Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-20-2018, 6:16 AM

Default Mothers - what is your setup?

Hi, I recently purchased a gun for home protection and DROS ended on Saturday. Before I bring the gun home, I want to purchase a safe. I'm debating on whether to get a simple key safe or one of those bio-metric safes (Gunbox, Vaultek, Barska, Viking, etc). My husband is working a lot of the time and it's just me and my two daughters at home (4 yrs old and younger).

If you use a bio-metric safe, how often does it not open on first try? What other alternatives are there?
Also, do you carry within your home? I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing this (yet).

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 08-20-2018, 6:24 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I am obviously not a mother, but I can tell you what my wife does. We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, we both have biometric safes in our nightstands. We also reduce curiosity by letting the kids see what's in them if they ask, by making sure they get the never touch talk every time.

It opens the first or second time, she does not carry in the home although now that we are an ffl she is considering it. Her problem is how to carry inside the house. She is try draw holsters but they don't stay up very well, she has tried inside the waistband holders but they make it hard to do some household chores. We are tempted to try outside the waistband holsters, but then if you went outside to get the mail it looks funny... Undetermined at the moment

We have Atlas gun works single shot 2011 available! If it is on their website we can get it for you.

We have single shot AR pistols in stock!

website
Old 08-20-2018, 6:34 AM

That's really helpful.

If you don't mind saying, which safes did you purchase and why did you purchase those over others? Or what qualities in that safe did you prefer?
Old 08-20-2018, 6:37 AM
Vendor/Retailer

We ended up with Sentry brand, but honestly we just grabbed what was at Costco.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We have Atlas gun works single shot 2011 available! If it is on their website we can get it for you.

website
Old 08-20-2018, 6:44 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

waygeekier, has your wife tried a thigh holster? a waistband holster that is in the small of the back shouldn't impede ability to do household chores.

my fear re carrying at home is the ability of a child to accidentally handle and/or set off the pistol. with a revolver it is easy enough to keep the first chamber empty.

good thread! lots to consider re carrying at home when one is a mom of young children.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 08-20-2018, 6:46 AM
Vendor/Retailer

She hadn't tried that, link?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

website
Old 08-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Uhaul Enthusiast

We also have two little ones and use the SentrySafe biometric. Honestly, I am amazed at how well the biometrics work. It picks up attempts I expect to fail to the point where i then have someone else try it or a different finger, just to make sure. It opens great for us and no one else. I bought mine off amazon, but they can be found at costco.

SentrySafe Pistol Safe, Quick Access Biometric Gun Safe, One Pistol Capacity
Old 08-20-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
a waistband holster that is in the small of the back shouldn't impede ability to do household chores.
There is a risk of a lower back injury when these are worn and the person carrying falls down and lands on it.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Try looking at this one..Mine does not have the Bio lock but love it anyway, brother has this exact one & loves it. 3 ways to open.. finger, combo, or key, and it pops open no need to fumble with door. will hold 2 HG's

Hope this helps.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wpq9i0oJFJ0Fpi
Old 08-20-2018, 1:05 PM

Default Same

Also not a mother, but am a father with little ones at the house these days (2yrs) and under. I also went with the Sentry Safe Bio-metric. It is a decent little safe for keeping things out of little ones hands. It opens pretty quickly for my wife and I ( usually on the first attempt, but depends on how quickly or accurately your finger swipe is. It also has a combo and key function.) Battery life for some wasn't reported as great, but we have had no issues.
Picked mine up from my local Costco for under $100 when it was on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
Try looking at this one..Mine does not have the Bio lock but love it anyway, brother has this exact one & loves it. 3 ways to open.. finger, combo, or key, and it pops open no need to fumble with door. will hold 2 HG's

Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2018, 1:24 PM

Not a mom, but I have a wife and two girls ;-)

When I brought first gun home, I went with a simple numeric keypad lock, never want to be looking for a key in a hurry.
I replace the batteries every 5 years - before they need it.

The only thing I don't like about it is the audible feedback is way too loud.
That and the fact that it's full ;-)
Old 08-20-2018, 4:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow. A lot of non-moms posting here.

