Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 12:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
So what if he works for SSD? That doesn't negate what he said. How is he being deceptive because he works for SSD? Who cares where he works?
Where do you work? What's your name and title where you work (since you asked him that)?

Am I being deceptive too, because I work for the State of California and sometimes post from work, also?
Kestryll didn't ask for his name and title, I did. The issue is not so much where he works but rather the fact that he was posting under the guise of being joe citizen when in fact he is a part of the department. Also, to clear up any other misconceptions, this is a LEO friendly community and I personally would welcome anyone from the various LEA's.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 07-04-2010, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Kestryll didn't ask for his name and title, I did. The issue is not so much where he works but rather the fact that he was posting under the guise of being joe citizen when in fact he is a part of the department. Also, to clear up any other misconceptions, this is a LEO friendly community and I personally would welcome anyone from the various LEA's.

Then I'm sure you'd have no problem telling everyone your name and where you work and your title there, right?

There sure is a lot of hypocrisy on CalGuns...
Old 07-04-2010, 9:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thebronze, you do acknowledge the difference between a public and private industry employee, right?
Old 07-04-2010, 9:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Then I'm sure you'd have no problem telling everyone your name and where you work and your title there, right?

My name and profession are already on this board,just do a search for "CRPA" or better yet wait for you next issue of The Firing Line to be delivered to your doorstep. You are still missing the issue though.

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 07-04-2010, 9:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

There is a big difference between ObeyGiant and No Spin. ObeyGiant didn't come in here pretending to be someone he was not and pushing a biased agenda as if he were a disinterested bystander.

Furthermore, even before Kestryl revealed the origin of the posts, No Spin came over as a belligerant, unnecessarily rude poster with a bad attitude.

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post
There is a big difference between ObeyGiant and No Spin. ObeyGiant didn't come in here pretending to be someone he was not and pushing a biased agenda as if he were a disinterested bystander.

Furthermore, even before Kestryl revealed the origin of the posts, No Spin came over as a belligerant, unnecessarily rude poster with a bad attitude.
We'll have to disagree on that. I don't see how he was pretending to be anything he wasn't. If he would've come on and said "I work for SSD and here's what I think..." would that have made you feel better?

So now everyone that posts on here has to state where they work and who they are, so we can make sure they have no personal agenda or bias or make sure they're not posting on company time?

That's ridiculous. EVERYONE on this board has an agenda AND a bias.

I'm done arguing about this. It's stupid.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
We'll have to disagree on that. I don't see how he was pretending to be anything he wasn't. If he would've come on and said "I work for SSD and here's what I think..." would that have made you feel better?

So now everyone that posts on here has to state where they work and who they are, so we can make sure they have no personal agenda or bias or make sure they're not posting on company time?

Indeed. What about GOVERNMENT does not get through your skull?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
Indeed. What about GOVERNMENT does not get through your skull?

Ohhh Scary! The GOVERNMENT is baaaaaaad!

Spare me.
Old 07-04-2010, 2:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
At least we can agree on that^^

Old 07-04-2010, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
At least we can agree on that^^
Old 07-04-2010, 2:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ohhh Scary! The GOVERNMENT is baaaaaaad!

Spare me.
Fine.

NO BRAIN TRANSPLANT FOR YOU!
Old 07-04-2010, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Definitely stupid, but not for the reason you think.

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 07-04-2010, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post
Definitely stupid, but not for the reason you think.
Right. I shall bow now...
Old 07-04-2010, 3:15 PM

BTW, did you catch that other guy in the CCW section that "fell through the cracks"?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Spin View Post
OK, scratch my First Ammendment rights on a technicality, haha. My point is that pompous and nieve attacks on my FIRST POST on local politics from someone 1000 miles away are silly and hold no merit.

Now, you want to turn this into a JONES VS COOPER race. Let me respond from my FIRST post, however ROOKIE "ya'll mite thunk it mea bee":

The best indicator of the future is history...Hence.

Craig + Blanas + McGinness + Jones = Same Ole Same Ole...the maths pretty easy....

As far as Cooper, dont know. But, I do know his stated policy here is more complex than just "passing it to DOJ". Its uniformity to more CCW flexible Counties in the State and he doesnt lie to get a vote. Secondly, at least Cooper is a Cop, Jones, a lawyer.

And yes, he was Blanas's Legal Advisor and continues to be McGinness's.
And yes, he wrote the current policy to protect McGinness, not us. What do you think Legal Advisors do.

And yes, in the last 8 months more CCW's have been issued...whats changed. A "LEGAL" issue or an election...still waiting for that response...

