Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGoSlw View Post
You will not get conditional approval when you go to the initial interview, you will get interviewed and the interviewing officer will go over your GCS and application and will probably tell you whether to proceed with your background investigation and live scan or not. You will not get an official conditional approval email until you have successfully met all the requirements and your application has been reviewed by the appropriate CCW officer in charge of that department.
Within 30 minutes of finishing my initial interview I received an e-mail stating "Your Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) application has been conditionally approved for further processing." At the time I still had to do weapon's qualification and submit a live scan.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:55 AM

Just a quick update since yesterday. Well my interview went well, the officer just requested that I upload a couple more items of documentation for my GCS/Proof of Residency (utility bills aren't in my name). Wasn't nearly as much of an interview as I expected, mostly just talked about how he wanted to word my GCS and what else I could provide to help back it up. Officer was extremely nice and willing to help!

Went to do my livescan shortly after, I'll be doing training this weekend, and all should be good to go!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
Just a quick update since yesterday. Well my interview went well, the officer just requested that I upload a couple more items of documentation for my GCS/Proof of Residency (utility bills aren't in my name). Wasn't nearly as much of an interview as I expected, mostly just talked about how he wanted to word my GCS and what else I could provide to help back it up. Officer was extremely nice and willing to help!

Went to do my livescan shortly after, I'll be doing training this weekend, and all should be good to go!

Do you mind sharing any details about what they wanted from you to back up your GCS, or what was lacking from your GCS originally? I’m from San Bernardino and have my CCW already, just curious about the OC process.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Dumb View Post
Do you mind sharing any details about what they wanted from you to back up your GCS, or what was lacking from your GCS originally? I’m from San Bernardino and have my CCW already, just curious about the OC process.
Without going into too much detail, the officer requested that I upload a list of my equipment and approximate values of the items that I keep with me.

My GCS actually had 3 causes listed on it, and he said he is going to only use the first item and as long as I send the list of equipment that I keep with me, it should be good to go.
Old 06-05-2018, 1:31 PM

Just to confirm Doheny's post, picked up my renewal today while still having 11 days on my old one. Old is good till it expires, then shred and use new one. No loss of time.

The girl said they have around 14,000 permits now and expect 20,000 by end of year.

Some of the nicest people in any business to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Without going into too much detail, the officer requested that I upload a list of my equipment and approximate values of the items that I keep with me.
Had to do the same when I went in almost 2 months ago.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:41 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
OCSD loves the way SafeInsight.net does theirs online with range qualifying. They are looking at bringing a training system in-house to make it uniform, and this fits their concept. It's very thorough based on what OCSD wants covered for their permitting process. The entire classroom portion is online so you can do it any time and your own pace - no group classroom, no waiting, nothing extraneous.

Disclosure: The owner is a relative, so yes I'm biased.

I’m not sure where you are getting the info that OCSD is considering bringing the training system in house. I personally spoke to the Sgt in charge of the unit and he said there is no way they would bring the training in house and if they even considered it, it would definitely not be an online course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 06-06-2018, 5:15 PM

Quick question here. To go through the application, it says your must scan documents that support your good cause statement. While I don't have any actual documents, I can say that my neighbor is a documented gang member and the police have already raided his house and arrested him at least once. Any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2018, 5:26 PM

I used something similar in my GC, plus a couple of other things. They didn't ask for documentation on that, but did on the other 2 . Maybe the other 2 were good enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson1986 View Post
Quick question here. To go through the application, it says your must scan documents that support your good cause statement. While I don't have any actual documents, I can say that my neighbor is a documented gang member and the police have already raided his house and arrested him at least once. Any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
That's tough, it may be worth a phone call to the CCW department to ask what kind of documentation they would require for that.

Or just apply, write your explanation using examples of previous occurrences, and during your interview they will help you find a way to support your GCS.

