Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

I would not recommend mailing your application. Amber goes over the application with you when you turn it in to make sure it is filled out correctly.
Old 06-22-2010, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox X View Post
I would not recommend mailing your application. Amber goes over the application with you when you turn it in to make sure it is filled out correctly.
Ugh. I'm so frustrated over so much conflicting advice. I went ahead and mailed it yesterday but I'm feeling really unsure about the whole thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Bring in a bullet button and a mop. Ask him if he knows which is which.
Old 06-22-2010, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyourmile View Post
Ugh. I'm so frustrated over so much conflicting advice. I went ahead and mailed it yesterday but I'm feeling really unsure about the whole thing.
I would not sweat it, one way or another we will all get there sooner or later. I have a feeling in my bones.
Old 06-22-2010, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I sent you a PM. Chill. Btw, also, follow the advice of the person by refusing to press a number and wait for the operator. That's a terrible phone system, btw.
Old 06-22-2010, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Gray,
Did Amber ever return that email you sent asking her why she wasn't picking up the phone?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Calguns Addict

I think it's a malfunction in the phone system. Just do not dial 1 and it'll dial an operator and she should pick up. If you still can't get it, just PM me please.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Truth: Yes, please.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Truth: Yes, please.
Concur, and truth, check your PM's.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Thanks! I replied to your PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 6:01 AM

I am going to start my application today, however I have a question about

"Proof that the person applying has completed, at least, a 16-hour course of training including instruction on firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm"

Do I have to complete this class BEFORE I apply?

Will my DD214 suffice or do I have to take a class at one of the places listed on the application process paper?

Also, what does the class cover?

And finally what positions/distances/scores does one have to shoot for qualifications?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2010, 6:08 AM
Calguns Addict

You don't have to take the class until after you are approved. I don't know how much it costs or what it covers 'cause I haven't been approved yet.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Here is the reply from Amber.

Quote:
Good Morning,

Unfortunately Applications can not be accepted via mail. Once received it will be sent back to you. The next available appointment I have for you to turn it in would be Thurs July 22nd at 0930am. Would you like me to schedule you for this?

~Amber
Quote:
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Go ahead and schedule the appointment.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Go ahead and schedule the appointment.
I did. I replied as soon as I got it and the appointment is scheduled. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through but I'm glad my appointment is finally made and it's less than a month out!

So I make the appointment and turn in the application. What happens next? Whats the time frame on all of this like?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I did. I replied as soon as I got it and the appointment is scheduled. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through but I'm glad my appointment is finally made and it's less than a month out!

So I make the appointment and turn in the application. What happens next? Whats the time frame on all of this like?
Below is based on my conversations with other successful applicants that have recently gone through the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
It will reportedly be another 3-4 weeks after application submission to get the phone interview done. Dunno how long is takes to get approval/denial, but I'm personally not expecting that to be done in less than another 3-4 weeks from the phone interview, though they have 90 days from submission of app or 30 days after DOJ background results, whatever is later to get back to you. Anecdotal research I have done indicates that from application submission to permit in hand is about 6 months if all goes well.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Below is based on my conversations with other successful applicants that have recently gone through the process.
Aright thanks. Good to know an estimated waiting time.

Anyone know what qualification with your weapon is like?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-23-2010, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Aright thanks. Good to know an estimated waiting time.

Anyone know what qualification with your weapon is like?
All stages are fired after drawing from concealment from what I understand.

Range Qualification
Objective: individual shall pass firearm qualification based on his or her demonstrated use
of weapon-

A. Course of fire
Stage 1. 15 yards 6 rounds in 30 seconds
(standing position)

Stage 2. 7 yards 11 rounds in 45 seconds
includes 2 reloads) (load 6, 6 and 2)
6 standing position
8 kneeling position

Stage 3. 7 yards 12 rounds in 25 seconds
(includes reloads) (load 6 and 6)
6 strong hand unsupported
(reload and then switch hands)
6 weak hand unsupported

Stage 4 7 yards 6 rounds in 10 seconds (any position)

Stage 5 5 yards 6 rounds
*3 rounds in 4 seconds (2 stages)

Stage 6 3 yards 6 rounds
2 rounds in 3 seconds (3 stages)

B. Scoring:
1. Silhouette targets shall he used. A 5 point score shall he granted for each
round discharged in head or body kill area.
2. Each individual shall qualify with an 80% score (200 out 250 points) on the scoring segments
3. Each individual shall be informed whether his or her score passed or failed.

