Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2921  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:31 PM
zero-one's Avatar
zero-one zero-one is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I opted to do my training first, and now that that's over, I'm getting ready to put in my application. Would any OC CCW-holders here be willing to review/proofread my good-cause statement?
Reply With Quote
  #2922  
Old 05-11-2019, 7:57 PM
socal m1 shooter's Avatar
socal m1 shooter socal m1 shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 330
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-one View Post
I opted to do my training first, and now that that's over, I'm getting ready to put in my application. Would any OC CCW-holders here be willing to review/proofread my good-cause statement?
I'm sure some will be happy to help, but did you run it by your CCW class instructor?
__________________
WTB extractor for S&W 659, and magazines for S&W 1076. Please PM if you have one or more to sell.
Reply With Quote
  #2923  
Old 05-13-2019, 6:35 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 745
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-one View Post
I opted to do my training first, and now that that's over, I'm getting ready to put in my application. Would any OC CCW-holders here be willing to review/proofread my good-cause statement?
Just make sure it's about your fear of and the threat of 'grave bodily injury or death'. Not about 'your stuff'. Or something at your home - you already have the right to defend yourself in your home. Now, as far as the neighborhood, coming and going from that home...
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #2924  
Old 05-14-2019, 9:58 AM
CrazyJeep's Avatar
CrazyJeep CrazyJeep is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Somewhere in Cali
Posts: 699
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Curious if anyone has received any kind of response when notifying OCSD of law enforcement contact.

Background of my LEO contact. Two weekends ago, I don't know the exact number, but 5-10 cars were burglarized in my neighborhood along with one pickup truck stolen. Through the Nextdoor app, I was communicating with other neighbors indicating my Nest outdoor camera may have recorded the suspect vehicle driving by my house 3 times. The neighbor who had their truck stolen asked if I could send the video to them and I gladly obliged.

The following day, a police officer came to my house asking if I could send the footage to him as well. Later that day I notified OCSD of the police contact along with a case reference number and the officer's contact information. Have not heard back from OCSD, but also figured I probably wouldn't receive a reply.

Was this a valid "LEO contact" that warranted an email to OCSD?
Reply With Quote
  #2925  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Yodaman Yodaman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,170
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Yes valid IMO. Send a follow-up email or call if you feel itís needed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2926  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 PM
francisk's Avatar
francisk francisk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 88
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Hey everyone.
Does anyone know if we can do trigger jobs such as polishing internals to make the trigger pull smoother and lighter but keeping the stock parts for a CCW firearm? I have a cz 75 but don't want to get the CG parts to do this.
I know that we are not allowed to mods with third party internals but wouldn't it be ok if we keep the stock parts?
Reply With Quote
  #2927  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 745
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisk View Post
Hey everyone.
Does anyone know if we can do trigger jobs such as polishing internals to make the trigger pull smoother and lighter but keeping the stock parts for a CCW firearm? I have a cz 75 but don't want to get the CG parts to do this.
I know that we are not allowed to mods with third party internals but wouldn't it be ok if we keep the stock parts?
If you read your policies and procedures rules for your permit it's spelled out quite clearly - no.

Worse, let's say you actually did have to use your firearm and faced criminal charges for it - which is likely, even with a 'good shoot'. There you would be sitting in criminal court proceeding with a prosecutor stating for the record that the defendant modified his firearm to shoot easier. AKA you were 'trigger happy'. This is not where you want to be.

Keep your weapon stock, or get one that works better for you out of the box.
If you carry, obtain legal protection insurance, just in case the above situation occurs.
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #2928  
Old 05-15-2019, 7:04 PM
tuna quesadilla tuna quesadilla is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Placentia
Posts: 4,514
iTrader: 52 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisk View Post
Hey everyone.
Does anyone know if we can do trigger jobs such as polishing internals to make the trigger pull smoother and lighter but keeping the stock parts for a CCW firearm? I have a cz 75 but don't want to get the CG parts to do this.
I know that we are not allowed to mods with third party internals but wouldn't it be ok if we keep the stock parts?
No, it's not OK. The CCW terms from OCSD state that you may not alter your gun, period. A trigger job, even if using OEM parts, would definitely be considered an alteration.

