Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

View Poll Results: I or someone I know would be interested in attending at the following location(s):
SF/Peninsula/South Bay area 50 16.84%
East Bay area 51 17.17%
Santa Rosa area 10 3.37%
NorCal area (please post Redding or Chico) 10 3.37%
Central Coast area 13 4.38%
Sacramento area 43 14.48%
Fresno area 15 5.05%
Bakersfield area 8 2.69%
Los Angeles area 49 16.50%
Inland Empire area 31 10.44%
Orange County area 52 17.51%
San Diego area 39 13.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2009, 9:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Calguns Outreach - Q&A Town Hall Meetings Coming to a City Near You!

In light of the substantial number of emails and PMs from Calgunners expressing interest in volunteering and the upcoming wave of outreach efforts, I'm going to make a tour of the state in the upcoming weeks to hold small "town hall" gatherings where we can meet each other, discuss goals, brainstorm and hopefully answer some of your questions as relate to these efforts.

To gauge where our limited resources and time could be best utilized, please take part in the poll and let us know if this is something that you feel would benefit you and others you know who are or may be involved. We're also looking for venues, so let us know if you know of anything that would work.

Your consideration is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to visiting with you soon!

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.

Last edited by wildhawker; 08-13-2009 at 9:42 PM..
Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
'm going to make a tour of the state in the upcoming weeks to hold small "town hall" gatherings....
Now you've done it. Gotta start making protest signs and crib sheets of protest chants right away.

Or should we handle it differently than when our representatives tell us it's treason to question them?

You know, the crib sheet is a good idea. If only the Town Hall people were that organized. I think the other side is....

Wait. Weren't we talking about Calguns or something?

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.

Last edited by 7x57; 08-13-2009 at 10:09 PM..
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Maybe Chris Matthews will interview people who OC to these town gall meetings....
Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Maybe Chris Matthews will interview people who OC to these town gall meetings....
Hey, great idea. Can we have them out in the sticks so we can all LOC while we meet?

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Hey, great idea. Can we have them out in the sticks so we can all LOC while we meet?

7x57
Yeah, like Brandon's job isn't hard enough! Please find LOC friendly locations in LA, Orange and San Mateo Counties.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Maybe instead of UOC of real firearms we have our holsters with voter registration cards stuffed in them. Maybe even folded into the shape of a handgun!

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry for completely derailing your thread Brandon. I'm in a bit of a spry mood tonight.

I will be happy to attend your Peninsula Town Hall and if you need logistical help on any of the others in this area let me know, I here to help.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Yeah, like Brandon's job isn't hard enough! Please find LOC friendly locations in LA, Orange and San Mateo Counties.
Private range at Burro.

We can not only LOC, we can LOC while BBQing behind the firing line.

7x57

Quote:
Old 08-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I am available for most of these Brandon.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Private range at Burro.

We can not only LOC, we can LOC while BBQing behind the firing line.

7x57
This would be ideal, actually. Would this be convenient enough for LA and IE people to combine into a Shoot-n-Q style event? Where would this put the OC (besides on Fox)?

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I could be available for most of them, too.

maybe, if it's ok with SWMBO.

East Bay could be held at my house, assuming less than 50 people.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This would be ideal, actually. Would this be convenient enough for LA and IE people to combine into a Shoot-n-Q style event?
Burro and Angeles are the two closest outdoor ranges to LA. IE has at least another choice or two but I don't think they are radically more convenient than Burro. So if it becomes a Shoot-n-Q, Burro would be the best place to be. They're also easy about private range rentals and will pretty much let you do whatever you want.

Quote:
Where would this put the OC (besides on Fox)?
I don't think they have an outdoor range closer either, given that I know an OC trainer who often uses Burro. LA basin seems to be an unfriendly place for outdoor ranges. It might be feasible to combine all three--but that would involve plenty of driving. The question is whether a shoot-n-Q will attract enough people to compensate for the driving. If so, this is the way to go.

7x57

Quote:
Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Whatever we do, we want to make sure it's accessible to the (current and future) volunteers and coordinators. That may mean a few stops on a road trip, which I'm ok with.

Old 08-14-2009, 5:19 AM

Let me know when you are ready for San Diego. I have an office we can use depending on the size of the group. We can also BBQ and I don't care if anyone UOC as I will be CCW myself. There is an indoor range not to far away and I can see if we can have a shoot out after the meeting.

Old 08-14-2009, 5:42 AM

I feel a thrill going up my leg.
Old 08-14-2009, 6:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstencil View Post
Let me know when you are ready for San Diego. I have an office we can use depending on the size of the group. We can also BBQ and I don't care if anyone UOC as I will be CCW myself. There is an indoor range not to far away and I can see if we can have a shoot out after the meeting.
Depending on how the meeting goes, maybe we should have the shootout before.

This would be fantastic Gary, thanks for once again stepping up and taking the lead.

Old 08-14-2009, 6:54 AM
Now in AZ

I like the Burro Canyn Shoot-n-Q idea!
Old 08-14-2009, 6:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The San Leandro Davis Street range is also just a few minutes from my house.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 08-14-2009, 7:34 AM
In Memoriam
CGN Contributor

I'm available for San Jose/SF bay area.
I tried to contact my representatives and find theis palns for townhall meetings but no luck so far. I guess theay are scared to meet with people now

Does anyone know the schedule for the Bay Area?
Old 08-14-2009, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Whatever we do, we want to make sure it's accessible to the (current and future) volunteers and coordinators. That may mean a few stops on a road trip, which I'm ok with.
You could do the shoot-n-Q and then have another meeting at some Southerly location for those who don't want to drive North. My guess is that for Burro it doesn't matter which county they're in but rather how far North or South they are. Maybe somewhere around Long Beach would split the difference for South LA county and OC?

