Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-25-2022, 8:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Recommended training in So Cal

My girlfriend and I just got our first handguns. She bought a 5” XD9 and I have a Glock 21 in jail. We have talked about going to some training sessions together. I mostly shoot rifles and she’s pretty new to guns in general. I figured it would be best for us to learn from someone more qualified. What recommendations are there? What should we be looking for?

Last edited by Bhobbs; 04-25-2022 at 8:32 PM..
Old 04-25-2022, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
My girlfriend and I just got our first handguns. She bought a 5” XD9 and I have a Glock 21 in jail. We have talked about going to some training sessions together. I mostly shoot rifles and she’s pretty new to guns in general. I figured it would be best for us to learn from someone more qualified. What recommendations are there? What should we be looking for?
Start with this thread?

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1568102
[2019] Your Favorite Firearm Training Groups in SoCal - POLL OPEN!!!!

_
Old 04-25-2022, 11:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Start with a NRA Basic Pistol class. That will get you the basics and safety. https://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx

Then look into more advanced training to work on fundimentals, accuracy, speed, and holster work.
Old 04-26-2022, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

After your basic class check out Tactical Hyve. https://tacticalhyve.com/
I have taken a few classes through them. Very good training. Their force on force class is eye opening and worth every penny.
Old 05-01-2022, 1:53 AM

Basic intermediate and advanced handgun… look up phoenix tactical. Maani is a pro. Excellent teacher and no one teaches fundamentals better.
Old 05-01-2022, 6:50 AM
Veteran Member

Any local indoor range near you? Most usually have some basic intro to pistol classes. I signed the wife up in a "ladies class" and it seemed good from her perspective.
Old 05-01-2022, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict

OP: I reread your first post and want to make a couple of comments.

First, I commend you for getting training so early in your firearms journey. Many don't and seriously lack saftey and form bad habits that take more time and money to brake in the future. Kudos.

Second, I noticed you said "going to some training sessions together." Its is great that both of you will get formal training. As a firearms trainer for many years, training many couples, please hear me out of what I have seen, over and over.

Initial training, as a couple, is not desirable. Both of you taking the same class is good, but framing it as a "couples event" is a road to disaster. Let me explain. People learn at different paces. People need to be in a space that they can learn at their own pace without external pressures sabotaging it. The interpersonal relationship between a husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend is complicated and strong. It is detrimental to learning if this is interjected into firearms training. It is typical in most training to break students into teams of two for exercises where on is the shooter and one observes and offers correction. Typical "student/teacher" method. When couples are teamed up, the interpersonal relationship comes into play. Some examples I have seen many times:

If the boyfriend is a slower learner/less accurate: bruised ego leads to embarrassment, frustration, anger, gets snappy with girlfriend who gets defensive and frustrated. "honey, your not doing it the way the instructor showed you." Yes I am, stop criticizing me, your not an expert"

If the girlfriend is a slower learner/less accurate: leads to embarrassment, frustration, crying, and boyfriend getting impatient. "Honey, do it like he showed you!" "I'm trying!!!" "Thats now what he showed us!" "Stop yelling at me!" "Then do it like the instructor, jesus, its not that hard."

Basically, it becomes an emotional Jerry Springer show and learning stops happening. Don't do this. Take classes together, but DO NOT be partners. Partner up with strangers who wont take corrections personally. You get "You left your finger on the trigger a little too long after you came off target" "Shoot, your right, I gotta work on that, thanks" instead of the examples above.

Good luck in your firearms journey.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I appreciate the advice and it makes a lot of sense. We’ve been shooting together. I own a number of rifles but this is my first handgun. This is her first firearm.

I don’t pretend to be an expert. I’m an ok shooter in general but don’t have much experience with handguns. She doesn’t have a lot of experience with guns, in general but she is pretty accurate with a handgun. She already shoots them better than me and it doesn’t bother me in the least.

I want to go so we both can get expert help. I’ve shown her to the best of my abilities but they are far from complete. I also thought it would be a good time to do something together. I don’t mind possibly being split up but it may make her a little nervous.
Old 05-03-2022, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

If you two have a great dynamic, awesome. There are "Women only" Classes are popular for ladies why don't want the pressure of shooting with a bunch of alpha males/ husbands/boyfriends, etc. putting pressure on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don’t mind possibly being split up but it may make her a little nervous.
Old 05-03-2022, 9:10 PM

Look at greg block extremely affordable and very good for beginners.
Old 05-13-2022, 8:34 AM

ITTS is a good school for beginners. Over the years, I've witnessed numerous couples taking courses together. They're good for beginners.

They also offer private lessons if you want to go at your own pace without others around you.

Haley Strategic comes out to Bakersfield a couple times per year for pistol and carbine courses. D5 is the basic course. Even though I've seen new shooters there, I wouldn't recommend it for someone who's never shot a gun before since the courses are usually filled with people affiliated with local agencies.
Old 05-13-2022, 8:35 PM

Top Gun Training Centre has a Ladies only course. Looks like they run it every month.
https://www.topguntrainingcentre.com...istolcraft.asp
Old 05-14-2022, 10:19 PM

Mark from FirstDefence_USA on Instagram is amazing. Also right_2bear on Instagram is also great and both in southern California