Terms of License Acknowledgement:

9. Restrictions by Act: Any of the following or similar acts while in possession of a firearm shall be considered a violation of the licensee's general responsibilities as specified below:

...
...
m. Possessing a weapon altered from its originally approved design, or weapon not listed on the license.
Reply With Quote
  #2929  
Old 05-15-2019, 7:07 PM
tuna quesadilla tuna quesadilla is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Placentia
Posts: 4,514
iTrader: 52 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
If you read your policies and procedures rules for your permit it's spelled out quite clearly - no.

Worse, let's say you actually did have to use your firearm and faced criminal charges for it - which is likely, even with a 'good shoot'. There you would be sitting in criminal court proceeding with a prosecutor stating for the record that the defendant modified his firearm to shoot easier. AKA you were 'trigger happy'. This is not where you want to be.

Keep your weapon stock, or get one that works better for you out of the box.
If you carry, obtain legal protection insurance, just in case the above situation occurs.
+1 to this--Just pick a handgun platform that does well for you "as-issued" and then train like hell with it. Millions of cops and soldiers have done just fine with bone-stock issued weapons. Train like hell and you can do great things with a stock weapon. Furthermore, keep all your training receipts and certificates because that may well help you if you are ever challenged in court.
Reply With Quote
  #2930  
Old 05-15-2019, 8:32 PM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,133
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Worse, let's say you actually did have to use your firearm and faced criminal charges for it - which is likely, even with a 'good shoot'. There you would be sitting in criminal court proceeding with a prosecutor stating for the record that the defendant modified his firearm to shoot easier.
If itís a ďgood shootĒ, thatís a determination by the LEOs and the DA. That means youíre not going to be facing criminal charges or be in a criminal court proceeding. You may get tagged with a civil suit for wrongful death, but thatís not the same thing, and criminal charges and prosecutors arenít involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Keep your weapon stock, or get one that works better for you out of the box.
If you carry, obtain legal protection insurance, just in case the above situation occurs.
^^^agree with both^^^^
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.Ē
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."
Reply With Quote
  #2931  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:57 PM
francisk's Avatar
francisk francisk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 88
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Thanks everyone. I was curious and had to ask.
I have insurance and take advanced classes on a monthly basis. Never had an issue with my carry weapons and I keep them stock but then again no matter what gun I have there is always something I wish I could improve which in this case it's the CZ trigger. It's still a very good carry gun.
Thanks again .

Last edited by francisk; 05-16-2019 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2932  
Old 05-16-2019, 8:26 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 745
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
If itís a ďgood shootĒ, thatís a determination by the LEOs and the DA. That means youíre not going to be facing criminal charges or be in a criminal court proceeding. You may get tagged with a civil suit for wrongful death, but thatís not the same thing, and criminal charges and prosecutors arenít involved.
Well yeah, that is the 'IF' for determination. Perhaps there are some extenuating circumstances, or a lying 'victim'. And why you have legal coverage insurance.
The last thing you want is a modified weapon in the mix. God help us if we ever have to shoot someone.

Look how many LEO's get caught up in this in the line of duty! It can be devastating regardless of how it goes.
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #2933  
Old 05-16-2019, 8:47 PM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,133
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Well yeah, that is the 'IF' for determination.
Your premise was that this would happen even with a good shoot. Remember?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
...which is likely, even with a 'good shoot'....
My conditional of ďIfĒ was in place due to your assertion that it was....not that the decision was in doubt.

So, to clarify, criminal prosecution isnít likely ďeven with a Ďgood shootíĒ, because the shoot has been found to be good by the DA, and the DA wonít prosecute.
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.Ē
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."
Reply With Quote
  #2934  
Old 05-17-2019, 2:57 PM
CrazyJeep's Avatar
CrazyJeep CrazyJeep is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Somewhere in Cali
Posts: 699
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Yes valid IMO. Send a follow-up email or call if you feel it’s needed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twelve days later, I finally heard back from OCSD. Their email simply asked if I was carrying at the time of police interaction. I emailed back indicating I was not carrying and my weapon was upstairs in a separate room disassembled as I was cleaning it.

Will report back with their response.

Last edited by CrazyJeep; 05-17-2019 at 3:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2935  
Old 05-18-2019, 8:18 PM
socal m1 shooter's Avatar
socal m1 shooter socal m1 shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 330
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Artemis just emailed this to their customers/clients:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Defense
CCW Renewal UPDATE:
Straight from OCSD....