Old 06-06-2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Take this logically, if you can scan any documents that support your argument then scan away. In your case where there is no way to scan such an argument, then you just have to write it as a statement and that should be fine.
Bottom line, the more supporting documents you have, the better your statement will be.
Old 06-06-2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Quick question here. To go through the application, it says your must scan documents that support your good cause statement. While I don't have any actual documents, I can say that my neighbor is a documented gang member...
There you go. You answered your own question. You said the neighbor is "documented"―then scan that document.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 06-07-2018, 7:15 AM

Quote:
I would tell you to make sure your good cause states you fear your safety coming home (driving through a neighborhood with known gang members) and leaving your house. Remember, you can legally possess the firearm at your residence without a CCW and if your only fear is while at home, no CCW is necessary. Go online to your local police department's activity log and get print out the calls for service in your neighborhood along with crime stats for your city. If you do any walks with your family or by yourself, that would subject you to more danger than the average person. Take a couple selfies of you and the family walking or playing in the neighborhood park. Easy documentation. Don't be afraid to call the CCW unit supervisor for his opinion/assistance.
Old 06-08-2018, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
I’m not sure where you are getting the info that OCSD is considering bringing the training system in house. I personally spoke to the Sgt in charge of the unit and he said there is no way they would bring the training in house and if they even considered it, it would definitely not be an online course.
They've changed their mind. Evidently you're just not in the talks. [shrug]
Old 06-08-2018, 8:45 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They've changed their mind. Evidently you're just not in the talks. [shrug]

Hahaha. Yeah ok.

That’s not what I was told as of last week and you’ve been spreading that FUD for awhile.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 06-10-2018, 3:13 PM
Banned

Default Renew and gun qualification?

When you renew do you need to qualify all guns again ir just the ones you want to add?
Old 06-10-2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
When you renew do you need to qualify all guns again ir just the ones you want to add?
My last renewal I had to qualify with all my guns again; that was last April.
Old 06-10-2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
All guns. But only 20 rounds on guns that's not your main carry.

Old 06-10-2018, 4:18 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-10-2018, 8:51 PM

Anyone know the time it’s currently taking for final approval?

Applied- 5/21
Livescan- 5/21
Interview-6/1
Ccw class- 6/2

Got told it was being sent for final review on 6/4
Old 06-10-2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg520 View Post
Anyone know the time it’s currently taking for final approval?

Applied- 5/21

Livescan- 5/21

Interview-6/1

Ccw class- 6/2

Got told it was being sent for final review on 6/4

60 Day’s roughly
Old 06-11-2018, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Hahaha. Yeah ok.

That’s not what I was told as of last week and you’ve been spreading that FUD for awhile.
Excuse me, but you're not the full authority on this. So don't be making the accusations. High level meetings have been conducted, research, Q&A. Call it whatever you want, but this isn't FUD.

Make your calls, do what you like. You're not privy to all that goes on at OCSD. Period.
Old 06-11-2018, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I'm excited to finally get this process underway, I've been putting it off for far too long.

Assuming I get conditional approval tomorrow, is there a general consensus for this forum's favorite training venues or trainers? I'm very close to On Target which has a single Saturday course (only 7 hours but somehow gets OCSD credit for a full 16 hour course?). I have also heard good things about Firearms Training Associates in Corona which is 2 consecutive days, Sat-Sun for a total of 16 hours. Not too worried about cost, I would rather be well trained.
According to my local CCW instructors, the current law states that the CCW training required for the process can not exceed 16 hours but can be any length of time less than that. I know everybody has a lot of stuff to do but getting as much training and information is always a good thing. I lucked out during my training where there happened to be only 4 of us in the class and essentially got semi-private and more tailored training due to the student:instructor ratio and without paying a lot.
Old 06-11-2018, 6:51 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Excuse me, but you're not the full authority on this. So don't be making the accusations. High level meetings have been conducted, research, Q&A. Call it whatever you want, but this isn't FUD.

Make your calls, do what you like. You're not privy to all that goes on at OCSD. Period.

Never said I was, just said you were incorrect.

