Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-31-2019, 6:42 PM

Default If you don't drink while carrying then you're fine but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronob View Post
I'm one of the many alcohol business owners in the county. I carry large sums of cash and possess high-valuable assets at my place of business (alcohol and the equipment used to make it). My business is also located in the county, not within incorporated city limits. I understand that some(?) county's CCW permits state that you cannot consume alcohol or carry in a bar. Does this expand further and prohibit me from carrying in 1) places that manufacture alcohol and/or 2) a tasting room? If so, will the sheriff just reject me (either because it's illegal or they just plain don't like the idea of it) or could I make the case that I only carry when outside of my business going to the bank and such? Does anyone have any advice for me?
You really should not take ANY legal advice from ANYONE on this site. Call the Under Sheriff. You will most likely get their VM but they will call you back.
Having said that...I go into bars carrying all the time when I pick up my to go order on my way home from work. Did so tonight actually. Obviously you should not sit at the bar and much less have "just one beer". If someone cannot forgo alcohol while carrying then they shouldn't have a CCW.
Since your job puts you in places that serve alcohol (I'm going to assume that you do not drink on the job) then I am willing to bet the Under Sheriff will say you're fine to carry there. But again do not listen to me and ask him. Please let us know the outcome.
Old 02-14-2019, 4:15 PM

Got the final approval notice today, originally applied December 20, 2018. Was notified the application was approved and to take classes January 8, 2019, wasn’t able to get class until February 5, so I scheduled interview February 12. Received notice today February 14 saying the permit will be issued and wait for a call to come pick it up. The process was easy online, fast and efficient on the county’s end too. The slowest part of the whole procedure was the lack of classes and time to take them in SLO. Anyway, overall a smooth process I’d say as long as your good cause can pass muster.
Old 02-15-2019, 7:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeTownFF View Post
Got the final approval notice today, originally applied December 20, 2018. Was notified the application was approved and to take classes January 8, 2019, wasn’t able to get class until February 5, so I scheduled interview February 12. Received notice today February 14 saying the permit will be issued and wait for a call to come pick it up. The process was easy online, fast and efficient on the county’s end too. The slowest part of the whole procedure was the lack of classes and time to take them in SLO. Anyway, overall a smooth process I’d say as long as your good cause can pass muster.
So, do you live in a SLO Co city with it's own PD or not?

Can you give us a rough idea of your Good Cause, but without so much detail as to ID yourself? (e.g., name your business' industry, but not your business)
Old 02-15-2019, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
So, do you live in a SLO Co city with it's own PD or not?

Can you give us a rough idea of your Good Cause, but without so much detail as to ID yourself? (e.g., name your business' industry, but not your business)
I’m just outside of Paso Robles, paso address but SLO county jurisdiction. I come into contact with a lot of gangmembers, drug addicts etc for work out of the county. Additionally I carry large sums of cash after events for a non profit. Feel free to PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 2:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I’m just outside of Paso Robles, paso address but SLO county jurisdiction. I come into contact with a lot of gangmembers, drug addicts etc for work out of the county. Additionally I carry large sums of cash after events for a non profit. Feel free to PM.
Thanks. You'd probably get issued even under light red, if they're square dealing.
Old 03-09-2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travismate View Post
In town unincorporated north county
As usual, SLO Sheriff applies one set of rules for incorporated city limits, and another for their own jurisdiction...
Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
As usual, SLO Sheriff applies one set of rules for incorporated city limits, and another for their own jurisdiction...
That much is clear. Move to north county, out of city limits, and you'll get your CCW.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know how long the wait usually is from the SLOSO after you were approved and just waiting for the fingerprints to come back to pick up your permit?
Old 03-16-2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoguy14 View Post
Does anyone know how long the wait usually is from the SLOSO after you were approved and just waiting for the fingerprints to come back to pick up your permit?
I was told some crazy number like 14 weeks, but got a call 2 days later to come pick it up.
Old 03-21-2019, 5:38 AM
Veteran Member

If I recall, my whole process was about 5 weeks. Most of that time was waiting on the live scan which at the time was about 10-12 days. I am in rural north county too.
Old 03-21-2019, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mikado View Post
OK, I went by GBPD (they have nothing on their website) and asked for an application. I asked the desk person (non-sworn) if GB was set to auto-deny and she said no, they are "friendly" to CCW applications.

