Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-16-2019, 8:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Well yeah, that is the 'IF' for determination.
Your premise was that this would happen even with a good shoot. Remember?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
...which is likely, even with a 'good shoot'....
My conditional of “If” was in place due to your assertion that it was....not that the decision was in doubt.

So, to clarify, criminal prosecution isn’t likely “even with a ‘good shoot’”, because the shoot has been found to be good by the DA, and the DA won’t prosecute.
Old 05-17-2019, 2:57 PM
I Am Jack's Cold Sweat
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Yes valid IMO. Send a follow-up email or call if you feel it’s needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twelve days later, I finally heard back from OCSD. Their email simply asked if I was carrying at the time of police interaction. I emailed back indicating I was not carrying and my weapon was upstairs in a separate room disassembled as I was cleaning it.

Will report back with their response.

Last edited by CrazyJeep; 05-17-2019 at 3:04 PM..
Old 05-18-2019, 8:18 PM

Artemis just emailed this to their customers/clients:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Defense
CCW Renewal UPDATE:
Straight from OCSD....

BACK LOGGED!!!

CCW Holders, look at your expiration date right now and MARK YOUR CALENDARS for 90 Days before that expiration! They are BACK LOGGED and you will need to start your RENEWAL Process on the 90 Day Mark.

If you DO NOT and you wait until right before it expires, you may end up having to do the whole INITIAL PROCESS all over again!

AGAIN, THEY ARE BACK LOGGED!! DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE!!

If your permit expires, you will not be able to carry in until it is reinstated.

Make sure you upload ALL YOUR DOCUMENTATION into the online portal at the time of your Renewal Submission.
Old 05-18-2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJeep View Post
Curious if anyone has received any kind of response when notifying OCSD of law enforcement contact.
[...]
Was this a valid "LEO contact" that warranted an email to OCSD?
I can't find where I read it now-- probably on this forum-- but it was my understanding that they do want to be informed of any law enforcement contact that goes beyond a casual greeting.

The license terms state:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSD
License holder agrees to notify the CCW Licensing Unit within five days of any law enforcement contact or when the licensee becomes the subject of a restraining order. Notifications shall be made by contacting the CCW Licensing Unit at 714-834-7229 during normal business hours. If conducting a notification after hours or on weekends, a brief voice mail shall be left summarizing the circumstances. Written Notifications shall be submitted to the CCW Licensing Unit within five days of the original date of incident. Written notifications shall be submitted via email to ccwpermits@ocsd.org or mailed to 320 N. Flower Street 4th Floor, Santa Ana 92703 Attn: CCW Licensing Unit.
In my own case I observed someone in my area doing something unlawful, but it wasn't criminal activity, simply unsafe, annoying behavior, so I called my local PD on their non-emergency number to advise. I expect they came out, as the unlawful activity ceased.

The next day, it occurred to me that this might be something requiring notification of the OCSD CCW unit, so I emailed them the details and asked, in effect, if this is what they expect, notification for this kind of interaction. They replied "Your notification regarding Law Enforcement contact was received and documented. No further action is required of you through the CCW Unit at this time. You will be contacted if there is any additional information required of you." I took that as a "yes."
Old 05-23-2019, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Your premise was that this would happen even with a good shoot. Remember?

My conditional of “If” was in place due to your assertion that it was....not that the decision was in doubt.

So, to clarify, criminal prosecution isn’t likely “even with a ‘good shoot’”, because the shoot has been found to be good by the DA, and the DA won’t prosecute.
How many people have you shot?
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM

WRT modified guns having more criminal or civil liability, cite case law, or it's bull$#1t. I'll save you time: It's bull$#1t.

I really wish non-lawyers would stop posting made up law. You are not doing a service to mislead people on the law.

I'm referring to intentional uses, not accidents due to malfunction, of course.

Be sure to add CRPA as your charity in Amazon Smile. $#!thead Bezos canceled it.

Last edited by Guninator; 05-24-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM

Where you won't get a lemon..
Old 05-26-2019, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
No, it's not OK. The CCW terms from OCSD state that you may not alter your gun, period. A trigger job, even if using OEM parts, would definitely be considered an alteration.