BACK LOGGED!!!

CCW Holders, look at your expiration date right now and MARK YOUR CALENDARS for 90 Days before that expiration! They are BACK LOGGED and you will need to start your RENEWAL Process on the 90 Day Mark.

If you DO NOT and you wait until right before it expires, you may end up having to do the whole INITIAL PROCESS all over again!

AGAIN, THEY ARE BACK LOGGED!! DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE!!

If your permit expires, you will not be able to carry in until it is reinstated.

Make sure you upload ALL YOUR DOCUMENTATION into the online portal at the time of your Renewal Submission.
__________________
WTB extractor for S&W 659, and magazines for S&W 1076. Please PM if you have one or more to sell.
Reply With Quote
  #2936  
Old 05-18-2019, 8:42 PM
socal m1 shooter's Avatar
socal m1 shooter socal m1 shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 330
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJeep View Post
Curious if anyone has received any kind of response when notifying OCSD of law enforcement contact.
[...]
Was this a valid "LEO contact" that warranted an email to OCSD?
I can't find where I read it now-- probably on this forum-- but it was my understanding that they do want to be informed of any law enforcement contact that goes beyond a casual greeting.

The license terms state:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSD
License holder agrees to notify the CCW Licensing Unit within five days of any law enforcement contact or when the licensee becomes the subject of a restraining order. Notifications shall be made by contacting the CCW Licensing Unit at 714-834-7229 during normal business hours. If conducting a notification after hours or on weekends, a brief voice mail shall be left summarizing the circumstances. Written Notifications shall be submitted to the CCW Licensing Unit within five days of the original date of incident. Written notifications shall be submitted via email to ccwpermits@ocsd.org or mailed to 320 N. Flower Street 4th Floor, Santa Ana 92703 Attn: CCW Licensing Unit.
In my own case I observed someone in my area doing something unlawful, but it wasn't criminal activity, simply unsafe, annoying behavior, so I called my local PD on their non-emergency number to advise. I expect they came out, as the unlawful activity ceased.

The next day, it occurred to me that this might be something requiring notification of the OCSD CCW unit, so I emailed them the details and asked, in effect, if this is what they expect, notification for this kind of interaction. They replied "Your notification regarding Law Enforcement contact was received and documented. No further action is required of you through the CCW Unit at this time. You will be contacted if there is any additional information required of you." I took that as a "yes."
__________________
WTB extractor for S&W 659, and magazines for S&W 1076. Please PM if you have one or more to sell.
Reply With Quote
  #2937  
Old 05-23-2019, 9:06 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 745
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Your premise was that this would happen even with a good shoot. Remember?

My conditional of ďIfĒ was in place due to your assertion that it was....not that the decision was in doubt.

So, to clarify, criminal prosecution isnít likely ďeven with a Ďgood shootíĒ, because the shoot has been found to be good by the DA, and the DA wonít prosecute.
How many people have you shot?
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #2938  
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Guninator's Avatar
Guninator Guninator is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: OC
Posts: 381
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

WRT modified guns having more criminal or civil liability, cite case law, or it's bull$#1t. I'll save you time: It's bull$#1t.

I really wish non-lawyers would stop posting made up law. You are not doing a service to mislead people on the law.

I'm referring to intentional uses, not accidents due to malfunction, of course.
__________________
IAALBNYL, DNROTAALA: I Am A Lawyer But Not Your Lawyer. Do Not Rely On The Above As Legal Advice.

Last edited by Guninator; 05-24-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2939  
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM
RaffiD's Avatar
RaffiD RaffiD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: San Fernando Valley
Posts: 259
iTrader: 1 / 67%
Default

Where you won't get a lemon..
__________________
ďThey who can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.Ē Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote
  #2940  
Old 05-26-2019, 1:00 PM
Themm Themm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 185
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
No, it's not OK. The CCW terms from OCSD state that you may not alter your gun, period. A trigger job, even if using OEM parts, would definitely be considered an alteration.

Terms of License Acknowledgement:

9. Restrictions by Act: Any of the following or similar acts while in possession of a firearm shall be considered a violation of the licensee's general responsibilities as specified below:

...
...
m. Possessing a weapon altered from its originally approved design, or weapon not listed on the license.


