Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2018, 1:05 PM

Default Any DIY solarwall builders here?

I am in the process of collecting a bunch of 18650s, and my goal is to start small with a 48v system. On the garage roof i have a 4.55 solar system (not fully done as ran into issues with SolarCity, i know right =)

looking to run all my networking, cameras off this new system i plan to build, then be able to run all the garage stuff and perhaps expand it to the house.
Old 11-27-2018, 4:08 PM

yall are lazy bahaha
Old 11-27-2018, 4:13 PM

So whats the question? This might have gone better in OT...
Old 12-20-2018, 5:29 PM

I know you said you're starting small. But If you have the money and time to look into it. I would look for a crashed tesla and take the battery modules. I think there's 4 in a car. If you can get all 4 that can run your garage for a week. ( week might be a long shot but I'm just saying that as an example) eBay and some car salvage yards would be your best bet. You would have a killer power wall. Used laptop batteries might be a way to get a bunch of 18650 batteries
Old 12-29-2018, 1:21 PM

A better answer would be " if you do not know what you are doing, you shouldn
Old 01-14-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaco View Post
A better answer would be " if you do not know what you are doing, you shouldn
So.... you dont go outside I'm guessing right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by press press View Post
I know you said you're starting small. But If you have the money and time to look into it. I would look for a crashed tesla and take the battery modules. I think there's 4 in a car. If you can get all 4 that can run your garage for a week. ( week might be a long shot but I'm just saying that as an example) eBay and some car salvage yards would be your best bet. You would have a killer power wall. Used laptop batteries might be a way to get a bunch of 18650 batteries
I have a pretty good supply on the 18650s which is what tesla runs. I've seen a couple tesla packs for power walls certainly a quick way to do it not cheap tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by incredablehefey View Post
So whats the question? This might have gone better in OT...
OT? No question just seeing who else in the area is working on off the grid type of stuff.

Anyways. I'll be making 24volt setup for the garage then later go for 48 volt when I'm ready for the home.
I'm making 20cell packs to learn the software and testing and at the same time I'll be making the 120 cell packs. The big packs will be 840 cells at 24 volts.

Still havent decided which inverter to go with. Will do that soon. Thinking two for redundancy and higher output if needed for welding.

Last edited by jeremyy; 01-14-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Old 05-26-2019, 9:52 PM

Slowly getting items for my home.
Old 06-06-2019, 3:04 PM

Don't you mean Powerwall?

Do you have calculations/estimates for your power production/load?

I would get the solar system in place, and once you have that measure it see what kind of performance you get and how much extra capacity you have.

Powerwall makes more sense in a big picture (citywide) implementation than an individual homeowner use right now.

Are you off-grid or something? (In LA?) If your talking welding your better off using city power for stuff like that and just use the batteries to supply day to day load.