Terms of License Acknowledgement:

9. Restrictions by Act: Any of the following or similar acts while in possession of a firearm shall be considered a violation of the licensee's general responsibilities as specified below:

m. Possessing a weapon altered from its originally approved design, or weapon not listed on the license.

It’s actually more nuanced than this, if the Trainer/Inspector signs off on the gun as you present it, you can’t modify it from the way it was approved. Most of these approved trainers do a very cursory overview of the firearm, if it’s not a Gucci gun they aren’t checking internals and trigger weight.
Old 05-26-2019, 1:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themm View Post
It’s actually more nuanced than this, if the Trainer/Inspector signs off on the gun as you present it, you can’t modify it from the way it was approved. Most of these approved trainers do a very cursory overview of the firearm, if it’s not a Gucci gun they aren’t checking internals and trigger weight.
Well for the record, my trainer did in fact field strip my Glocks and do a visual inspection of the internals, and then dry fired a few times each to really feel out the trigger. So as you implied I guess it’s kinda up to the scrutiny of the trainer.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:35 PM

Speaking of LE Contact and notifications... A few days back, I noticed some smoke on a brush-covered hill behind some homes in Norco. I happened to pull up next to a RSO deputy the next red light, so I rolled down my window and said "Hey man - there's a fire starting on that hill over there" - he looked, said "Thank you" and took off in that direction.

Would you notify?

Lawfully carrying in 36 states
Clamper:64 & 1069 | Ham:Extra | Dirtbike:Fast
Old 05-27-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
Speaking of LE Contact and notifications... A few days back, I noticed some smoke on a brush-covered hill behind some homes in Norco. I happened to pull up next to a RSO deputy the next red light, so I rolled down my window and said "Hey man - there's a fire starting on that hill over there" - he looked, said "Thank you" and took off in that direction.

Would you notify?
Nope.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themm View Post
What happens if they approve it and then you get the grip stippled afterwards, are you saying that's not allowed?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedkcuf View Post
What happens if they approve it and then you get the grip stippled afterwards, are you saying that's not allowed?
I believe grips and sights changes are allowed. Although stippling doesn’t really ‘modify’ firearm functionality. I’m sure someone can weigh in on this.

iTrader
Old 05-29-2019, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Well for the record, my trainer did in fact field strip my Glocks and do a visual inspection of the internals, and then dry fired a few times each to really feel out the trigger. So as you implied I guess it’s kinda up to the scrutiny of the trainer.

My trainer did inspect and feel as well, and questioned the guns that obviously had work done, and subsequently said return them to factory specs in accordance with OCSD's terms. "Signing off" was simply for the shooting qualifications.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 AM

Not sure if this has been asked already but what happens if I qualify with my 500 magnum but I use .50 special ammo during the qualification shoot, would I then be stuck with using only .50 special ammo while carrying, or would I also be able to carry with 500 magnum ammo? And vice versa.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedkcuf View Post
Not sure if this has been asked already but what happens if I qualify with my 500 magnum but I use .50 special ammo during the qualification shoot, would I then be stuck with using only .50 special ammo while carrying, or would I also be able to carry with 500 magnum ammo? And vice versa.

You lost me at "500 magnum", LOL.

If this is not a joke, the answer is "no". You qualify the gun, not the ammo.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 AM

I'm not sure I have shorts or trousers that could conceal this:

Old 05-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post

Not unless you’re over 7’ tall, LOL.
Old 05-30-2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklin1297 View Post
My trainer did inspect and feel as well, and questioned the guns that obviously had work done, and subsequently said return them to factory specs in accordance with OCSD's terms. "Signing off" was simply for the shooting qualifications.

The signing off refers to both qualification and inspection of the weapon itself.
Old 05-31-2019, 6:37 AM

No one inspected my weapons. Period. Original app, or renewal.
And they've opened up the process to an unlimited number of firearms on your permit, as long as you qualify with them, and they've that easier as well. Both of mine are non-roster pistols bought under SSE - they don't care.

