Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogger23m View Post
Not true. Various semi auto rifles are used by many military forces around the world. Practically every country issues a semi auto only DMR/precision rifle. One example is the M110. Some countries even issue or used to issue semi auto rifles as standard issue for riflemen. The British did this up until the 90s with the L1A1.

Fairly irrelevant to the point though; military weapons are protected under the 2nd. But worth pointing out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsmith505 View Post
Thanks. It's important to note, though, that various AW bans focus on defensive rifles, and not sniper rifles and the like. The sentiment about military use of semi-auto is directed in-kind to the types of rifles consistent with the scope of the proposed bans and what may constitute an "assault weapon" at this time.

The antis haven't latched onto long-distance rifles as much, yet.
Old 08-12-2019, 4:10 PM

This case is now on the Supreme Court's website:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....lic/19a11.html

The cert petition is due on September 23, 2019.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:26 AM

Glad it made it! I hope they get someone who can argue better than what happened at the Appeals. That oral was a trainwreck.
Old 08-13-2019, 2:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The case is to overturn the MA AW law entirely, not just the "series" prohibition, correct?
Old 08-13-2019, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryMan92 View Post
Glad it made it! I hope they get someone who can argue better than what happened at the Appeals. That oral was a trainwreck.
Last thing we need is an incompetent lawyer in front of SCOTUS.
Old 08-13-2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
The case is to overturn the MA AW law entirely, not just the "series" prohibition, correct?
IIRC this was directed towards Maura's June 22 Op-Ed/Enforcement notice but it goes on to argue that the whole AWB thing is 2A-prohibited.

If you listen to the orals they basically end up with the "AR-15 = 'the like' = M16 = Machine gun". It was absolutely disastrous.
Old 08-13-2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
IIRC this was directed towards Maura's June 22 Op-Ed/Enforcement notice but it goes on to argue that the whole AWB thing is 2A-prohibited.

If you listen to the orals they basically end up with the "AR-15 = 'the like' = M16 = Machine gun". It was absolutely disastrous.
It sounds exactly like the recent Rupp case in California. The judge found that the AR-15 was "Like" the M16, and the select fire difference was basically irrelevant. Since the Ar-15 was like the M16 it could be banned, per the judges logic.
Old 09-25-2019, 2:47 PM

Supreme Court case page

Cert petition: https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...r%20I%20br.pdf
Old 09-25-2019, 2:57 PM

I like counsel for the petitioners address . . . 1 Constitution Wharf.

At this point, I'll take about anything as a favorable sign.
Old 09-25-2019, 3:47 PM

Having someone that really knows the subject matter is important, but we all know the judges decision that "AR-15=M-16" would have happened regardless of how well or poorly the orals went.

The conservatives on SCOTUS know the difference, so this really isn't an issue in my mind.

Quote: