..
Old 10-11-2019, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
I'm a woman and I have a G42. The only reason I have it is because the single-stack frame of the Glock was excellent for off-duty carry on my body. I would have 100% preferred to have gotten a single-stack 9mm; however, Glock had not come out with the G43 yet when I was shopping. The Shield, my other option, was sold out everywhere. So G42 it was.

I think the .380 is just fine for what it is - especially if it's for CCW. The G42 is *concealable* in a way that chubby sub-compacts and other pocket pistols are not. My issue with the G42 is that it is not performing up to my standards. It's picky with ammo and mags and it gets type II malfunctions far too often. It's not operator error - I had my coworkers watch me on the range and they insist it's not me. The G42 is very easy to shoot; but, it does seem to lack some power. My colleagues and I recently considered if I needed to step up the standard cheapo ammo for something with more bang. I am attempting to troubleshoot my G42; but, will likely switch it out for something else (like the Shield in 9mm I was initially looking at).

I have no problems handling large-caliber weapons or semi-autos of all types - any reported snappiness of a G43 would not bother me. Though, it could bother other women. I have not heard of the same issues with the G43 as I have with my G42. Like we always suggest; have your Mrs. try them out herself and see what she prefers! Good luck!

Just FYI my wife’s G42 has similar issues, there is a ton of people that had the same problems, I called Glock and they had me send it back, they paid for shipping both ways, they changed some parts and has been flawless ever since. Also hotter loaded ammo works best, we use stuff that runs at least 1000 FPS.

https://www.glockforum.com/threads/g...roblems.51195/

Last edited by tnlrat37; 10-11-2019 at 9:57 AM..
Old 10-13-2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
Just FYI my wife’s G42 has similar issues, there is a ton of people that had the same problems, I called Glock and they had me send it back, they paid for shipping both ways, they changed some parts and has been flawless ever since. Also hotter loaded ammo works best, we use stuff that runs at least 1000 FPS.
Good call! I might try one more tune-up (extra cleaning and another feed ramp polishing) and then call Glock. I carry with Hornady Critical Defense (1000fps) or Winchester PDX1 Defender (1000fps). Though, I'm not a fan of blowing through $40 worth of ammo + range fees just to do my quarterly qualifications. So, I was trying to get away with Winchester white box (955fps) for quals.
Old 10-17-2019, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Kitty and tnlrat..... you guys/gals know that Glock redesigned the G42 innards, right????? Here’s what I wrote about the G42 months ago...., If you have an older generation of the G42, you’ll experience the problems you talk about. The newer version will shoot ANYTHING you feed it..., read on from one of my earlier posts.....I got this information directly from an inside source in Smyrna. Of course he/she said Glock will never admit “issues,” so I can’t devuldge his/her name. But here’s the gist of it all:

As of late 2018, G42 newest mags are now series “03.” Also, the newer G42’s (Dec 2018) have changed the internals with newly designed parts. Specifically three components have been redesigned. First is the biggest culprit that gave most of the problems and that’s the slide stop. It’s been redesigned not to physically make contact with the bullet protruding out the top of the magazine. The old design was actually touching the tip of a bullet in the magazine and that caused huge problems with the reliability of the weapon. On the new slide stop part, it is stamped with an added “-1,” immediately following the part number engraved on it.

Second is the trigger mechanism housing (TMH), which also now has the “-1” designator stamped on it adjacent to the part number as well.

Last is the frame of the gun next to the trigger, which also has a “1” stamped into it. These are the changes one can see Glock did to indicate that one has the “newest” redesigned G42. I looked for these changes at the dealer when I bought my newest G42’s. You can see the “1” stamped on the right side of the frame looking down by where the trigger bar connects to the trigger mechanism. The other parts can’t be viewed so easily unless you fully disassemble the gun beyond “field stripping.” But no dealer will allow you to do that.

But if your new gun comes with the “03” stamped magazines (back of the mag near the bottom of the bullet “windows”), you’ll know you have the latest designed G42. It eats all ammo through it now without a hitch. This is why I NEVER by the first year model anything. I always wait a year or two for the bugs to get worked out. From cars to new electronics to guns. Always wait before buying after a new model comes out.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><