Itís actually more nuanced than this, if the Trainer/Inspector signs off on the gun as you present it, you canít modify it from the way it was approved. Most of these approved trainers do a very cursory overview of the firearm, if itís not a Gucci gun they arenít checking internals and trigger weight.
Reply With Quote
  #2941  
Old 05-26-2019, 1:16 PM
tuna quesadilla tuna quesadilla is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Placentia
Posts: 4,514
iTrader: 52 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themm View Post
Itís actually more nuanced than this, if the Trainer/Inspector signs off on the gun as you present it, you canít modify it from the way it was approved. Most of these approved trainers do a very cursory overview of the firearm, if itís not a Gucci gun they arenít checking internals and trigger weight.
Well for the record, my trainer did in fact field strip my Glocks and do a visual inspection of the internals, and then dry fired a few times each to really feel out the trigger. So as you implied I guess itís kinda up to the scrutiny of the trainer.
Reply With Quote
  #2942  
Old 05-27-2019, 12:35 PM
vocoder vocoder is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 52
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Speaking of LE Contact and notifications... A few days back, I noticed some smoke on a brush-covered hill behind some homes in Norco. I happened to pull up next to a RSO deputy the next red light, so I rolled down my window and said "Hey man - there's a fire starting on that hill over there" - he looked, said "Thank you" and took off in that direction.

Would you notify?
__________________

Lawfully carrying in 36 states
Clamper:64 & 1069 | Ham:Extra | Dirtbike:Fast
Reply With Quote
  #2943  
Old 05-27-2019, 12:38 PM
maggie06's Avatar
maggie06 maggie06 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ask the NSA
Posts: 512
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
Speaking of LE Contact and notifications... A few days back, I noticed some smoke on a brush-covered hill behind some homes in Norco. I happened to pull up next to a RSO deputy the next red light, so I rolled down my window and said "Hey man - there's a fire starting on that hill over there" - he looked, said "Thank you" and took off in that direction.

Would you notify?
Nope.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
__________________
"Let's play tic-tac-toe"
Reply With Quote
  #2944  
Old 05-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Smedkcuf Smedkcuf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Orange County
Posts: 385
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themm View Post
Itís actually more nuanced than this, if the Trainer/Inspector signs off on the gun as you present it, you canít modify it from the way it was approved. Most of these approved trainers do a very cursory overview of the firearm, if itís not a Gucci gun they arenít checking internals and trigger weight.
What happens if they approve it and then you get the grip stippled afterwards, are you saying that's not allowed?
Reply With Quote
  #2945  
Old 05-28-2019, 11:36 PM
9Cal_OC's Avatar
9Cal_OC 9Cal_OC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Orange County
Posts: 341
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedkcuf View Post
What happens if they approve it and then you get the grip stippled afterwards, are you saying that's not allowed?
I believe grips and sights changes are allowed. Although stippling doesn’t really ‘modify’ firearm functionality. I’m sure someone can weigh in on this.
__________________
Freedom isn't free...
Reply With Quote
  #2946  
Old 05-29-2019, 9:58 AM
pklin1297's Avatar
pklin1297 pklin1297 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 3,272
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Well for the record, my trainer did in fact field strip my Glocks and do a visual inspection of the internals, and then dry fired a few times each to really feel out the trigger. So as you implied I guess itís kinda up to the scrutiny of the trainer.

My trainer did inspect and feel as well, and questioned the guns that obviously had work done, and subsequently said return them to factory specs in accordance with OCSD's terms. "Signing off" was simply for the shooting qualifications.
__________________
NRA Member, CAPRC Member
Reply With Quote
  #2947  
Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 AM
Smedkcuf Smedkcuf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Orange County
Posts: 385
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Not sure if this has been asked already but what happens if I qualify with my 500 magnum but I use .50 special ammo during the qualification shoot, would I then be stuck with using only .50 special ammo while carrying, or would I also be able to carry with 500 magnum ammo? And vice versa.
Reply With Quote
  #2948  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
pklin1297's Avatar
pklin1297 pklin1297 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 3,272
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedkcuf View Post
Not sure if this has been asked already but what happens if I qualify with my 500 magnum but I use .50 special ammo during the qualification shoot, would I then be stuck with using only .50 special ammo while carrying, or would I also be able to carry with 500 magnum ammo? And vice versa.

