Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 05-19-2020, 5:35 PM

Default XD or Glock for IDPA/ IPSCA?

Hello all:

Are XD parts just as plentiful and cheap? Are there components that break a lot? Why retrain my brain with the Glock when I have a XD already?

I'm looking for advice and experience from long-term shooting/ owners of XDs. I want to get into shooting at Hotshots after COVID, and sell either my XD9 or Glock 23 (.40/9mm bbl). I'm leaning towards the XD9 as I found that my natural grip and point-of-aim (POA) is inline with the 1911/ XD angle. With the Glock, I found the barrel pointing high.

Thanks!

Henry
Bay Area
USN Seabees

Pew Pew
Roadstar Warrior
Duc Monster 1k
Celica All-Trac
Old 05-19-2020, 6:05 PM

Default XD or Glock for IDPA/ IPSCA?

Okay so I have 22,000 rounds on my XD9-Tactical. We shot Steel Madness; sort of USPSA without the multitude of rules.
Anyway XD used by many here , easier to draw & shoot imho.
No breaks. But with the lighter trigger I had installed a few ftf’s and a rare dbl-fire. I suggest do not lighten trigger much if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by maxit; 05-19-2020 at 6:08 PM..
Old 05-19-2020, 6:18 PM

I don't have an XD, but the general principle of IDPA is to shoot what you carry. That's kind of the point. It's still a speed game, so shooting what you are good/fast with is also a good idea. And you don't need to trick out a gun for IDPA, there's division just for factory guns. I can't imagine there's really a reason not use the XD.
Old 05-19-2020, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by showerbabies View Post
Hello all:

Are XD parts just as plentiful and cheap? Are there components that break a lot? Why retrain my brain with the Glock when I have a XD already?

I'm looking for advice and experience from long-term shooting/ owners of XDs. I want to get into shooting at Hotshots after COVID, and sell either my XD9 or Glock 23 (.40/9mm bbl). I'm leaning towards the XD9 as I found that my natural grip and point-of-aim (POA) is inline with the 1911/ XD angle. With the Glock, I found the barrel pointing high.

Thanks!
Everybody with muscle memory from any handgun but a Luger has the same issue going to Glock. Go with what you shoot best/ have muscle memory with. Lots of XD's in the IDPA Stock Service Pistol (SSP) division and very few modifications are allowed.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 05-20-2020, 2:41 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Because XDs are "Single Action" they used to be ESP only, but that changed several years back. and they're now SSP legal. As others have said shoot what you have, and can shoot well. It'll be quite sometime before you feel that your gun is going to be holding you back.

Last edited by RoundEye; 05-21-2020 at 8:12 AM..
Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 AM

Especially if you are just starting out, shot what you already own. If the question is simply which is a better pistol for IDPA then the answer is a Glock over a XD.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:11 AM

The only real issue with the XDs, at least the older ones on the roster, is the striker retaining pin if you dry fire a lot. A few places sell heavier roll pins for a couple bucks, easy to replace.
Old 05-27-2020, 5:52 PM

For high round count competition use, the XD has several shortcomings when compared to the Glock. Can you perform well with an XD, sure. But the Glock is a better choice.
Old 05-27-2020, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSA GM View Post
If the question is simply which is a better pistol for IDPA then the answer is a Glock over a XD.
Quote:
For high round count competition use, the XD has several shortcomings when compared to the Glock. Can you perform well with an XD, sure. But the Glock is a better choice.
Can you guys elaborate please?

Henry
Bay Area
USN Seabees

Pew Pew
Roadstar Warrior
Duc Monster 1k
Celica All-Trac
Old 05-28-2020, 7:41 AM

A quick answer would be:

Glock has a lighter slide and a lower bore axis, lessmuzzle flip
Glock is a simplier design with less moving parts
Glock doesnt have a grip safety.
Glock is much easier to work on
Glock probably has more aftermarket parts available
Glock parts are cheaper and easier to find
Glock trigger easy to tune to a sub 2lbs pull.
Glock has better factory support.
Glocks are easier to work on (try R&R'ing the grip safety spring on an XD)

Again if you are just starting out shoot whatever you have, shooting skills are always more important then the platform you are using so use the money to buy ammo and range time. But if you are taking competition seriously you should look at buying a platform that offers the most advantages even if right now they dont seem that important.
Old 05-29-2020, 7:45 AM

Quote:
But it's so much more fun when you beat a Glock guy with an XD (or any other gun Glockaholics hate on)
Old 05-29-2020, 8:18 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
But it's so much more fun when you beat a Glock guy with an XD (or any other gun Glockaholics hate on)
Well, it happens so infrequently you have to be excited about something!
Old 05-29-2020, 9:58 AM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Well, it happens so infrequently you have to be excited about something!
Old 05-29-2020, 12:37 PM

A good enough competitor can be successful with just about any platform. And a lot of top competitors use guns that are less then ideal based on finanical considerations. This applies to support equipment as well. But if you dont have those limitations as a competitor you should try to select something that will make it the easiest to perform at your highest level. Given the original choice the Glock is the way to go in my opinion. But the Glock is a long way from the absolute best choice, I would always select a well tuned 1911/2011 or CZ/Tangfolio before a Glock if there were no other reasons besides performance to influence my selection.

But shooter skill is always the most important factor. To win you dont need a sub 1 second draw or reload, you dont need to hammer .08 splits. You need good solid skills, the ability to shoot accurately out to 40yds on demand, you need to be aware of what you can and cant do, and you need to understand the game well enough to know how to win. Finally you need enough self discpline to control your game within your own limitations.
Old 05-29-2020, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

It looks like the OP has both an XD and a Glock, and is looking to sell one and keep the other for competition.

It's not a straight up brand decision.

One is 9mm duty size, and the other is 40 compact.

Obviously compete with the Duty 9mm - Springfield.

It's been said already and in multiple different ways. Shoot what you have, and practice.

Reward yourself with a new gun when you get classified as "B".
Old 05-30-2020, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
Yes, especially my friends Chad and Scott.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Twins.jpg (94.4 KB, 160 views)
Old 07-22-2020, 1:30 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

I ran an XD 5" in competition for a lot of years. The Glock has some advantages in terms of parts availability and ease of take down, but at the beginner-to-middle levels of competitive skill, neither gun is going to give you an edge over the other.

I do recommend a better trigger and a fiber optic front sight, but that goes for either platform.

And since somebody already broke out the plaque pictures...
(both of these were with my 5" XD9)