The application still requires a GC, of course, so they aren't THAT friendly.

Still, though: anyone get a CCW from Grover Beach?
Chief Peters does indeed issue LTC.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 PM

I live in Arroyo Grande. Submitted my CCW application around 1/1. Recently picked up my permit so it took about 2 1/2 months from start to finish.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:03 PM

Meant 3 1/2 months not 2 1/2 months.
Old 03-23-2019, 2:49 PM

My whole prorecess for North County Rural was around 4 weeks and the finger printing check took 5 days. Everyone was super nice and friendly !
Old 03-28-2019, 3:45 PM

I had the same experience as Morbius. North County unincorporated res. SO was good at all levels.
Old 07-17-2019, 6:54 PM

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I've read the last several pages and don't remember this being addressed... online it says that you need to provide 3 reference letters demonstrating good character. How long are these letters supposed to be - a few sentences or a paragraph? Will letters from friends fulfill this requirement or are they looking for more professional unbiased references?
Old 07-17-2019, 9:47 PM

I found an example letter on the web I used as a starting point. Here's a link to it. Letters from friends is all that is needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bftxc8v3tv...rmit.docx?dl=0
Old 07-18-2019, 9:44 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
OK, I went by GBPD (they have nothing on their website) and asked for an application. I asked the desk person (non-sworn) if GB was set to auto-deny and she said no, they are "friendly" to CCW applications.

So its been almost 6 months. Any status updates?

"Friendly" has nothing to do with the application asking for Good Cause. Its a DoJ application and Ca law requires it. What matters is what is acceptable to the CoP as good cause and if he's "friendly" he'll accept "Self defense" or something close to it.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 07-18-2019, 8:46 PM

Unfortunately, "self defense" by itself is insufficient. The following link provides more detail on good cause requirements.

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
Old 12-20-2019, 10:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecatt View Post
I live in Arroyo Grande. Submitted my CCW application around 1/1. Recently picked up my permit so it took about 2 1/2 months from start to finish.
Without giving so much detail as to ID yourself, can you share what your Good Cause was like?

Last edited by Paladin; 12-21-2019 at 11:43 AM..
Old 12-20-2019, 10:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Did you ever apply w/GBPD? If so, what was the outcome and what was your GC like (but not so much detail as to ID yourself)?

Old 12-20-2019, 10:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Chief Peters does indeed issue LTC.
Do you have any insight on minimal acceptable GC? My list of GCs in this linked post may help you determine what he'd accept or deny.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post23662809

Old 12-20-2019, 10:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbius View Post
My whole prorecess for North County Rural was around 4 weeks and the finger printing check took 5 days. Everyone was super nice and friendly !
What was your GC like (but not so much detail as to ID yourself)?

Last edited by Paladin; 12-21-2019 at 11:44 AM..
Old 12-20-2019, 10:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8glfr View Post
I had the same experience as Morbius. North County unincorporated res. SO was good at all levels.
What was your GC like (but not so much detail as to ID yourself)?

Last edited by Paladin; 12-21-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-20-2019, 10:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecatt View Post
Unfortunately, "self defense" by itself is insufficient. The following link provides more detail on good cause requirements.

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

That link is to San Diego Co. Sheriff's Office, not SLO. Each sheriff gets to decide on what they'll accept as sufficient GC. This thread is about SLO Sheriff and what he'll accept as sufficient GC.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Do you have any insight on minimal acceptable GC? My list of GCs in this linked post may help you determine what he'd accept or deny.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post23662809
Paladin i just moved to Grover Beach in July and though i haven't gotten around to applying yet, I did meet with Chief Peters and got some insight on issuance. He approves about half of applications, perhaps a bit less than county sheriff (which is the next stop if you get denied at the city level). What i recall is that he is personally 2A-friendly, but sometimes applicants put too much in their GC and that actually hurts them because of other concerns raised. (I met with him because i was considering offering ccw classes up here like i did in OC, but i decided not to do that because of all the different jurisdictions involved and different testing requirements.)
CRPA Mag Must Retract Erroneous Bulletin Slamming Gun Trusts
Radio ads: http://Protect.FM
FREE training: http://guntrust.org
FREE design meeting: http://Protect.LIFE
Old 12-21-2019, 11:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntrust View Post
Paladin i just moved to Grover Beach in July and though i haven't gotten around to applying yet, I did meet with Chief Peters and got some insight on issuance. He approves about half of applications, perhaps a bit less than county sheriff (which is the next stop if you get denied at the city level). What i recall is that he is personally 2A-friendly, but sometimes applicants put too much in their GC and that actually hurts them because of other concerns raised. (I met with him because i was considering offering ccw classes up here like i did in OC, but i decided not to do that because of all the different jurisdictions involved and different testing requirements.)
Now that is a tricky answer since other posters says that SLO readily issues to county only residents, but not readily to county residents in cities with their own PDs. IOW, the sheriff uses two different GC standards depending upon LE jurisdiction you're under, city vs county, to the point that living in the city means the Sheriff will use a Light Red to Yellow GC standard against you vs Light Green for the rest of the county. (See my list of GCs and Colors at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post23662809). Or do you believe that is not true?

