Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-08-2019, 9:32 PM

Probably sound like a broken record Savage fanboy... But do play with others like Marlin 1895CB 45/70, Marlin 1894c 357. And yes, have shot Winchester 94 30-30 a bit.

The 300 Savage is 99 years old(1920), and is arguably superior to 30-30. Spitzer bullets, higher velocity, longer range, faster. And was originally designed for a lever action. The 1899 lever action is only 5 years newer than the 1894 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Are there any new cartridges that have been introduced in the last 100 years that can beat 45/70, 30-30 plus a lot more that are 100+ year old ?

Last edited by RNE228; 09-08-2019 at 9:35 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 5:54 AM

So, back to my fever....
I brought her home Friday. The wood and the bluing are awesome.
I'll get some pics up later after I do a teardown and cleaning.
It darn near looks like cosmoline on the insides. I ran a couple of snap caps through and it cycles nice, but the loading gate seems to hang up on the lifter. Could just need to be cleaned, but I won't know till I get her apart.

I like my coffee black and my tea in the harbor.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:09 AM

It'll be fun to shoot!

Was at Sac Valley Saturday; for a bit it was a lever fest!
-Bench to my right guy had Win 94 30-30
-I had the Sav 99 in 300 Savage on the bench
-Bench to my left guy had Marlin 30-30
-Two benches to my left guy and wife had what appeared Marlin 94c 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revhendo View Post
So, back to my fever....
I brought her home Friday. The wood and the bluing are awesome.
I'll get some pics up later after I do a teardown and cleaning.
It darn near looks like cosmoline on the insides. I ran a couple of snap caps through and it cycles nice, but the loading gate seems to hang up on the lifter. Could just need to be cleaned, but I won't know till I get her apart.
Old 09-09-2019, 7:11 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
RNE228

The 308 has no direct connection to the 30-06, except to replace it. The government wanted a 30 cal with similar performance to the 150gr 30-06 in a smaller package.

That cartridge was 300 Savage. When introduced in 1920(99 years ago), it practically matched the performance of 30-06 in a 150 grain spitzer.

With the 300 Savage as the parent cartridge, the cartridge was modified with a slightly longer neck and shoulder so it would feed in machine guns better. They also bumped performance by allowing higher working pressures.

The 308 is very literally a 300 Savage Improved.

I sit corrected, and glad of it.

My associating the two cartridges stems from my reading Jeff Cooper, who thought the .308 capable of almost everything the aught-six is, save for the 220 grains plus bullet weights of the latter.

Cooper preferred the shorter action the .308 allows, resulting in a shorter, lighter, friendlier general purpose rifle.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 09-09-2019, 7:13 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

And congrats! rev.

Too, Cooper used to refer to the ‘94 Winchester as the “Brooklyn Assault Rifle” in the early days of any AR15 hysteria.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A

Last edited by 200Apples; 09-09-2019 at 7:16 AM..
Old 09-09-2019, 8:06 AM

Why are there no "thank" or "like" buttons when you need them?

Old 09-12-2019, 9:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Congrats on your new/old gun. Been a fan of Lever Rifles my whole life.
First as a Used Win .30-30, I as 13yrs old
Next came a New Marlin 39D, just needed another Lever Gun of My own. The Remington Apache Black Nylon 66 just wasn't up to snuff. As good as a .22LR Rifle is was it wasn't a Lever Gun.

Next one was a Win 94 Trapper in .30-30, 1981 model. Just before they changed to Angle Eject and sold off the Company to create U.S. Repeating Arms.
My Wife still favors it for HER home defense gun.

Many more have come, few have gone. Tried just about every Lever Caliber except .32WS, 218Bee, .25-20 and .41Mag. And I've missed the odd ball Winchester and Marlin Proprietary Cartridges of the last 40yrs.

But I'd pick a Lever Gun about 97% of the time.

For Food, Self-Defense or Fun.

And more Ammo to Shoot in it.
Old 09-23-2019, 4:34 PM

So, pictures. I am completely sorry about the size. I am not sure how to dial them back. Overall, the rifle looks good. It's dirty, but that isn't a big deal. It does have one function problem and it looks like I'm gonna be needing a smith.

But first, the bore. Dirty, (possibly leaded?) No dings on the muzzle, the bluing isn't worn.
20190923_164742.jpg

The chamber looks good, the bolt locks up tight, again with the dirt and looking like it hasn't been used or cleaned in a month of Sundays.
20190923_164928.jpg

Can't help myself for being a sucker for blue and wood. Especially if they are looking this nice.
20190923_164524.jpg

Now, the bad. The carrier doesn't drop to the floor after cocking or if you push a round all the way in, it will pop up. This effectively prevents the loading gate from opening. I've had the carrier out, it's not twisted, nor is it binding on the pivot screws. It's pretty much looking like the carrier spring is worn.
The worst. I can't completely tear the rifle down for cleaning and further inspection because the hammer screw is too tight. I mean it is either torqued down by Man Mountain Dean or it is locktighted. I made several attempts at loosening the screw and on my last attempt, as I was saying to myself, "I should probably put some tape o...", the tip on my hollow ground screwdriver broke. Yes, I scratched my rifle and am bummed. I also need a gunsmith before I do something really stupid.

20190923_164949.jpg

I'm really bummed because I wanted to do the Burro Canyon lever shoot. I hope to have this resolved by next month and the next shoot.

Old 09-23-2019, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Did you try putting some heat on the screw?

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 09-23-2019, 5:33 PM

Gooned screws are not the end of the world. When you do get it out just put it in a vice and gently tap the burrs back down, then recut the slot with a small file and reblue it with some cold blue. I do this all the time and it really isn't that hard. You can handle it assuming you have a good set of real screwdrivers.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...--prod417.aspx

Everybody who has guns needs this screwdriver set!

To get it out if it was Loctited just hit it with a small butane torch for a few seconds, then put the correct screw driver bit in it and toonce it with a small hammer. It should break loose then.

Hope this helps

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 09-23-2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Gooned screws are not the end of the world. When you do get it out just put it in a vice and gently tap the burrs back down, then recut the slot with a small file and reblue it with some cold blue. I do this all the time and it really isn't that hard. You can handle it assuming you have a good set of real screwdrivers.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...--prod417.aspx

Everybody who has guns needs this screwdriver set!

To get it out if it was Loctited just hit it with a small butane torch for a few seconds, then put the correct screw driver bit in it and toonce it with a small hammer. It should break loose then.

Hope this helps

Randy
Oh, ya mean that one?
20190923_184752.jpg
Yeah, got that. New 2 are on the way.
I was gonna try heating the threaded end with my soldering iron. I was worried that my butane torch would hurt the bluing. (More than I monkeyed it up.)
Who has the pre 64 carrier spring?