Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 04-24-2019, 3:45 AM

Default First Appleseed on short notice - how to prepare?

So it looks like I'm going to attend my first Appleseed shoot this weekend! It's a 2-day shoot, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make both days since it's almost two hours away.

What are the best things I can do to prepare on short notice? I have a 10/22 set up already (Tech Sights and a cotton GI sling), so no problem there. But Appleseed's website has a really long "packing list" of recommended items - is there anything that's essential, and anything I can leave home?

Any tips are very welcome, it's high time I get some formal instruction on shooting a rifle and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 04-24-2019, 5:09 AM
Veteran Member

water
shade
layers
sunscreen
chair
water
wet wipes/hand sanitizer
lunch
water
hat
extra ammo
open mind
Old 04-24-2019, 8:03 AM

pain killers for the guaranteed sore muscles.
Old 04-24-2019, 9:06 AM

I am an Appleseed Instructor in Training. The above posts have good lists.

You will be spending a decent amount of time in prone position. Having a shooting mat, yoga mat, carpet pad, or similar to lie on will be very helpful.

Having an open mind and teachable attitude is very important as well.

You will learn a lot! You will have fun! And you will meet some great people.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:26 AM

https://appleseedinfo.org/how-to-prepare/

Most important thing is the teachable attitude. Without it, you won't have a good time.

Instructors are great (ok, yeah I'm an instructor, but I very much remember my first Appleseed.). The people on the line with you are great.

Enjoy.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:11 PM

Attitude and an open mind!

As a former instructor, one of the most striking things was when a guy and his girl would come together, him as a long-time shooter with a lot of experience, her having possibly never even held a gun before, and by the end of the weekend she was shooting rifleman and he was still struggling with things like cadence and sling technique.

Be humble. The reason you're paying money to be there is that the instructors know stuff you don't.

Maybe the biggest thing though is have a good time. Whether you feel you're shooting well or not, it's a day on the range. Don't let your performance impact your attitude or enjoyment. A shooter having a bad day makes a bad day for the instructors, which in turn ruins the shoot for everyone else.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-24-2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
water
shade
layers
sunscreen
chair
water
wet wipes/hand sanitizer
lunch
water
hat
extra ammo
open mind
This is a good list. Angryoldwhiteman mentioned a shooting mat. Very nice, highly recommended, basically a must but it isn't an actual requirement. On that note consider an elbow pad as another luxury that is nice to have.

One thing I would add that is a real good idea is several extra magazines. Nice to have. What you really NEED is a minimum of 2 mags. But bring at least 4.

If you can only make one day make it saturday. And, since you're already there and drove 2 hours to get there then book a cheap room and make sunday as well. Go both days if you can. As it is you will receive a lot of instruction crammed into a weekend. You'll cheat yourself if you skip the second day.

to repeat because its important especially in current weather. Bring lunch. Bring water. Bring shade if you can. I would suggest wearing long sleeve collared shirt, long pants, closed toed shoes BUT as light and as heat friendly as possible. (think sun and hot brass.)

So my list would read: (* = must)

* Teachable attitude
* Open mind
* Rifle with GI cotton sling and at least 2 mags, 4 or more is better
* 400-500 rounds of ammo
* Lunch and snacks
* Water
* Proper clothing (see above)
* notepad and pen (small 3/5 works great)
* eye pro (poly carb)
* ear pro (preferably electronic)

Shooting mat
Elbow pad
typical range kit (spare parts, cleaning kit, lube, etc.)
Shade (ezup)
Ibuprofen or similar

Why am I writing all this out? Just click on the link that Norcal22gal posted.

Cheers.
"It is a precedent fraught with danger for the country, for when Congress once begins to stretch its power beyond the limits of the Constitution, there is no limit to it and no security for the people...the Constitution, to be worth anything, must be held sacred and rigidly observed in all its provisions."--Colonel David Crockett -- A.K.A. Davy Crockett -- -- Member of the U.S. Congress 1827-31 & 1832-35 --

308 Rifle for sale
Old 04-24-2019, 7:25 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I should be able to throw everything together Friday after work - pretty sure I have a shooting mat somewhere, and I have plenty of magazines for my 10/22. Mostly 10rd, but I have some 25rd mags too - would those be worth bringing, or would they just get in the way?

Seems like the key here is to bring a lot of water, and be teachable. Will do!
Old 04-25-2019, 6:22 AM

Not just water, electrolytes. But yes to plenty of fluids.

25 rounder will just get in the way. Course of fire accommodates M1 Garand so you'll be shooting lots of 5 rounds, 2 + 8 rounds, and 10 rounds strings of fire.

Have a way to quickly attach and detach the rear of your sling from the stud/socket, front never has to move.

Chair, lunch, sunscreen, I like naproxin for 12 hours of pain relief, we're not going for comfort, we are going for a stable shooting platform (your body).

Hat to keep the sun off your face, you may not need it but you'll be happy you have it.

Tools, you will need to adjust your sights, you may need to extract a spent case that your extractor slipped over, tighten your stock, etc. If you are driving that far you'll want to have that kind of stuff to fix any problems on site.

Spend a little time today/tomorrow limbering up. Try to sit cross-legged if you can, stretch your back and hips.

Have fun!
Old 04-25-2019, 11:07 AM

Have a great time!!!
Old 05-01-2019, 7:21 PM

Soooo....How was your event????
Old 05-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Fixed it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal22Gal View Post
https://appleseedinfo.org/how-to-prepare/

Most important thing is the teachable attitude. Without it, you won't have a good time.

Instructors are great (ok, yeah I'm an Awesome instructor, but I very much remember my first Appleseed.). The people on the line with you are great.

Enjoy.
Old 05-02-2019, 7:59 PM

LOL...thanks.
Old 05-02-2019, 9:09 PM

Stretching as lots of going from standing to kneeling, standing to prone under time constraints. You will be sore at end of each day. Wear long sleeve shirt, I had brass burns down both arms and on chest.

PM me for your FrontSight needs.

WTB: Sig 220 Legion
Old 05-17-2019, 2:41 PM

Sorry if this is a silly question, but when you say shade, do you mean we can stick a pop up on the firing line? Or it's for back a bit off the line to go to when we're not shooting?
Old 05-17-2019, 7:57 PM

Shade is for behind the firing line when not shooting and receiving instruction