Or, maybe he's treating us like fools to get elected...go ahead and be led down that road my friend, I wont be.
My Issue with Cooper is not his CCW policy as much as the tone he takes. Cooper strikes me as the cop who has been on the beat way to long. He strikes me as a man who views those who hate cops as either criminals or those with issues for authority. Cooper carries a very big "US vs THEM" attitude which is a problem often found amongst career cops. Is this a problem? Not if your career plan is to never do anything in a supervisor capacity and are happy patrolling South Sac or Oak Park, however if you are going to be put into a position where you will be making decisions that ultimately effect the entire population of your county, then you can't have the "US vs THEM" attitude.

Sadly you are right on one point. All of our previous Sheriffs have had the "US vs THEM" attitude, so they have all been the same. So Cooper will be another in the long line of Sheriff's who view their county residents as nothing, but potential suspects rather then law bidding citizens. I do not support Jones, because I believe he too carries the same career cop attitude that every citizen is a suspect. My candidate was Bret Daniels. He lost and now my vote will go to Jones, because of his CCW stance.

This being said, I believe the biggest problem with our Sheriffs Department is their lack of community service. Not every citizen is a suspect you need a plan to arrest or kill, they are the people you are suppose to be servicing. Take a page from Cpt Hahn with Sac PD and I think the Sheriffs Department will find themselves sitting in a much better boat.

off topic rant, over...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not surprising or extremely and maybe not extremely significant to the CCW discussion at hand, but somewhat:

Quote:
Sacramento County sheriff to cut up to 50 positions
By Robert Lewis
rlewis@sacbee.com
Published: Tuesday, Jul. 13, 2010 - 11:19 am

Sacramento County is cutting nearly 50 filled positions from the Sheriff's Department as a result of the budget the Board of Supervisors approved last month.

The cuts mean 23 deputies, a captain, six lieutenants, four sergeants and eight records officers will lose their jobs in the middle of August. Some higher-rank officers will be demoted to lower ranks.

The board restored tens of millions of dollars to the Sheriff's Department during budget hearings. Even with the extra funding, that department had a shortfall of nearly $20 million.

Unlike in other departments, the sheriff -- as an elected official -- controls his own budget and doesn't need to tell the rest of county administration how he will use the money he receives. Therefore, it wasn't clear until this week how the funding reduction would impact the department.

The cuts shouldn't affect patrol services and instead will mean closure of some detention facility units.
Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/13/288...#ixzz0tamtZYlC
Old 07-22-2010, 9:22 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I just got back from my appointment with Amber Wong. It was painless and extremely easy.

I made sure to dress nicely. Black button down, khakis, dress shoes. I gave myself plenty of time because parking around there is OFTEN a big pain (and was especially so today because there's a lot of construction going on). I found a parking spot and went into 711 G St. The guy who helped me up front was very nice. He asked for my ID and asked to see my written statement, then gave me a visitors pass and had me take a seat. I was told I could go up to Amber's office a few minutes later (3rd floor, turn right, first door on left and ring the little bell). Amber was awesome. She was nice, made friendly conversation, and was very pleasant to deal with. She asked all the questions on the application that are considered the "interview questions". Address, have you ever been convicted of mental illness, ever had a firearm incident, etc. I asked how long she thought it would be from today until I actually heard a decision, she said a detective would be calling me in the next few weeks to ask me some more questions, and then they were doing a committee meeting in August so I should know sometime next month. She took my check and paperwork, I thanked her and I was on my way. From the time I arrived (I was there about 15 min before my appt) til the time I left was about half an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Bring in a bullet button and a mop. Ask him if he knows which is which.
Old 07-22-2010, 9:23 AM

To those that have tried to schedule an appointment to turn in a completed CCW packet, how long has Officer Wong's voicemail box been full? I have called and tried to leave a message nearly five times over the past two weeks.
Old 07-22-2010, 9:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofasterdammit View Post
To those that have tried to schedule an appointment to turn in a completed CCW packet, how long has Officer Wong's voicemail box been full? I have called and tried to leave a message nearly five times over the past two weeks.
Is documenting this now going to be an important issue? I can imagine that if the sheriff isn't adequately staffing his CCW department today it will get worse, not better, if they lose Sykes. It would certainly be good if this could be brought before the judge somehow so his decision can address this issue.

Otherwise it might be necessary to have everyone submit their apps via certified mail after Sykes.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 07-22-2010, 9:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Is documenting this now going to be an important issue? I can imagine that if the sheriff isn't adequately staffing his CCW department today it will get worse, not better, if they lose Sykes. It would certainly be good if this could be brought before the judge somehow so his decision can address this issue.

