Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-07-2016, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriller134 View Post

Kyle how did your interview go?

Clearly you sent off a bunch of red flags for them to refer you to a psych evaluation.
This was my thought as well.

Either your interview raised some flags or your residency check prompted the psych eval.

They're rare enough that we seldom hear about them here...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 03-07-2016, 2:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_eff View Post
Has anyone received this? I've kept up on the board, and i haven't read anyone saying anything about a psych exam. [IMG][/IMG]
You either drew the short straw and now are a sacrifical lamb so the OCSD can claim they do psych evals on applicants or your interview set something off.
I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.
Old 03-07-2016, 3:02 PM
Veteran Member

They must have see something on his background to have them ask for a Psych
exam. There was another guy here on Calguns that recieved a letter like that.
Old 03-07-2016, 3:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Has anyone received this? I've kept up on the board, and i haven't read anyone saying anything about a psych exam. [IMG][/IMG]
Seems strange that you just got that, since you had your interview back in December and you reported that it went well: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=698

Do your tats represent anything specific that they'd be wondering about? I'm assuming that's you in your avatar.
Old 03-07-2016, 3:52 PM

Investigator told you on 12/14 to get your livescan because it takes 10 weeks to hit his desk. Depending on when you did it maybe there is something on it they don't like?
Old 03-07-2016, 6:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would call the interviewer and tell him there has clearly been an error and the letter was issued to the wrong guy. Ask him to look into it. Go from there.

Or, you could look at it as an odd date. $150 with an intelligent woman and every minute, you're hoping you don't get screwed.
Old 03-07-2016, 6:15 PM

My interview went well. We went through all the regular steps, joked around a little and sent me on my way. I got my livescan the next day. My past is pretty much crystal clear. The worse thing that has ever been on my record would be a speeding ticket, but from over 6 years ago. I called today and they said chances are that it was a random selection. I guess i'll play the game. It would be nice if they used a doctor that wasn't an hour away though.
Old 03-07-2016, 6:38 PM

Quote:
My interview went well. We went through all the regular steps, joked around a little and sent me on my way. I got my livescan the next day. My past is pretty much crystal clear. The worse thing that has ever been on my record would be a speeding ticket, but from over 6 years ago. I called today and they said chances are that it was a random selection. I guess i'll play the game. It would be nice if they used a doctor that wasn't an hour away though.
Well that sucks... tell us how it goes.
Old 03-07-2016, 7:34 PM

Have not seen or heard of any psych evals. Something triggered it.

For training, it can be done over a weekend, well within a week. There's no need to stress it, it doesn't need to hold you up at all. Mine was done and submitted within a few days of my approval letter - mine was actually an email.

There's no waiting for an online class, you can sign on and complete at your convenience. You just have to schedule when you can get the range portion done - mutual time for you and the range instructor.
Old 03-07-2016, 8:52 PM

Man that sucks Kyle. Good luck with the evaluation. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-09-2016, 7:50 AM

Question for you OC folks that have been approved...have any of your permits come with restrictions?

For example, if your GC statement was that you're a realtor and you show homes or host open houses by yourself, or maybe in rural/isolated/not-so-good areas, does your permit have a restriction saying it's only valid when you're engaging in that particular activity?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:11 AM

Wow.....you would think they would at least find an Orange County Doc...
Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH-47 View Post
Wow.....you would think they would at least find an Orange County Doc...

The PC requires them to use the same doc as they use for their employees.
Old 03-09-2016, 4:51 PM

Sorry to transition this thread a bit. But, I'm aware that there are several of you kind gentlemen that will look over some "good cause" statements. Could one of you wonderful people lend this 23 year old a hand? Please and thank you!
Old 03-10-2016, 7:26 AM

Looks like they are moving things along. I just had my appointment bumped up from 4/26 to 4/14.
Old 03-10-2016, 8:48 AM

Man, I'm the only one to get bumped out. Darn prison break.
Old 03-10-2016, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLover View Post
Sorry to transition this thread a bit. But, I'm aware that there are several of you kind gentlemen that will look over some "good cause" statements. Could one of you wonderful people lend this 23 year old a hand? Please and thank you!
If you want a 23 year old to review it, then PM me.
Old 03-10-2016, 9:37 AM

Hey guys,

Just found this forum and there's tons of info here. Thanks so much to all for sharing.

I tried to search a bit re ccw and weapon modifications but didn't see anything come up that was concrete or current.