Last edited by jb7706; 06-23-2010 at 3:57 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 06-23-2010, 2:40 PM

Last year Both of my 2 children, myself and my wife took a NRA basic pistol course. It was 2 full days 16+hours first day was all class and 2nd was all range. The instructor told us at the time it was a valid course for California CCW requirements. Upon completion he told us we should all go out and get a CCW licence. Truth or FUD and if true what is the expiration date of the certificate ?

Last edited by Mstrty; 06-23-2010 at 2:42 PM..
Old 06-23-2010, 2:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
We'll address this separately; please proceed as per Gray's instructions.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-23-2010, 2:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So per some statements made in another thread: Are requiring reference letters legal or not?

Been trying to get clarification on that statement but to no avail.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 06-23-2010, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmaster View Post
Last year Both of my 2 children, myself and my wife took a NRA basic pistol course. It was 2 full days 16+hours first day was all class and 2nd was all range. The instructor told us at the time it was a valid course for California CCW requirements. Upon completion he told us we should all go out and get a CCW licence. Truth or FUD and if true what is the expiration date of the certificate ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA PC 12050
(E) (i) For new license applicants, the course of training may be
any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall not exceed 16
hours, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and
the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm.
Notwithstanding
this clause, the licensing authority may require a community college
course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and
Training, up to a maximum of 24 hours, but only if required uniformly
of all license applicants without exception.
There is nothing in the NRA Basic Pistol class that covers "law regarding the permissible use of a firearm" so I'm guessing not. The application specifies that you must take the course at one of the 6 authorized locations. I also know NRA certified pistol instructors that still had to take the CCW class at one of the 6 approved locations. I'm pretty sure your handgun cert would count as "other training" on your app but does not really get you anything more than one attaboy.
Old 06-23-2010, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

If your class was at one of the six approved vendors and was for CCW... you'd be fine. Otherwise, no, that training would not be valid.
Old 06-23-2010, 3:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
So per some statements made in another thread: Are requiring reference letters legal or not?

Been trying to get clarification on that statement but to no avail.
No they are not. See Penal Code 12051, no other forms may be required.
Old 06-23-2010, 3:11 PM

Quote:
No they are not. See Penal Code 12051, no other forms may be required.
Humble Brave must take exception to your conclusion. The letters of character go towards vetting the applicant for 'character' ala background investigation. Some departments contact the letter writers.

If you think a Federal Judge will throw out that department requirement I have some Obama approved windmills I would like you to tilt at. Yes, you may be accompanied by your faithful sidekick and his donkey.

Letters of character are an investigative tool just as would be the requirement of a letter from an employer. Brave has been on this path before.

Brave love to read.

Billy Jack
'The Force is strong with this one'

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

Last edited by Billy Jack; 06-23-2010 at 3:13 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-23-2010, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
Humble Brave must take exception to your conclusion. The letters of character go towards vetting the applicant for 'character' ala background investigation. Some departments contact the letter writers.

If you think a Federal Judge will throw out that department requirement I have some Obama approved windmills I would like you to tilt at. Yes, you may be accompanied by your faithful sidekick and his donkey.

Letters of character are an investigative tool just as would be the requirement of a letter from an employer. Brave has been on this path before.

Brave love to read.

Billy Jack
Has nothing at all to do with a federal judge, it's more of a state law question than anything else at this point. I understand that the application itself has three references inside of it, but why should the sheriff be able to force YOU to do the leg work of getting the letters when they get paid the $20 to process your app for good cause? This was discussed in great detail in Connecticut, where they have "proper cause" and moral character provisions as well. Their BFPE (Board of Firearms Permit Examiners) went into great detail as to why "Character Reference" letters were worthless because you would self select the people you trust the most to write you a reference letter.