You lost me at "500 magnum", LOL.

If this is not a joke, the answer is "no". You qualify the gun, not the ammo.
__________________
NRA Member, CAPRC Member
Reply With Quote
  #2949  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 AM
socal m1 shooter's Avatar
socal m1 shooter socal m1 shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 330
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I'm not sure I have shorts or trousers that could conceal this:

__________________
WTB extractor for S&W 659, and magazines for S&W 1076. Please PM if you have one or more to sell.
Reply With Quote
  #2950  
Old 05-29-2019, 12:57 PM
pklin1297's Avatar
pklin1297 pklin1297 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 3,272
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
I'm not sure I have shorts or trousers that could conceal this:

Not unless youíre over 7í tall, LOL.
__________________
NRA Member, CAPRC Member
Reply With Quote
  #2951  
Old 05-30-2019, 2:22 PM
Themm Themm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 185
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklin1297 View Post
My trainer did inspect and feel as well, and questioned the guns that obviously had work done, and subsequently said return them to factory specs in accordance with OCSD's terms. "Signing off" was simply for the shooting qualifications.


The signing off refers to both qualification and inspection of the weapon itself.
Reply With Quote
  #2952  
Old 05-31-2019, 6:37 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 745
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

No one inspected my weapons. Period. Original app, or renewal.
And they've opened up the process to an unlimited number of firearms on your permit, as long as you qualify with them, and they've that easier as well. Both of mine are non-roster pistols bought under SSE - they don't care.

It's more like 'run whatcha brung'. Just don't make them hot-rod guns. LOL
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #2953  
Old 06-01-2019, 3:46 PM
WilsonLover's Avatar
WilsonLover WilsonLover is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 36
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Hey friends,

Young OC resident here (26). Went to the crossroads gun show today and there was a booth for CCW training. The gent behind the counter seemed 100% confident that he could get anyone a permit assuming they can pass a background check and shoot well.

My question really lies with the good cause statement. I work from home and sometimes visit clients (doctors) in person to close deals (Iím in sales for marketing). Theyíre mostly in Orange County and LA county. Also a pretty involved member of a church of 600+ people and on our church security team. My question is if Iíve got anything here that would work for good cause. If I cite my employer, will I need letters or approvals from my boss? Iím well aware that I need to prove threat of grave injury or death. Just wondering if OCSD has denied someone like me who has a normal life and job, but at the same time doesnít want to become a victim to violent crime.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2954  
Old 06-01-2019, 3:51 PM
tuna quesadilla tuna quesadilla is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Placentia
Posts: 4,514
iTrader: 52 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLover View Post
Hey friends,

Young OC resident here (26). Went to the crossroads gun show today and there was a booth for CCW training. The gent behind the counter seemed 100% confident that he could get anyone a permit assuming they can pass a background check and shoot well.

My question really lies with the good cause statement. I work from home and sometimes visit clients (doctors) in person to close deals (I’m in sales for marketing). They’re mostly in Orange County and LA county. Also a pretty involved member of a church of 600+ people and on our church security team. My question is if I’ve got anything here that would work for good cause. If I cite my employer, will I need letters or approvals from my boss? I’m well aware that I need to prove threat of grave injury or death. Just wondering if OCSD has denied someone like me who has a normal life and job, but at the same time doesn’t want to become a victim to violent crime.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General consensus right now is that if you can articulate why you are at risk of being a victim of violent crime, and if you can produce documentation supporting that risk, you're more or less good to go.

Without giving enough info to dox myself--my GC statement was that I engage in a certain hobby that involves taking expensive equipment to fairly remote areas. And I produced news articles showing people who engage in the same hobby, who were followed by bad guys and attacked/robbed for that expensive hobby equipment. And then I produced receipts for that hobby, as well as a couple photos of myself engaging in said hobby. The GC statement was approved. Be creative. Think of it like a writing assignment from school--you're just trying to assert a point about why you're at risk for violent crime, and then provide evidence for why your assertion is true.
Reply With Quote
  #2955  
Old 06-01-2019, 4:05 PM
igs igs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 219
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLover View Post
Hey friends,

Young OC resident here (26). Went to the crossroads gun show today and there was a booth for CCW training. The gent behind the counter seemed 100% confident that he could get anyone a permit assuming they can pass a background check and shoot well.