On the OCSD website they list this under "CCW License Policy" section 218.4
Quote:
The applicant’s firearm(s) is/are subject to inspection at the discretion of the Sheriff or designated Department Member. The Sheriff reserves the right to deny a license for any firearm that has been altered from the manufacturer's specifications or that is deemed unsafe (Penal Code § 31910).
Has anyone asked about this in their interview? My G26 is stippled, finger grooves removed, and the trigger is undercut. Not to mention an extended slide and mag release. My G19 has the same mods and the grip is cut down to g26 length. Both are cerakoated too.

Are those mods going to disqualify me from using these as ccw guns? Do I need to go buy another glock?
Old 03-10-2016, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLover View Post
WL, suggestion: Attend free pre-CCW class at Artemis (in your 'hood too). Mr. Lieberman will be happy to review your GC and you'll get some great additional info too. No affiliation, just sharing.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:16 AM

Hey guys.

So I had my interview. My appointment was for 9, they finally got to me at 1035. The man at the front told me that my notarized note wasn't good. The investigator told me my letter was good. I disclosed my past as a youth and then watched his eyes glaze over. From there he started to judge. He asked for more paper work, Work Badge, Paystub, Money paperwork, and more. I should have just told him to look me up on imdb. As he walked me out, he said he didn't know if my youth past would have an effect on getting a ccw. In the end I shouldn't have shaved. I looked like I was 19, when really I'm about to turn 26. I haven't done my live scan due to busy schedule, but will probably do it tomorrow or next week.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCdude View Post
Are those mods going to disqualify me from using these as ccw guns? Do I need to go buy another glock?
This won't come up during the interview, but the instructor from which you will receive your training certificate (which lists the guns on your CCW, and the instructor certifies that you demonstrated satisfactory proficiency with them) may refuse to sign off on them. The instructor might be ok with it, or he may not be - you'll just have to ask. The general rule I've been taught is that aftermarket parts are not ok, factory parts are.

As much as I feel that a permit should not be needed to exercise our Second Amendment rights, the reality is that interpretation has thus far not been accepted in our jurisdiction. Hence, I prefer not to push the limits and take any steps that may jeopardize my privilege. If modifying my carry firearm to my tastes will lead to a heightened possibility of the Sheriff revoking my permit (no matter how small), I'm not going to do it.

But beyond the issue of permits, if I end up having to use the firearm in self-defense, if modifying my carry firearm will lead to additional arguments that could be raised to challenge my credibility or otherwise have a negative impact in my defense, I'm not going to do it either.

Sometimes I think we're looking at these restrictions in the wrong way. I intend to carry a firearm to mitigate risk. The natural consequence of having to rely on the firearm is facing the prospect of criminal and/or civil liability. Yes, I should have the freedom to make any modifications I want because it's my personal defense, but I ask myself if this will increase my risk of exposure to liability. If it does, it would seem to go against the fundamental premise I'm carrying the firearm to begin with - risk mitigation.

If the modified guns are all you've got, then that's what it is, and you can swap out any aftermarket parts for the qualification and/or find an instructor who shares your view as to the nature of the modifications being within the scope of the Sheriff's policy. If you have the resources to purchase another firearm, however, I would strongly consider that option instead.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCdude View Post
Hey guys,

Just found this forum and there's tons of info here. Thanks so much to all for sharing.

I tried to search a bit re ccw and weapon modifications but didn't see anything come up that was concrete or current.

On the OCSD website they list this under "CCW License Policy" section 218.4

Has anyone asked about this in their interview? My G26 is stippled, finger grooves removed, and the trigger is undercut. Not to mention an extended slide and mag release. My G19 has the same mods and the grip is cut down to g26 length. Both are cerakoated too.

Internal mods are a toss up, with non-manufaturer authorized mods being a big no no. I would say that you call around until you find a instructor that will sign off as the OCSD does not inspect it personally.

Basically, the more mods that you make to the actual mechanical firing mechanism, they more its likely to be rejected.
I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.
Old 03-11-2016, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyD1978 View Post
Submitted my renewal on 2/16.

I asked for an update on 3/2 and they said they are waiting for approval.

I submitted a more detailed good cause this time (since they are a little more strict now). I hope it goes through.

