Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-11-2021, 1:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
For HD no. Anyone breaking into my home isn't going to wait for me to put on a helmet or throw on a plate carrier and I wouldn't hang them on the way within arms reach from everywhere. In the deep of night there isn't going to be enough time to put on anything, it's grab and respond and more than likely in skivies, bare foot and not much else except that last resort price of equipment.

If I just hear a noise then it either amateurs walking around or if it's inside, they got through a good security system and the above still applies, its unlikely a helmet and plate carrier is going to make the difference. What will make the difference is who is first and who is last will be the one doing anything but fiddling with gear.
Everyone has different gear or no gear they are comfortable with. That can change too. Just a gun in your underwear is one way, but so is a belt with some mags and holster and electronic muffs. All that can be attached to whatever area or quick safe you stash your gun in. If someone also wants to have a plate carrier... you do you. If they want to add a helmet with NODS, fine. You have to decide how much time you have to "be first". Chances are people have enough sense to know not to change into an elaborate costume to check downstairs or look in the backyard. Not a bad idea to have a holster, light, phone, muffs IMHO.
Old 10-11-2021, 2:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you did have a slick carrier... like say a LBT First Responder with really light IIIA+ plates, it basically goes on like you are putting on your wife beater or your beach tank top and just about that fast. Over the head and pull down, the side straps are elastic. It really is not that elaborate FWIW. Literally 5 seconds.
Old 10-11-2021, 3:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Some here don't understand the whole concept of prepping and preparedness.

Has anyone noticed the rich people in fancy neighborhoods that got hit by a hurricane, hire security that are kitted out like SEAL team 6? What if your neighborhood isn't rich? That security falls on you and a few others in the neighborhood that have the will, skills, and the means to patrol. Do you want to patrol in your shorts and flip flops when all hell is breaking loose?

What about the riots? People knew what was coming and had plenty of time to prepare. The ones that got burned out had nothing to protect themselves with. The businesses that were left standing had armed/armored people out front/back and on the roof.

Notice the recent riots in South Africa? The regular people protecting their neighborhoods were kitted out pretty well with arms/armor. That's called being prepared.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 10-12-2021 at 1:28 PM..
Old 10-11-2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
If you did have a slick carrier... like say a LBT First Responder with really light IIIA+ plates, it basically goes on like you are putting on your wife beater or your beach tank top and just about that fast. Over the head and pull down, the side straps are elastic. It really is not that elaborate FWIW. Literally 5 seconds.
The average gunfight lasts around 3 seconds.
Old 10-11-2021, 4:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
The average gunfight lasts around 3 seconds.
What's the logical conclusion here? Get there faster with no armor? You have no idea in this scenario, if you are going to a 3 second gunfight or racoon in your trash. Probably neither.
Old 10-11-2021, 4:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What's the logical conclusion here?
Get there faster with no armor?
You have no idea in this scenario, if you are going to a 3 second gunfight or racoon in your trash.
Probably neither.
Take the 5 seconds to put on the armor before you check on the racoon in the trash because it might end up being a 3 second gunfight.
Gunfight does not start until both participants are on the field.
Old 10-11-2021, 4:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Some here don't understand the whole concept of prepping and preparedness.

Do you want to patrol in your shorts and flip flops when all hell is breaking loose?

What about the riots? People knew what was coming and had plenty of time to prepare. The ones that got burned out had nothing to protect themselves with.

The regular people protecting their neighborhoods were kitted out pretty well with arms/armor. That's called being prepared.

Yep, if you invest the time and money setting up the gear... you make the call if you want to invest the 5 seconds to don the gear or run around in flip flops and boxers... personal choice. Might be better to miss the gunfight altogether. Whether it is a belt or a carrier, takes seconds to put it on... everyone's home layout and internal security is different. If it is riots or something bigger than a possible burglar, you might be in a situation where you have all the time in the world to decide what to wear, and the police getting there at all might not be an option.

HD, most people grab a gun with a light and go... that's fine with me.
Old 10-11-2021, 4:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Take the 5 seconds to put on the armor before you check on the racoon in the trash because it might end up being a 3 second gunfight.
Gunfight does not start until both participants are on the field.
Well, that's just logical.
Old 10-11-2021, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I forgot to mention my helmet status earlier.
Aside from a Vietnam era M1 in my milsurp collection, I don’t have one. I use one of these for my NVG’s. It rolls up pretty small in the pack. I’ll probably grab a bump helmet eventually though.
Old 10-11-2021, 7:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have some of both.

Thomas Paine

Old 10-12-2021, 6:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
Anyone want some Ceradyne Level IV ceramic plates?

Boat anchors. Not bad if sitting…walking around another story, 7.8 lbs front plate only…add back/sides ~ 20 lbs.

PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
In addition to all of the above, please note that it is illegal for you to offer an "Assault Weapon" for sale while you are in California, even if the weapon is restricted to sale out of the state.
Old 10-12-2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
It's the most useless kit. Helmet straps break, bag is trash, flashlight uses d batteries that will go flat before you need them, they give u like 1 crayon.
The only useful kit is the caution tape and the pry bar.
Glad I didn't pay for it but no way in hell I'd use it if I was activated.
Old 10-13-2021, 5:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Looks like you get a ton more for an extra $20

https://www.survival-supply.com/cert...it-p-2307.html

But if the helmet is trash... no point I guess
Old 10-13-2021, 4:37 PM

I don’t have any of those but I tried the Kore battle belt and very impressed with how you can adjust it. I load mine up so I like to make it really tight when I'm shooting then relax it when needed. Seems like a great design to me so far.
Old 10-13-2021, 6:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
I forgot to mention my helmet status earlier.
Aside from a Vietnam era M1 in my milsurp collection, I don’t have one. I use one of these for my NVG’s. It rolls up pretty small in the pack. I’ll probably grab a bump helmet eventually though.
What do you call that device?
Old 10-13-2021, 6:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
Anyone want some Ceradyne Level IV ceramic plates?