My question really lies with the good cause statement. I work from home and sometimes visit clients (doctors) in person to close deals (Iím in sales for marketing). Theyíre mostly in Orange County and LA county. Also a pretty involved member of a church of 600+ people and on our church security team. My question is if Iíve got anything here that would work for good cause. If I cite my employer, will I need letters or approvals from my boss? Iím well aware that I need to prove threat of grave injury or death. Just wondering if OCSD has denied someone like me who has a normal life and job, but at the same time doesnít want to become a victim to violent crime.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your church security team is unarmed? Shouldn't they be armed? Seems like a good enough reason to me.
__________________
If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun.
Reply With Quote
  #2956  
Old 06-01-2019, 4:07 PM
WilsonLover's Avatar
WilsonLover WilsonLover is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 36
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Sometime they are, sometimes no. We meet sometimes at a school, other times on private property. But weíre heavily involved in city events, community efforts etc. Itís a mix of CCW holders and people with training in security.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2957  
Old 06-02-2019, 8:34 AM
socal m1 shooter's Avatar
socal m1 shooter socal m1 shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 330
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by igs View Post
Your church security team is unarmed? [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLover View Post
Sometime they are, sometimes no. We meet sometimes at a school, other times on private property. [...]
There are at least a couple of other church security threads: this one and this other one.
__________________
WTB extractor for S&W 659, and magazines for S&W 1076. Please PM if you have one or more to sell.
Reply With Quote
  #2958  
Old 06-02-2019, 9:10 PM
WilsonLover's Avatar
WilsonLover WilsonLover is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 36
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
There are at least a couple of other church security threads: this one and this other one.


These are helpful. I actually didnít know that private property thatís accessible to the public isnít considered good for concealed carry without permit. Helpful info in these threads. Thanks for the help!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2959  
Old 06-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Marinerman's Avatar
Marinerman Marinerman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: West Anaheim Orange County
Posts: 383
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default CCW Renewal Orange County misdemeanor info.

My renewal is due. I have all the necessary paperwork and statement prepared. This is my second renewal.

The last time I renewed I got a call from a sheriff asking why I didn't put down a misdemeanor I got decades ago. I did put this information down on the original application, but I don't remember there being a space where they asked for it on the Renewal Application. I would have certainly filled it out if it were there. So, I'm renewing again, and I went to filling out the renewal form, and didn't notice where they asked for previous misdemeanors on this current form either. I surely don't want a sheriff calling me again, like I blatantly left it out. I just wouldn't do that. Maybe I'll just put on a piece of paper and enter it in with my other supporting docs? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your input.
__________________
ďWe are going by you without fighting if you will let us, but we are going by you anyhow!Ē Ė Chief Joseph
Reply With Quote
  #2960  
Old 06-07-2019, 1:25 PM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,133
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerman View Post
My renewal is due. I have all the necessary paperwork and statement prepared. This is my second renewal.

The last time I renewed I got a call from a sheriff asking why I didn't put down a misdemeanor I got decades ago. I did put this information down on the original application, but I don't remember there being a space where they asked for it on the Renewal Application. I would have certainly filled it out if it were there. So, I'm renewing again, and I went to filling out the renewal form, and didn't notice where they asked for previous misdemeanors on this current form either. I surely don't want a sheriff calling me again, like I blatantly left it out. I just wouldn't do that. Maybe I'll just put on a piece of paper and enter it in with my other supporting docs? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your input.
Section 2, Q9 on the Permitium app.
Quote:
Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense (civilian or military) in the U.S. or any other country? If yes, please explain including the date, agency, charges and disposition.
Thatís followed by
Quote:
Have you withheld any fact that might affect the decision to approve this license?
While I donít think you can re-open the application, you can append a statement identifying updated information for areas on the app.

Sac Sheriff provided his applicants with the following FAQ:
Quote:
10. I made a mistake on my application. How do I fix it?

Once you save your application it is protected and cannot be updated or modified. Think of it as a document written in ink. Please make sure numbers and names are typed correctly. If you do submit the form with an error, you may place your corrections on a separate piece of paper and then scan/upload the document to your CCW file.
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.Ē
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:00 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.