If you're employer is not included in the good cause (such as doing executive protection work), or it's one of the 90 day temporary CCW's, why would a letter from an employer have anything to do with your good cause or good moral character? Do you realize that even bringing up guns in the workplace can result in a job termination because of the bare fear that the employee *might* carry a gun or have the legal capability of doing so? My company, for example, absolutely FORBIDS any supervisors or management from writing a letter in the form that you talk about.

These are more logistics questions rather than legal questions. I may question their ability to do so under state law, but even if it was legal, it seems like a bit of a dodge and a logistics nightmare, and the character reference letter requirements has been abused in the forms of requirements that the people be from within the county, or in an extreme case (Imperial County), required to be from a certain class of people.

It's also slightly off topic for this thread (sorry Untamed) as Sacramento does not require letters of character reference.
Old 06-23-2010, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Has nothing at all to do with a federal judge, it's more of a state law question than anything else at this point. I understand that the application itself has three references inside of it, but why should the sheriff be able to force YOU to do the leg work of getting the letters when they get paid the $20 to process your app for good cause? This was discussed in great detail in Connecticut, where they have "proper cause" and moral character provisions as well. Their BFPE (Board of Firearms Permit Examiners) went into great detail as to why "Character Reference" letters were worthless because you would self select the people you trust the most to write you a reference letter.

If you're employer is not included in the good cause (such as doing executive protection work), or it's one of the 90 day temporary CCW's, why would a letter from an employer have anything to do with your good cause or good moral character? Do you realize that even bringing up guns in the workplace can result in a job termination because of the bare fear that the employee *might* carry a gun or have the legal capability of doing so? My company, for example, absolutely FORBIDS any supervisors or management from writing a letter in the form that you talk about.

These are more logistics questions rather than legal questions. I may question their ability to do so under state law, but even if it was legal, it seems like a bit of a dodge and a logistics nightmare, and the character reference letter requirements has been abused in the forms of requirements that the people be from within the county, or in an extreme case (Imperial County), required to be from a certain class of people.

It's also slightly off topic for this thread (sorry Untamed) as Sacramento does not require letters of character reference.
What other states do is not relevant to this discussion. Why waste time and resources on minutia? I do not care if it is a state or Federal issue, an attorney would not waste their time on it nor would a Judge be amused to have it as an issue in their court.

Let it go my friend. All the department has to do is explain it is necessary for the investigative process and your are out the door. Been doing CCW issues for over 25 years and I have real world, practical experience, not armchair theory. In simple words, I know what works and I know what are foolish wastes of time and resources. 'A man's got to know their limitations' Dirty Harry Calahan
This Brave will not address this matter further.

Billy Jack

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com
Old 06-23-2010, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Then have them apply by filling out the app and send it into them Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested.
you have to call between certain hours on thursday if I remember right and make an appointment to bring it in.
Old 06-23-2010, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rubicon View Post
you have to call between certain hours on thursday if I remember right and make an appointment to bring it in.
Where is it stated that you have to call between certain hours on Thursday? Sounds like FUD
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-23-2010, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rubicon View Post

If anyone is having difficulty calling through a day, please PM me and I'll share with you a contact method.
Old 06-23-2010, 9:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Where did you get that info and what size silhouettes are they?

Quote:
All stages are fired after drawing from concealment from what I understand.

Range Qualification
Objective: individual shall pass firearm qualification based on his or her demonstrated use
of weapon-

A. Course of fire
Stage 1. 15 yards 6 rounds in 30 seconds
(standing position)

Stage 2. 7 yards 11 rounds in 45 seconds
includes 2 reloads) (load 6, 6 and 2)
6 standing position
8 kneeling position

Stage 3. 7 yards 12 rounds in 25 seconds
(includes reloads) (load 6 and 6)
6 strong hand unsupported
(reload and then switch hands)
6 weak hand unsupported

Stage 4 7 yards 6 rounds in 10 seconds (any position)

