Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-22-2019, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunBrady View Post
I found a Timney on sale for $149 and went with that. It breaks at 2# even. One of my other 2 RPRs still has the stock trigger and it's fine.

It appears to be the same trigger as the short action guns, but the original Timney housing had to be modified because the trigger cutout in the action was shorter on the big guns and Timney skips the spring loaded locking piece at the back of the housing. The new Timneys have been modified to fit both guns, but heads up if you get old stock.

The old design had material behind the rear lug that prevented the trigger from dropping into the receiver and sliding into place.

I modified the housing on mine to remove that material, and so has Timney on current production.
I actually went with the Timney too, but eventually returned it. The amount of overtravel on the Timney was unbearable. I had set my second stage to about 1 lb. Trigger went something like this:

1. Creep
2. 8 Oz first stage
3. 1 lb second
4. Hard, glass breaking firing
5. Lots of overtravel

The above is not smooth, and I was actually shooting much worse with the Timney than the original trigger set to 2.5 lbs. with the Timney I could rarely shoot below .5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Glad to hear the RPR magnum has the same trigger. Iíve kicked around the idea of getting one
Old 08-22-2019, 1:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeTheClay View Post
I actually went with the Timney too, but eventually returned it. The amount of overtravel on the Timney was unbearable. I had set my second stage to about 1 lb. Trigger went something like this:

1. Creep
2. 8 Oz first stage
3. 1 lb second
4. Hard, glass breaking firing
5. Lots of overtravel

The above is not smooth, and I was actually shooting much worse with the Timney than the original trigger set to 2.5 lbs. with the Timney I could rarely shoot below .5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Glad to hear the RPR magnum has the same trigger. I’ve kicked around the idea of getting one
Is there an overtravel adjustment on the trigger?
That would seem to be an easy fix unless the whole safety system that uses an AR safety is part of the problem they are having to design around.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 08-22-2019, 1:38 PM
Calguns Addict

This is one area where I admit it's good to have a Remington (or Remington-adjacent) - triggers. Everyone that makes bolt gun triggers makes it for the Remington first. Sometimes they branch out to other makes and sometimes they don't.
Old 08-22-2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Is there an overtravel adjustment on the trigger?
That would seem to be an easy fix unless the whole safety system that uses an AR safety is part of the problem they are having to design around.
Overtravel adjustment would be an easy fix but for some reason Timney never made an adjustment on the trigger for the RPR.

Last edited by SmokeTheClay; 08-22-2019 at 2:44 PM..
Old 08-22-2019, 4:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeTheClay View Post
Overtravel adjustment would be an easy fix but for some reason Timney never made an adjustment on the trigger for the RPR.
If there's no overtravel adjustment, it's probably related to the need to interface with the AR style selector of the RPR.
On a proper bolt gun trigger where the safety is PART OF the trigger, there can be an overtravel stop.
When you have to fit a safety that's NOT part of the trigger, you don't have the option to have an overtravel stop in many designs.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 08-22-2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
If there's no overtravel adjustment, it's probably related to the need to interface with the AR style selector of the RPR.
On a proper bolt gun trigger where the safety is PART OF the trigger, there can be an overtravel stop.
When you have to fit a safety that's NOT part of the trigger, you don't have the option to have an overtravel stop in many designs.
Youíre way more knowledgeable than me on this. I called Timney and they said they could adjust it. Assuming if they could adjust it, they could have allowed the end user to also adjust it. But this is out of my realm.
Old 08-22-2019, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

What i don’t like about the RPR most of all is the hard bolt lift. A true custom has the smooth as glass bolt lift that is just amazing. Everything else I am fine with for a $1k rifle. If the bolt lift doesn’t bother you, i think you’ll be happy with an RPR
Old 08-22-2019, 9:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
What i donít like about the RPR most of all is the hard bolt lift. A true custom has the smooth as glass bolt lift that is just amazing. Everything else I am fine with for a $1k rifle. If the bolt lift doesnít bother you, i think youíll be happy with an RPR
Heavy bolt lift is a trait of 3 lug actions.
When you have to pull the striker back around 0.2" or so and you only have 60 degrees of bolt rotation to accomplish that, it's going to be heavier than when you have 90 degrees to accomplish the same task because the cocking ramp has to be steeper with less rotation of the bolt.

Old 08-22-2019, 9:46 PM
Calguns Addict

I get that, but some rifles are worse than others regardless of geometry. the Savage 338 was a great example of this. Sticky bolt with factory ammo.

The RPR bolt to me feels almost like there is a step in the way, that's even on top of the heavy lift. The bolt cycling home has the same issue.

There's more I don't care for, but all the rest IMO is fixable (trigger, mag release, etc) or can look past for an inexpensive rifle. I have been very impressed with the accuracy of mine in 6mm, most of the time it clearly shoots better than I do.

They say the RPR is a gateway drug. The bolt lift is what got me looking at a custom build, and boy I fell for the gateway. If the bolt lift were 90% of the way to the custom 700's I have felt, I'd never have gone that far, and just rebarreled my RPR as needed.

-------------------

dumb question, because my rpr came with pmags. does the 338 take AICS mags? CIP length?
Old 08-23-2019, 1:01 AM
Calguns Addict

The lift on Tikkas is fairly light. Even though it's only 2 lug, it's about a 70 degree lift. The 3 lug that has a nice lift is the Curtis Axiom. It's got rollers or something to lighten the lift. It's $1095 but that includes the recoil lug and a 20 moa scope base.
Old 08-31-2019, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I played with the Magnum sized RPR at the big city gun shop today. I didn't especially notice overtravel on the trigger but I did notice some creep before it let off. It's also huge, with a thick barrel, over 15 pounds without a scope. The Ruger rep there said the .300 WinMag I was looking at is soft shooting with the tank brake.