I will update when the status changes.
Got my conditional approval on 3/10 for my renewal. Have to attend a 4 hour CCW class Then fax a copy of the class cert to OCSD.
Old 03-11-2016, 9:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Any one in the March approval batch get their pick up dates yet?
Old 03-11-2016, 2:30 PM

picked up today!
applied 09/ 2016

Initial appointment 12/30/15
Livescan 12/23/15
conditional 3/4/16
CCW pickup 3/11/16
Old 03-11-2016, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longroad View Post
picked up today!
applied 09/ 2016

Livescan 12/23/15
conditional 3/4/16
CCW pickup 3/11/16

Congrats Longroad!
Old 03-12-2016, 12:53 AM

Thanks! By the way, that would be 9/ 2015 applied. Day one went quick.
Old 03-12-2016, 5:56 AM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Congrats!

Quote:

picked up today!
applied 09/ 2016

Livescan 12/23/15
conditional 3/4/16
CCW pickup 3/11/16
Congrats!

Approvals continue daily!

Old 03-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
picked up today!
applied 09/ 2016

Livescan 12/23/15
conditional 3/4/16
CCW pickup 3/11/16
Happy for this guy but the fact that I had my appointment in June '15, livescan done month after and I'm still asking for updates every month (which they stopped replying to over email). really gets me mad. What's the order of how they go through these? My woman also applied for hers months after me, got her appointment moved up before mine and now and has her permit. Do they not go in sort of order?

EDIT: No criminal activity on any record, ever.

Last edited by 1Fastrider; 03-12-2016 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 03-12-2016, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fastrider View Post
Happy for this guy but the fact that I had my appointment in June '15, livescan done month after and I'm still asking for updates every month (which they stopped replying to over email). really gets me mad. What's the order of how they go through these? My woman also applied for hers months after me, got her appointment moved up before mine and now and has her permit. Do they not go in sort of order?

EDIT: No criminal activity on any record, ever.
Did you ask them what they're waiting for? Firearm clearance, etc.

If your livescan clears fasters than someones else then that's how they process you.
Old 03-12-2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albs View Post
Did you ask them what they're waiting for? Firearm clearance, etc.

If your livescan clears fasters than someones else then that's how they process you.
6/22/15 intervierw
10/23/15(update request): We received your FBI on 07/07/15
12/2/15 "We have received your live scan information, but we have not received your FBI/Department of Justice paperwork from the State of California"
1/7/16 "We are pending DOJ/Firearms clearance".

no reply to my monthly email in Feb or March so far.
Old 03-12-2016, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

I've been following this thread for quite a while. It has been informative and entertaining at times. One thing for sure there are an awful lot of assumptions made and presented as fact. I'm not directing this at anybody, just making an observation.
Old 03-12-2016, 8:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
I've been following this thread for quite a while. It has been informative and entertaining at times. One thing for sure there are an awful lot of assumptions made and presented as fact. I'm not directing this at anybody, just making an observation.
Examples?
Old 03-13-2016, 5:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Examples?
If I did that I would be directing it at several somebodies, lol.
Old 03-13-2016, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
But then they could explain/defend/discuss their assumptions that you feel are not factual...

Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
But doesn't that mean you are making the assumption that others' assumptions are not factual, and then presenting your assumption as fact?

I mean, I assume that's what you're doing.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
But doesn't that mean you are making the assumption that others' assumptions are not factual, and then presenting your assumption as fact?

I mean, I assume that's what you're doing.
Good point, Dvrjon. Wait, does that mean I am assuming that I understand your assumption that I am assuming the assumptions of others are not factual and presenting your assumption as a fact that I am presenting my assumption as a fact?
Old 03-13-2016, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Good point, Dvrjon. Wait, does that mean I am assuming that I understand your assumption that I am assuming the assumptions of others are not factual and presenting your assumption as a fact that I am presenting my assumption as a fact?
I was very clear. I did not state that what I said was fact. I clearly noted that I was making an assumption. However, if you have determined that my assumption is, in fact, fact, then to you, it is a fact even though I assume that's not factually correct.
Old 03-13-2016, 2:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Go for it, we're big boys, we can take it. Maybe you can enlighten us as to the process or vice-versa.

Actually, I think your post is just the equivalent of dropping a turd in the punch bowl and waiting to see the reaction.
Old 03-13-2016, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Go for it, we're big boys, we can take it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Go for it, we're big boys, we can take it.

Maybe you can enlighten us as to the process or vice-versa.

Actually, I think your post is just the equivalent of dropping a turd in the punch bowl and waiting to see the reaction.
So, what exactly are these somebodies assuming to be fact...