Stage 5 5 yards 6 rounds
*3 rounds in 4 seconds (2 stages)

Stage 6 3 yards 6 rounds
2 rounds in 3 seconds (3 stages)

B. Scoring:
1. Silhouette targets shall he used. A 5 point score shall he granted for each
round discharged in head or body kill area.
2. Each individual shall qualify with an 80% score (200 out 250 points) on the scoring segments
3. Each individual shall be informed whether his or her score passed or failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Testicles of steel, bladder of titanium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Sacramento Community Chapter Social Group... Join Here!
Old 06-23-2010, 9:43 PM

Right now, the unofficial requirement is that you have a photograph of the sheriff or a high-ranking member of the brass with all of the following:

* The board game "twister".

* A jug of crisco[tm].

* A sheep, goat or male chimpanzee.

Post-McDonald, we'll see...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Dude, where's the puke smiley?

Besides, the above is , though not without it's causes in the Glen Craig/Lou Blanas era.

The rest of you:

If you're a resident of Sacramento County, please contact me via PM and I will give you instructions on what you need to do and WHY.

Thanks,

Gray
Old 06-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Dude, where's the puke smiley?
Here you go:

I like this one better, though:

Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Since I recently went through the process, here is my .02 on what happens after submitting application to Amber:

Be nice to Amber. She is a great person.

About 10 - 14 days after, a Detective will call you to go over some details. In my case, he asked:
  • Have I ever been arrested
  • How long have I lived at my current address
  • How long have I owned a handgun
  • Was I around guns growing up
  • Was I a member of the Armed Forces
  • Go over good cause statement

He then told me that they meet as a committee to review the applications and choose then to either approve or deny the CCW. A letter will be mailed to you in about 2 weeks after the phone interview.

Again, there were no up front costs after the $20 filing fee. Make sure to come with a written Good Cause Statement. If you have several traffic violations (Like me!), don't go to the DMV. Go to the Courthouse (Sac one is the Carol Miller Center on Folsom/Bicentennial Circle). They can print up all the information you need and then some. The clerk helping me did this at no cost.

Good Luck everyone. Hopefully McDonald puts an end to this crap.
----------------------------
With my feet upon the ground, I move myself between the sound and Open wide to suck it in I feel It move across my skin
Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 AM

Look, I was joking and that was in bad taste.

However.

If it was me, I'd wait until McDonald to apply. Five friggin' days, guys. Seriously. Apply the day McDonald comes down. That will send an unmistakable "don't screw with me" message without you saying a word.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Since I recently went through the process, here is my .02 on what happens after submitting application to Amber:

About 10 - 14 days after, a Detective will call you to go over some details. In my case, he asked:

He then told me that they meet as a committee to review the applications and choose then to either approve or deny the CCW. A letter will be mailed to you in about 2 weeks after the phone interview.

Again, there were no up front costs after the $20 filing fee. Make sure to come with a written Good Cause Statement. If you have several traffic violations (Like me!), don't go to the DMV. Go to the Courthouse (Sac one is the Carol Miller Center on Folsom/Bicentennial Circle). They can print up all the information you need and then some. The clerk helping me did this at no cost.

Did you get approved then?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-24-2010, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

Can you explain what this is about?
Old 06-24-2010, 7:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I apologize for getting slightly off topic. I tried to get clarification on the issue in the other thread, started a thread in the CCW forum, and vie PM as well. So I did try several other avenues first. Thank you for the clarification.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 06-24-2010, 8:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
I apologize for getting slightly off topic. I tried to get clarification on the issue in the other thread, started a thread in the CCW forum, and vie PM as well. So I did try several other avenues first. Thank you for the clarification.
Guess you didn't get my PM's..
Old 06-24-2010, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMama View Post
Where did you get that info and what size silhouettes are they?
This info came from the CCW manual that is issued to students at one of the approved training companies. That page was provided to me by a Sac County CCW holder that I know. You can also find it online at one of the approved training company web sites. I believe the target is the standard B-27.

Last edited by jb7706; 06-24-2010 at 8:10 AM.. Reason: complete the answer
Closed Thread