Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-20-2019, 6:35 PM

I'm frankly jealous of all of you that can go rent guns. There isn't any such thing for hours in any direction here BUT, you can usually get some old farts from the gun club to show their wares to you at the club range.
Old 04-09-2019, 2:05 AM

Another vote for the Sig P238, we went through a "few" guns for my wife trying to find something comfortable for her to shoot - the P238 with a Hogue grip (a purple one of course!) just "fits", recoil is very manageable, operation is nearly effortless. The stock grips for the CA roster model pretty much stink, but there are MANY options, so keep in mind that it's worth checking what aftermarket accessories are out there as you narrow your choices.

FWIW, I thought the P238 was going to be too small and finicky to aim, but after shooting it a bit myself, I'm looking for another one. My wife has good instincts in firearms!
Old 04-09-2019, 8:53 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
…...we went through a "few" guns for my wife trying to find something comfortable for her to shoot - the P238 with a Hogue grip (a purple one of course!) just "fits", recoil is very manageable, operation is nearly effortless. The stock grips for the CA roster model pretty much stink, but there are MANY options, so keep in mind that it's worth checking what aftermarket accessories are out there as you narrow your choices.

….. My wife has good instincts in firearms!

proving again that the person who is going to be shooting the gun needs to be the person testing them out.....and making the decision as to which one is the best fit.

and a very good point re aftermarket grips can make a world of difference. but I couldn't appreciate that until I had fired many different pistols and had some experience. only then could I determine if I purchased a "not so perfect fit for my hand" pistol that it would be ok with a different set of grips.

I do think it is great, DB, that you found a new pistol that you like through her experience! and i'm liking that she didn't want to share and you're getting your own! one can never have too many, imo, whether a female or male shooter...…….
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 04-09-2019, 10:58 AM

A while back, I took a friend and her husband to the range to try out a few handguns. The wife is probably 95# max, maybe 5'1" tall. She shot .22LR, my Ruger SP101 .38, a standard size 9mm SW and a Ruger LC9s Pro, my HK P2000sk (.40 with the light LEM trigger), and my full-size HK USP .45. Surprisingly, the liked the P2000sk the most! While slightly "fat" compared the Ruger, the recoil was far less and the grip much more comfortable. HK really nailed the recoil management with the SK, more so than the standard P2000. Even with .40 S&W caliber, the P2000sk is polite enough for rapid fire on target. The light LEM trigger uses no external levers or buttons for safety; keep your finger off the trigger and it won't go BANG. Pretty simple.

On a side note, with the magazine "holiday" purchases, the P2000sk has now gone from a 9+1 to a 10+1 (standard P2000/USPc magazine with X-Grip) to a 13+1 (P30 standard magazine with a different X-Grip)! Very nicely balanced and great firepower for a sub-compact.
Old 04-09-2019, 1:59 PM

Save your money and buy a used Glock 43.
Old 09-03-2019, 6:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Since you're used to a revolver, you might want to check out the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. I'd load it with .32 H&R Magnum. (Think of the .327 Fed mag as the .32 equivalent of the .357 mag and the .32 H&R mag as the .32 equivalent of the .38 spl +P) The .32 LCR will have 6 shots vs 5 for a .38 (20% more rounds) and will have less recoil and will be effective with modern ammo, like the Hornady Critical Defense load. If you want the version with the exposed hammer (vs hammerless), that's the LCRx.

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5452.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_H%26R_Magnum

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...itical-defense

Revolvers can be bulkier, but their bulk has curves, so it is less obvious what it is, whereas the straight lines and sharp angles of a semi scream "gun!" Plus, if you have to draw and fire while pushing the muzzle of the gun against a Bad Guy, a revolver will still work whereas most semis will get pushed out of battery and will not fire. Last, a little hammerless snubbie like the Ruger can fit in your coat pocket with your hand holding it while you walk and you can even shoot it through your coat without even drawing it. (Saving your life, but ruining your coat.)

Wish you the best!

ETA: since I see you're a newbie, (1) avoid problems by obeying the 4-Stupids Rule (avoid being around Stupid people, going to Stupid places, doing Stupid things, or being out at Stupid times). (2) remember to carry pepper spray because most "problems" do not call for deadly force. I could say a lot more, but just those 2 things will save you a lot of needless drama and headaches.
Seems like Lucky Gunner has come to the same conclusion re. the .32 H&R Mag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_m4M8CAe0

Last edited by Paladin; 09-03-2019 at 6:26 AM..
Old 09-03-2019, 7:49 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

thanks, Paladin. very informative. definitely worth watching through to the end. I note the chart towards the end that also includes .22 data. my point is and to echo his comment, accuracy re shot placement is greatly important no matter caliber. and if a smaller caliber gets one to that place of accuracy then so be it. again, thanks! if he updates I hope you post it here.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 09-14-2019, 5:48 PM

Haven’t read all of the comments but the Sig P365 is a great choice great gun awesome trigger and carries incredibly well. Great little 9mm. I don’t own one but I’ve shot one and it was great for being so small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymallory1 View Post
Haven’t read all of the comments but the Sig P365 is a great choice great gun awesome trigger and carries incredibly well. Great little 9mm. I don’t own one but I’ve shot one and it was great for being so small.
My Glock 42 isn't really working out for me. I was looking into the Shield 9mm and one of my coworkers just suggested the Sig P365. The sizes all seem comparable; but, I did note the Shield is much heavier. That is a consideration for me with CCW. I was planning to rent a Shield to try it out and now I think I'll add P365 to the list.
Old 10-09-2019, 2:27 PM

I carry every day and in my opinion the P365 is the be all and end all of easily concealable guns. I started my "easy to conceal" journey with a G26, then an M&P 340 AirLite .357 (miserable to shoot so I loaded it with .38 spl...still not fun), then a Shield, then a G43, and finally, the P365, which is my current EDC and the only thing I would consider replacing it with would be the P365XL simply due to my XL-size hands.

I've shot the Shield and the P365 in USPSA matches just for fun, and have run both of them in "tactical" training courses where full-size guns were recommended. Both of those pistols (and the G43) are as accurate as full-size guns and will run with the big boys if you invest the training time to be able to do your part. That said, the P365 is the best of the three in magazine capacity, out-of-the-box trigger, ergonomics and fit and finish.

If money is no object I recommend a P365 -- the G43 and Shield are good lower cost options, with the Shield winning on performance per dollar (in California). The G43 and the Shield will need better sights, the P365 sights are good to go out of the box.

A revolver is a simpler option with less of a learning curve than a semi-automatic. The downside to a snub nose revolver is of course ammunition capacity, ease/speed of reloading, and placing accurate shots beyond 7-yards (revolvers are not inaccurate, but the sights and small grips of the ones most people use for pocket/purse carry do impose limitations that the P365/Shield/G43 are not constrained by).

Lastly, please forgive me if you are already well-versed in the benefits of appropriate training, but if you are not, the right type and amount of training will make much more of a difference to your safety and self-defense capability than the difference between any of the pistols you may be considering.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2

Last edited by Stumpfenhammer; 12-20-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Old 10-27-2019, 11:02 AM

Hi. So what did you choose?
I am now looking for a carry weapon. I am leaning toward Sig P365 (+/- SAS), then between Springfield EMP (which feels great in my hand) and Glock 26 (which is probably the most reliable but feels lousy in my hand).
So what did you choose?