Just because you have a friend that has an ex-roommate that knows a guys cousin that’s a trainer doesn’t put you in the know. Just makes you biased and believe whatever your told by them. (Yes I know Mike is your son in law)

Fact: All the online training courses were required to revamp their “training” or be removed from the list.

Fact: Those in charge of the unit would like to see training become a quarterly standard and not be done behind a computer.

So be careful what you wish for.

Have a great day!

Old 06-11-2018, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Never said I was, just said you were incorrect.

Just because you have a friend that has an ex-roommate that knows a guys cousin that’s a trainer doesn’t put you in the know. Just makes you biased and believe whatever your told by them. (Yes I know Mike is your son in law)

Fact: All the online training courses were required to revamp their “training” or be removed from the list.

Fact: Those in charge of the unit would like to see training become a quarterly standard and not be done behind a computer.

So be careful what you wish for.

Have a great day!

Fact: ALL certified trainers were required to revamp their training or be removed from the list. Evidently you were at the trainer meeting.

Fact: Those in charge of the unit liked the way the online training worked - it provided "just exactly what we want to see" for what applicants need to learn for their CCW permit.

This is a silly exchange. Nothing I have stated is untrue. However your condescension is duly noted.

We're all on the same team here guys. I am not your enemy.
Old 06-11-2018, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Do the 2 day course at FTA and you will walk away feeling well trained. One day course just isn’t enough time to cover the laws and still have time to teach you anything on the range.

Ended up doing the 2 day FTA over the weekend and had a great experience. Bill Murphy (Owner/Instructor) does a great job keeping the information interesting and has some great stories from his time as a LEO.

Uploaded my cert this morning, now I guess it's just a waiting game for me... Hopefully the new system has helped streamline things, but it sounded like the department is still figuring it out too so maybe not
Old 06-11-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yep, could very well be. Evidently there was some clerk in some government office somewhere tasked with looking up firearm registrations. When the onslaught of applications happened the waiting period for that look up was taking up to six months.

Now with unlimited firearms on your permit my assumption is they've done away with that. Or they have a different way of looking them up.

When my daughter was clerking at King Co courts in Seattle she was telling me DROS gave them a window of time to find a reason to turn down a firearm application. If they didn't find anything or couldn't do it in time - the 10 days - then it just went through. I can't say exactly how CA works, but my guess is it's similar if not the same.
FWIW - my Live Scan request form was for DOJ, FBI, and Firearms last week. I also received an email from the CCW department saying that my live scan results were already received, so it took less than 6 days even with all 3 agencies required.

Last edited by ssick92; 06-11-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Old 06-11-2018, 7:23 PM

Florida just got busted for not looking up nics on apps., recinded some 300 permits. The app clerk couldn't figure out how to login.

OCSD is doing some 3-5k per year? Wow!
Old 06-12-2018, 6:37 AM

Well, that was a lot quicker than I thought/ was told. Was sent for final approval on 6/1 and was told it’s ready to pick up this morning.
Old 06-12-2018, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg520 View Post
Well, that was a lot quicker than I thought/ was told. Was sent for final approval on 6/1 and was told it’s ready to pick up this morning.

Just looked at your OP. It’s because you had everything done before the interview. I did mine after the interview and it took 60 days total.
Old 06-12-2018, 1:27 PM

Default Amendmant

Does anyone know how long an amendmant takes? I’m trying to add a gun. Also do you have to redo your picture and fingerprint too? Thanks
Old 06-12-2018, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Default Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criso View Post
Does anyone know how long an amendmant takes? I’m trying to add a gun. Also do you have to redo your picture and fingerprint too? Thanks

Takes a day or two. Depending on when you submit I’m sure. Yes you take a new picture and no to fingerprint.

