Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

View Poll Results: Which deer rifle caliber: 6.5CM, .308Win, or .270Win?
6.5CM 34 22.08%
.308 Win 48 31.17%
.270 Win 61 39.61%
Bacon is better than venison 11 7.14%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2019, 8:49 AM

270win is my pick.

Craig Boddigton had a good article in April on the cartridge and compares the 6.5cm to it as well.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...70-winchester/
Old 06-27-2019, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTokarev View Post
270win is my pick.

Craig Boddigton had a good article in April on the cartridge and compares the 6.5cm to it as well.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...70-winchester/

In the very article you posted it states how similar the 7RM is to the .270. The OP owns a 7RM, yet you would (any many others on this thread) would still advise he get a .270?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:31 PM

Why not? Boddington also comments on how similar 270 is to any 6.5 (and that 6.5x55 has been doing for 100 years what the cm does now).

The only real issue for the 270 vs 6.5cm is lack of super accurate match bullets. But OP wants a hunting rifle and you can get any hunting bullet you want in 277 caliber. Lead free, partition, frangible, you name it. That includes loaded rounds since op doesn’t reload.

Of the cartridges in the OP I’d still pick 270win. It’s a great cartridge.

If I wanted a 6.5, and probably will someday, it would be a 6.5x55. Ruger built some for lipseys recently. I’d track down one of those.
Old 06-27-2019, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
In the very article you posted it states how similar the 7RM is to the .270. The OP owns a 7RM, yet you would (any many others on this thread) would still advise he get a .270?
LOL. You mean we need a valid reason to buy another rifle? Now, now.
Old 06-27-2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
LOL. You mean we need a valid reason to buy another rifle? Now, now.

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 06-27-2019, 2:09 PM

Also, as has been posted a few times already, all of the cartridges in the OP are close enough in performance that any of them could be picked and make a great hunting rifle without a huge difference between them.

It's not as though the options were 22-250, 303 british, and 458 win.

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."

Quote:
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 06-27-2019, 3:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Why not? Boddington also comments on how similar 270 is to any 6.5 (and that 6.5x55 has been doing for 100 years what the cm does now).
6.5x55 is LA. 6.5 CM is SA. That's a significant difference.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-27-2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
6.5x55 is LA. 6.5 CM is SA. That's a significant difference.
It's a difference but I'd hardly call it significant. Especially in a hunting rifle and I would rather have the increased case capacity for lobbing heavier bullets.

Same reason I have a 7x57 instead of a 7mm-08.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2019, 4:47 PM

If I was a Pup and doing it all over again using today’s tech I would go Rem. 700 6.5 CM and maybe 6.5 X 55. I started with .270 but most my hunts were 30/06 for Mule Deer, Black Bear, Elk, Pig.........Moose with 7mm Mag ( Browning BAR )
Old 06-27-2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
because he sounded like he was leaning towards the .270 in the op.

if that is the case, he should get the .270. if he does and doesn't like it, he can sell it.
Old 06-27-2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
because he sounded like he was leaning towards the .270 in the op.

if that is the case, he should get the .270. if he does and doesn't like it, he can sell it.
He also said "for deer" so I suggested .243 and then it was "and Elk". Anyway, .270 is the clear winner among the 3 choices.
Old 06-27-2019, 5:43 PM

270 with 150 grain partitions would be great for elk.
Old 06-27-2019, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
270 with 150 grain partitions would be great for elk.
Yeah, that would do. But, post #52 is a bit more. It truly works.
Old 06-27-2019, 8:44 PM

Default Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
Id go with a 270 or 7-08 with a Barnes TTSX.
The .270, 7mm-08 and the .280 Remington I consider the perfect deer cartridges - they’re right in the sweet spot of plenty of power and reasonable recoil. The .270 is the easiest to find ammo for. I’m a fan of all three and I own and reload all three. The 7mm-08 has less recoil than the other two but it just flattens deer.

