Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-15-2020, 4:12 AM

Default Telling Others

Numerous posts are coming up about societal concerns. Add in Covid, elections, and economy we got a real serious teetering on collapse that I hope our nation avoids. Do you tell others or share that concern with others? Distant family? Friends or do workers?
Old 09-15-2020, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Numerous posts are coming up about societal concerns. Add in Covid, elections, and economy we got a real serious teetering on collapse that I hope our nation avoids. Do you tell others or share that concern with others? Distant family? Friends or do workers?
Been talking with others about it for MONTHS. I run a small retail business ("essential", even though I HATE that term) and have been open the entire time. I've always sat and talked with customers, many I've known for decades, but have certainly talked more with them through this mess. The conversations have been amazing and so disturbing. People are scared and fed up and just waiting for what comes next. The consensus is that this whole mess has been used for politics and we're just waiting on the election to see 'what happens'. I don't disagree. I could go on and on and on.... some truly amazing and a few really awful conversations. Mostly, I'm very pleased with what people have had to say but there are exceptions.

I'll be very interested to see what others' opinions and experiences on this.
Old 09-15-2020, 5:27 AM
Calguns Addict

It depends who I'm talking to. There's a lot of FUD out there and people's plates are full with concerns about putting food on the table, missing house/CC payments, no child care and jobs being lost due to unconstitutional lock downs. On top of that we all are dealing with the mandatory COVID face diaper enforcement.

Most recently I find that people have an indifference to any problems beyond what I mentioned. Some say they just want it over with come what may.

My family, friends pretty much feel the way I do about the current events. That could change though. Things are getting ugly out here in the hinterland so it's not just the cities now.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 09-15-2020 at 5:34 AM.. Reason: re-writing is good writig...
Old 09-15-2020, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

I only have but a couple friends - very good friends - who I discuss this sort of stuff with.

Other "normal" / business people, colleagues & acquaintances; I keep it light & optimistic.

It's weird; part of me really wants to think everything will be OK in the long run / big picture, but the other part of me thinks we're literally on the precipice of very serious societal collapse, bordering on possible actual civil war.

Weird times....
Old 09-16-2020, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post

It's weird; part of me really wants to think everything will be OK in the long run / big picture, but the other part of me thinks we're literally on the precipice of very serious societal collapse, bordering on possible actual civil war.

Weird times....
THIS ^^^^^
Even my wife is kinda thinking the same thing. Which scares even me!!
Old 09-16-2020, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

Of course I've been talking about events to varying degrees depending on whether or not the person to whom I'm speaking is a part of our circle or not. It's always advisable to be in close contact with those who are part of your circle.

As for those on the outside, I'll mention certain things based on my level of respect for them. If they evince a desire for discussion, then we'll go a bit more in depth and breadth, and round and round, depending on things like what I sense about their level of interest, my level of respect for them, how much time I have, etc.
Old 09-16-2020, 7:37 AM

I'm retired and stay at home a lot so I don't interact much with people outside of immediate family. About ten years ago my ex-wife started following politics and realized she was a conservative but doesn't give a lot of thought to how bad things could get. My oldest son has the attitude that if things are going to go to hell we may as well get it over with. My youngest son knows that things could get bad but thinks they will eventually return to normal.
I visit my daughter and SIL at least once a week and we talk about the current situation a lot. They know how bad it could get and are prepared. They have a safe full of guns and two boxes full of loaded LC magazines (AR15) as well as a decent supply of bulk ammo. He was a prepper when she met him and they have a garage full of supplies.
He spent 6 years in the Marine Corps and has been with the LASD for 29 years so I know my daughter is in good hands.
Old 09-16-2020, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madland View Post
THIS ^^^^^
Even my wife is kinda thinking the same thing. Which scares even me!!
I think the technical term for it is "normalcy bias" - things are always going to continue to be, the way they have been.....

Crazy times.

At least it gives me a hell of an excuse to load up on guns, gear, etc.
Old 09-16-2020, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
I only have but a couple friends - very good friends - who I discuss this sort of stuff with.

Other "normal" / business people, colleagues & acquaintances; I keep it light & optimistic.

Weird times....
Civil war talk is more common these days than at any other recent decades/years. Not just YouTube (tubers types).

I make no predictions in this regard, but to dismiss it out of hand isn't a good survival tactic IMO. Trigger points were discussed in a thread Librarian posted some time back and I think that type of discussion still needs to happen. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1498000

Just because some people think it'll never happen doesn't mean it won't or could under the right set of circumstances.

I keep my faith in God and keep my powder dry. Just in case.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 09-16-2020 at 10:32 AM..
Old 09-16-2020, 10:52 AM

Only been discussing societal break-down preparedness since Y2K...