I'll be another one! LOL! But, my wife and I both shoot and carry at home. We don't however, have little ones. Tweak to your individual circumstances.

We have 3 safes. 1 Gunvault on each side of our bed for our nightstand gun.
https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-GV10...76014700&psc=1

We also have a larger Barska fingerprint safe for a few other pistols + other valuables.
https://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-AX1122...ska+safe&psc=1

The code vs. fingerprint reader each have their positives and negatives. I have had issues with it reading my fingerprints. The tiniest smidgen of sweat, water or other stuff will cause it to not open.

Then, I have issues with entering the right combo to the other safe. It's relatively easy, but I'd rather go that route than the fingerprint reader for a bump in the night scenario.

Neither have had ongoing issues with opening. I change the batteries on new years day for all of my safes. Same with my smoke and CO detectors.

As far as holsters go, the best holster is one that will cover the trigger of the gun. My vote would be an OWB full kydex holster or hybrid IWB. Carry at home. All the time. They do make holsters with active retention, but those get bigger quick. Others use a simple strap to retain it.

Just an example of active retention & how big they get: http://www.kt-mech.com/model_ak/ak_S...pact_1302.html

They also make a model using a strap too. I can't quite find it that quickly, but hop around in the website and you should be able to come across it.

KT Mech is a reputable company and if you want anything custom, they can do it for you. All of my holsters are from them.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-20-2018, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry for the long post above.

Here's a reason to carry on your person 100% of the time. Evil exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlED9g7O_aU

Good luck in your quest. Get training. Be safe.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-20-2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
my fear re carrying at home is the ability of a child to accidentally handle and/or set off the pistol. with a revolver it is easy enough to keep the first chamber empty.
bolding is mine. I'm terrified of that happening!
Old 08-20-2018, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post

Hope this helps.

The non-bio one says it holds one hg. Are yours compact?
Old 08-20-2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
Also not a mother, but am a father with little ones at the house these days (2yrs) and under. I also went with the Sentry Safe Bio-metric. It is a decent little safe for keeping things out of little ones hands. It opens pretty quickly for my wife and I ( usually on the first attempt, but depends on how quickly or accurately your finger swipe is. It also has a combo and key function.) Battery life for some wasn't reported as great, but we have had no issues.
Picked mine up from my local Costco for under $100 when it was on sale.
Another vote for Costco. Curious, what have you told your 2 yr old, re guns, if anything?
Old 08-20-2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomBytes View Post

When I brought first gun home, I went with a simple numeric keypad lock, never want to be looking for a key in a hurry.

Audible meaning it beeps when you open or close it? I imagine in an emergency situation that would be awful. there must be a way to turn it off or make it quieter.
Old 08-20-2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Wow. A lot of non-moms posting here.

I'll be another one! LOL! But, my wife and I both shoot and carry at home. We don't however, have little ones. Tweak to your individual circumstances.

We have 3 safes. 1 Gunvault on each side of our bed for our nightstand gun.
https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-GV10...76014700&psc=1

We also have a larger Barska fingerprint safe for a few other pistols + other valuables.
https://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-AX1122...ska+safe&psc=1

The code vs. fingerprint reader each have their positives and negatives. I have had issues with it reading my fingerprints. The tiniest smidgen of sweat, water or other stuff will cause it to not open.

Then, I have issues with entering the right combo to the other safe. It's relatively easy, but I'd rather go that route than the fingerprint reader for a bump in the night scenario.

Neither have had ongoing issues with opening. I change the batteries on new years day for all of my safes. Same with my smoke and CO detectors.

As far as holsters go, the best holster is one that will cover the trigger of the gun. My vote would be an OWB full kydex holster or hybrid IWB. Carry at home. All the time. They do make holsters with active retention, but those get bigger quick. Others use a simple strap to retain it.

Just an example of active retention & how big they get: http://www.kt-mech.com/model_ak/ak_S...pact_1302.html

They also make a model using a strap too. I can't quite find it that quickly, but hop around in the website and you should be able to come across it.

KT Mech is a reputable company and if you want anything custom, they can do it for you. All of my holsters are from them.
At this point, it doesn't even matter that the posters are not mothers. This is all great information.