Otherwise it might be necessary to have everyone submit their apps via certified mail after Sykes.
Or process server...
Old 07-22-2010, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofasterdammit View Post
Check your PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 3:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I need to call Amber this week or next. If someone has an easier way of calling her than calling the number on their web site, please send it to me via PM. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

One has to catch her live. She does not seem to respond to email or voicemail.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 07-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Banned

Auto-responder: Your e-mail has been automatically deleted, and not read by the recipient.
Voicemail greeting: Please hang up before the beep.
Old 07-23-2010, 4:42 AM

I called one time and got an appt.
Old 07-23-2010, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
One has to catch her live. She does not seem to respond to email or voicemail.

-Gene
Assuming we win. Would this be legal post-Sykes, or is there a minimal required effort to serve such requests? Not that there is any positive that can be done by rocking the boat at this time.
650-315-2210
Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Assuming we win. Would this be legal post-Sykes, or is there a minimal required effort to serve such requests? Not that there is any positive that can be done by rocking the boat at this time.
It's not appropriate post Sykes behavior but its not yet worth chasing down. It will be in the near future.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 07-27-2010, 9:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Got lucky and got through on the phone and made an appointment. Amber indicated her mail box gets full a couple of times a day.
Old 07-27-2010, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
Got lucky and got through on the phone and made an appointment. Amber indicated her mail box gets full a couple of times a day.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I just got a phone call from a detective about my CCW. I called him back and left a message. What kind of questions can I expect?
Quote:
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Old 07-29-2010, 3:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyourmile View Post
I just got a phone call from a detective about my CCW. I called him back and left a message. What kind of questions can I expect?
Very routine. It's usually meant to check that your employer really is your employer for example if they called your work number.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 07-29-2010, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyourmile View Post
Interesting, they are not processing apps FIFO. You submitted your app after mine had been in for a week + I think. I have not had a call yet.
Old 07-29-2010, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
Wildhawker has posted all 3 things that Sheriff McGinness wants you to read. FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE outlined. I've heard of several CCW's being issued in Sacramento County in the past few months, so they ARE issuing them.
Issuing is not in question. There is always an approval. But to whom? That's dogma in its self.
Old 07-29-2010, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anothercoilgun View Post
Issuing is not in question. There is always an approval. But to whom? That's dogma in its self.
It is important to know what you are talking about before posting. Do you have some inside information about CCW issuance in Sacramento that causes you to believe that they are not being issued for relatively straight forward "good cause?"
650-315-2210
Old 07-30-2010, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
Interesting, they are not processing apps FIFO. You submitted your app after mine had been in for a week + I think. I have not had a call yet.
The detective did make a comment about how he had about 5 or 6 applications in front of him. My guess is he waits until they get to a certain point and then makes all his phone calls. He said they were having a committee meeting mid-August to decide...I would assume as long as you get a phonecall before then you're good to go
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-04-2010, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

well, I have my appointment tomorrow. Wish me luck. BTW what did you guys use for your second form of ID?
Old 08-04-2010, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
well, I have my appointment tomorrow. Wish me luck. BTW what did you guys use for your second form of ID?
I brought in my DMV reg. But never presented it. The receptionist will ask for your Drivers license and your good cause statement. He is prepared to turn you away if your good cause is not listed on a seperate sheet. He will take your ID as collateral for the visitor pass he will give you. When you go upstairs no one up there will ask for anymore ID. So you will only use one ID even though they ask for two. The Sac Sheriff application process is down to a science. As far as issuance, The jury is still out for me.
Old 08-04-2010, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmaster View Post
I brought in my DMV reg. But never presented it. The receptionist will ask for your Drivers license and your good cause statement. He is prepared to turn you away if your good cause is not listed on a seperate sheet. He will take your ID as collateral for the visitor pass he will give you. When you go upstairs no one up there will ask for anymore ID. So you will only use one ID even though they ask for two. The Sac Sheriff application process is down to a science. As far as issuance, The jury is still out for me.
Thanks for the info and good luck to you.
Old 08-05-2010, 9:09 AM

Just came back from the Sheriff's Department. Check in process was similar to bombmaster's. I presented the Deputy my driver's license. He didn't specifically ask for my good cause statement, but I presented it to him anyway based on bombmaster's experience. He handed my good cause statement back. I received my visitor's badge, and had a seat.

When Amber is ready, the Deputy will call you up and allow you to proceed through the secured doors and up the elevator.

Pretty straight forward. Amber estimates that I will receive a phone call within a couple of weeks. A time line has yet to be determined when it may be approved or denied. It was related to me that a committee member is preparing to retire and may take sometime for the Sheriff to appoint another.

Amber was very nice. So far, it has been a smooth experience.

Last edited by derek@thepackingrat.net; 08-05-2010 at 9:17 AM..
Old 08-05-2010, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Just got back too. The most difficult thing about the whole experience was getting the kiosk to print out my parking permit. Super quick. I was in with Amber less than 5 minutes.
Closed Thread