Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:49 AM

Default SoCal civilian medical class?

Hey all,

Fairly new firearm owner here, should be picking up my first handgun and shotgun within the next week (assuming DROS doesnt get hung up), and I've been looking up different handgun and shotgun classes I can attend for some proficiency training.

That being said, another aspect of all of this I have become interested in is on the medical side. I'm planning to build a home and car first aid kit, but honestly wouldn't know the first thing about using any of the supplies beyond "put gauze on bleedy spot and press down".

Any kind of wound packing, applying chest seals, splits, tourniquets, nasopharyngeal airway, etc.. I would be clueless on.

I've been having a hard time finding some kind of class available here in SoCal that covers this sort of thing. I have found a few resources available to EMS and law enforcement, but not much the average Joe can attend.

If anybody had some advice, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-25-2020, 12:15 PM

you can start with getting CPR certified and taking a basic stop bleed class.
https://www.stopthebleed.org/
Old 04-27-2020, 6:39 AM

Start with CPR/AED/First Aid class(es) from a recognized provider such as the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. Then hit a Stop The Bleed class.

To go further in your first aid education take a look at Wilderness/Remote First Aid offered by REI/NOLS or American Red Cross. If you have a kid in youth sports (or play in an adult league) Red Cross offers a Sports First Aid for coaches. There's a decent amount of overlap between these two but it covers more of the non-bleeding first aid topics.

I have used my non-bleeding first aid knowledge (CPR/AED/heat issues) orders of magnitude more times than the bleeding stuff. Doesn't mean I don't have TQ's and wound dressings around.
Old 04-27-2020, 6:40 AM

Start with CPR/AED/First Aid class(es) from a recognized provider such as the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. Then hit a Stop The Bleed class.

To go further in your first aid education take a look at Wilderness/Remote First Aid offered by REI/NOLS or American Red Cross. If you have a kid in youth sports (or play in an adult league) Red Cross offers a Sports First Aid for coaches. There's a decent amount of overlap between these two but it covers more of the non-bleeding first aid topics.

I have used my non-bleeding first aid knowledge (CPR/AED/heat issues) orders of magnitude more times than the bleeding stuff. Doesn't mean I don't have TQ's and wound dressings around.
Old 04-27-2020, 7:48 AM

nols.edu
wilderness first responder - well rounded class that touches on a lot of medical situations

you can take nols classes through Rei
https://www.rei.com/events/a/wilderness-medicine
Old 04-27-2020, 9:12 AM

1. Cpr/AED
2. Stop the bleed training

3. Wilderness First Aid (WFA) OR Wilderness First Responder (WFR)

That order would be preferable.
WFA is cheaper and requires less time. Good all around knowledge. WFR is close to $1000 and is geared towards first responders. Larger time commitment.

Between step 2 and 3 is a good idea to honestly ask yourself why you want training. Is it to cover you and your friends/family in case of an emergency? Do you want to learn how to properly treat and evaluate others? There is a delicate line in the medical field. Basically you "know just enough to be dangerous" a simple error made with a chest seal or an airways can make the situation worse or even kill your patient.

My recommendation is to seek a path that's well rounded.
Old 04-27-2020, 9:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

https://sierrarescue.com/

I took BLS/CPR at Glendale CC then went up to Coloma, CA for River Rescue Cert in Dec. Beautiful campground to stay at. Give them a call. They'll point you in the right direction.