Boat anchors. Not bad if sitting…walking around another story, 7.8 lbs front plate only…add back/sides ~ 20 lbs.

Agreed old ceramics are the same weight as steel... ooof. Why do that to yourself if you can have two plates that are 11 pounds for the set.

Yeah it will be nice if there are 1 pound level IV's someday, but I think having at least one 5 pound total weight option is pretty worthwhile too... and even a slick carrier probably weighs a couple pounds. Anything that is 5 pounds and stops all handgun rounds and 57... that's not bad.

Sometimes dealing with steel is like trying to swing a burlap sack full of dumbbells around your head while you have the flu.
Old 10-13-2021, 7:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Holy giant pic ^

I’ve got multiple plate carriers and armor from 2 to 4, soft and hard. I’ve used them for work for a long time. As far as a helmet goes got a old PASGT I swiped from the Army a long time ago but that’s it.
Big pic, big helmet. Big helmet, big hands.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 10-13-2021, 10:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What do you call that device?

It’s a crye precision nightcap. Takes up no room in your pack. I think a helmet is probably better, but it’s what I have for now and works good enough for what I do with nods. I just shoot steel targets at night with IR. Maybe someday hunt yotes. Also good for walking around in the woods at night.
Old 10-14-2021, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
I wouldn’t mind having a bullet proof panel that can be used as a shield in a backpack.
All three of our kids have a soft plate in their school backpacks. From the one in college to the one in elementary school. It's sad at the same time to have to think like this. But it's the reality in this day and age. Not the kind of stuff I was worried about in 2nd grade in the early 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afteractionreport View Post
It's just a part of prepping now. Hoping never to have to use it in a shift situation.

It's like the extinguisher in the kitchen. I didnt buy it because I'm planning on burning down my kitchen
^^^THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviioiive View Post
Don’t forget a shield!
They make those. Blankets too. I don't have either. Just pointing out that they are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post

In the deep of night there isn't going to be enough time to put on anything, it's grab and respond and more than likely in skivies, bare foot and not much else except that last resort price of equipment.
That's why I sleep in gym shorts and keep an old pair of running shoes right under my bed that are loosely tied and I can slip right into them if I get up in the middle of the night. But that is more in preparation for an earthquake in the middle of the night. This also makes them dual-function in some respect. Gun and flashlight by the nightstand. I don't see why you'd have some gear ready and not everything. Goes back to the "hopefully never need it but I'm glad I know it's there and ready" adage.
Old 10-14-2021, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Everyone has different gear or no gear they are comfortable with. That can change too. Just a gun in your underwear is one way, but so is a belt with some mags and holster and electronic muffs. All that can be attached to whatever area or quick safe you stash your gun in. If someone also wants to have a plate carrier... you do you. If they want to add a helmet with NODS, fine. You have to decide how much time you have to "be first". Chances are people have enough sense to know not to change into an elaborate costume to check downstairs or look in the backyard. Not a bad idea to have a holster, light, phone, muffs IMHO.
I think you should sleep with a helmet, plate carrier and all that other gear (including your gun belt). Can’t be too prepared!
Old 10-14-2021, 7:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
I think you should sleep with a helmet, plate carrier and all that other gear (including your gun belt). Can’t be too prepared!
Nah. I don't have a helmet or night vision. I will either have a belt or real light plate carrier by my handgun safe as an option. Better an option to put it on in 5 seconds if I feel like it than to be hanging in the closet. You do you.

I like a belt because it has a holster and a couple extra hand gun mags. PC has a pouch I could use to stash a gun if I need both hands and only one spare pistol mag in the front. I don't want to put on a belt and a PC in the middle of the night. That's just paranoid and over-prepared. I'm searching for level IIIA slides or slippers.

Last edited by crufflers; 10-14-2021 at 11:47 AM..
Old 10-14-2021, 9:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
It’s a crye precision nightcap. Takes up no room in your pack. I think a helmet is probably better, but it’s what I have for now and works good enough for what I do with nods. I just shoot steel targets at night with IR. Maybe someday hunt yotes. Also good for walking around in the woods at night.
You should post a pic of you wearing it so we can see how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madland View Post
That's why I sleep in gym shorts and keep an old pair of running shoes right under my bed that are loosely tied and I can slip right into them if I get up in the middle of the night.
Kevlar jammies here.
Old 10-14-2021, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
You should post a pic of you wearing it so we can see how it looks.

Kevlar jammies here.

They look kinda goofy, but it works well enough. I’ll get you a pic.
Old 10-14-2021, 9:48 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a plate carrier with soft IIIA inserts. No helmet. I got it for the same reason as building an AR, because it was fun to put it all together. I have used it with a buddy practicing run and gun a few times, but rarely use it. I keep it ready with mags and a few other things to grab and go.

It is one of those things that by the time you think you might actually need one, it is well too late to get one. But again, primarily I got it for the fun of it.