Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-13-2019, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Just won an auction for a Remington 700 Police LTR .308 Police Trade-In...

2nd Update: Finally got her out of jail. Here is a pic with the scope, rings, sling and bi-pod installed.

Update: Filled out the paperwork today. Got to see it in person. Darn thing looks brand new. Looks incredible, much cooler in person. Now the 10 day wait.

Original Post:

I found and won a Police Trade-In Remington 700 LTR .308 rifle on Gunbroker today. I've owned and really liked this model rifle in the past. And I have had great luck with the police trade-in pistols I've owned before...so I wasn't worried about this rifle being used. Really looking forward to getting her on the range.

My collection has needed a bolt action longer (than my ARs) range rifle for a while now. Sold all my .308 bolt actions years ago. So this will be a nice change of pace for me.

This one belonged to the Roanoke City Police Department of Virgina Sniper Team. Not that I know who they are or where exactly that's at. But I dig the history...and the home camo-job.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 10-16-2019 at 5:08 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

Did they give an idea of round count? I only ask because I saw a department selling a bunch of DPMS SASS .308 rifles a year ago for cheap prices. They seemed too good to be true and were advertised as low round count. When I inquired I was told only 10-15k rounds through each gun (they were academy/AOT training guns).
Old 09-13-2019, 7:55 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm not worried. In my experience police trade-ins are examples of guns that have "carried often and shot little". Being a bolt action rifle the round count is bound to be on the lower side. Departments trade these in not because they are shot out but because they get a deep discount on the latest and greatest from Remington by doing so. My guess would be they wanted the new 5R Police rifles from Remington. Then the licensed dealer that facilitates the transaction gets to sell the used trade-ins at a discount and make a little extra profit ontop of what he made on the new rifles he sold to the department. Everybody wins. Except the tax payers in that little city in Virginia.

I've owned a bunch of police trade-in Glocks. All were awesome shooters with plenty of life left in them. The one that was my best shooter looked like hell when I got it. Like it had been dragged across concrete day in and day out. But the barrel looked almost new. Had it cerecoated and it looked almost new. Just sold it last week to fund this purchase. After years of doing great on the range. One police trade-in came with me on a trip to Front Sight. It did great. There is usually generations of life left in the barrels on these things.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-13-2019 at 8:04 AM..
Old 09-13-2019, 8:03 AM

If it was issued to a dedicated sniper/DM there should be a known round count on it. We used to down ours at around 4k, still had good life in them.
Old 09-13-2019, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwishin View Post
If it was issued to a dedicated sniper/DM there should be a known round count on it. We used to down ours at around 4k, still had good life in them.
That's just not how this process works. They do this in bulk and upgrade the departments firearms all at once. Or at least all the ones they plan on upgrading that year get traded in all at once. Those records are long gone by now. It would be cool if it came with the shooters log book. But it won't.

Like you said, there is plenty of life left in them when they get traded in. They are not trading them in because they are shot out. They do it because they want to keep up with the latest and greatest technology out there. And because of the deep discounts manufacturers give them for doing so. The manufacturers want to be able to advertise that X-number of police departs and SWAT teams are using a particular rifle. Meanwhile departments get a set budget for keeping their rifles up to date. If they don't spend it. They loose it. It doesn't roll over into the next year. Plus they never know what cuts they'll experience in years to come. So they upgrade when they can. Whether they need to or not.

There is ZERO chance a bolt action rifle this new would be shot out. Not from a small department with a small budget. Even military rifles with this purchase date would have another 20 years in them before the barrel would be replaced. It would take several decades to shoot out the barrel on a bolt action rifle like this. It's gonna be fine.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-13-2019 at 8:25 AM..
Old 09-13-2019, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwishin View Post
We used to down ours at around 4k, still had good life in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
There is ZERO chance a bolt action rifle this new would be shot out.
Agreed that 4K on a 308 is nothing. Based on the pics, unless the gun was re-parked (doubtful) there is no wear in the bolt body. That thing is almost new.

Nice grab if the price was really cheap.
Old 09-13-2019, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Agreed that 4K on a 308 is nothing. Based on the pics, unless the gun was re-parked (doubtful) there is no wear in the bolt body. That thing is almost new.
Nice grab if the price was really cheap.
Paid $540. Most the new ones I've seen for sale were hovering around $800+.

Plus for me the fact that it was issued to a Police Department is a real bonus and adds value to me. Just one more small way of supporting law enforcement. If it were possible to get it from my local law enforcement that would have been even better. Sadly the process just doesn't work that way. Politics prevents it. Especially here.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-13-2019 at 8:32 AM..
Old 09-13-2019, 8:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
There is ZERO chance a bolt action rifle this new would be shot out.
Not from a small department with a small budget.
It would take several decades to shoot out the barrel on a bolt action rifle like this.
It's gonna be fine.
hahahah.
I have a customer who has me rebarrel his bolt rifle every year when the barrel is shot out.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-13-2019, 8:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
hahahah.
I have a customer who has me rebarrel his bolt rifle every year when the barrel is shot out.
That guy clearly has more money and time than sense. Yes, I'm jealous. They are a lucky man (or woman).