Frank
Old 06-27-2019, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHNFRANK View Post
The 7mm-08 has less recoil than the other two but it just flattens deer.

Frank
It's unmanly to talk about enjoying lighter recoiling rifles on Calguns. I once let slip that I prefer rifles that recoil less rather than more (specifically 7mm-08 rather than .270) and was called lots of unmanly things and told to just shoot a .22 LR from now on since I obviously can't handle recoil.

Likewise it's unmanly to talk about liking lighter rifles rather than heavier ones because the Calguns consensus is that if the rifle is heavy you just need to hit the gym and get into better shape...

Since a gun in 6.5CM should both recoil less AND weigh less than the other options the OP was considering, choosing such a rifle would be about the most unmanly thing that could be done according to lots of people on this forum.
Old 06-28-2019, 5:12 AM

Nothing unmanly about wanting a lighter rifle or one with less recoil.

Winchester lists a 4oz difference between their 270win and 6.5cm featherweight rifles. Less than the weight of a baseball.

And personally I have always found the recoil from a 270win to be fairly moderate and no one is telling OP to get a 338 mag. I don’t think anyone is trying to be macho here.

Different strokes for different folks. There’s nothing at all wrong with 6.5cm, I just feel that the 270 is the better hunting cartridge.
Old 06-28-2019, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Winchester lists a 4oz difference between their 270win and 6.5cm featherweight rifles. Less than the weight of a baseball.
Ammo weighs less in the Creedmoor as well, granted it's not much of a difference when you are only carrying 4 rounds or so.

Fully loaded with 4 rounds (let's say) there's another half ounce or so difference. It might not seem like a lot but if I'm going to carry an extra 4.5 ounces of anything, it's going to be water.

Though that difference is moot in regards to Tikka rifles, since they have the same size action for everything.

Quote:
And personally I have always found the recoil from a 270win to be fairly moderate and no one is telling OP to get a 338 mag.
Of course you find it fairly moderate, I guarantee not a soul on this site would say otherwise. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of 'more than adequate' deer and elk cartridges out there that recoil less; and sometimes less is more.

Quote:
There’s nothing at all wrong with 6.5cm, I just feel that the 270 is the better hunting cartridge.
And that's part of the difference. I don't think one or the other is better. They are both adequate deer/pig/elk killing cartridges at what I consider to be hunting ranges (0-300 yards or so). My original suggestion was to find rifles in all of those cartridges and choose the rifle he liked best, turns out he already has a rifle in mind.

Then of course there's this problem that people will almost always suggest getting whatever they have. You like the .270, so you suggest the .270, even though the OP has a .30-06 and a 7-Mag making the .270 boringly redundant. Ultimately this isn't a thread about which cartridge is better, it's which one the OP ought to add to his armory. All things being equal I'm not overly fond of any of the choices as my preferences tend to skew towards the less popular and more interesting cartridges. 7mm-08 has been steadily gaining in popularity, I'll probably have to ditch it soon for something more esoteric just so I can feel cool. Maybe a .300 H&H just so I can call my friends with .300 Win Mags whippersnappers.

Admittedly, a long loaded .270 is a sexy looking cartridge.

Not like any of this matters anyway, I'm not the one that's going to be hunting with it!

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 06-28-2019 at 8:42 AM..
Old 06-28-2019, 8:58 AM

OP... Go buy a Win 94AE in 30wcf and go hunting....
Old 06-28-2019, 8:59 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

And like most things on Calguns the OP disappears and yet the thread and battle rages on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 06-28-2019, 9:23 AM

Could be worse, op could have asked about the best caliber for pig or brown bear.

Those always get interesting.
Old 06-28-2019, 9:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It's a difference but I'd hardly call it significant. Especially in a hunting rifle ....
It's not only the 4 to 6 ounce difference in weight of the rifle. As Napalm mentioned it's also the ammo. I always carry 20 extra rounds when I hunt. Then there's the stiffer short action for accuracy. Also, if you reload, having similar performance with less powder is preferable.

Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 06-28-2019 at 9:43 AM..
Old 06-28-2019, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
And like most things on Calguns the OP disappears and yet the thread and battle rages on.
I posted at least 13 times. I would hardly call that "disappearing". Am I supposed to contact a moderator to close the thread now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen
Old 06-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
I posted at least 13 times. I would hardly call that "disappearing". Am I supposed to contact a moderator to close the thread now?
No and Sorry. I did a quick scan and didn't see your replies. The norm is a question is posed and then the battle to answer it rages on for as long as the middle east has been at war. Usually the OP never returns and I don't blame them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's kinda funny. I have 10 solid hunting rifles in various calibers. For some reason, I am always picking up my 300 Win Mag for my hunts. From Pig, deer, elk, etc....
Hand loaded Barnes TTSX 180GR at 2950FPS really work on anything without any issues of damaging the meat.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMX View Post
It's kinda funny. I have 10 solid hunting rifles in various calibers. For some reason, I am always picking up my 300 Win Mag for my hunts. From Pig, deer, elk, etc....
Hand loaded Barnes TTSX 180GR at 2950FPS really work on anything without any issues of damaging the meat.
Yeah, its hard not to just stick with the good old .3006. It will push a 180gr bullet fast enough for anything within 300yds which the max range I am comfortable with.

Quote:
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen
Old 06-28-2019, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, its hard not to just stick with the good old .3006. It will push a 180gr bullet fast enough for anything within 300yds which the max range I am comfortable with.

Old 06-28-2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
in terms of pure versatility, cost, barrel life, accuracy etc 30-06 followed very closely by 308 is your top choices. Sticking with what you have, that could be a a smart choice when you start factoring in all the variables that apply to you. though it doesn't solve the itch for X if you have one.

I know some people are tunnel visioned in on the on paper ballistics, but external ballistic performance is one of many factors that goes into your choice and your final choice is the result of considering the pro and con of many variables and the compromise each one represents until you figure out what is going to work for you given how you will use the rifle.

your initial post sounded like you had an itch that was for the .270 if that is still the case, my two cents hasn't changed...scratch that itch go with the 270.

For me, that itch is for the 30-06. And since I shoot for my self and my own enjoyment...I could care less that some new whiz bang cartridge might have better on paper ballistics. It was actually German Salazar's blogs before he took them down that created that itch.

Anyway, I am sticking with my advice...get what you want. All the choices you ask about will serve you well for hunting, provided there is California legal bullets available. Get what you think you will enjoy.
Old 06-28-2019, 8:55 PM

For California, I assume blacktail and mule deer. I have not hunted deer in CA, but I believe blacktail is 100-150# while mule can get up to 240# in the west coast. For blacktail, the 243 and 7mm-08 are great hunting calibers with minimum recoil and good selection. Someone else is going to have to speak up on CPX3 class recommendations, but I would think the one with the lowest recoil, thus allowing you to carry a lighter rifle and practice more would be a better recommendation.
Old 06-28-2019, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmboy View Post
For California, I assume blacktail and mule deer. I have not hunted deer in CA, but I believe blacktail is 100-150# while mule can get up to 240# in the west coast. For blacktail, the 243 and 7mm-08 are great hunting calibers with minimum recoil and good selection. Someone else is going to have to speak up on CPX3 class recommendations, but I would think the one with the lowest recoil, thus allowing you to carry a lighter rifle and practice more would be a better recommendation.
Mulies at 7,000ft can get pretty big and wirey. I just dont feel comfortable poking them with something less than 150 grains. Thats why I was interested in at least a .270 for a new gun. Just to buy one of the latest designs. A little white tail doe, yeah sure, .243 is more than sufficient. But Im way past apprentice age, so I'm going after big bucks in high sierra back country. I put in for points every year waiting for an X tag.