The holster I bought completely covers the trigger. what is that considered ? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAZ4BFY..
if i do want to carry in my home, I will unlikely be wearing bottoms with a belt! I will need to revisit my options later.

I've seen that video before and it's terrifying. I do need to find the time to train more. It's been a few weeks since I've been on the range.
Old 08-20-2018, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerchild View Post
At this point, it doesn't even matter that the posters are not mothers. This is all great information.

The holster I bought completely covers the trigger. what is that considered ? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAZ4BFY..
if i do want to carry in my home, I will unlikely be wearing bottoms with a belt! I will need to revisit my options later.

I've seen that video before and it's terrifying. I do need to find the time to train more. It's been a few weeks since I've been on the range.
That holster will do just fine. That looks like a real good choice!

As far as gun belts go, my wife initially fought it. And fought it. And fought it. She wore it when we went to Front Sight's 4 Day Defensive Handgun class (highly recommend it!). However, casually was another story. Finally got her one she liked (Carhartt). That got her used to wearing a belt. Then, after a while, I showed her how much it was sagging with a gun on it. Got her to wear her 5.11 belt. MUCH better! Now, she is comfortable wearing a full size XD-m 4.5" in 45 ACP around the house. She even carried a full size 1911! (My beloved Les Baer!).

So, take it in little steps.

Be safe.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-20-2018, 9:36 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by castgold View Post
There is a risk of a lower back injury when these are worn and the person carrying falls down and lands on it.
yes, and same is true with a pistol at the side on a belt. a fall to the side could break a hip.

every option requires a "risk assessment" and only the one wearing the holster can decide what is acceptable.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 08-21-2018, 6:41 AM

While I am not a female, I do have lots of female customers in the same situation as you.

Keep in mind the mechanical push-button handgun safes as well. Inexpensive electronics can be unreliable and short lived (all electronic ones are throw-aways as no parts are available). Also, most electronics fail without warning where mechanical locks usually give you some signs that they need some attention before there is a situation that you get locked out.

Biometrics at this price point are not the best available by any means as some people have said the problems they have encountered, not to mention FRR (False Rejection Rates). Not easy to find as most manufacturers don't just disclose it openly without some digging.

The "Simplex" style locks are proven very reliable and durable with a 60+ year track record. The safes that use them are usually constructed of thicker steel and when bolted down can be significantly more secure against theft if that's a concern. They are just as quick as any electronic safe (keep in mind there could be a delay as some biometrics need to "wake up" before it processes your print). You will need to remember your combination though with any push-button lock whether electronic or mechanical.

FAS1 SAFE
Old 08-24-2018, 10:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hi, I recently purchased a gun for home protection and DROS ended on Saturday. Before I bring the gun home, I want to purchase a safe. I'm debating on whether to get a simple key safe or one of those bio-metric safes (Gunbox, Vaultek, Barska, Viking, etc). My husband is working a lot of the time and it's just me and my two daughters at home (4 yrs old and younger).

If you use a bio-metric safe, how often does it not open on first try? What other alternatives are there?

Also, do you carry within your home? I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing this (yet).

Any feedback is appreciated.

OP-Let us know what you decided and how it works out for you.

Happy shooting and be safe.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-25-2018, 10:27 PM

We have two gun vaults. I keep my EDC gun in mine and my wife keeps her revolver in another one. I'm in and out of mine every day and havn't had an issue other than goofing up the sequence occasionally. If I had to replace them I would go with a bio metric/fingerprint safe.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-28-2018, 9:05 AM

Quote:
OP-Let us know what you decided and how it works out for you.

As much as online is great, I physically went to Costco and Home Depot looking at their offerings, no luck there. I viewed all the links mentioned. FAS1's comment backed up a friend of mine's so I might be looking more at mechanical safes. Needless to say, the search is still on..

Newbie question, do you all keep your gun loaded in the safe? I suppose that makes sense for the middle-of-the-night situations. I'm also looking into getting a flashlight.
Old 08-28-2018, 9:48 AM

Quote:
As much as online is great, I physically went to Costco and Home Depot looking at their offerings, no luck there. I viewed all the links mentioned. FAS1's comment backed up a friend of mine's so I might be looking more at mechanical safes. Needless to say, the search is still on..