Like others have said, there is almost no wear on the bolt or on the inside of the receiver. And there is no way they had those refinished. I've made more wear just working a bolt in practice. So I am pretty sure I'll be fine. I have yet to get a police trade-in that wasn't awesome. Sadly the police don't usually get to train and shoot as much as we would all like them to. That usually translates to great bargains when they trade their guns in.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-13-2019 at 8:40 AM..
Old 09-13-2019, 8:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Agreed that 4K on a 308 is nothing.
4k rounds is about where group size has doubled compared to new on a 308 barrel.
We routinely rebarrel match 308's before that happens.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-13-2019, 8:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Paid $540. Most the new ones I've seen for sale were hovering around $800+.

Plus for me the fact that it was issued to a Police Department is a real bonus and adds value to me. Just one more small way of supporting law enforcement. If it were possible to get it from my local law enforcement that would have been even better. Sadly the process just doesn't work that way. Politics prevents it. Especially here.
Too bad it's an LTR instead of a PSS.
LTR's are not good target rifles.
The barrel is too short and it has those huge flutes that make it wander after a few rounds.
The action and stock are good though if you ever decide to put a good barrel on it.
The only sendero contour barrel worse than an LTR is the VTR with the triangle barrel.

Old 09-13-2019, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Too bad it's an LTR instead of a PSS.
LTR's are not good target rifles.
The barrel is too short and it has those huge flutes that make it wander after a few rounds.
The action and stock are good though if you ever decide to put a good barrel on it.
The only sendero contour barrel worse than an LTR is the VTR with the triangle barrel.
You've never been a fan of fluting. The second you see it you get turned off. I don't mind it. I know it's not a 26" heavy barrel rifle and thus won't shoot like one. But it will outperform similar weight/size rifles. Which is the type of rifle I was in the market for.

I like the weight and ease of maneuverability of it. Plus the scope I have for it is a Leupold Patrol with just 3-9 power. A PSS would have been too much rifle for that scope. The main reasons for buying this was the price, history, hole in my collection...and finding a home for that scope. I bought that scope back when dealer cost was over $700...and it's been collecting dust ever since.

Should double as a nice hunting rifle due to the reduced weight. I'm not as young and spry as I used to be. Those 26" heavy barrel rifles are not as light as they used to feel back when I was a kid. Not that they ever actually felt light.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-13-2019 at 8:50 AM..
Old 09-13-2019, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Just an FYI, the longest of the new 5R Police rifles is only 24 inches instead of 26 like it used to be. I thought that was interesting. Not sure why they made that decision. Maybe they figure these are used more in an urban environment than rural one? So the distances would be shorter? They've got the statistical data on what shots departments are having to take. So I assume there is a reason for it.
Old 09-13-2019, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That's just not how this process works. They do this in bulk and upgrade the departments firearms all at once.
UHH no that is not how it works with rifle's dedicated to a SWAT team or whatever the agency calls it. That is how it works with handgun's and issued long guns to some degree. Unless that rifle was refinished, it doesn't show the amount of wear that would be on a general issue patrol rifle.

While I'm sure you got a good deal and it has plenty of life left in it, as a former department armorer, and lead rangemaster, I can assure you that what the other poster wrote is more accurate than "all guns are traded in at once". Also most department's purchase direct from a manufacturer or distributor, not from a lgs, doing it that way avoids taxes. All of our H&K's be it USP's or MP5's came straight from H&K. All of our AR pattern carbine's came straight from Bushmaster back in the day.

Glock's and Sig's go back to those respective manufacturer's when traded in. Smith is doing the same thing now I've heard.
Old 09-13-2019, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

I've seen them go through their local law enforcement dealers. Also seen the manufacturers make trade-ins available to their law enforcement dealers after the fact. Either way...the dealer is not going to have the log book. So if anything you're arguing my point for me. I'm not going to be able to get the official round count for this rifle. I'm going to have to trust my eyes.
Old 09-13-2019, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Well...just paid for it. Now to wait for it to arrive...then do the paperwork and pay more money...then wait 10 days.

Last gun I'll be buying for a long while. Time to spend money on range fees and ammo for a while before buying anything new.
Old 09-13-2019, 9:59 AM

Quote:
4k rounds is about where group size has doubled compared to new on a 308 barrel.
We routinely rebarrel match 308's before that happens.
Yes, I agree that a match 308 such as my F-T/R and M14, both get replaced before 4k (+ or-) as noted. For a factory Remington barrel, the owner would most likely be content with the original precision and subsequent accuracy at 4K.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Looking at the bolt and inside of the receiver there is zero chance this thing has anywhere near 4K rounds through it. There is barely any wear on it. Which means it wasn't shot all that much. I remember my previous Remington 700 Police bolt marring up fairly quickly and easily. I had maybe 800 rounds on it and the finish was damn near worn off on a large section of the bolt. This bolt barely has a mark on it.

You are right however, at this price I'd be fine with it having opened up a little bit. But I seriously doubt that will be an issue.

