Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-28-2019, 2:52 PM

Question Barrel Life Question

I have a Savage Model 10 in .223 Rem that was purchased new in April of 2019. The barrel is 22" and is not a 'target' barrel.

I keep it clean, and don't allow it to get too hot during any given session. I use factory ammo in weights from 55 gr to 62 gr, copper jacketed. I usually shoot it once per week and put 10-15 rounds down the pipe.

How long can I expect the barrel to last, in terms of total rounds fired, assuming I maintain my current regimen?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks,
--P
Old 08-28-2019, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post
I have a Savage Model 10 in .223 Rem that was purchased new in April of 2019. The barrel is 22" and is not a 'target' barrel.

I keep it clean, and don't allow it to get too hot during any given session. I use factory ammo in weights from 55 gr to 62 gr, copper jacketed. I usually shoot it once per week and put 10-15 rounds down the pipe.

How long can I expect the barrel to last, in terms of total rounds fired, assuming I maintain my current regimen?

--P
Shooting the ammo that is being used will make it more difficult to determine if the barrel is going bad.Another thing to consider is...are you better than the rifle .or is the rifle better than you.
Being able to call your shots will help,any shot not on call is a bad shot.
Old 08-28-2019, 3:11 PM

1000s of rounds?
Old 08-28-2019, 3:15 PM
Calguns Addict

The barrel will outlast you and any kids you have. Just do not let the barrel get hotter than you can hold
Old 08-28-2019, 5:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good shooting habits can prolong the life of a barrel considerably but what's your expectations for the barrel to determine the end of life?

I have a 308 Win that I bought in 1975 that probably has over 15,000 rounds through it. It will still put three bullets into an inch and a half at 100 yards but it used to be a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA rifle. Is it still useful? I would trust it enough to hunt deer with it. The bullets are jumping over .250" to what's left of the barrel's lands but it will kill past 300 yards.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-28-2019, 6:53 PM
Calguns Addict

12 pounds of powder will kill the throat in most barrels.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 08-28-2019, 7:16 PM

I have a Rem 700 in .223, factory heavy 1/12 twist barrel that I use for varmint hunting. Shot it hard, long strings of fire when the squirrels were out, 50 grain bullets going 3400 fps. I had it rebarreled at about 8000 rounds when it got hard to hold sub MOA groups.
Old 08-28-2019, 7:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

--P
The useful life depends on your accuracy requirement.
If you are willing to accept a large degredation of accuracy from when it was new, you can put a LOT more rounds down the barrel before you will feel the need to rebarrel.

Some people shoot 223 barrels to 12,000-15,000 rounds but their accuracy requirement is a 24" wide steel plate at 25-100yds.
Other people might change out a 223 match barrel at 2500 rounds because they are worried that it will not last all the way through another season and do not want to re-barrel their rifle in the middle of the season.

With low quality ammo types that you mention, your accuracy requirement is probably relatively low so you could shoot 5000+ rounds without really noticing a bothersome change in accuracy.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 08-28-2019, 7:52 PM

I think I'm around 2500 rounds of 223 in my savage, but I shoot it until it's burning hot.

Its still a good shooter! Close to the same as new. Maybe not quite, but enough for 8 inch plates at 300.

Savage barrels are cheap, and easy to install at home. I wouldn't pamper one. If you really do shoot it out, I've seen new takeoffs as low as $100.
Old 08-29-2019, 3:21 PM

Thanks, all for the helpful comments.

The take-away seems to be accuracy related: When accuracy falls off to an unacceptable level it's time to change out the barrel.
--P
Old 08-29-2019, 4:14 PM

I feel dumb here... I didn't know you were supposed to change out barrels or that they wore out haha. I just knew in the military we changed them when they were hot

I've honestly never tracked how many rounds I shoot out of any said firearm. I mean, I guess I knew you would need to at some point. But didn't think about any hard set round count. If I was having accuracy issues ( i don't shoot enough now), then I would start looking at things. However, as I get into hunting, I know that will change. I should go even more with my CCW to be honest.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Million Mag March Commemorative Decal HERE

Last edited by USMCmatt; 08-29-2019 at 4:17 PM..
Old 08-29-2019, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

My F-Class barrels get spun off around 1,000 rounds...
Old 08-29-2019, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsumoba View Post
My F-Class barrels get spun off around 1,000 rounds...
I better not shoot F-class,that would cost me four barrels a year.
Old 08-30-2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:

--P
If you are just shooting for fun, and literally only ever shoot 10 to 15 rounds a week, and actually doing this only once a week... that barrel is going to last a while.

Lets say you are actually shooting 20 rounds a week, so a box. 20 x 52 weeks a year equal 1040 rounds a year.

you are going to get 5 to 10 years minimum from that barrel, depending on your criteria. If you don't over heat it, you might get more life.

The simplest criteria for when to re barrel is when the barrel stops delivering usable accuracy for what you use the rifle for. this is NOT the same as group size.