Newbie question, do you all keep your gun loaded in the safe? I suppose that makes sense for the middle-of-the-night situations. I'm also looking into getting a flashlight.
Not being able to put your hands on some does make it harder to see the difference in brands. Most people don't have a real idea how much heavier a 25 lb. handgun safe is than a 7 lb. one is.

If you have any questions regarding the "Simplex" lock I would be glad to help. Keep in mind where and how you plan to mount it. Most can only function in one orientation properly which limits your placement options.

Also, with this type of lock you can pre-punch all or part of your combination when going to bed so that you only need to punch the last button or two to open more quickly if needed. This method would require practice and consistency to be efficient, but I have seen people do it.

As far as loaded, I do. Since mine is presented to me in exactly the same place and the trigger is covered by the holster it's impossible to grab the trigger accidentally even in the dark.

FAS1 SAFE
Old 08-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Totally agree about getting hands on. A bedside safe serves a different purpose than a regular safe (guns, valuables etc).

Main goal for our bedside safe is quick, reliable access, not safety against theft although that is necessary too. I use a Gunvault with a cable locking it to the frame of my bed. Not the most secure, but it will slow down a thief just a bit.

For a home defense pistol, must be loaded with a round in the chamber, ready to rock n roll.

Lights are a whole separate issue. Need a very bright dependable light. Another option is a weapon mounted light. I prefer this so I can keep both hands on the gun. However, in either case, training is important as issues surrounding either are present.

For a handheld, I LOVE Amy Fenix PD35 Tac. Roughly $70(?). For weapon mounted lights, we have a Streamlight TLR-1 and TLR-4(light and laser).

Happy shooting, be safe and good luck in your journey.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-29-2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
Not being able to put your hands on some does make it harder to see the difference in brands. Most people don't have a real idea how much heavier a 25 lb. handgun safe is than a 7 lb. one is.

If you have any questions regarding the "Simplex" lock I would be glad to help. Keep in mind where and how you plan to mount it. Most can only function in one orientation properly which limits your placement options.

Also, with this type of lock you can pre-punch all or part of your combination when going to bed so that you only need to punch the last button or two to open more quickly if needed. This method would require practice and consistency to be efficient, but I have seen people do it.

As far as loaded, I do. Since mine is presented to me in exactly the same place and the trigger is covered by the holster it's impossible to grab the trigger accidentally even in the dark.
What is that a picture of? A coin and..?

Am I reading that last part right? Your loaded gun is in a holster in the safe?
Old 08-29-2018, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I'm assuming the other thing is the corner of a safe. Which one, I'm not sure. That is to give you an idea of the thickness of the walls of the safe. I don't believe that a quick access safe such as a Gunvault is meant or designed to withstand someone trying to get in thru the walls of the safe. They are very easy to defeat the locking mechanism or latch with some brute force. They are more of a deterrent for the child or teenager in your house.

As far as keeping your nightstand gun in a safe in a holster, I'm a little torn on that. I personally wouldn't. But, then again, we don't have children and we keep our safes open at night and during the day when we are home. The gun is easily accessible and no further hurdles are presented when split seconds can mean the difference between life & death.* Both of our nightstand guns are Springfield XD series which have a grip safety. This means that we must have a solid grip before the gun will go off. So, I'm very, very, very confident that we won't have a negligent discharge while pulling the gun out of the safe. (Not saying it's impossible cuz...).

Happy shooting & be safe.

*ETA: This to me is similar to leaving the chamber empty with a full mag and having to chamber a round before your gun is ready to use (Israeli carry).
M&P 15 (Mine)

Last edited by XDJYo; 08-29-2018 at 5:50 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:

That is correct and that is the thickness of the safe. It it bolted down so it's pretty secure as far as handgun safes go. The handgun is automatically presented to you via gas spring when the correct combination is entered.

FAS1 SAFE
Old 08-30-2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
They are very easy to defeat the locking mechanism or latch with some brute force. They are more of a deterrent for the child or teenager in your house.
Not all are the same just as all full size RSC's are not equal. While the primary function of a quick access safe for most is to keep the kids out, some people opt to keep a dedicated home defense in theirs all the time, even when away from home. In those cases theft might be a consideration on how they secure their weapons, including the one by their bed.

My approach is to at least make them work a little more and they might just get deterred enough to grab your TV or something easier. It has worked in real life.

From a customer: "Wanted to let you know that a few weeks ago we had a burglary and the dude found the FAS1 by my bed and it appears he tried to pry it open and failed. He got away with plenty of stuff, and the stack on security cabinet didn't keep him from some of my long guns... but he didn't get my pistols, thanks in part to your product."

FAS1 SAFE
Old 09-06-2018, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrChuch View Post
We also have two little ones and use the SentrySafe biometric. Honestly, I am amazed at how well the biometrics work. It picks up attempts I expect to fail to the point where i then have someone else try it or a different finger, just to make sure. It opens great for us and no one else. I bought mine off amazon, but they can be found at costco.

SentrySafe Pistol Safe, Quick Access Biometric Gun Safe, One Pistol Capacity
I had that one and it worked well. You can code it to the 4 buttons as well as the biometric so you get the best of both worlds.
Old 09-10-2018, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomBytes View Post

I like seeing the HELPFUL posts even if they aren't from moms or women! I've always gotten the impression there aren't many women on calguns (and i'm guilty of not coming to this part of the forum too often because there never seems to be too many posts.)

I like that, in the absence of the women themselves posting... that the guys are here helping the OP get the info she wants and needs based by relaying what their wives/girlfriends/significant others use/do!
Old 09-10-2018, 8:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_toaster View Post
I like seeing the HELPFUL posts even if they aren't from moms or women! I've always gotten the impression there aren't many women on calguns (and i'm guilty of not coming to this part of the forum too often because there never seems to be too many posts.)

I like that, in the absence of the women themselves posting... that the guys are here helping the OP get the info she wants and needs based by relaying what their wives/girlfriends/significant others use/do!
I wish we saw more posts/threads by women in general. My wife also shoots, but isn't really one to post on CG at all. She just isn't an internet type of gal. I am constantly trying to get her to try new things, new holsters, new belts, new ways of carry. But, she is just resistant to new ideas a lot of the time. Once she tries it though, she usually comes to see a new point of view.

All different tools in the tool boxes. Some things, you just have to live with to see if it works for you or not.

Whenever I can, I try to post what her experiences are in the threads I do come across (and not just in the Ladies forum).

Happy shooting and be safe!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-10-2018, 9:14 AM

Quote:

I like that, in the absence of the women themselves posting...
This forum used to be pretty active with women shooters discussing a great and many things.

Though, in my opinion, posts started to decline when reading and posting on calguns from cell phones became standard. When visiting calguns from a cell phone or the tapatalk app, the user sees new threads, but can't tell what forum they're in. So, unfortunately, we had a bunch of guys coming into the Women's Forum to make inappropriate and goofball comments to and about women, which is against the rules here. When they got a slap on the wrist, they'd try to make excuses and say, "Oh, well I didn't know it was the Womens Forum because I'm posting from my phone." So now you'll see some of us posting huge disclaimers (THIS POST IS IN THE WOMENS FORUM) at the tops of our posts so people on cell phones would know before responding with a dumb comment towards women.

Quote:
I wish we saw more posts/threads by women in general.
We're here - it's just that many of us don't have obviously female user names. You may be conversing with women in other threads and not realize it.

But, yes, we're happy to have the gentlemen here sharing helpful ideas and such. I'm not a mom; so, unfortunately, I am short on ideas for the OP.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I wish we saw more posts/threads by women in general.
Most times, in the other areas of the forum... all the guys just assume i'm another guy!? I even added my signature to help alleviate that problem!

even though I mention my hubby from time-to-time... I guess they just assume i'm a guy with a hubby?

Last edited by pink_toaster; 09-11-2018 at 1:11 PM..
Old 09-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Most times, in the other areas of the forum... all the guys just assume i'm another guy!? I even added my signature to help alleviate that problem!

even though mention my hubby from time-to-time... I guess they just assume i'm a guy with a hubby?
This is California after all. There is a decent presence of the gay population on here.