Quote:

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 06-28-2019 at 9:33 PM..
Old 06-29-2019, 11:57 AM
Calguns Addict

You might consider waiting for some hunting rifles in 6.5 PRC. It would fit your needs perfectly.

Old 06-29-2019, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Anything not with the MAGNUM designation and doesn't carry a 220gr lead at 3000fps is far too underpowered for deer. And all shots needs to remain under 100yds to remain an ethical kill shot.

😆

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 06-29-2019, 2:52 PM

I've always been partial to 6.5WinnMag above 7,000ft. We hunt above 8 to 10 all the time... One shot.. one kill....
Old 06-30-2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:
...If I wanted a 6.5, and probably will someday, it would be a 6.5x55. Ruger built some for lipseys recently. I’d track down one of those.
They are extremely nice and very precise.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 06-30-2019, 9:27 PM

For me it's .270 for deer and .300 WM for elk. If you want one gun for both then .30-06. I haven't gotten into the 6-6.5 craze. Probably ok for deer although ammo is nowhere near as easy to find as .270 around me but I've heard guys hunting elk with 6.5cm, not for me.
We must be on calguns...
Old 07-02-2019, 11:24 PM

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hntnnut View Post
Please explain just how the cm is better than the .270.

Quote:
I would pick the 6.5 Creedmoor simply because it would also be good for longer range shots on antelope and sheep.
WTF????
Longer shots than a .270?
The 6.5 CM barely outperforms the .260, and then only w/120s and by 100 FPS. It's superior to a .270/150 gr at 3,000 FPS or a 130 gr at 3,200?
Old 07-02-2019, 11:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 yarder View Post
This:

WTF????
Longer shots than a .270?
The 6.5 CM barely outperforms the .260, and then only w/120s and by 100 FPS. It's superior to a .270/150 gr at 3,000 FPS or a 130 gr at 3,200?
Yes.

But as I told the OP, I would seriously consider the 6.5 PRC.

Old 07-03-2019, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Since you already have the 30.06 and the 7mm Rem Mag then I say go small. The 6.5 Creed is getting readily available and will work as far out as you want to shoot.
+1.
Old 07-03-2019, 7:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post

GR
Thats hawt.

Quote:
Old 07-05-2019, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post

GR
I have the .275 rigby version (which I happily bought even though I have a 270win!). An excellent weapon.

I only wish it had been in the budget to get one of the 9.3x62 ones they released last year.

Quote:
Old 07-05-2019, 8:24 AM

Quote:
It's not only the 4 to 6 ounce difference in weight of the rifle. As Napalm mentioned it's also the ammo. I always carry 20 extra rounds when I hunt. Then there's the stiffer short action for accuracy. Also, if you reload, having similar performance with less powder is preferable.

Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.
I don't disagree with anything you've said but I do think you are overstating things.

A shorter action may have a small advantage in accuracy with handloads, off a bench, by an expert shot. I doubt it will matter much shooting off hand in the field. Anyone who misses a deer with a 30.06 within 300 yards probably wasn't going to hit it with a 308.

I think OP said he didn't reload. But even if he did, most folks reloading hunting ammo are probably not producing enough cartridges for the tiny difference in powder to make a difference costwise and the difference between 6.5x55 and 6.5 cm is especially small. The load data is almost interchangeable. (this is because 6.5x55 is actually shorter than most of what we think of as a long cartridge today but since most gunmakers do not make intermediate length actions, modern rifles in 6.5 swede are almost all long)

Even with cartridges like 30.06 and 308, I doubt you'd ever see significant savings for choosing the shorter cartridge. For example, Nosler's load data for the two cartridges using the same powder and bullets is only different by 4 grains. Some reloaders may care but I would never choose one cartridge over another for that reason.

Your point on weight is valid. Though I don't see many hunting scenarios where I'd want to carry that many rounds.

Quote: