Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 03-16-2020, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

Default anyone go to GSSF Yolo, CA last weekend

I've been looking forward to this for months, and the weather combined with worldly events left it on the thin side.
Old 03-18-2020, 1:54 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
I've been looking forward to this for months, and the weather combined with worldly events left it on the thin side.
It's been a few years for me, but from what I remember Yolo was one of the nicest, and fastest ranges in SoCal. I think it has to do with how the light shines through the trees or something. The speed was mostly due to their bays as they could not go 25yds deep. Some of my fastest times have been at this match.

I was originally planning to make this, but with our limited snow days this year, I decided to take a trip the Mammoth instead only to have a Wind Hold for most lifts on Saturday morning, and then ultimately close completely around (3PM), and then the whole mountain close at 530PM. So, the family and I made the best of it and went hiking (in the snow). I probably should have brought my guns and driven the four hours. Oiy!

I think the worst part is that a storm hit on Saturday providing probably the best conditions we've seen all season on Sunday and Monday.
Old 03-18-2020, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
I think the worst part is that a storm hit on Saturday providing probably the best conditions we've seen all season on Sunday and Monday.
I ended up going Sunday, and honestly, had I not committed to skip an army drill day for it I probably would have skipped it. It ended up working out for the best, but it felt a lot like work.

Yes, the close distances are kind of hard to compare as a benchmark performance compared to other matches. That said, last year here was my first time, and my biggest mistake was underestimating how much faster I can shoot. So I went out of my way to try and remember pick it up.

Finished out my amateur status here in a dominate way with 5 of 7 wins with a 2nd and 3rd. Will only win one, and get bumped in master in 6 divisions, so some guys are going to win pistols that didn't expect to.
Old 03-18-2020, 2:44 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Finished out my amateur status here in a dominate way with 5 of 7 wins with a 2nd and 3rd. Will only win one, and get bumped in master in 6 divisions, so some guys are going to win pistols that didn't expect to.
Congratulations, and it's always a good thing to help "Share the Wealth"!
Old 03-19-2020, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
Congratulations, and it's always a good thing to help "Share the Wealth"!
I think I will ironically, "not" compete in Master Stock now that I'm a master. So I'll only do 6 divisions going forward.

My left hand literally cramped up upon release of the last magazine for the last division. So I'm looking to reduce my divisions now that I can say I did the marathon of 8.

I figure my addition to master stock is needed the least. I'll just use Unlimited as my warm up then.

Also, while fewer guns seems simpler in terms of logistics, I think I beat myself up using a G30 two more times than I otherwise needed to. I'll have to get familiar with my G21, and I'll probably get a G26 with this last certificate.
Old 03-19-2020, 2:18 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Quote:
I think I will ironically, "not" compete in Master Stock now that I'm a master. So I'll only do 6 divisions going forward.

My left hand literally cramped up upon release of the last magazine for the last division. So I'm looking to reduce my divisions now that I can say I did the marathon of 8.

I figure my addition to master stock is needed the least. I'll just use Unlimited as my warm up then.

Also, while fewer guns seems simpler in terms of logistics, I think I beat myself up using a G30 two more times than I otherwise needed to. I'll have to get familiar with my G21, and I'll probably get a G26 with this last certificate.
Split it up a bit. Shoot 4 all the way through then the other 4 or even better across 2 days. And yeah, the G30 can beat you up a bit. I used to shoot mine in HM, Sub & MajSub until I got the G21 and G26. Now just MajSub so only 60 or 70 rounds max.
Old 03-19-2020, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Was going to go this year but spent the weekend helping others prep for the kung flu.
Old 04-01-2020, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.gssfonline.com/results/2020/2020yca.pdf

Finals posted

Won my last pistol for a while (probably will be a G26), and $50 random.

I'll probably focus on the smaller guns (Pocket, Major Sub, and Sub Comp) as my best chance for a share the wealth pistol prize.

Need to really focus on consistency and remember each any every trigger pull is as important as any other trigger pull. I completely dropped the ball in the Competition Division with 10 seconds down in points. Without those alone, I was less than 0.5 sec from a share pistol prize as a master, and three other Divisions I actually only did get 1-2 sec's penalty across the board. So I "can" do it.

I also didn't leave a plate up across all 8 divisions (to include Major Sub, and Pocket). So it's not like I can't hit the A/B zone when I want to.

One last win as an Amateur, then a 3rd, 4th and 5th as a Master. But now, as a Master EVERY SINGLE LITTLE POINT DOWN is a B-I-G DEAL. So I also got a 10th, 11th, and 12th (among masters).

I need to be consistent before I even both trying to be "faster".
Old 04-01-2020, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I also didn't leave a plate up across all 8 divisions (to include Major Sub, and Pocket). So it's not like I can't hit the A/B zone when I want to.

I need to be consistent before I even both trying to be "faster".

Yeah but the plate is easy to see, the A/B not so easy.