Care to elaborate on the 2nd part I bolded?

Last edited by Paladin; 12-21-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Old 12-21-2019, 12:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Now that is a tricky answer since other posters says that SLO readily issues to county only residents, but not readily to county residents in cities with their own PDs. IOW, the sheriff uses two different GC standards depending upon LE jurisdiction you're under, city vs county, to the point that living in the city means the Sheriff will use a Light Red to Yellow GC standard against you vs Light Green for the rest of the county. (See my list of GCs and Colors at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post23662809). Or do you believe that is not true?

Care to elaborate on the 2nd part I bolded?
I'm fairly certain that the Sheriff is requiring application first with local PD, and that makes a lot of sense to me in terms of subsidiarity and "knowing your customer" although as a ccw instructor i miss how easy OC made it. So maybe that requirement (obviously a sheriff requirement as under CA code either IA would suffice) is implemented with the bifurcated GC rule you mentioned. But i can only guess now as i haven't started that process. I do recall Chief Peters telling me that if he denies, the applicant can then apply with the sheriff and that their approval rate is a bit higher. I could see the county sheriff giving some deference to a local chief's denial and concerns, but to actually discriminate with a different standard for GC based on where you live in the county? i think that would be arbitrary and unreasonable, problematic under administrative law.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that the Sheriff is requiring application first with local PD, and that makes a lot of sense to me in terms of subsidiarity and "knowing your customer" although as a ccw instructor i miss how easy OC made it. So maybe that requirement (obviously a sheriff requirement as under CA code either IA would suffice) is implemented with the bifurcated GC rule you mentioned. But i can only guess now as i haven't started that process. I do recall Chief Peters telling me that if he denies, the applicant can then apply with the sheriff and that their approval rate is a bit higher.
That's great news: it gives city residents two chances to get a CA CCW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
That much is clear. Move to north county, out of city limits, and you'll get your CCW.
Quote:
I could see the county sheriff giving some deference to a local chief's denial and concerns, but to actually discriminate with a different standard for GC based on where you live in the county? i think that would be arbitrary and unreasonable, problematic under administrative law.
Now to determine whether the Sheriff uses 2 different GC standards, or if it is a case of being rural inherently means you'll pass it (long LE response times, spotty cell coverage) whereas city residents have to have some other GC....

Last edited by Paladin; 12-21-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Old 01-05-2020, 1:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Question: Does the sheriff allow you to apply with the county's SO if your CCW app is denied by a city's PD? IOW, do you get 2 chances for a CCW if you live in an incorporated city with its own PD in SLO Co?
Old 05-11-2020, 3:02 PM
Veteran Member

Just picked up my renewed permit for another 2 years of carry. Everything is done online now. No more dropping off papers at the sheriff office.
Also, if you are renewing during Covid-19, they are allowing you to renew without your 4hr class, they will give you your new permit and then you have 60 days to do the course. This is for renewals only.
Old 05-12-2020, 9:24 PM

I got mine last September. It was easier than I thought. Took less than a month from my class (8 hours at range masters). I live in the county thankfully, a hair outside of SLO.
Old 05-12-2020, 9:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOguns87 View Post
I got mine last September. It was easier than I thought. Took less than a month from my class (8 hours at range masters). I live in the county thankfully, a hair outside of SLO.
So last I saw, they appear Yellow on the CCW map.

iTrader
Old 05-13-2020, 9:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
So last I saw, they appear Yellow on the CCW map.
Yeah, in SLO Co, but outside of cities w/their own PDs, probably Yellow to Light Green.

