Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:49 AM

Default Browning 86 45-70 shooters

How do the Browning lever 86 (Win.) levers in 45-70 shoot with cast bullets. I'm looking at a used one at a pawn shop that they are asking 1,000.00 for, I'm a little unsettled on it at that price seems to high at 98% condition. But if they shoot very well with cast that could cause me to negotiate
Regards
Old 09-10-2019, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine does fine with cast bullets.
Old 09-12-2019, 9:08 AM

Do you use a softer mix or hard cast?
Old 09-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
Do you use a softer mix or hard cast?
Hard cast if buying premade bullets, but have mostly used cast my own out of scrape lead with recovered hard cast bullets mixed in using lee 405gr flat point mold.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:59 AM

Mine shoots fine with cast bullets.
Old 09-12-2019, 5:40 PM

I have been leaning more and more toward a softer bullet for hunting than a hard cast. I cast some 405gr. from a Lee mold that are soft, as in 8 pounds of pure lead/plumbers lead with 2 pounds of range reclaim. They are soft plane base using javelina (SP?) lube and drive them around 1,200-1,400 fps. Do you use the Lee mold? or? All of my .45 rifle "bought bullets" are not correct for a lever gun. On the Browning, is it drilled and tapped for a receiver sight? can they be drilled and tapped to take a receiver sight?
Old 09-13-2019, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
I have been leaning more and more toward a softer bullet for hunting than a hard cast. I cast some 405gr. from a Lee mold that are soft, as in 8 pounds of pure lead/plumbers lead with 2 pounds of range reclaim. They are soft plane base using javelina (SP?) lube and drive them around 1,200-1,400 fps. Do you use the Lee mold? or? All of my .45 rifle "bought bullets" are not correct for a lever gun. On the Browning, is it drilled and tapped for a receiver sight? can they be drilled and tapped to take a receiver sight?
Mine is factory original does not have tang sight, it only has one screw in tang. Yes I do use Lee mold it is the only mold I have for 45/70. I load the cast bullets with 3031 to trapdoor levels, shoot them in Handi Rifle, Ruger No3 and the 1886. If I want faster loads been using 300 or 400gr jacketed bullets and use 3031 or Reloder 7.