Sadly it is not likely to ever get shot to the point it needs a new barrel. I spend most my range time shooting my pistols, then my ARs, then everything else. Rarely getting to everything else. Ammo is just too damn pricey. I need to win the lottery...or invent the next great widget. Something. I try and take at least one training course per year. Usually an AR course. I am way over due for that as well.

Headed to the range tomorrow. Handguns per usual.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-13-2019 at 10:28 AM..
Old 09-13-2019, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

I picked a few of these up back in the day. All had massive round counts, pulled them all apart and made nice custom rifles with them: 308, 223AI, 6.5 Creed, 243win..... great deal.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

The game plan for this one is to leave it as is for the foreseeable future. I have the Scope, Rings, Bipod, and Sling all ready to be mounted. Well...the rings are in the mail...but you get my meaning.

Most I can see myself doing in addition to adding those typical accessories is maybe adding a drop box magazine. I'm so used to using a magazine to load that it feels awkward doing it any other way. Not that the magazine releases on these things are ever easy to use. Not when compared to say an AR.

I tricked the heck out of my last 308 bolt action rifles. Had McMillan and AICS stocks, drop box magazines, cerecoated them, and spent a ton of money on the latest and greatest scopes. Then they pretty much just sat in the safe rarely seeing the range.

I hope to avoid that impulse this time around. The frequency with which they see use with me just doesn't warrant it.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-13-2019 at 11:04 AM..
Old 09-13-2019, 11:24 AM

Well it certainly looks from the images that unless refinished, it doesn't have much use. Only a quality range session, with quality ammunition will determine that. I like the stock painting as well. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:41 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
smoothy8500

For a factory Remington barrel, the owner would most likely be content with the original precision and subsequent accuracy at 4K.

What was it Jeff Cooper would say?

“If that rifle were half as accurate as it is, it would still be twice as accurate as it need be.”

"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 09-13-2019, 2:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just an FYI, the longest of the new 5R Police rifles is only 24 inches instead of 26 like it used to be.
They still offer the 700P with a 26" barrel.

Old 09-13-2019, 2:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes, I agree that a match 308 such as my F-T/R and M14, both get replaced before 4k (+ or-) as noted. For a factory Remington barrel, the owner would most likely be content with the original precision and subsequent accuracy at 4K.
Most people bringing me their 700's to rebarrel have less than 1000 rounds fired.
They are simply looking for better accuracy than the factory barrel can offer.
Sometimes I even get unfired guns to take apart and build with a premium barrel right from the start.
That's usually people that already have other custom rifles though and already know that a factory barrel is not going to meet their requirements.

Old 09-13-2019, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They still offer the 700P with a 26" barrel.
They've got a new (or new to me) line of police rifles with 5R rifling. This is different than the older 5R Milspec rifle with the stainless barrel and green stock. I used to own that rifle. Liked it a lot. This one is all black. Has a threaded barrel. It says Remington 700 5R Police on the label. Item number is 86675.

It is 24" long.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-13-2019 at 3:19 PM..
Old 09-15-2019, 4:27 PM

I use my LTRs 308 /223 for hunting and albeit a bit heavier than I
like these days yet they do just fine. If youre happy then thats
all that matters.
Old 09-15-2019, 4:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboshred View Post
I use my LTRs 308 /223 for hunting and albeit a bit heavier than I
like these days yet they do just fine. If youre happy then thats
all that matters.
I wanted something precision oriented but still manageable with regards to size and weight. Something well suited to the fairly pricey Leupold Patrol 3-9x40 scope collecting dust in my closet. The full size police rifle would have been overkill for my needs. And a thin barreled hunting rifle just isn't my speed.

I'm honestly not much of a bench rest guy or hunter. My idea of a perfect day at the range is taking yet another tactical pistol or AR course. But the price was right and I have a giant hole in my collection where a bolt action precision rifle should go. Honestly I'm getting a lot of rifle for not much money. So I don't get people's complaints. Might not be their dream rifle, but it was exactly what I was looking for right when I could afford it.

For all the criticism people want to place on this thing...it's gonna out shoot me everyday of the week.
Old 09-16-2019, 7:14 AM

Roger that and enjoy it!!! My .223 Ltr will be with me for a prairie
Dog shoot and my 308 has taken many a hog. Enjoy it !!!
Old 09-28-2019, 11:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Filled out the paperwork today. Got to see it in person. Darn thing looks brand new. Looks incredible, much cooler in person. Now the 10 day wait.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Got it out of jail and all put together.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Very nice I'm glad it looked as good as you hoped it would. Now you just need to get out to the range and get us a range report whenever you get a chance
Old 10-18-2019, 1:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
Very nice I'm glad it looked as good as you hoped it would. Now you just need to get out to the range and get us a range report whenever you get a chance
That's always the hard part. Finding time for the lead therapy. The closest range that's open when I usually have the time is an indoor range, so I usually end up shooting pistols only 9 times out of 10. Upside is my pistol skills are fabulous. Long range rifle skills not as much.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 10-18-2019 at 1:23 AM..
Old 10-18-2019, 5:46 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Do us a favor. Edit your post and hit the Enter key between your /img and img tags.

That way your photos won't create that epic side-scroll.

Thanks.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A