In SLO Co, but inside of a city w/its own PD, probably Yellow to Light Red.

Hopefully, we'll hear good news from SCOTUS re. Carry before July 1st.

But I'd still like to know the answer to:

Quote:
Question: Does the sheriff allow you to apply with the county's SO if your CCW app is denied by a city's PD? IOW, do you get 2 chances for a CCW if you live in an incorporated city with its own PD in SLO Co?
Old 08-06-2020, 4:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
NOTE:

If you are a resident of the:

City of Arroyo Grande
City of Atascadero
City of Grover Beach
City of Morro Bay
City of Paso Robles
City of Pismo Beach
City of San Luis Obispo
you will need to contact the law enforcement agency in the city to apply for your Concealed Carry Weapon license per California Penal Code section 26155.

If you live in a city who's PD issues and you get denied, you should ask the SO if you can then apply with them.

I only found a link to the Permitium application on the SO's website:
http://www.slosheriff.org/forms_and_applications.php

Last edited by Paladin; 08-07-2020 at 6:49 PM..
Old 09-05-2020, 7:54 PM

Hey everyone. I will be moving up to SLO soon and am a current CCW holder. I work in mental health, and this kind of work is related to my GC for OC, but I'm wondering what the GC politics are like in SLO and whether the County or the City is best to pursue CCW issuance with, well if at all, and where it is most advantageous to live with regard to issuance. Also any special insights into the process would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by OCResident01; 09-05-2020 at 8:13 PM..
Old 09-05-2020, 8:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Pretty sure Sheriff Parkinson wants you to show cause, only if you don't live with the boundary of some local jurisdiction. It's not a slam dunk. A CCW holder buddy of mine keeps wanting me to join the Sheriff's Auxiliary as this is supposedly some kind of fast track to a CCW in SLO County. I don't care about a CCW, in fact, I don't want the oversight thanks all the same.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 09-05-2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Pretty sure Sheriff Parkinson wants you to show cause, only if you don't live with the boundary of some local jurisdiction. It's not a slam dunk. A CCW holder buddy of mine keeps wanting me to join the Sheriff's Auxiliary as this is supposedly some kind of fast track to a CCW in SLO County. I don't care about a CCW, in fact, I don't want the oversight thanks all the same.
Thanks was this for me? I'm really new to the scene so just trying to understand. So the SLO Sheriff doesn't require substantial GC if you live within city limits? Sheriff's Auxiliary huh, well I know that would be off the table for me, no interest either. You don't care about a CCW?
Old 09-06-2020, 8:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCResident01 View Post
Thanks was this for me? I'm really new to the scene so just trying to understand. So the SLO Sheriff doesn't require substantial GC if you live within city limits? Sheriff's Auxiliary huh, well I know that would be off the table for me, no interest either. You don't care about a CCW?
I just had my CCW class today though i moved to SLO a year ago (from OC). I dragged my feet on applying and virus resulted in more delay, but should have ccw this week or next.

In SLO County if you reside in a city you must go through that city's PD. Sheriff will only take your app if you can provide denial letter from PD.

Any questions, look me up.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCResident01 View Post
No, the Sheriff won't consider you for a permit unless/until you've tried through the city you live in in SLO County. For cities south of the Cuesta Grade, denial is usually pro forma and the Sheriff doesn't hold that denial against you (but make sure you list it and provide a copy of the letter when asked that on the application). I believe both Atascadero and Paso Robles issue permits along the lines of "self-defense," although I believe that Atascadero requires you to see a shrink (I'm not sure how/if the pandemic has affected this.).

I got my permit several years ago while living in SLO city via the Sheriff, and have since moved to Paso. I've continued to renew my permit through the Sheriff's office, so I'm not sure how it works in the cities.

For the Sheriff, some sort of good cause other than the "self-defense" is necessary. I'm not sure what the "loosest" good-cause reasoning that he's accepted is. All you can do is give it a shot.

I would consider looking at the video the San Diego County Gun Owners group put out for good cause there, since that seems to me pretty similar to what the Sheriff here would look for.

https://youtu.be/1SmJvCaihT0

Editor/Founder
RestrictedArms.com