7x57

Quote:
Old 08-14-2009, 8:43 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in OC and Burro is still a good place for me. I should be able to make the time for something like this
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 08-14-2009, 8:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Let me know the whens and wheres. East Bay or Chico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.
Old 08-14-2009, 9:06 AM

If there is a meeting anywhere between the East Bay to Sacramento I'll be there.
Old 08-14-2009, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Wildhawker,

What is the timeframe for this? I might be willing to be responsible for getting the range, if others organize the food and such.

7x57

Quote:
Old 08-14-2009, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm in as long as it is 2A centric. I am uninterested in "outreach" in any other politics.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 AM
In Memoriam

Definitely interested in attending a Los Angeles area meeting.

However in these politically charged times I think it's best we keep details about the meetings quiet and on a need to know basis. We don't want a bunch of anti protesters showing up - that would force us to break out the CalGuns tactical Anti Anti Dispersal Vehicle. And with gas prices being what they are that could break the bank...

Last edited by FastFinger; 08-14-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

If I'm not on a job, I can probably bring a couple tables and pop-ups to Angeles or Burro.

Vote for pro-gun candidates, or lose your rights, and the rights of future generations. That's it. The end.

"No one said life would be easy".
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Curtis, this is RKBA-specific.

7x57, I'd like to get a feel for where/how many locations and plan from there, but I'm thinking a kickoff in 2-3 weeks.

Fred, email me a draft secret handshake and a day rate on the anti anti rig rental
Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Sounds good to me. Angeles is the closest range, but I'm willing to go to Burro.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Head Janitor

I believe Angeles has a private range that can be rented out called Eagles Nest and I suspect Burro has private areas as well.

Angeles is closer to me but Burro is doable as well.
Let's find out some prices for rental and such and see what's going to work out best for as many as possible.

Depending on when and where I may be able to make a few of the So Cal meetings.
Don't forget the Ventura County area, I think we have a fair amount of members from there as well.

What is your idea on time frame and scheduling Brandon?
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:24 AM
CGN Contributor

Count me in on the Peninsula or SF*, Brandon.
And thank you very much.
/Cap

*what was I thinking?
In the final analysis, rights in a Republic are protected by the people themselves. If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.... Keep educating your neighbors and friends about the legacy of freedom that founded this nation and remind them what it takes to keep it free. --Don Kilmer
Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I believe Angeles has a private range that can be rented out called Eagles Nest and I suspect Burro has private areas as well.
Burro has plenty of private ranges, and pretty much lets you do what you want. I suspect they don't allow glass (or at least I hope so), but I've shot at fruit, old helium tanks, clay pigeons, bowling pins, and the like. I think as long as you clean up your mess, it's fine.

I've never been on the Angeles private range, but there must be a reason for the popularity of Burro's ranges. I would guess you'd pay more for the ability to do less.

Of course, if I made some phone calls I could quit speculating.

7x57

Quote:
Old 08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If we can nail down the locations, here's my first stab at an aggressive schedule for SoCal:

8/28/09 (morning) Fly into San Diego, (afternoon) SD/So. OC meeting, drive to LA area
8/29/09: (morning) Burro or I.E., (afternoon/evening) Oxnard
8/30/09: (morning) El Segundo/West LA, (afternoon) fly out of LAX

ETA: Free locations are best!

Quote:

Angeles is closer to me but Burro is doable as well.
Let's find out some prices for rental and such and see what's going to work out best for as many as possible.

Depending on when and where I may be able to make a few of the So Cal meetings.
Don't forget the Ventura County area, I think we have a fair amount of members from there as well.

What is your idea on time frame and scheduling Brandon?

Old 08-14-2009, 1:48 PM
In Memoriam

Might want to save an extra seat...

Old 08-14-2009, 1:59 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFinger View Post
Might want to save an extra seat...

P.S. Bring cookies.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 08-14-2009, 2:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
P.S. Bring cookies.

Just name the time and place in Sacramento, and I will be there. I am really never full of great ideas, but I will do what I can..
Old 08-14-2009, 4:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

And a spellchecker.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 08-14-2009, 4:16 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
And a spellchecker.
detales
Old 08-14-2009, 5:12 PM

Quote:
If we can nail down the locations, here's my first stab at an aggressive schedule for SoCal:

8/28/09 (morning) Fly into San Diego, (afternoon) SD/So. OC meeting, drive to LA area
8/29/09: (morning) Burro or I.E., (afternoon/evening) Oxnard
8/30/09: (morning) El Segundo/West LA, (afternoon) fly out of LAX

ETA: Free locations are best!
8/28 works for me. My office is in San Marcos 92078. It is at the North end of San Diego County and close to Southern Orange County. As I said before we can use my office for a meeting again depending on the size of the group. Let me know if you are interested.

Gay

Old 08-14-2009, 5:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstencil View Post
8/28 works for me. My office is in San Marcos 92078. It is at the North end of San Diego County and close to Southern Orange County. As I said before we can use my office for a meeting again depending on the size of the group. Let me know if you are interested.

Gay
Gary, I'm imagining 10-20. Would this work, and is there a place to grab some chow nearby afterward? ...maybe one that would kick a few bucks to Calguns if a decent group showed up?