It's more like 'run whatcha brung'. Just don't make them hot-rod guns. LOL
Old 06-01-2019, 3:46 PM

Hey friends,

Young OC resident here (26). Went to the crossroads gun show today and there was a booth for CCW training. The gent behind the counter seemed 100% confident that he could get anyone a permit assuming they can pass a background check and shoot well.

My question really lies with the good cause statement. I work from home and sometimes visit clients (doctors) in person to close deals (I’m in sales for marketing). They’re mostly in Orange County and LA county. Also a pretty involved member of a church of 600+ people and on our church security team. My question is if I’ve got anything here that would work for good cause. If I cite my employer, will I need letters or approvals from my boss? I’m well aware that I need to prove threat of grave injury or death. Just wondering if OCSD has denied someone like me who has a normal life and job, but at the same time doesn’t want to become a victim to violent crime.

Old 06-01-2019, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLover View Post
Hey friends,

Young OC resident here (26). Went to the crossroads gun show today and there was a booth for CCW training. The gent behind the counter seemed 100% confident that he could get anyone a permit assuming they can pass a background check and shoot well.

My question really lies with the good cause statement. I work from home and sometimes visit clients (doctors) in person to close deals (I’m in sales for marketing). They’re mostly in Orange County and LA county. Also a pretty involved member of a church of 600+ people and on our church security team. My question is if I’ve got anything here that would work for good cause. If I cite my employer, will I need letters or approvals from my boss? I’m well aware that I need to prove threat of grave injury or death. Just wondering if OCSD has denied someone like me who has a normal life and job, but at the same time doesn’t want to become a victim to violent crime.

General consensus right now is that if you can articulate why you are at risk of being a victim of violent crime, and if you can produce documentation supporting that risk, you're more or less good to go.

Without giving enough info to dox myself--my GC statement was that I engage in a certain hobby that involves taking expensive equipment to fairly remote areas. And I produced news articles showing people who engage in the same hobby, who were followed by bad guys and attacked/robbed for that expensive hobby equipment. And then I produced receipts for that hobby, as well as a couple photos of myself engaging in said hobby. The GC statement was approved. Be creative. Think of it like a writing assignment from school--you're just trying to assert a point about why you're at risk for violent crime, and then provide evidence for why your assertion is true.
Old 06-01-2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Hey friends,

Your church security team is unarmed? Shouldn't they be armed? Seems like a good enough reason to me.
Old 06-01-2019, 4:07 PM

Sometime they are, sometimes no. We meet sometimes at a school, other times on private property. But we’re heavily involved in city events, community efforts etc. It’s a mix of CCW holders and people with training in security.

Old 06-02-2019, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igs View Post
Your church security team is unarmed? [...]
Quote:
Sometime they are, sometimes no. We meet sometimes at a school, other times on private property. [...]
There are at least a couple of other church security threads: this one and this other one.
Old 06-02-2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
There are at least a couple of other church security threads: this one and this other one.

These are helpful. I actually didn’t know that private property that’s accessible to the public isn’t considered good for concealed carry without permit. Helpful info in these threads. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-07-2019, 12:33 PM

Default CCW Renewal Orange County misdemeanor info.

My renewal is due. I have all the necessary paperwork and statement prepared. This is my second renewal.

The last time I renewed I got a call from a sheriff asking why I didn't put down a misdemeanor I got decades ago. I did put this information down on the original application, but I don't remember there being a space where they asked for it on the Renewal Application. I would have certainly filled it out if it were there. So, I'm renewing again, and I went to filling out the renewal form, and didn't notice where they asked for previous misdemeanors on this current form either. I surely don't want a sheriff calling me again, like I blatantly left it out. I just wouldn't do that. Maybe I'll just put on a piece of paper and enter it in with my other supporting docs? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-07-2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerman View Post
My renewal is due. I have all the necessary paperwork and statement prepared. This is my second renewal.