Last edited by Yodaman; 06-12-2018 at 2:00 PM..
Old 06-12-2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
I've never done it, but earlier comments say it usually only takes a day or 2. No additional Live Scan required.
Old 06-12-2018, 3:58 PM

Thank you guys, I appreciate It. I just gotta know if I gotta look good or not hahahahah
Old 06-12-2018, 5:27 PM

Anybody have a minor mishap or two to discuss with the CCW deputies & still get approved? Specifically, I had an incident (misdemeanor battery complaint) three years ago which landed me in front of a city attorney, though no charges were ever filed. My official record is spotless. Mine is even more in depth than others as I have zero complaints or actions from a securities trader position, with half a dozen licenses being scrutinized actively, for over two decades. Other than the complaint, I do need to take some meds, buty driving is unrestricted, and my docs will advocate for my approval. Looking for an uplifting story with somewhat parallel type specifics. If not, the truth will suffice

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Takes a day or two. Depending on when you submit I’m sure. Yes you take a new picture and no to fingerprint.
Take a look at one of my previous posts on how long it takes. I did it a couple of weeks ago.

...and yes, they do take a fingerprint (both at the certification and at the OCSD).

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 06-13-2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny b View Post
Anybody have a minor mishap or two to discuss with the CCW deputies & still get approved? Specifically, I had an incident (misdemeanor battery complaint) three years ago which landed me in front of a city attorney, though no charges were ever filed. My official record is spotless. Mine is even more in depth than others as I have zero complaints or actions from a securities trader position, with half a dozen licenses being scrutinized actively, for over two decades. Other than the complaint, I do need to take some meds, buty driving is unrestricted, and my docs will advocate for my approval. Looking for an uplifting story with somewhat parallel type specifics. If not, the truth will suffice

Thanks.
I am not approved yet, so can't give you a definitive answer, but I had an arrest 3 years ago for Drunk in Public, which was later dismissed in court. I was honest about it with the interviewing officer and he said it shouldn't be an issue. Other than that, my record is clean as can be. I guess only time will tell though...

I can't speak to the meds though; the way I understand it you cannot carry a CCW while on any meds that can impair, so if you are required to take them all the time then that may be your bigger issue depending on what they are.
Old 06-13-2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
I am not approved yet, so can't give you a definitive answer, but I had an arrest 3 years ago for Drunk in Public, which was later dismissed in court. I was honest about it with the interviewing officer and he said it shouldn't be an issue. Other than that, my record is clean as can be. I guess only time will tell though...

I can't speak to the meds though; the way I understand it you cannot carry a CCW while on any meds that can impair, so if you are required to take them all the time then that may be your bigger issue depending on what they are.

Thank you.
Old 06-13-2018, 5:26 PM

So I have some good news for OC applicants... The department appears to have accelerated the process significantly - below is my timeline.

Application submitted: 6/2
Initial Interview: 6/5
Live Scan: 6/5
Additional Requested Documentation Uploaded: 6/7
Training: 6/9 - 6/10
Training Certicate Uploaded: 6/11
Permit Approved for Pickup: 6/13

Total of 11 days from application to final approval, with most of the time waiting on me. I am beyond impressed with the process and speed at which everything happened.

For anyone out there hesitating, I'd say just do it. They we're extremely helpful to me and nobody can complain with the process taking only 11 days!

Last edited by ssick92; 06-13-2018 at 6:26 PM..
Old 06-15-2018, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

So, it looks like we might have a runoff election for Sheriff in November. If Barnes had won >50.0% of the votes in the primary he would have won by default. Right now he's at 49.9% against Duke Nguyen, and slipping as they count more and more votes.

Duke Nguyen is anti-CCW. He says on his website "I am not against CCWs or a citizen’s right to bear arms. However, I do believe that we need to have a strong and transparent review process for all whom apply. It does not appear that this has been the case."

Pay close attention to the last line... that's doublespeak for him saying "I want to end OCSD's generous shall-issue policy". He worked for LA County for pete's sake, so it's not hard to tell where he stands.

What do we think of Nguyen's chances in November? Are we pretty ****ed if he gets into a run-off against Barnes? If Nguyen wins, does he have the authority to revoke everyone's CCW if he sees fit?