Thanks for the Sig line, it helps.

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-12-2018, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post

Though, in my opinion, posts started to decline when reading and posting on calguns from cell phones became standard. When visiting calguns from a cell phone or the tapatalk app, the user sees new threads, but can't tell what forum they're in.
I was wondering how so many men saw my post. That explains it!
Old 09-22-2018, 7:18 AM

Hi summerchild,

My advice is to stay away from biometric and electronic safes. Go with a mechanical safe with key override. R&D of my former employing agency told me to buy this one: https://www.shotlock.com/handgun. I did.

BTW, I commend you for becoming proactive in protecting your kids and yourself.
Old 09-30-2018, 3:38 AM

THIS THREAD IS IN THE WOMEN'S FORUM. WE WELCOME POSTS FROM GENTLEMEN IF THEY ARE CIVIL AND CONSTRUCTIVE.

For the OP:

Let me start with this: The purpose of home defense, is to defend YOU and your kids. Forget defending the house itself, the TV, the jewelry, the cash. Forget catching or chasing the Bad Guy. Don't go all territorial. The stuff can all be replaced. Your children can't. If you can get to your car safely, grab your kids and GET OUT, crashing down the garage door if necessary. You can always call 911 from down the block.

Now then:

In my not-so-humble opinion, the only purpose of a handgun in home-defense is to fight your way to your shotgun. You DO have a shotgun, right?

Your plan should be,
  1. get your handgun,
  2. collect your children,
  3. collect your shotgun and cell phone
  4. lock yourself and the kids in the (dark) bathroom
  5. sit everybody in the cast iron tub, load, rack and point the shotgun, shut the shower door and dial 911
  6. set off your house alarm from your cell phone, if you can.

Do NOT go creeping around the house in the dark, with a loaded gun, looking for the intruder. Sit in the tub and make him come to you. If he doesn't and just takes stuff that you've insured (it IS insured, right?), who cares? If he leaves before the cops arrive, great.

If you put a light on your handgun, or use a flashlight in a dark house, he knows where YOU are, but you don't know where HE is. Bad !

And trust me, you have a MUCH better chance of actually hitting a Bad Guy with a shotgun, when you are scared and under pressure. Especially if you know precisely where he is. And he IS in the bathroom door, right? Really.

I keep a loaded-but-not-racked Glock handy in the house. Nothing in the chamber, until I rack it, but I can rack faster than I can take off the safety on my 1911. Cause that's what I practice at the range. I think it's nuts to keep a chambered round in a house with children in it.

I keep my shotgun loaded but not racked. Same thing.

AND, a windowless bathroom makes a really good panic room (all that ceramic tile and a cast iron tub) Especially if you replace the hollow-core door with a solid core, or even steel, and put a decent dead-bolt with 3" screws on it.

Forget the nonsense about creeping around a dark house trying to surprise an intruder. That's only in the movies, or for idiots. I can't think of a better way to get yourself or your kids killed. Lie in wait, don't give away your position, call for help and stay PUT. If you're really serious, or really scared, you can do drills with your kids from time to time, training them to move quickly and quietly to the master bath and hop in the tub. Say "Time for the Turtle Game..."

Our friend Savannah is the shotgun expert here. She mentioned keeping her home-defense shotgun in a wall lock, I think in her bedroom closet. Handy, locked and pretty grandkid-proof. I think it was a "shotlock". Here's a link. http://https://www.shotlock.com/shotgun

And in the craziest court room ever, and don't lets talk about 'stand your ground', no one is ever going to question who was at fault if you shoot an intruder after he busted down the door of an upstairs bathroom with your kids in it.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 09-30-2018 at 3:49 PM..
Old 10-03-2018, 8:31 AM

This handgun safe: https://www.amazon.com/Winchester-De...r+handgun+safe is an excellent bargain. It's made of 14 gauge steel, same as ShotLoack, yet it used to be a third of ShotLock's price. It's key lock only. I'm good with that.

Biometrics require batteries. Mechanical locks don't. You won't worry whether your safe will unlock due to lack of electricity.

I did but a copy of the Defender for fifty bucks. It was too good a deal to let side. I'm going to keep it in my car.