The last time I renewed I got a call from a sheriff asking why I didn't put down a misdemeanor I got decades ago. I did put this information down on the original application, but I don't remember there being a space where they asked for it on the Renewal Application. I would have certainly filled it out if it were there. So, I'm renewing again, and I went to filling out the renewal form, and didn't notice where they asked for previous misdemeanors on this current form either. I surely don't want a sheriff calling me again, like I blatantly left it out. I just wouldn't do that. Maybe I'll just put on a piece of paper and enter it in with my other supporting docs? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your input.
Section 2, Q9 on the Permitium app.
Quote:
Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense (civilian or military) in the U.S. or any other country? If yes, please explain including the date, agency, charges and disposition.
That’s followed by
Quote:
Have you withheld any fact that might affect the decision to approve this license?
While I don’t think you can re-open the application, you can append a statement identifying updated information for areas on the app.

Sac Sheriff provided his applicants with the following FAQ:
Quote:
10. I made a mistake on my application. How do I fix it?

Once you save your application it is protected and cannot be updated or modified. Think of it as a document written in ink. Please make sure numbers and names are typed correctly. If you do submit the form with an error, you may place your corrections on a separate piece of paper and then scan/upload the document to your CCW file.
Old 06-07-2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Section 2, Q9 on the Permitium app.

That’s followed by

While I don’t think you can re-open the application, you can append a statement identifying updated information for areas on the app.

Sac Sheriff provided his applicants with the following FAQ:
Thank you for your response, but isnt the Permitium application the original application and not the Renewal app? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerman View Post
Thank you for your response, but isnt the Permitium application the original application and not the Renewal app? Thanks.
Go here, click on “Renew”, click on the url at the top, it will say, “https://ocsd.permitium.com/ccw/appli...ype=renewal”.

Permitium is the on-line, third party system being used. The applications are filled out and submitted on Permitium.
Old 06-07-2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Go here, click on “Renew”, click on the url at the top, it will say, “https://ocsd.permitium.com/ccw/appli...ype=renewal”.

Permitium is the on-line, third party system being used. The applications are filled out and submitted on Permitium.
Okay, I see. Thank you for your help here Dverjon
Old 06-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Anyone apply/get their new CCW recently? I am interested in the current lead time.

Currently I am sitting at about 3.5 months.
Old 06-10-2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordknives View Post
Anyone apply/get their new CCW recently? I am interested in the current lead time.

Currently I am sitting at about 3.5 months.
Was there a hang up somewhere? I got mine in October last year and it took 4 days.
Old 06-10-2019, 9:11 PM

I'm renewing right now and just hit 1 month. Online site still says assigning to processor.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2019, 6:13 AM

I'm at 7 weeks on my renewal. Got a request for additional documents on the 6th, which I immediately provided.

Not a peep since.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 PM

4 Days for a new License? That is pretty quick. When I went in they said 90 days but that has come and gone for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Was there a hang up somewhere? I got mine in October last year and it took 4 days.
Old 06-17-2019, 7:37 PM

I am sitting at 14 weeks since my interview and just got an email that it has been submitted to the administration for "final review". I am not holding my breath. I just keep telling myself that maybe I will have it by September.
Old 06-19-2019, 5:10 PM

I had my interview may 21st and just got approval email today and went down and picked it up.. under 30days for new issue
Old 06-19-2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:

Not with THAT attitude!
Old 06-23-2019, 9:45 PM

Here's a question. (And I'm probably just missing this or not looking in the right place, hence the need for direction). I'm doing my renewal and 12 days ago I filled out my renewal application and provided all documents requested via uploads of .pdf files. The only thing I didn't provide was my renewal training certificate because I didn't have it yet. I took the renewal class today and now have the certificate so I went back on the Sheriff's CCW web site to upload the training certificate. I assumed that, because they wanted my email and to create a password when I initially filled out the renewal application, that there was some place to sign on to the application file and upload the certificate. The only thing I could find is the link to fill out the entire application again. This doesn't seem right as why would they have me make a password if there's no place to sign on again? I don't want to fill out another application and confuse things, unless that how it's supposed to be done. But that doesn't make sense. Has anyone else signed back on to their renewal application to upload additional documents? Can someone provide the link for the sign on for this? I've got an email all drafted to send to the CCW Unit asking the same thing but I don't want to bother them if the answer is obvious and I'm just missing it. Thanks!