Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 9:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default A word of caution - flare launchers on semiauto rifles...

This is a word of caution, a few things I've been hearing directly or indirectly have raised my hackles and I wanna help keep folks squared away...

There seem to be quite a few folks dressing up their gripless, MonsterMan, or U15-equipped OLL-based rifles with fake M203 tubes that launch flare cartridges. This is a no-no.

FLARE LAUNCHERS ARE AN 'EVIL FEATURE' ON SEMIAUTO CENTERFIRE RIFLES WITH DETACHABLE MAGAZINES!!

It appears some people haven't tuned in to the whole list of evil AW features for semiautomatic centerfire rifles w/detachable mags, and just worry about the basic pistol grips & telestock items - and somehow they end up thinking a 'flare launcher' is a legally 'neutral' device, like a bayonet lug or threaded bbl on a rifle. Remember,
12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine
and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

So,
  • IF YOU HAVE A SEMIAUTO CENTERFIRE RIFLE WITH A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE,
    YOU CANNOT HAVE A FLARE LAUNCHER AFFIXED.

• IF YOU HAVE A FLARE LAUNCHER ON YOUR SEMIAUTO CENTERFIRE RIFLE,
    YOUR RIFLE MUST HAVE A FIXED 10-RD MAGAZINE.

I also trust no one has a true grenade launcher on their rifle of any sort (even like those originally moutned on Yugo M59/66 carbines) - such devices are intrinsically illegal even without being attached to a firearm (12301(a)(4) PC, destructive device statutes).

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 05-24-2007 at 9:15 PM..
Closed Thread